PDA

View Full Version : Orucase price increase

notsew
12-19-2017, 02:46 PM
I've been thinking about getting an orucase for an upcoming trip to Hawaii and just got an email from them announcing that the price will go up $100 in the new year.

So this is partially a PSA and partially a gambit to try and get some feedback from folks that have one and a bigger bike (the larger size case - I ride a 57). Does it still work for you reletivly hassle free? Help convince me to pull the trigger.

Jcgill
12-19-2017, 09:45 PM
I was anticipating an increase in april when i ordered mine.....that is an awesome case for $400 still a deal at 500 in my opinion.

I detailed a recent trip to Denver in this thread:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=207511&highlight=Oru+case

Let me know if you have any specific questions not covered in the thread.
Bottom line: I don’t know why anyone would buy Scicon or Evoc bags for more than the Oru case knowing they are going to pay oversize charges every time they use it.

whateveronfire
12-20-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm bummed I didn't order one when I had a discount code from the Cookie Fondo.

I just bought a Scicon and am now feeling sorry about it.

572cv
12-20-2017, 12:24 PM
There have been other Orucase threads to which I have contributed.... basically, I have been through a few travel bag solutions and like this one the best.

Jcgill
12-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Another tidbit of information notsew:
I have never seen an airline employee with a tape measure at the airport. So even though you need a larger oru for your 57cm than i do for my 54cm i think you should still sneak by.
Most of the time they have a line so I doubt they will hold up a line to measure or argue about 62 linear inches.
The scicon and evoc bags get nailed because thay are huge and obvious....oru looks like a regular misshapen suitcase so i guess that is how it sneaks by.

Also I would make sure to not wear any cycling related shirts just to complete the trade show display rumor.

shovelhd
12-20-2017, 01:48 PM
It depends on the airport. I haven't had any trouble in the US with my cut down Ritchey case, which is slightly over the limit. However, in Amsterdam, they would not let it on the carousel because it wouldn't fit under a bar behind the counter. It had to go to the oversize area. I was not charged, and it arrived on the standard carousel at my US destination.

notsew
12-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Another tidbit of information notsew:
I have never seen an airline employee with a tape measure at the airport. So even though you need a larger oru for your 57cm than i do for my 54cm i think you should still sneak by.
Most of the time they have a line so I doubt they will hold up a line to measure or argue about 62 linear inches.
The scicon and evoc bags get nailed because thay are huge and obvious....oru looks like a regular misshapen suitcase so i guess that is how it sneaks by.

Also I would make sure to not wear any cycling related shirts just to complete the trade show display rumor.

That's a good point and helpful. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. It will be nice to ride my own bike on vacation. I'll just have to work on my poker face. Thanks!