PDA

View Full Version : old 3 speed 70s lacing question...

ultraman6970
12-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Ok, was checking out the lacing of the mixte I found and the wheels have no overlapping spokes at the 3rd cross, was checking the bike of a friend and has the same thing, anybody knows why was that?? Softer wheels???

JUst curious because im going to replace the rims and the spokes, was wondering if there is a specific reason why the original hub/wheels were laced w/o overlapping spokes.

Any clue????

parris
12-19-2017, 10:17 PM
I've seen this on a number of 3 speed bike from the era. I may be wrong but it was probably done for production reasons.

ultraman6970
12-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Thought in that posibility aswell, but you never know sometimes the specific reasons why something is done one way in specific models of bikes and with several manufacturers.

Davist
12-20-2017, 06:25 AM
All the Schwinns were built this way. I have several older ones (midweights and stingrays, 16", 20", 24" and 26" wheels) and none are laced. Maybe it isn't necessary with the steel rims of the era? I don't have any alloy rim versions, but maybe they're laced?

oldpotatoe
12-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Ok, was checking out the lacing of the mixte I found and the wheels have no overlapping spokes at the 3rd cross, was checking the bike of a friend and has the same thing, anybody knows why was that?? Softer wheels???

JUst curious because im going to replace the rims and the spokes, was wondering if there is a specific reason why the original hub/wheels were laced w/o overlapping spokes.

Any clue????

Older bikes, sometimes those from the 'schwinn school' of wheel building, did this. I little quicker for the 'ladies' to lace..

Mark McM
12-20-2017, 08:53 AM
All the Schwinns were built this way. I have several older ones (midweights and stingrays, 16", 20", 24" and 26" wheels) and none are laced. Maybe it isn't necessary with the steel rims of the era? I don't have any alloy rim versions, but maybe they're laced?

Interlacing of spokes makes only a minor structural difference. The main affects of interlacing are practical: It improves derailleur/spoke clearance on derailleur bikes, and it helps prevent broken spokes from flopping around. In the case of very loose spokes, it provides a slight side load on the nipples to help prevent them from unscrewing. Any claims about interlacing helping to spread loads amongst spokes are exaggerated.

bart998
12-20-2017, 11:36 AM

This is probably right... steel rims so flex wasn't so much a concern.