PDA

View Full Version : Cross bike rear wheel re-build advice needed imho.

shinomaster
09-26-2006, 12:56 AM
So it would seem that my back wheel will only last a few more races before it may "esplode". It is not so true or tuned, and the brake surface is worn away.
It was a set of Campagnolo record hoops, with open pro's and double butted spokes I got from Quality Bicycle Products a few years back (probably wheelsmith).
They were Ok, but never super sturdy. I mean I broke a few spokes, and I almost never break spokes unless something is the matter. I am 144lbs and a weakling. I can get a new rim and have my lbs rebuild it. Or get a new rim and new spokes. Or just buy they exact same wheel for $180. new online, or at my friends shop in Boston.
If I get a new rim what should I get? DT, an aero rim , an ocr rim like a velocity or a ritchey? And what kind of spokes? It will be a clincher fyi...
I would like it to be strong and rather light. Any ideas?

shinomaster
09-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh yeah...it is a 32 hole hub, and I race in a lot of mud. I am also poor....so no Zipp rims.

ergott
09-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Shallow: Aerohead OC (offset rear)
Deep: IRD Cadence Aero (30mm)

I just started working with IRD and like what I see so far. The Cadence Aero is the same price as the Deep V and is about 100g lighter. No bad reports yet from me or any other builder I know. It is also labeled as a Niobium by others which is the element added to the alloy. Lighter, stiffer, better and all that jazz.

shinomaster
09-26-2006, 01:41 PM
What about spokes?

Marburg
09-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Doublebutted three cross, brass nips, should be more than adequate. At a buck 44, you aren't breaking spokes, the wheel build(er) is breaking spokes.

As for reusing spokes, I'm not a huge fan. Then again, a new rim + new spokes + build is going to come awful close to that $180 new wheel.

ergott
09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
What about spokes?

32 spokes for a 144lb rider:

Sapim Laser or DT Revolution
Sapim CX-Ray or DT Aerolite for bladed spokes

The chorus hubs are a great foundation for wheels. Even though the original wheels were cheep, the hubs are worth putting in an set of upgraded wheels of you want to go that route.