PDA

View Full Version : Caught red handed - cordless drill adapted with rotary saw blade

Veloo
12-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Toronto, this morning at 7 am.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bikepirates/permalink/10155593655673612/

eBAUMANN
12-18-2017, 07:06 PM
bahahahaha under a tarp...nice.

ultraman6970
12-18-2017, 07:07 PM
he doesnt want to get disturbed neither get the tools wet :) smart thinking.

:)

dddd
12-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Someone commented on the Facebook page that one should be able to park their bike as safely as they park a car, but without registration for the bikes or secure, indoor parking, that's a pipe dream until tracking and alarm devices are more universally employed.
I have a friend who parks her bike everywhere and uses only the alarm, and only lost one bike when it was left overnight.
We've watched a couple of alarm-trippers walk quickly away from the screeching bike and in both cases they took an L-shaped trajectory out of sight.

The blooming electric bike industry must keep the price and thus quality of their bikes modest for most of their sales, in large part because the bikes require no registration, so are easily resold after being stolen.
It at first seems odd to see such a still-expensive bike wearing department store-grade fork and components!

benb
12-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Did it look like that crackhead who used to be Mayor? ;)

marsh
12-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Moved 7 miles away from Chicago, it's amazing being able to leave the Poprad in a covered spot at the train station and not even have to lock up my wheels and Brooks or take off lights. Now I'm so paranoid when I ride to work in the city I sneak the bike into my office.

zzy
12-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Bike theft in TO has always been disgustingly common, even after Igor got popped. The police don't take it seriously, and few people report stolen bikes, so hey, no problem. He's only using the tarp to hide the sparks from the cutting disc.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2017, 10:58 AM
There's a certain dystopian nature of that whole thing. First, riding a bike in a place like Toronto in snowy, scuzzy winter. Yee gads. Then, parking it out on the street where a junky who spends his life walking around said city with serious tools that enable the theft of such a bike, can steal it. And does. Well, in this case, attempts to, but, you know he has a stash of crappy bikes somewhere. I don't know, it's the reason I moved out of the East Village a very long time ago. It's disgusting to live that way.

gemship
12-19-2017, 01:19 PM
The mention of not registering bikes got me thinking that perhaps it's about time we make it law to register a bike. I don't like having to pay for more vehicle registrations but I think if bicyclist want to be taken seriously on or off the road then register your bike along with following the rules of the road isn't such a bad idea.

dddd
12-20-2017, 12:59 AM
The mention of not registering bikes got me thinking that perhaps it's about time we make it law to register a bike. I don't like having to pay for more vehicle registrations but I think if bicyclist want to be taken seriously on or off the road then register your bike along with following the rules of the road isn't such a bad idea.

I wouldn't recommend supporting any legislation in support of bike registration.
Reason being that it will become a money grab, but will offer no services other than identifying bikes that can be identified as stolen.

Better to put technology to work, technology that is already available, though admittedly the hard-core urban bike theft rings will possibly find ways to keep from getting stung by such measures.

Since I no longer often ride in high-crime areas, I might only be able to suggest that in such environments that a good folding bike be considered that needn't be left unattended, either that or ride a seemingly worthless bike such as a typical garage-sale $40 purchase, the grungier the better.

josephr
12-20-2017, 08:44 PM
There's a certain dystopian nature of that whole thing. First, riding a bike in a place like Toronto in snowy, scuzzy winter. Yee gads. Then, parking it out on the street where a junky who spends his life walking around said city with serious tools that enable the theft of such a bike, can steal it. And does. Well, in this case, attempts to, but, you know he has a stash of crappy bikes somewhere. I don't know, it's the reason I moved out of the East Village a very long time ago. It's disgusting to live that way.

sorry to keep harping on a point....but how come no one talks about where these bikes are going and who's buying them? recently a riding buddy had his 63cm Gunnar Roadie swiped from his backyard storage unit. It wasn't a really common color and was a custom set-up. We've been watching CL, FB, PinkBike, etc for a few months now and no hits anywhere. If anyone local bought it from a pawn shop and tried to ride it, it'd be recognized instantly at any group ride.

These bikes are going somewhere and there's an underground transportation system funneling them there. Until you stop the buyers, there's always gonna be thieves.

Fatty
12-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Moved 7 miles away from Chicago, it's amazing being able to leave the Poprad in a covered spot at the train station and not even have to lock up my wheels and Brooks or take off lights. Now I'm so paranoid when I ride to work in the city I sneak the bike into my office.

Good luck with that. I live in a town that is second to the last Metra stop from the city, and guess what? Bikes get stolen. Not as often for sure but gone nevertheless.