PDA

View Full Version : Touring the Finger Lakes Again

dbrk
04-20-2004, 04:31 PM
The winds calmed today in western New York and it looks more and more like spring. I rode a familiar route, one that we traversed last Labor Day weekend at the Tour d' Finger Lakes. Kevan will remember especially well his meeting Sandy on the way...the picture we took...or was it Sandy meeting Kevan? Anyway, we came across a local herd of Scottish Highland cattle, you know, the big, furry, horned bovines with the gentle temperment. So today they were out in fine form as I rode by but then, just over the hill and on the left there is another farm and in the field there must have been 250 buffalo. Yup, American Bison: cows, calves, and some big ol'fellas looking like the veritable Ta-tanka. Makes you wanna dance with wolves or something. I slowed and took an long, hard look. They were so beautiful and such interesting beasts. It really was something to behold. Saw a slew of large raptors, a pheasant, and a flock of turkey vultures (big ones...) along with the usual more common critters and winter's remaining road kill. It was quiet, saw maybe 4 cars the whole ride for two hours plus.

All I could think of was you folks would have really been fine company today and enjoy the cool, even a bit too crisp high cloud day. The sun shone enough and I was reminded of our time together last year.

I hope we "organize" again to ride together in the Finger Lakes. For those who don't know: last year about 30 or so folks came up this way and we took two days of rides, ate curry, pulled bikes out of my basement, and had a wonderful time getting to know each other some. I'd be happy to do again what I did last year: help folks with hotels, directions, lead the rides (if you like), and cook a big, big dinner for everyone. There are new and different bikes this year as well, so folks interested in seeing stuff will have more/other things to see. The riding here is pretty swell.

Think aloud about some dates. It's all just for fun and very, very informal. We might get a fine "celebrity" guest if our timing is suitable. I'm not quite comfortable naming that person but to say that he is known and admired to Serottafolk. Thanks again to Ben and Co. because their gracious efforts and brilliant work have brought us into this fellowship.

dbrk

mavic1010
04-20-2004, 05:03 PM
I was just thinking of the TdFL this past week since I should choose between the open house and the TdFL. School has put a damper on most of my travels and exploits of late, but I have vowed this year to enjoy my life slightly more.

So how does the 3rd weekend in August sound?

JohnS
04-20-2004, 05:16 PM
I can't make the rescheduled Open House and would enjoy doing the TdFL, if I'm wanted. :)

hypnos
04-20-2004, 07:10 PM
I'm very much looking forward to a repeat of last years fun and fellowship. Any weekend is good for me. Let's set a date soon since I have a call schedule to work around. Labor Day seemed to work last year.

Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
04-20-2004, 09:06 PM
. . . last year and regretted it. It sounded like a fine time was had by all.

I am so far available this August without child July 31-Aug 1, Aug 14-15, and the 28th-29th, though other weekends could probably be arranged this far in advance.

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
04-21-2004, 01:23 AM
It was the best weekend of last Summer !!!!

Tom Byrnes
04-21-2004, 02:25 AM
Douglas,

Your ride sounds divine; brought back fond memories. We had some wonderful rides that weekend. To think that you only saw four cars in 2 hours. I encounter four moving vehicles in 2 minutes on my rides in L.A. But, then on the other hand, once I get out to bike path at the beach, it's only pedestrians and rollerbladers that I have to dodge, and, . . . we have had great cycling weather throughout the year.

I'm looking forward to the 2nd TdFL. With this much advance notice, any weekend should be okay with me.

Thanks for hosting the TdFL again.

Tom

Kevan
04-21-2004, 06:22 AM
you can expect me!

Wonderful times have been had with all my Serottilian run-ins. Douglas, I continue to enjoy my TdFL flashbacks.

Umm...just what was it that was in that curry of yours? :D

Spinner
04-21-2004, 07:43 AM
TDFL 1 was a magic weekend. it was amazing how we all seemed to click. i'm already planning how to take better pictures of the peloton. any weekend works for me.

the bicyclist formerly known as spinner

csb
04-21-2004, 09:04 AM

Climb01742
04-21-2004, 09:30 AM
as others have said, with even advance notice, could make most any weekend work. would riding/traffic be better before labor day or after? whenever, count me in. and thanks douglas, for offering another "invasion" of your home and life. :banana:

Ray
04-21-2004, 12:14 PM
as others have said, with even advance notice, could make most any weekend work. would riding/traffic be better before labor day or after? whenever, count me in. and thanks douglas, for offering another "invasion" of your home and life. :banana:

I wasn't there last year, but I've ridden in that area about 8-9 days altogether and, except for the areas right in and around the towns, there aren't enough cars to shake a proverbial stick at. Beautiful country, some great roads, and a remarkable choice of anything from dead flat to incredibly hilly riding.

-Ray

Ken Robb
04-21-2004, 05:45 PM
This Monday will be the first anniversary of my marriage to a teacher so my travel plans had best coincide with summer vacation and we are already booked for early July--How about early August??

shinomaster
04-22-2004, 02:21 AM
And maybe even I could come...Yes me. My old man lives in Elmira and from there I could stuff my toy bicycle on a Greyhound for a trip up to the lake..

Pure Joy

Shinomaster

csb
04-22-2004, 07:14 AM

Sandy
04-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Now that is mighty inviting. I have to try to make that one.

Sandy

Ginger
04-22-2004, 09:17 AM
I dunno Shino, that looks close enough that if one of the Michigan Contingent came around "below the lake" we could pick you up off the street corner on our way past Elmira. Your dad wouldn't have to see the sort of riff raff you hang out with...

August is filling up fast. Any idea on dates?

And yes, I'd ditch everyone elses plans to come ride with the forum crew!

Is there camping available in the area?

BumbleBeeDave
04-22-2004, 10:49 AM
I've heard that John Stamos just separated from his wife . . . maybe he'd like to get together? . . . :rolleyes:

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Ginger,

There is a nice inexpensive campground about 10 minutes from TdFL.
I stayed there. it's $150+ for an Hotel Room if ya can find one.
Ouch !!!

Russ
04-22-2004, 02:15 PM
DBRK,

I warned you... This year I am coming early, maybe 3 days in advance. So you can definitelly count me in! I think if we get together not so close to Labor Day would be better as it is more difficult to find cheap air tickets.... Well, if we plan something so far ahead, I don't think there will be problems.

I am actually planning on flying into Albany. I would like to go check out the new factory, visit and ride with BBDave and then drive to the Lakes area. If anyone is going to need a ride from the Albany area (one way, that is - I will depart from Rochester), let me know!

Shino, can you fly into Rochester? I will be glad to give you (and anyone that needs it) a ride to the Lakes area! Or I would be glad to pick you up half-way from Elmira. Let me know and I will help you out.

BumbleBeeDave
04-22-2004, 02:34 PM
If you are flying into AND out of Albany, maybe we could hook up for a bike ride, then you could ride out there with me and skip the rent-a-car . . .

BBDave

Johny
04-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Hmmm...

Looks like that there will be a Serotta Bicycle Festival this fall in Rochester.

Well, if you guys come here next month or so, we have the famous Lilac Festival just near my place.

PS, I might have a chance to meet many famous forum characters (or bicycle geeks). :D

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2004, 04:27 PM
BBD, Russ

Perhaps we can all ride up together ?

Keep me posted ....

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2004, 04:30 PM
After a day of riding, I was just about getting to know eveyone in
their spandex outfits. Then we changed into our civies ... and i
reconized no one. It was introduction time all over again.

I felt so stupid !!!!

Tom Byrnes
04-22-2004, 07:48 PM
I am hoping that mavic1010 and Blastin Bob will also be able to make it to the TdFL. They have heard many stories from both Douglas and me about the collection of very fine people and very fine bicycles at last year's TdFL and I know that they would love the traffic-free cycling. Also, I would like more West Coast representation than simply Shinomaster and me. Ken Robb, are you planning on making the trek if it is set on a convenient weekend?

Russ - If I cannot make it to the Serotta Open House in June (still trying to work out my schedule and commitments), I will also fly into Albany at least a few days early in order to visit the factory. I have been wanting to visit the factory for the past two years. In that event, it would be great to get in a ride with you, BBD, Ahneida and all others near the factory. I also can help with transportation/car rental, etc to Rochester. Also, we could stop by Hamilton College on the way there to sneak in a ride with Onno if he isn't touring in France at that time.

DBRK - Better prepare Amiee for a much larger invasion this year. Thanks for extending the offer once again to have our horde invade your quiet countryside. It's going to be great.

BumbleBeeDave
04-22-2004, 07:50 PM
I dunno, Ahneida . . . Wasn’t that you that fried the synchros in McKeon’s Bimmer? ;)

Maybe you could ride on the luggage rack! :rolleyes:

BBDave :eek:

M_A_Martin
04-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Well BBDave,
Maybe Mr. Stamos would. You should give him a call.

:fight:

:D

Thanks Ahneida! I suppose the campground even takes reservations! All we need is the date...OH. What goes on on Saturday night of the Tour?
If a batch of us wind up camping at the same park...do we even want to think about camping in the same general vicinity? Perhaps an evening of the three Bs? Bon Fire, Beerpops, and Bug Spray?

:p

If I remember correctly from the last Tdfl, if we plan to bring any food to the house it should be vegan? Correct dbrk? (I have some wide ranging food sensitivities, so I like to plan well in advance of any travel)

mavic1010
04-22-2004, 10:06 PM
if this trip goes through hopefully before labor day weekend, I will most likely fly in early as well and hopefully visit e-Richie to get fitted. Might be a day trip to visit him, but since I most likely won't be going out there again any time soon, might as well...unless DBRK can chime in and say e-Richie is very very very very far away.

Heck this TdFL seems like it's getting longer already. First, it was just a weekend, now possibly a 5 day tour with riding across NY. Next thing u know the TdFL will be a 3-week UCI sanctioned event with top teams from europe visiting....

csb
04-22-2004, 10:15 PM

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Inside the the van, the bikes are all nice and Toasty !!!

Ginger. I'll get ya the name of the camp ground as soon as you need it.

I afraid Dbrk started something here.

But it just isn't about the riding, There was genuine sprit and
fellowship at the first TdFL.

dbrk
04-23-2004, 07:55 AM
It is so nice to hear such enthusiasm and good feelings for this non-event event. By that I mean that all I really do is suggest places to stay, organize the rides (we meet at my house and in the village of Canandaigua), and cook a meal...But I am happy to do all of that. Plus I promise to forego great prolixity unless asked about the bikes. There are some interesting bikes here if you have a sense of history and think such things are cool. You must suffer my tedious explanations about things French. So a few points:

*I think we should move this thread over to Rides, Gatherings. No? That would seem more appropriate.

*I propose the weekend of August 27-29, from Friday to Sunday. We should see the fullness of a fading summer.

*We are vegetarians, not vegans (we do dairy). I cook a huge dinner for everyone on Saturday, just bring yourselves. We usually shower here at the house (you can do as you please of course!) after the ride on Saturday. Friday night ride is about 2 hours or more if we can manage. Saturday is the long one: about 4 hours or as much as you like. Sunday morning ride is whatever and whoever still wants to ride.

*Anyone who wants to ride one of my bikes, any of them, is most welcome. There are plenty here. If you are travelling without a bike, write to me and I'm pretty sure we can hook you up. Yes, csb, you may ride the Sachs, of course! That's what the bikes are for!

*I can arrange to have a professional (I mean _real_ professional) mechanic here for anyone who needs help.

*I'll post info about hotels, motels, campgrounds and directions for driving and flying. The KOA in Canandaigua is downright posh, with little cabins but requires reservations!! The sooner we organize, the cheaper and better it gets. There are dozens of beautiful B&B near here, quite romantic and quaint for those of you looking for a place to come with your SO. This is a summer spot but largely undiscovered. Econo Lodge and Super 8 in Canandaigua are clean, simple, and not ridiculously priced. There's no running water on our property so while we have plenty of room for tents, the stress on the sceptic is hard for large groups. (We have such retreats at our house for yoga and folks stay in town.)

*It is a LONG WAY to Chester, CT from here. NOT a day trip, a solid 8 hour drive. Saratoga Springs is more like 5.5 hours or so. It's close to Albany. The ride from Serotta to here in the Lakes is lovely and easy.

Back soon with details.

dbrk

dirtdigger88
04-23-2004, 02:04 PM
If the invite goes out to those of us in the midwest, count me in. The wife gives me one get out of jail card a year, I will use it for this. I am always game for a ride, even if I have to drive 12 hours to do it.

Jason

BumbleBeeDave
04-23-2004, 02:14 PM
. . . count me in unless something else comes up.

Can I park my helicopter in your yard, Doug? :eek:

BBDave

Russ
04-23-2004, 11:49 PM
*I think we should move this thread over to Rides, Gatherings. No? That would seem more appropriate.

I have taken the liberty to post a thread as per DBRK suggestion on the Ride, Gatherings area of the forum.

DBRK, your suggested dates sound great, once we have a general approval for these dates, I will get my air tickets!

Climb01742
04-24-2004, 05:21 AM
nobody said anything about etiquette! oh darn. now i gotta leave my squirting lapel flower and palm buzzer at home. drat! :crap:

Kevin
04-24-2004, 06:34 AM
Climb,

Are you going to bring the woopi saddle?

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
04-24-2004, 08:24 AM
. . . Guess I gotta leave my ice cube with the fly(dhest) in it home, too! :rolleyes:

BBDave