PDA

View Full Version : Policy on Reunds

fignon's barber
12-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Just curious, what is the Paceline standard practice on refunds with regard to Classified sales? I recently sold a new size large Assos jacket and received a message demanding a refund because "somethings wrong because it doesn't fit" (?). I accepted the request, but just want to clarify the expectations here. I usually try to price my items 20 or 30% below what you can get on ebay for Paceline folks. Should I factor in full service returns?

jtakeda
12-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Just curious, what is the Paceline standard practice on refunds with regard to Classified sales? I recently sold a new size large Assos jacket and received a message demanding a refund because "somethings wrong because it doesn't fit" (?). I accepted the request, but just want to clarify the expectations here. I usually try to price my items 20 or 30% below what you can get on ebay for Paceline folks. Should I factor in full service returns?

Why would you buy something if you didn’t think it would fit?

Very nice of you to accept the return, I’d probably just list it for sale again and not sell anything to that buyer again

beeatnik
12-20-2017, 01:04 PM
The policy is buy retail.

tuxbailey
12-20-2017, 01:09 PM
I thought buying used is as is unless the item is damaged/misrepresented?

Otherwise, retail or eBay.

joosttx
12-20-2017, 01:10 PM
The policy is buy retail.

Word.

AngryScientist
12-20-2017, 01:10 PM
moved to general discussion, as this is.....a discussion.

my personal opinion is that the classifieds here are transactions between individuals. there is no broad policy or practice here and any terms of sale should be agreed upon on a case by case basis.

if we take your case here at face value - unless you told the buyer you would take it back if it didnt fit, i wouldnt issue a refund, and certainly if i did, i would not cover shipping. if you listed an assos size large, and the buyer received an assos size large - not fitting is not your problem.

this is my opinion and what i would do if it were sold to a person i didnt know. if it were a pal or someone i consider a friend of sorts, i'd work it out with them. anyone who "demands" a refund under these circumstances - is out of line.

kramnnim
12-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Please post about the experience in the feedback thread so others know not to sell to this individual

54ny77
12-20-2017, 01:18 PM
^^ Nailed it.

Good grief, was the buyer in 8th grade?

Unbelievable.

Please PM me who the buyer was because I will add them to my ignore list.

I have a laundry bag full of stuff I've bought from forum members over the years that fits like a sausage casing. My goof. No way I'm asking for a refund, that'd be ridiculous not to mention embarrassing.

As-is, baby. That's what a used item is.

BLD 25
12-20-2017, 01:19 PM
moved to general discussion, as this is.....a discussion.

my personal opinion is that the classifieds here are transactions between individuals. there is no broad policy or practice here and any terms of sale should be agreed upon on a case by case basis.

if we take your case here at face value - unless you told the buyer you would take it back if it didnt fit, i wouldnt issue a refund, and certainly if i did, i would not cover shipping. if you listed an assos size large, and the buyer received an assos size large - not fitting is not your problem.

this is my opinion and what i would do if it were sold to a person i didnt know. if it were a pal or someone i consider a friend of sorts, i'd work it out with them. anyone who "demands" a refund under these circumstances - is out of line.
agreed. Mighty nice of you to take the return, but that is pretty petty on the buyer's part.

Caveat emptor!

fignon's barber
12-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Agree. Check my classified ad. I even state, "be forewarned, this is a very snug fit". Full photos. And it was new. And sold for $90, not the $189 MSRP.

Clean39T
12-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Seriously. If you buy used clothes, you’re taking a risk it won’t fit and you can’t return it. But if you buy cheap here, you should be able to resell it here without much loss. End of story.

tuscanyswe
12-20-2017, 01:32 PM
The idea of buying clothing on here then returning it with the reason beeing ""somethings wrong because it doesn't fit" is completely laughable.

Who would even think of asking for a refund? Okay perhaps someone could politely ask for you to take it back since they completely misunderstood the sizing or something but to demand it? Please these are not the ppl i want to sell anything to tbh.

tbike4
12-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Please post about the experience in the feedback thread so others know not to sell to this individual

Please, and quickly so no one else will be burdened with dumbassery.

drewski
12-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Seriously. If you buy used clothes, you’re taking a risk it won’t fit and you can’t return it. But if you buy cheap here, you should be able to resell it here without much loss. End of story.

Seriously someone (person requesting refund)has a blind-spot in the area of social interaction.

tuxbailey
12-20-2017, 01:37 PM

Seconded/thirded/fourthed... Please use the feedback thread.

AngryScientist
12-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Seconded/thirded/fourthed... Please use the feedback thread.

haha, buyer is probably reading this thread now thinking he will never buy here again. definitely out him.

tuxbailey
12-20-2017, 01:40 PM
haha, buyer is probably reading this thread now thinking he will never buy here again. definitely out him.

Well, his choice. There are a lot of nice gears people sell here but it is definitely not a retail shop. I do hope we can someday incorporate Fredmiranda's system in the classified.

RobJ
12-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Very generous to accept the return, but to pile on that is the chance you take buying used clothing. And you provided more than enough details and it's a common item that the dimensions/sizing info can be found for all over the web.

Hope to read the thread in the feedback section later.

Jeff N.
12-20-2017, 01:58 PM
I'll usually accept a return on anything I sell here unless too much time has passed or, in some cases, their complaint is completely unfounded...and even then I'll usually (but not always) acquiesce. I did sell one bike a while back where, after 2-3 weeks, the buyer contacted me and said they'd like their money back because "it's just not working out". Well, I'm sorry, but...no. I'm not Home Depot.

Jaybee
12-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Since this is usually a used products market between friends, I always thought the “refund policy” was to put it up for sale again. Something like:

“Bought (item) from (member), but it’s not working out/doesn’t fit/whatever. Would like to pass it on for what I paid.”

If it is truly different than advertised, thentake it up with the seller.

glepore
12-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Since this is usually a used products market between friends, I always thought the “refund policy” was to put it up for sale again. Something like:

“Bought (item) from (member), but it’s by working out/doesn’t fit/whatever. Would like to pass it on for what I paid.”

^this. And tell him to ride in it, Assos stuff is notorious for feeling too tight off the bike.

DRZRM
12-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Word! Pass it back on to another buyer if it does not work out. That's nuts!

jlwdm
12-20-2017, 02:57 PM
I don't sell a lot here, but I always post measurements for clothing. Sizing is so random even within the same brand.

Jeff

zlin
12-20-2017, 03:14 PM
"somethings wrong because it doesn't fit" - Sounds like it's the Indian, not the arrow.

KarlC
12-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Just curious, what is the Paceline standard practice on refunds with regard to Classified sales? I recently sold a new size large Assos jacket and received a message demanding a refund because "somethings wrong because it doesn't fit" (?).

LOL no he didn't ...... really ?????

Thats just to funny, who does that ?

FlashUNC
12-20-2017, 03:23 PM
If it don't fit, that's on the buyer to figure out what to do. All sales on clothing are as-is imo.

I mean, Assos sizing charts are all over the interwebs.

Tony T
12-20-2017, 03:58 PM
I wonder if Amazon would get the same support here if they didn't accept a return for a jacket that didn't fit ;)
(…however, buyer should be responsible for shipping costs and a 'restocking' fee)

weisan
12-20-2017, 04:01 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/90/99/a5909916adaafec7d7586458ffdc02f0.jpg

djg21
12-20-2017, 04:08 PM

The policy is up to you as a seller. The forum is neither a babysitter nor the classifieds police.

As to returns, I’d suggest that you be reasonable. You presumably are not a retailer, and if you correctly described the goods, including size and condition, you certainly aren’t obligated to accept a return. Especially when it comes to cycling wear, sizes vary greatly from brand to brand and people on this forum certainly are aware of that fact. Maybe you should tell the purchaser that he should list the goods on the classifieds and resell them himself? That would be an appropriate response given that you warned the purchaser that the fit was “snug.”

Nor are the classifieds a charity, and you should not feel obligated to sell at prices lower than you could obtain elsewhere.

Black Dog
12-20-2017, 04:45 PM

“Bought (item) from (member), but it’s not working out/doesn’t fit/whatever. Would like to pass it on for what I paid.”

This and this and this again.

R3awak3n
12-20-2017, 04:51 PM
you were smart refunding him though, I would have done the same. Rather not deal with it, you don't want it? just return it to me, I am sure someone out there will want it + now I know never to sell you anything.

fignon's barber
12-20-2017, 05:53 PM
you were smart refunding him though, I would have done the same. Rather not deal with it, you don't want it? just return it to me, I am sure someone out there will want it + now I know never to sell you anything.

Pretty much my thoughts.

huck*this
12-20-2017, 07:42 PM
I have done this a few times with selling some clothing on HERE. If someone was on the fence about fit blah blah I would just give the scenario, pay me for it I will ship it to you. If it doesn't work I will refund your purchase price minus shipping. I see Paceline as a friendly community and if I can help someone else out to ease the sale, why not? I mean I'm probably selling it for 50% off the value anyways and if they return the product I just repost it or throw it on ebay for more money then I would have got here. No biggie.

Just a thought. But as AngrySci said there really is no policy. What ever you and the buyer agree on is the sale.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/129a51_6551e8f46c854a639b3e92261ce6eae9.jpg

TDot
12-20-2017, 09:16 PM

This. I recently bought something super awesome but knew that I took my chances in terms of size. The seller even went to the effort of measuring for me. I bought, still didn't fit right and the next day passed it along to another member for the exact same price. I took a minor hit on shipping, but that's the chance you take.

That said, it's good to be flexible given that this is a community. Case by case, but no one should feel any way about saying no to an unreasonable request especially where the ad states that the "fit is snug".

Tony T
12-21-2017, 11:18 AM
…I recently sold a new size large Assos jacket and received a message demanding a refund because "somethings wrong because it doesn't fit" (?). I accepted the request, but just want to clarify the expectations here

Didn't see your Ad in classifieds (and maybe you mentioned it already), but did the Ad indicate "No Refunds"? I only ask, as that is a standard 'mention' for an eBay listing.

huck*this
12-21-2017, 11:23 AM
eBay listing.

Agree but this isn't ebay and if I saw that in the listing it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Over PM sure. but this is a community not an auction site.

R3awak3n
12-21-2017, 11:26 AM
not to mention that on ebay there is no no returns, everything is returnable... really does not matter what you write in the listing, you play by the contract you signed with ebay.

on paceline, its similar but there is no contract for the classifieds AFAIK.

dbnm
12-21-2017, 11:30 AM
I don't do returns/refunds here or on ebay.

bikingshearer
12-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Not to in any way disparage or doubt the OP, but I'd be curious to hear the buyer's side of the story. I suspect it would not change my mind (which is to agree with the general "you're kidding, right?" tenor of the thread) but it would be interesting to understand the buyer's perspective, whatever it might be.

azrider
12-21-2017, 12:26 PM
but it would be interesting to understand the buyer's perspective, whatever it might be.

I think it's called "buyer remorse".

Kudos to OP for refunding. I sure as hell wouldn't have. I have purchased multiple items (shoes that I was unaware of exact sizing) or different clothing OEM that i've never worn and every time I've done so I know it's "at my own risk".

To do what the buyer did in this case is pretty piss poor atmo.

Tony T
12-21-2017, 01:24 PM
The buyers tone was wrong ("demanding a refund because "somethings wrong because it doesn't fit" (?)") but asking for a refund is not. Even the Seller didn't know if there was a policy here on refunds.

fignon's barber
12-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Not to in any way disparage or doubt the OP, but I'd be curious to hear the buyer's side of the story. I suspect it would not change my mind (which is to agree with the general "you're kidding, right?" tenor of the thread) but it would be interesting to understand the buyer's perspective, whatever it might be.

I did leave out the part where he questioned the authenticity because it wasn't in the 2018 catalogue (it's white and now they have yellow and black only. White is still in retailers.). Here's the original classified ad, pretty straight forward:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=214603

Honestly, I just started this thread to understand the expectations of the forum's classified process. As most disagreements are caused by miscommunication, I just wanted clarification. In the end, it's only a jacket.
For those that have urged me to put the transaction in the feedback, once I get item back I'll note the facts.

Clancy
12-21-2017, 03:09 PM
I like to think I'm selling to people that are like me in that we're all bike geeks to some extent. With that said, if a buyer receives an item from me and is unhappy, contacts me within 24 hours or so, I'll give a refund regardless the reason. They pay shipping back and once I receive it and confirm it's as it was when I shipped it, I'll refund the money.

When it comes to cycling I just think that's how it should be. Cycling is a passion for me and I expect most all here as well. It's how I'd like to be treated.

And, with that said, I think I've had to issue one refund in countless transactions.

I applaud what the op did. Buyers like that in all fairness are few and far between.

Kontact
12-21-2017, 03:56 PM
A different perspective:

Sales are private interactions. If you get a return request and you decide (because it is up to you) to accept a return, then accept it. And if you do accept a return it shouldn't suddenly be something that you punish the other party for requesting.

I hope the OP will keep his private interaction private. I doubt he explained to the buyer that honoring the return request would have permanent forum repercussions. If that had been discussed, the buyer might have chosen not to return it.

I'm certain the OP did nothing wrong, but if the buyer started a thread about receiving a jacket that appeared to be fake because of both color AND fit, there would be a bunch of you demanding he expose Fignon's Barber as a bad vendor.

Way too much 'brother's keeper' in our classifieds, IMO.

weisan
12-21-2017, 03:59 PM
I agree. My past observations and current reservations as well.

Let the yes be yes and the no be no. Honor.

Too many asking for blood. I don't like it.

William
12-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Post was deleted for posting personal information. Also at the OP's request for the same reason.

If you want to post again leave out the personal contact information.

William

AngryScientist
12-31-2017, 10:04 AM
seems the original situation is resolved, and there has been good discussion in this thread with food for thought with regard to classifieds transactions.

as always, fact based feedback in the feedback thread is encouraged.