PDA

View Full Version : Shimano centerlock to 6 bolt adapter - any downsides?

gforce
12-20-2017, 08:35 AM
I am currently running sram cx1 on my cx bike. My wheelsets are 6 bolt hubs using sram centerline rotors.
I am looking into buying a wheelset with shimano center lock hubs. Are there any downsides to using a shimano center lock to 6 bolt adapter?
Will this require fidling with cassette alignment when switching wheelsets with the sram 6 bolt hub wheels - thanks.

nmrt
12-20-2017, 08:41 AM
I have used it in my mountain bike and in my commuter bike for many years. No issues at all. But both my mountain bike and my commuter bikes are single speed. So, really cannot answer abut problems with cassette. But thinking about how the adapter works, I do not think there should be any issues of cassette alignment when switching wheelsets.

The adapter from Shimano or DT Swiss work great. No problems whatsover. As a matter of fact, if I had a choice, I'd go centerlock all the time.
Go for it!

I am currently running sram cx1 on my cx bike. My wheelsets are 6 bolt hubs using sram centerline rotors.
I am looking into buying a wheelset with shimano center lock hubs. Are there any downsides to using a shimano center lock to 6 bolt adapter?
Will this require fidling with cassette alignment when switching wheelsets with the sram 6 bolt hub wheels - thanks.

ColonelJLloyd
12-20-2017, 10:32 AM
I use the DT Swiss adapter and it's awesome. It's like buying a thru axle lock ring and getting the adapter for free.

I don't see the merits of Shimano's design. Why add that complication when DT's works so well? Eff a bunch of bolts.

John H.
12-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Are the hubs a different brand/model than your current hubs?
That will be the most likely driver as to whether cassette is in a different spot.

Why wouldn't you just buy a set of center lock rotors? Rotors are not so expensive- and you will have to buy the 6 bolt adaptor?

Shimano centerlock rotors are quite nice- They run true and last a long time if you keep up on changing pads.

vqdriver
12-20-2017, 11:21 AM
This

Why wouldn't you just buy a set of center lock rotors? Rotors are not so expensive- and you will have to buy the 6 bolt adaptor?

Shimano centerlock rotors are quite nice- They run true and last a long time if you keep up on changing pads.

HenryA
12-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Another for using center lock rotors.

NoMoreParagon
12-20-2017, 01:03 PM

dont think its a problem with Sram centerline..but if you run floating disc rotors with carbon core (such as the Carbon-Ti X-rotors) then the adapter is highly discouraged.

gforce
12-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Didn't know if their would be a problem mixing sram disc brakes with center lock rotors - if not, seems like the simplest solution.

NoMoreParagon
12-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. Didn't know if their would be a problem mixing sram disc brakes with center lock rotors - if not, seems like the simplest solution.

No problem at all. Actually you will be v pleased with Shimano or Campy Centerlock rotors. In my humble opinion better than Sram rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColnagoFan
12-20-2017, 05:21 PM

SRAM makes Centerlock rotors too...but probably more $ than the adaptors...

ColonelJLloyd
12-21-2017, 08:58 PM
No problem at all. Actually you will be v pleased with Shimano or Campy Centerlock rotors. In my humble opinion better than Sram rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've used high end centerlock rotors from Shimano (RT97 or RT99), Campy and SRAM/Avid (CenterlineX)?

NoMoreParagon
12-22-2017, 07:29 AM
You've used high end centerlock rotors from Shimano (RT97 or RT99), Campy and SRAM/Avid (CenterlineX)?

yeah i have used all 3. Sram always the worst in my opinion. Same for MTB..i lost count of how many MTB setups i saw with Sram 1x11 drivetrains and Shimano XT brakeset..
I think part of the reason is also due to the brake pad material SRAM uses for stock brake sets. I have used SRAM new road centerlock with upgraded Swiss Stop sintered pads and its behaving much better.