PDA

View Full Version : OT: Meaning of life and work: a take from the worlds oldest family business

William
12-20-2017, 08:32 AM
A very interesting look at a family business that has been running for over 1300 years...

The Hōshi family has run the inn bearing their name in Japan’s Ishikawa Prefecture for 1,300 years. Forty six generations have accepted the profession of their ancestors, but that same weight of tradition keeps the family sharply focused on the present moment.

Zengoro Hōshi refers to the concept Ichi-go ichi-e (一期一会) meaning "one time, one meeting", as his constant reminder to cherish each meeting with a customer, or friend, because no moment ever repeats. The term originated in the 16th Century with tea master Sen no Rikyū, and it's with a tea ceremony that all guests are first welcomed to the hotel (even before they are shown to their rooms).

The Hōshi Ryokan was founded in 716 with the discovery of a hot springs. The garden is relatively new, though it was designed by a 16th century garden master....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QfgKPGCAw

William

54ny77
12-20-2017, 08:49 AM
that is really awesome. thank you for posting that.

William
12-20-2017, 12:20 PM
that is really awesome. thank you for posting that.

Cherish every meeting, because no moment ever repeats. :beer:

William

Mzilliox
12-20-2017, 12:33 PM
We just spent a couple weeks in Japan. They are cultural miles ahead of us here in the ole USA. They are very impressive in what they value, and what they see as nonsense. We could learn many lessons form such an old and wise culture. I found this attitude to be very true in many businesses there.

Jad
12-20-2017, 12:35 PM
What a place to visit, and what a sense of time. Fascinating relationship between centuries that have gone by and each distinct, respected moment.

I like how the vignette is bracketed by Zengoro Hoshi's singing.

54ny77
12-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Actually, it does. Every painful time. It's called dinner with the in laws.

:bike:

because no moment ever repeats. :beer:

William

William
12-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Actually, it does. Every painful time. It's called dinner with the in laws.

:bike:

That was Ground Hog day. ;)

William

AngryScientist
12-20-2017, 01:56 PM
They are cultural miles ahead of us here in the ole USA.

i dont think it's fair to make broad generalizations like that. The "us" and "they" argument may hold true in many cases, but not universally the case. absolutes rarely are absolutely true.

to the original post though - very cool! i like the idea of being more present and living more "in the moment"

Tickdoc
12-20-2017, 02:08 PM
I went when I was twelve and it was a life changing experience. thanks for posting that.

jruhlen1980
12-20-2017, 03:31 PM
I first read this as "world's oldest business" and I was expecting an ENTIRELY different thread :D

numbskull
12-20-2017, 03:58 PM
"Weight of tradition", indeed. I guess if you are a child in that family you don't get much choice on how your future plays out.

Louis
12-20-2017, 04:26 PM
I first read this as "world's oldest business" and I was expecting an ENTIRELY different thread :D

Hmmm, I wonder if I was thinking about the same thing...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/22/02/336B576200000578-3553038-image-m-77_1461288948836.jpg

verticaldoug
12-20-2017, 04:52 PM
i dont think it's fair to make broad generalizations like that. The "us" and "they" argument may hold true in many cases, but not universally the case. absolutes rarely are absolutely true.

to the original post though - very cool! i like the idea of being more present and living more "in the moment"

There is another phrase in Japanese - ATARIMAE which means 'obvious or expected'.

The experience you see there is as expected from a traditional RYOKAN. Nothing special. Actually, pretty average.

I think in general the expectation in Japan for a high level of service is ATARIMAE. Why would you expect less? Good polite service at store, ATARIMAE. Polite Society - ATARIMAE.

There is a downside to the rigidity of expectations - DERU KUI WA UTARERU - literally - The peg that sticks out gets hammered down.

This is the part of Japan that gaijin don't get to see until you've lived there for awhile. As for those few minorities in Japan, that is another story altogether.
As a minority you can't help but stick out.