PDA

View Full Version : Getting Slapped by the Dopestick...

tch
09-25-2006, 07:55 PM
…or Everybody Needs Their Dose of Humble Pie.

So I’m cool. I’m a biker and everybody knows it, and I own a really nice bike, and ride 50 or 60 miles at a shot which is a lot more than the beerguts who I work with, and I can even ride 28 mph (slightly downhill with the wind at my back on a good day), and I read an online forum where everybody knows a lot about bikes, and I think I know a lot about bikes and bicycle racing cuz after all I did that a couple of times a long time ago, and so I feel pretty good because I must be a real stud -- so when someone at works asks me to do the bike leg for a short local team triathlon of course I say yes. After all, it’s only 14 miles and I can go impress my co-workers and then take off and have a nice ride afterwards.

So I get there and it’s raining. Pretty damn good, too. And the wind is blowing right in my face. But that’s OK because I’m a hard man. And I take a little warm-up and then it’s time to grab the bracelet and go. After all, it’s only 14 miles. But pretty soon I realize there’s 14 miles and only 14 miles. The front part of the circuit is nice and flat and it’s windy as hell – but at least it’s raining. And the back side has a series of serious rollers that combine “oh-my-god-I’m-going-35mph-down-wet-broken-pavement-and-I-have to-swerve-to-avoid-the-potholes” with steep “my-chest-is-about-to-explode-and-my-bike-has-come-to-a-virtual-standstill-even-in-the-granny-gears” climbs. Fun. And it’s really 14, long miles. Twice around the loop, so in case I hadn’t suffered a myocardial infarction the first time, I got another chance at it.

And then the topper. I’m coming up on the transition area going fast because I want to look like the bike racer I imagine myself to be (and did I mention that it was raining and the road was sheeting water wet?), and I look up to see the race official waving towards my teammate over my left shoulder. It’s a god-damned 135-degree turn! And I’m going 30 mph the wrong way. So I did what any Fred does (please say he didn’t muckle onto the brakes for whatever he was worth. Please!).

I muckled onto the brakes for whatever I was worth. Big ole handfuls. And then there I was sitting on my a$$ going down the road with the bike all around me. YOUCH!!!!! And eventually I stop sliding and throw the bracelet and then it hurts all over not just my a$$ and my elbows but my pride and my dignity because there I am the stud bike rider ignominiously down on the pavement with everyone gawking at him and how many times have I told newbies not to grab the brakes when the road is wet and what did I do but forget all that I prided myself knowing (or thought I knew) and just act like a stupid no-nothing jerk (not The Jerk, but a common, garden-variety jerk).

And I feel like the most useless, pathetic hunk of humanity. What an egotistical, ignorant fool I am.

And to beat the point home, I got dusted by a 60-year old guy wearing a Blazing Saddles jersey with long white hair and a long white handlebar moustache who looked suspiciously like a grown-up version of Freewheeling Franklin from the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Someone is telling me: Don't let yourself get too big for them britches!

My medal:

atmo
09-25-2006, 08:00 PM
send it back -
i said i wanted it medium atmo.

Fat Robert
09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
reminds

night the hogs et momma

atmo
09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
reminds

night the hogs et momma
i thought things changed in the south after the war atmo.

Fat Robert
09-25-2006, 08:33 PM
i war it

i war it again

don't change much

less i spill

or spit

atmo
09-25-2006, 08:35 PM
i war it

i war it again

don't change much

less i spill

or spit
i think what you need is a kobe beef sandwich atmo.

swoop
09-25-2006, 08:35 PM
i see dead people.

p.s., please tell me that isn't your manbag.

H.Frank Beshear
09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Gawd this is why I love this place. Where else can you come in from a hard day and see a fairly hairy, very bruised a$$cheek posted for all to see :D . That looks like it hurts.. a lot. One or two of these :beer: and it will be a bad dream hope you sleep on your side.

atmo
09-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Gawd this is why I love this place. Where else can you come in from a hard day and see a fairly hairy, very bruised a$$cheek posted for all to see :D . That looks like it hurts.. a lot. One or two of these :beer: and it will be a bad dream hope you sleep on your side.
where else?
i have this stuff on my hard drive.
my wife, aka the lovely deb, was hit by a car in the
kinda' sorta same spot, and i had to document the
hematoma situation atmo.

kodak moment iirc

catulle
09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
where else?
i have this stuff on my hard drive.
my wife, aka the lovely deb, was hit by a car in the
kinda' sorta same spot, and i had to document the
hematoma situation atmo.

kodak moment iirc

Now, hold it...!! Step back from the Mac, walk towards the pile where you left your pj's, put them on and go to sleep. If you dare posting that picture on your hard drive, I will NEVER get a red bike, atmo. GO TO SLEEP...!! :no:

gasman
09-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Ouch- that hurts.

could have been many of us on this forum making a smart move like that.

Heal up.

atmo
09-25-2006, 09:37 PM
zmatta fact i never see tch and the lovely deb
in the same place at the same time and that
hematoma looks kinda familiar atmo...

catulle
09-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Sweet dreams, Atmo...

Louis
09-25-2006, 10:03 PM
TCH,

Something similar, but not nearly as bad happened to me earlier this month when I did the cycling leg of the Lake St Louis triathlon. The last 1/4 mile or so was uphill to the finish, so I hammered up (as best I could). I was then supposed to dismount then hustle another 20 yards to give the ankle-chip deal to the runner. Because of the combination of rubber legs / unclip / desire to dismount as quickly as possible / transition to running, I ended up with a very inelegant "slam on the brakes, unclip one foot, fall over, nearly on my butt" move. Wasn't too bad, but embarrassing just the same. Luckily I was way to tired to care.

I'll tell you what though, some of those tri-gals are real babes...

Louis

JohnS
09-25-2006, 10:04 PM
zmatta fact i never see tch and the lovely deb
in the same place at the same time and that
hematoma looks kinda familiar atmo... I hope "the lovely deb" doesn't have a hairy a$$ like that. :p

Sandy
09-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Although your 14 miles didn't go too well, you still have talent. Your description of the ride was really well done. Great read!

Sandy

shinomaster
09-26-2006, 01:17 AM
What you need to learn is how to lock up the brakes and skid sideways for a block at 25mph...while staying upright..to avoid an a-hole making a left turn. Then you will be ready to commute in Boston on Mass. Ave.

Climb01742
09-26-2006, 02:08 AM
well you've proven you're human. what's the saying? pride go-th before a hematoma, i think? heal fast and thanks for being human.

Too Tall
09-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Sponge-worthy ;)

Onno
09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Your account is very funny, and very I've-been-there. I've been struck a few times about how utterly seriously one can take oneself during the heat of a race, and how suddenly one is made aware of vanity and all that stuff in a moment of doofusness (no offense, doof).

Great writing. You ought to be an English prof or something. :p

TimD
09-27-2006, 06:39 AM

ROTFLMAO