PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Aero Wheels 50% off at Excel Sports

bthornt
12-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Might make a nice gift for someone on your list. I didn't know these wheels had DT 240 hubs. VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES!!

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Aero+46+Carbon+Wheelset&vendorCode=REYNOLDS&major=13&minor=1

Imaking20
12-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Your link is not to Reynolds Assault - those are the Aero line - which is the top of the line for Reynolds. Fantastic wheels... if you're into clinchers :)

bthornt
12-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Fixed it in the title, thanks for the correction.

NoMoreParagon
12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Might make a nice gift for someone on your list. I didn't know these wheels had DT 240 hubs. VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES!!

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Aero+46+Carbon+Wheelset&vendorCode=REYNOLDS&major=13&minor=1
very good wheels. I ride the new 2018 aero 46 disc model and its solid wheel. I would d say better than my ENVE :)

mistermo
12-20-2017, 01:04 PM
very good wheels. I ride the new 2018 aero 46 disc model and its solid wheel. I would d say better than my ENVE :)
Please elaborate. How better?

NoMoreParagon
12-20-2017, 01:10 PM
i am talking about the disc model and compare to say the 4.5AR Disc..
- cost about $1,200 less.
- much better rim profile..the rim profile is hooked so you can use both clincher and tubeless tires..the ENVE restricts you only to tubeless tire..
- from 2018 Reynolds started to use Industry 9 hubset. The Aero46DB uses the dedicated Straight Pull Centerlock I9 hub which is very good
- Reynolds Aero rim have the best crosswind handling of any other wheel I tried (ENVE, Zip, MAvic etc).

mistermo
12-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Have you seen that they've come out with the Assault LE, exclusive only to Canyon right now? It's Reynolds' verision of the ENVE 4.5AR, with wider width optimized for even wider tires.

NoMoreParagon
12-20-2017, 01:24 PM
i saw the released the ATR 700c version with a 30mm wide , 40mm deep rim which honestly looks great.
Reynolds in my honest view (and i been an ENVE guy for the past 4yrs) really stepped up a lot. They removed the ugly flashy decals, upgraded the hubset and lowered prices.
Tin my opinion, right now they offer a very solid product line

KarlC
12-20-2017, 02:01 PM
The Reynolds Aero Wheel line gets really great all around reviews, from the review writers and more importantly from end users.

I have a set of Reynolds 58 / 72 Aero tubular wheels, when comparing these to other wheels like my Zipp 404 Firecrest tubulars, I would pick the Reynolds. (partly based on the bike frame, see below)

The Reynolds are ....
- Lighter - The 58 / 72 tubs are right at 1300 grams
- Stiffer - They don't move side to side like the Zipp 404 are know to do
- Braking - Hands down the Reynolds are so much better, especially with the Reynolds Cryo Blue Power Brake Pads
- Better Quality - These things are a work of art
- Better Hubs - Mine came with DT Swiss 240s VS Zipp hubs with know issues
- Wider - Not has wide as some wheels but wider that the Zipp 404 Firecrest
- Faster - Its had to say but they do feel faster, and I have been setting new Strava PR's on every ride

On top of all that they just feel better all around, I have more confidence riding them, this brings miles of smiles.

Another thing to keep in mind, there are many pluses to a stiffer wheel, but on crap roads you may not enjoy the ride as much. This is even more the case with deeper wheels like my 72, it was a bit to ruff of a ride for me on some bike frames. A stiff carbon frame with stiff carbon wheels on crap roads can be no fun. It took my steel frame Colnago Master X lite to tame my 72 deep wheel, now that's a fast and fun ride combo.

I dont think the Reynolds Aero 46 or 58 would be issue, its the 72 + that you might want to think about if you have a stiff frame and crap roads. Of course this holds true with any set of stiff wheels.