PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2015, 16, 17 VW Golf / GTI / Sportwagen updates?

eddief
12-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Seemed a while back there were a bunch a folks who'd purchased these models just cuz or just out of a TDI. I was one who got a 2016 Sportwagen Limited with auto trans.

I am still loving it and have found almost nothing not to like about it. Good comfort, speed, quiet, handling, sound, ergo, tech, build quality, economy = 28 mpg average on regular. Now addicted XM radio.

Only 10K miles so far and so far only one trip to the dealer for oil change and rotation.

Occasionally I jump on it to move out in front of fast coming traffic and it seems to hesitate and then over accelerate. This happens almost never. And then I wish the covered bin in front of the shifter was 8 times bigger. All else pretty much a delight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UUH64CRlvYOvyk222

FlashUNC
12-18-2017, 03:59 PM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?5378-Golf-SportWagen-VII

R3awak3n
12-18-2017, 05:44 PM
I love mine still. I bought in August, already put 12k miles on it. Couple of 1600 miles trips and I drive it every weekend from the Catkills to NYC and then back up.

Speedy car, almost never feel the need for more power. Drives VERY well, super impressed. Gas mileage is amazing. Always get 30mph, on the long trips (in summer) I got 38mph.

My only complaints so far are the headlights. They are garbage. VW should be ashamed to offer such garbage, they are borderline dangerous. Specially upstate where its pitch dark. I went ahead and put on some aftermarket golf R replica lights with hid kit. Looks better and the light output is much better.

Another annoying thing, that they fixed on 2018, is that to get into apple car play you have to eat 2 buttons instead of one. Not the biggest deal but its annoying. And also you have to plug the cable for the phone to work with carplay, wish it did it through bluetooth (its coming in the future, BMW already has it so future vws will too).

Apart from that I am very into it. I just got some springs for mine, going to lower it 1.6in and going to put some wheels on it (keep stock rims with winter tires for winter).

https://i.imgur.com/SLWSAf6.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/bnXfKlf.jpg?1

David Kirk
12-18-2017, 05:59 PM
I have about 8000 miles on the "new" 2015 TDi I bought when I turned in my 2013 TDi.

It's working very well for me with very good mileage (about 41 mpg average so far) and I like most everything about the car. It's got the DSG and it took me a bit to get used to letting it do its thing but it really does work very well.

And I can get two fat bikes in the back. Not bad.

dave

thwart
12-18-2017, 08:49 PM
8500 miles, so far averaging 31.9 mpg on my '17 Sportwagen 4-motion S with 6 spd MT.

The only thing I'd change about the car is the new cruise control location. The old very intuitive VW/Audi stalk mounted controls are now on the steering wheel... making it a bit less of a 'driver's car' at least IMO.

OK... yes, the stock headlights are a little underwhelming, although much less of a sharp cutoff of illumination than my wife's Prius.

OK, OK... :rolleyes: touching the clutch no longer disengages the cruise... which I suppose for some may actually be a welcome change.

Other than those nitpicks, a great car. I'd buy it again and I'd wait for it if it wasn't in stock.

And my wife would trade her Prius for it, and not just because of the stock seat warmers. :D

tv_vt
12-18-2017, 08:50 PM
If there were more manuals out there, I'd be driving a 2017 JSW 4motion, but they are almost impossible to find, and tough to get a good price on, since dealers know they can sell them easy. Seems like there are about 100 DSG cars for every manual, if not more. Manual Alltracks are even harder to find.

So I'm sticking with my 2014 JSW 5spd 2.5L fwd for now.

R3awak3n
12-18-2017, 08:59 PM
yeah I had to order mine, the manuals are impossible to find and I barely got any money down on mine

hollowgram5
12-18-2017, 09:05 PM
A Sportwagen with 4motion and a manual is on my list to replace my 2013 TDi when the time comes later this year. Or an Alltrack SEL, the second option is to keep the lady happy, as she prefers not to drive a manual. A buddy picked up an SEL and loves it so far; traded in a 3series xDrive wagon on it.

There are some other options out there but I've really enjoyed the 90k miles I've put on my 2013 TDi 6MT and it makes me want another..

R3awak3n
12-18-2017, 09:19 PM
its too bad you can't get options on the base models. I want a base model with leatherette and lighting package.

GonaSovereign
12-18-2017, 09:42 PM
I love my Mk7 GTI. Manual, of course. Just like my Mk1 was...albeit with two more gears.

I got the Autobahn with upgraded seats. The thing is fine off the line with only a bit of turbo lag, can handle corners very well, and I can stuff dogs, bikes, cottage stuff in the back. When it fills up, the bikes go on the roof. It replaced a wagon, and while the extra space was great occasionally, most of the time I prefer the smaller car.

R3awak3n
12-18-2017, 09:43 PM
I love my Mk7 GTI. Manual, of course. Just like my Mk1 was...albeit with two more gears.

I got the Autobahn with upgraded seats. The thing is fine off the line with only a bit of turbo lag, can handle corners very well, and I can stuff dogs, bikes, cottage stuff in the back. When it fills up, the bikes go on the roof. It replaced a wagon, and while the extra space was great occasionally, most of the time I prefer the smaller car.

I would have considered a GTI but I wanted the 4motion. Wanted the R but just way more money than I wanted to spend. Now what I really want is the R Wagon

Hakkalugi
12-18-2017, 09:50 PM
I have 25,000 miles (since January ‘17) in my Sportwagen S with 4motion. No complaints at all, except I’ve put 25,000 miles on in less than a year. 2 weeks ago I was parked and finishing a phone call when the guy to my right backed out and dragged his bumper down the length of my car. He did $6100 in damage because, you know, looking out the driver’s side window is hard to do. Its in the shop for the next 2weeks or more, so my 03 Tundra is back to being the daily driver instead of the bike hauler.

Ken Robb
12-18-2017, 10:19 PM
I love mine still. I bought in August, already put 12k miles on it. Couple of 1600 miles trips and I drive it every weekend from the Catkills to NYC and then back up.

Speedy car, almost never feel the need for more power. Drives VERY well, super impressed. Gas mileage is amazing. Always get 30mph, on the long trips (in summer) I got 38mph.

My only complaints so far are the headlights. They are garbage. VW should be ashamed to offer such garbage, they are borderline dangerous. Specially upstate where its pitch dark. I went ahead and put on some aftermarket golf R replica lights with hid kit. Looks better and the light output is much better.

Another annoying thing, that they fixed on 2018, is that to get into apple car play you have to eat 2 buttons instead of one. Not the biggest deal but its annoying. And also you have to plug the cable for the phone to work with carplay, wish it did it through bluetooth (its coming in the future, BMW already has it so future vws will too).

Apart from that I am very into it. I just got some springs for mine, going to lower it 1.6in and going to put some wheels on it (keep stock rims with winter tires for winter).

https://i.imgur.com/SLWSAf6.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/bnXfKlf.jpg?1

1.6 inches is quite a bit to lower a car you want to enjoy on the street. Don't get rid of your stock wheels until you're sure you like you lowered car. Usually springs that lower a car that much also require new shocks/struts for optimum results.

likebikes
12-19-2017, 12:49 AM
i think vw guys usually slam them to the ground on cut springs.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2017, 06:48 AM
8500 miles, so far averaging 31.9 mpg on my '17 Sportwagen 4-motion S with 6 spd MT.

The only thing I'd change about the car is the new cruise control location. The old very intuitive VW/Audi stalk mounted controls are now on the steering wheel... making it a bit less of a 'driver's car' at least IMO.

OK... yes, the stock headlights are a little underwhelming, although much less of a sharp cutoff of illumination than my wife's Prius.

OK, OK... :rolleyes: touching the clutch no longer disengages the cruise... which I suppose for some may actually be a welcome change.

Other than those nitpicks, a great car. I'd buy it again and I'd wait for it if it wasn't in stock.

And my wife would trade her Prius for it, and not just because of the stock seat warmers. :D

About 14k on mine, same car except DSG and I really love it. Don't really ever use cruise control but yes, not really intuitive(kinda like etap shifting..:)<-KIDDING...don't get excited).

I swapped the donut spare for a full sized spare from the 2013 TDI I turned in and I wonder how long the rear hatch cover/camera will last but so far...30 mph, easy, fun to drive..great in the snow.

R3awak3n
12-19-2017, 07:12 AM
1.6 inches is quite a bit to lower a car you want to enjoy on the street. Don't get rid of your stock wheels until you're sure you like you lowered car. Usually springs that lower a car that much also require new shocks/struts for optimum results.

I will not get rid of the stock wheels for sure, tehy will get winter tires.

1.6 is a bit but hopefully not a ton. These springs I got apparently maibtain some ride quality, we will see. Their sales pitch is that they are linear and similar to oem, so ride quality is maintained and no need to change shocks for a while. But we will see, this is my daily so I dont want no uncorfortable car.

I wouldnt even lower it but stock just looks ridiculous, if I wanted a lifted car I would have bought an all track.

This is a car with those springs, not too low -

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0316/3901/products/SB2A2328_large.jpg?v=1494612327

BikeNY
12-19-2017, 08:13 AM
I've got about 13,000 miles on a 'new' 2015 Golf Sportwagon SE TDI 6MT. Previous car was a 2010 Golf TDI 6MT that was going to be turned in until my wife totaled it:mad:

The 2015 is so much nicer than the 2010! I've got nothing to complain about, love the car. On trips I get between 45 and 50 mpg according to the trip computer, which I know is 'optimistic'. In reality it's probably around 42 to 45mpg, not too shabby. I kind of miss not having Carplay and a USB port, but I just ran a USB cable to the center armrest and tucked it under the plastic trim to keep it there, use a cigarette lighter USB adapter, and put my phone on a magnetic mount in one of the vents. Works great for Waze, which is what I use the most, and I can still stream music over bluetooth.

My ultimate car would be an Alltrack TDI 6MT, but unfortunately, it'll never happen. I decided the TDI was more important than the AWD. The snow tires/wheels form my old Golf even fit the new car, and I can get anywhere I need to go with the snows, which is driving from southern NY to central VT every weekend in the winter.

BikeNY
12-19-2017, 08:16 AM

1.6 is a bit but hopefully not a ton. These springs I got apparently maibtain some ride quality, we will see. Their sales pitch is that they are linear and similar to oem, so ride quality is maintained and no need to change shocks for a while. But we will see, this is my daily so I dont want no uncorfortable car.

I wouldnt even lower it but stock just looks ridiculous, if I wanted a lifted car I would have bought an all track.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0316/3901/products/SB2A2328_large.jpg?v=1494612327

While that looks great, I'd never want to lower mine. I've even considered raising it! With the road conditions in the Northeast, potholes, dirt roads, etc. it would be asking for trouble. If I lived in Florida it'd be a different story!

makoti
12-19-2017, 08:17 AM

This is a very timely thread for me. I am now in the buying phase. I have a Mazda3 2.5 hatch that after 14 years & 160K is giving it up. I drove a '17 GTI S. The dealer seems to be pushing them out. Loved how it drives, but I worry about VW reliability. I had very little go wrong with my 3. Any longterm owners want to chime in about the reliability?

BikeNY
12-19-2017, 08:25 AM
This is a very timely thread for me. I am now in the buying phase. I have a Mazda3 2.5 hatch that after 14 years & 160K is giving it up. I drove a '17 GTI S, although it looks like an SE may be available for about $1500 more. The dealer seems to be pushing them out. Loved how it drives, but I worry about VW reliability. I had very little go wrong with my 3. Any longterm owners want to chime in about the reliability?

My 2010 Golf TDI was super reliable. I put over 110,000 miles on it with no issues at all besides routine maintenance.

carpediemracing
12-19-2017, 08:39 AM
I don't have one but a coworker (car place) has a Jetta and said that motor mounts really made a huge difference in engine response. It's sort of like a squishy shoe vs a stiff shoe on a bike. You can see the engine moves less in the bay when you rev it.

I did a similar mod to my car. I don't know if they're available for VW but I'm sure they are - I installed polyurethane motor mount "filler" pieces - they basically fill all the gaps of the stock motor mount with poly, and you end up with a much stiffer mount without having to remove the OEM mount.

Hardlyrob
12-19-2017, 09:10 AM
I drove a '17 GTI S. The dealer seems to be pushing them out. Loved how it drives, but I worry about VW reliability. I had very little go wrong with my 3. Any longterm owners want to chime in about the reliability?

I have about 14,000 miles on my '17 GTI SE and wouldn't change a thing. This is our fourth VW over the past 20 years or so '98 Jetta; '04 Passat Wagon; '11 JSW TDI and the GTI. We had zero problems with the '98 Jetta over 160,000 miles - brakes and tires, struts at 140,000 - to be expected and nothing else. The Passat lost a timing belt that did a lot of damage, but was covered under a class action settlement - so no net cost over about 100,000 miles. We had zero problems with the JSW TDI for 78,000 miles until the buy back, and so far nothing with the GTI.

I can't speak for everyone, but we have had fewer problems with the VW's than with other brands owned over the same time frame.

Hardlyrob
12-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Makoti - get the SE - comes with power package an extra 10 HP, but the big difference is the electronic limited slip differential. It also comes with the light package which is a huge improvement over stock. The sunroof is also nice.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2017, 09:32 AM
I have about 14,000 miles on my '17 GTI SE and wouldn't change a thing. This is our fourth VW over the past 20 years or so '98 Jetta; '04 Passat Wagon; '11 JSW TDI and the GTI. We had zero problems with the '98 Jetta over 160,000 miles - brakes and tires, struts at 140,000 - to be expected and nothing else. The Passat lost a timing belt that did a lot of damage, but was covered under a class action settlement - so no net cost over about 100,000 miles. We had zero problems with the JSW TDI for 78,000 miles until the buy back, and so far nothing with the GTI.

I can't speak for everyone, but we have had fewer problems with the VW's than with other brands owned over the same time frame.

I've owned 8 VWs over the years and all have been very reliable..

2000 Beetle, 125,000 miles, a few headlights, a window motor...a sensor that caused it to quit but only about $50 to fix..

GonaSovereign
12-19-2017, 09:34 AM
I would have considered a GTI but I wanted the 4motion. Wanted the R but just way more money than I wanted to spend. Now what I really want is the R Wagon

I got my GTI as soon as it hit these shores, and couldn't wait 18-20 months for an R. If I had the option, I would have taken a deep breath and paid the extra for the R. That R Variant wagon is very, very nice.

saab2000
12-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Waiting for the 2018 GTI. No word yet on VW's website but occasional glimpses on YouTube. Small power and brake upgrade and some electronic infotainment upgrades.

Looking for them to arrive. my 2004 is getting old and tired.

makoti
12-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Makoti - get the SE - comes with power package an extra 10 HP, but the big difference is the electronic limited slip differential. It also comes with the light package which is a huge improvement over stock. The sunroof is also nice.

Yeah, I messed that up. Different dealer is offering a Golf SE for $1500 more. The other is a GTI S. Not sure how to equate those two. the SE has a 1.8L, the GTI 2.0L. Both auto. The sunroof is ok, but the other stuff you get on the SE would be the reason I did that. I really hate car shopping.

shovelhd
12-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I messed that up. Different dealer is offering a Golf SE for $1500 more. The other is a GTI S. Not sure how to equate those two. the SE has a 1.8L, the GTI 2.0L. Both auto. The sunroof is ok, but the other stuff you get on the SE would be the reason I did that. I really hate car shopping.

There is really no comparison between a Golf SE and GTI. The GTI is a very different car. Much quicker and faster, better handling, more upscale. The Golf is a family hatchback, but the GTI is a rocketship.

The adaptive HID headlamps make such a big difference, VW offered them as a standalone option, and as part of a basic package upgrade in the past. I wouldn't buy any VW without them. I believe the 2018's will have LED headlamps on all trims, which hopefully will reduce the advantage.

My 2009 MkV GTI is my seventh VW. Do not expect them to be as reliable as the competition. Take good care of them, and they will provide a long service life.

Ken Robb
12-19-2017, 12:19 PM

I meant to add "don't get rid of the stock springs until you are sure you like the ride/performance with the lower ride height."

saab2000
12-19-2017, 12:29 PM
There is really no comparison between a Golf SE and GTI. The GTI is a very different car. Much quicker and faster, better handling, more upscale. The Golf is a family hatchback, but the GTI is a rocketship.

The adaptive HID headlamps make such a big difference, VW offered them as a standalone option, and as part of a basic package upgrade in the past. I wouldn't buy any VW without them. I believe the 2018's will have LED headlamps on all trims, which hopefully will reduce the advantage.

My 2009 MkV GTI is my seventh VW. Do not expect them to be as reliable as the competition. Take good care of them, and they will provide a long service life.

This is all correct. The GTI is a bit of a specialty car for folks who like the handling and performance. It's not an ideal family car. It's made for people who know what it is and seek out this type of performance.

It should be cross shopped with other hot hatches, not with other VWs.

R3awak3n
12-19-2017, 12:31 PM

yes, if given the choice get HID lights. Its not that halogens are terrible but the vw halogens are terrible.

2018 has LED DRLs but not LED lights, still the same crappy halogens. VW wants to sell you the lights and only make them available on higher trims (on the tiguan for example, only the SEL premium will have the LED lights).

NHAero
12-19-2017, 12:37 PM
So there are TDI wagons here in the US that are post-debacle, not part of the turn-in program? Did they develop a legit emission control system for these? If so, why wasn't this system retrofittable?
Not a VW guy, so maybe I didn't follow this carefully enough!

I've got about 13,000 miles on a 'new' 2015 Golf Sportwagon SE TDI 6MT. Previous car was a 2010 Golf TDI 6MT that was going to be turned in until my wife totaled it:mad:

The 2015 is so much nicer than the 2010! I've got nothing to complain about, love the car. On trips I get between 45 and 50 mpg according to the trip computer, which I know is 'optimistic'. In reality it's probably around 42 to 45mpg, not too shabby. I kind of miss not having Carplay and a USB port, but I just ran a USB cable to the center armrest and tucked it under the plastic trim to keep it there, use a cigarette lighter USB adapter, and put my phone on a magnetic mount in one of the vents. Works great for Waze, which is what I use the most, and I can still stream music over bluetooth.

My ultimate car would be an Alltrack TDI 6MT, but unfortunately, it'll never happen. I decided the TDI was more important than the AWD. The snow tires/wheels form my old Golf even fit the new car, and I can get anywhere I need to go with the snows, which is driving from southern NY to central VT every weekend in the winter.

PoppaWheelie
12-19-2017, 12:47 PM
This is all correct. The GTI is a bit of a specialty car for folks who like the handling and performance. It's not an ideal family car. It's made for people who know what it is and seek out this type of performance.

We're getting along quite nicely with the Golf R that replaced our TDI after surrender. I have two pretty big kids that seem to fit ok in the back, a hitch for my bike rack and we stick a giant Yakima box on top for road trips. We drive it everywhere...

That being said, I fear the recent addition to a possibly large dog may have broken the system. For us, luggage would go on top and we have a huge Coleman cooler that JUST fits in the trunk...which is now pooch territory.

R3awak3n
12-19-2017, 12:49 PM

unless you are talking wrxs and ford STs which are faster but look like crap on the inside. The GTI can easily be a family car. Has tons of space, very comfortable ride.

hollowgram5
12-19-2017, 12:54 PM
So there are TDI wagons here in the US that are post-debacle, not part of the turn-in program? Did they develop a legit emission control system for these? If so, why wasn't this system retrofittable?
Not a VW guy, so maybe I didn't follow this carefully enough!Yes. There are a variety of them, and the 2015 cars can be had still. At this point I would anticipate slim pickings at VW dealers, but your search results may vary.

One was on my list, but I haven't yet made a decision on what I'll do with my 2013 Golf TDi. If I can find a GSW with a TDi and 6MT, I might be inclined to update, however mileage is almost as good on the gas motors that others are cruising in.

saab2000
12-19-2017, 01:01 PM
unless you are talking wrxs and ford STs which are faster but look like crap on the inside. The GTI can easily be a family car. Has tons of space, very comfortable ride.

This is true too. It is a very usable space. It can certainly be used for families. And in fact, in Europe, this is a normal sized car for many people. And yes, the competition has usually got hideous styling and cheap material quality inside.

thwart
12-19-2017, 01:08 PM
One was on my list, but I haven't yet made a decision on what I'll do with my 2013 Golf TDi. If I can find a GSW with a TDi and 6MT, I might be inclined to update, however mileage is almost as good on the gas motors that others are cruising in.

My own personal experience is about 8-10 mpg lower fuel mileage... Had about 35K on my '13 Golf tdi, and now about 8.5K on the '17 GSW. FWIW, both 6 MT, but the GSW is 4-motion. Similar driving patterns.

p nut
12-19-2017, 01:16 PM
My own personal experience is about 8-10 mpg lower fuel mileage... Had about 35K on my '13 Golf tdi, and now about 8.5K on the '17 GSW. FWIW, both 6 MT, but the GSW is 4-motion. Similar driving patterns.

I'd venture to guess half of the MPG disparity is due to the AWD. So factoring that in, gas engine option isn't that bad at all, considering less up front cost, and lower maintenance expenses.

chwupper
12-19-2017, 01:32 PM

And if you'd like comparable hp to those other, style-challenged cars, a mere $400 will get you there:

http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_volkswagen_Group2_JB1_tuner.html

thwart
12-19-2017, 01:45 PM
I'd venture to guess half of the MPG disparity is due to the AWD.

From what folks have posted here about their mpg in the '17 FWD cars, I kinda doubt that.

And the newer 4-motion is (IIRC) more fuel efficient than the quattro system in my old '00 Audi A4... which probably did have a 10-15% effect. Or more.

shovelhd
12-19-2017, 01:56 PM
From what folks have posted here about their mpg in the '17 FWD cars, I kinda doubt that.

And the newer 4-motion is (IIRC) more fuel efficient than the quattro system in my old '00 Audi A4... which probably did have a 10-15% effect. Or more.

I can easily see the 4-Motion and +GSW add up to -3mpg over a Golf TDI.

R3awak3n
12-19-2017, 02:59 PM
And if you'd like comparable hp to those other, style-challenged cars, a mere $400 will get you there:

http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_volkswagen_Group2_JB1_tuner.html

APR also does VW tunes, puts the GTI to close to 300hp, other brands have the same stuff though, any turbo car can take a tune and go up x amount of hp. I am going to chip my sportwagen, it will be great. GTIs though, the power is great, with front wheel drive, there is a limit of power before you just spin your front wheels on everything you do

jamesau
12-19-2017, 03:01 PM
My daughter and brother each have Mk7 manual GTIs. They're great cars. My brother's has been trouble-free. My daughter has had problems with the panoramic sunroof but that's been handled under warranty.

Biggest change for 2018 models is the 6-year transferrable warranty.

saab2000
12-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Here's a bit of info on the 2018s. I wish the Golf R brakes were available on the S version. Going up a notch brings with it a sunroof, which I never use and don't have on my current GTI.

I'm curious when these will show up on the website to see how they can be optioned.

I would consider getting another one. The SE is probably the way I'd go despite the sunroof.

https://media.vw.com/en-us/press-kits/2018-golf-gti-press-kit

R3awak3n
12-19-2017, 03:08 PM
My daughter and brother each have Mk7 manual GTIs. They're great cars. My brother's has been trouble-free. My daughter has had problems with the panoramic sunroof but that's been handled under warranty.

Biggest change for 2018 models is the 6-year transferrable warranty.

yeah I about bought a tiguan for the wife, 6 year warranty is pretty amazing. Only reason I wish I had waited for the 2018.

Also, the pano sunroofs are know to leak. Its cool as hell, but I would hate to deal with leaks.

BikeNY
12-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Not a VW guy, so maybe I didn't follow this carefully enough!

There are no 'post debacle' TDIs. Only TDIs that were part of the debacle and had a emission fix approved. The 'new' 2015 TDI cars were cars that were on the dealer lots when the scandal broke, sat around for 2 years or so until there was an approved emission fix, then were fixed and were sold as new, with a hefty price discount and incredibly long warranty. There were Golfs, Sportwagons, Jettas, and Passats in that group, maybe beetles too. Other older cars also have approved fixes, and if people still have them, they can get them fixed and pocket about $5100, let VW buy them back, or do nothing and just keep driving them.

Edit: And VW and Audi have both said there will be no more TDIs coming to the US, ever. Unless the emission standards change of course...

batman1425
12-19-2017, 03:16 PM
I got my GTI as soon as it hit these shores, and couldn't wait 18-20 months for an R. If I had the option, I would have taken a deep breath and paid the extra for the R. That R Variant wagon is very, very nice.

I wasn't part of the buyback, and swore I would never have another VAG product after my experience with an '07 A3, but I love my '16 R. The stock power is intoxicating and it is easy to take them over 400hp with a tune and a few smart bolt ons. Stage 2 DSG cars can run consistent 11s 1/4 miles. That's Italian exotic territory for under 50k all in, and its a perfectly functional family car. Close to the perfect vehicle IMO.

NHAero
12-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Thank you for this explanation, I missed it that there was actually a fix. Early on I thought I read that there wasn't physical space to do the urea injection fix, so is there a different fix, and is the same fix applicable across all the affected vehicles?

There are no 'post debacle' TDIs. Only TDIs that were part of the debacle and had a emission fix approved. The 'new' 2015 TDI cars were cars that were on the dealer lots when the scandal broke, sat around for 2 years or so until there was an approved emission fix, then were fixed and were sold as new, with a hefty price discount and incredibly long warranty. There were Golfs, Sportwagons, Jettas, and Passats in that group, maybe beetles too. Other older cars also have approved fixes, and if people still have them, they can get them fixed and pocket about $5100, let VW buy them back, or do nothing and just keep driving them.

Edit: And VW and Audi have both said there will be no more TDIs coming to the US, ever. Unless the emission standards change of course...

R3awak3n
12-19-2017, 03:30 PM
I wasn't part of the buyback, and swore I would never have another VAG product after my experience with an '07 A3, but I love my '16 R. The stock power is intoxicating and it is easy to take them over 400hp with a tune and a few smart bolt ons. Stage 2 DSG cars can run consistent 11s 1/4 miles. That's Italian exotic territory for under 50k all in, and its a perfectly functional family car. Close to the perfect vehicle IMO.

I agree. I really wanted one and did look around, 32k used with not many miles. Sometimes I regret not going that way but then the wagon becomes very useful when I hauling stuff. I also love the way wagons look.

When I was looking at Rs, I looked at the ford RS as well and its just not in the same league, the R looks super nice inside, 2018 will have the all digital dashboard which is just bad ass. The RS interior is so crappy, I could not believe it they wanted 40k for that thing.

BikeNY
12-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Thank you for this explanation, I missed it that there was actually a fix. Early on I thought I read that there wasn't physical space to do the urea injection fix, so is there a different fix, and is the same fix applicable across all the affected vehicles?

There are I think 3 generations of (2.0) TDI engines involved in the scandal, and each has a different fix. The last generation, all the 2015 cars and I think the 2014 Passat already had urea injection. This generation was the first to receive an approved fix, which is actually only half done right now. There was a software update, and sometime next year there will be some new parts installed and an extra sensor I believe. I stopped following the updates for the older cars, but I think they all have approved fixes now. I don't think they are adding urea injection to any car that doesn't already have it. Also, I think the emission levels after the fix are not all the way down to what they were originally supposed to be, but to some other standard that the EPA settled on.

Probably more info than you wanted, sorry!

BTW, if you want to waste lots of time studying this stuff, go here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

jamesdak
12-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Well, add me to the list with one of these. I got a MK7 GTI S with the DSG and Perfomance Package this summer. Only a little over 5000 miles so far but it's been great. I wanted something small, fun, and solid and this seemed the best choice. I don't think I've ever seen under 30 mpg no matter how hard I've driven it. Plenty of power, composed in the turns, good brakes, great seats, etc, etc. Oh and the important part for me was fitting a bike inside easily. All and all it's a great little ride.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166736861.jpg

Oh, and I traded this in when I got it. And i don't miss this at all!

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/165554853.jpg

And yes...it was a Z06 with 400+ HP due to a few mods.

palincss
12-19-2017, 06:01 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Golf Alltrack.

They bought back my 2014 JSW TDI (for more than I paid for it new) and I got an Alltrack SE in its place. (The Bosche share of the settlement bought me a new front wheel built on a SON Deluxe Widebody, letting me hand down my old SON 28 front wheel to my 63 Jack Taylor Sports.)

The Alltrack is very nice indeed. A bit roomier for bikes than the JSW, and the SE level trim has a very nice sound system, much better than either the JSW or the S level sound systems. 4Motion is nice, and I like the DSG a lot.

Bottom line: the 2017 Golf Alltrack SE is nicer to drive than my 2003 E39 BMW wagon. If the Golf R Variant had been available, I'd have gotten one, but it wasn't and won't be.

R3awak3n
12-19-2017, 07:13 PM

They bought back my 2014 JSW TDI (for more than I paid for it new) and I got an Alltrack SE in its place. (The Bosche share of the settlement bought me a new front wheel built on a SON Deluxe Widebody, letting me hand down my old SON 28 front wheel to my 63 Jack Taylor Sports.)

The Alltrack is very nice indeed. A bit roomier for bikes than the JSW, and the SE level trim has a very nice sound system, much better than either the JSW or the S level sound systems. 4Motion is nice, and I like the DSG a lot.

Bottom line: the 2017 Golf Alltrack SE is nicer to drive than my 2003 E39 BMW wagon. If the Golf R Variant had been available, I'd have gotten one, but it wasn't and won't be.

The all track is excellent, I really like the way it looks. Only reason I went SW instead of the AT was that I just didn't need the lift, the price was a bit more and I was on a budget. The base level AT is muc better equiped than the SW

p nut
12-19-2017, 09:01 PM

I looked at the Alltrack. Very nice and I would also pick it over the sportwagen. Both were just a bit too small for me and the fam. If they had the Passat Alltrack available, I would’ve picked that up for sure.

shovelhd
12-19-2017, 09:01 PM
APR also does VW tunes, puts the GTI to close to 300hp, other brands have the same stuff though, any turbo car can take a tune and go up x amount of hp. I am going to chip my sportwagen, it will be great. GTIs though, the power is great, with front wheel drive, there is a limit of power before you just spin your front wheels on everything you do

Which is why they built the Golf R. My Stage 1 GTI has 220hp in a 3500 pound package. It burns rubber in the first four gears. There's just not enough traction in the FWD platform to handle much more power than that. Stage 2 and up are great for roll-on power, though, once everything settles down.

shovelhd
12-19-2017, 09:12 PM
There are I think 3 generations of (2.0) TDI engines involved in the scandal, and each has a different fix. The last generation, all the 2015 cars and I think the 2014 Passat already had urea injection. This generation was the first to receive an approved fix, which is actually only half done right now. There was a software update, and sometime next year there will be some new parts installed and an extra sensor I believe. I stopped following the updates for the older cars, but I think they all have approved fixes now. I don't think they are adding urea injection to any car that doesn't already have it. Also, I think the emission levels after the fix are not all the way down to what they were originally supposed to be, but to some other standard that the EPA settled on.

Probably more info than you wanted, sorry!

BTW, if you want to waste lots of time studying this stuff, go here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Gen 1's got a tune and VW paid a hefty fine. The tune does not make them compliant, hence the fine. The majority of owners sold them back. I could not refuse an offer of full price paid, so I sold mine back.

Gen2's got a tune for more urea and a urea concentration sensor.

Gen3's got a tune for the first stage fix. This let them be sold. There is supposed to be a second stage fix but I don't know if that made it out in 2017.