PDA

View Full Version : curious cycling fact

bironi
09-25-2006, 01:40 PM
This is from an article in the nytimes yesterday about Lance Arstrong running in the NYC marathon oming up soon.

At the marathon, Armstrong needs to run about seven-minute miles to break three hours. It is possible. The former pro cyclist Laurent Jalabert finished in 2:55:39 last year.

I had no idea that JaJa was a marathoner. I wonder if he was King of the Mountains. :beer:

Too Tall
09-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Bironi, these guys are supermen. If they want to run 6 min. miles all day long they can. Climb Everest with no oxygen more the merry. Does this surprise you?

Fixed
09-25-2006, 02:13 PM
i think he will run 2:45 what do you think? remember he gained 15 pounds .

bironi
09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Bironi, these guys are supermen. If they want to run 6 min. miles all day long they can. Climb Everest with no oxygen more the merry. Does this surprise you?

Too Tall,

I only found it difficult to picture JaJa looking as cool running as he did cycling. I really liked his style. The way he would go out early to gobble up all the mountain points, and when the leaders rode by him later in the day, he acted as if he did not even see them pass. He just looked like Mr. Cool.

Byron :beer:

Too Tall
09-25-2006, 04:00 PM
:) Absolutely.

classic1
09-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Rolf Aldag apparently ran a marathon in the 2.40's earlier in the year.

sellsworth
09-25-2006, 11:02 PM
i think he will run 2:45 what do you think? remember he gained 15 pounds .

I wish that I could gain 15 pounds and still run a 2:45 marathon! Lance's VO2 max will go a long ways during the event. 2:45-3:00 sounds right to me.

inGobwetrust
09-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Remember, he was a world-class triathlete.

2:30

sevencyclist
09-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Is Kristin Armstrong running? It would be great if she outruns him.

oracle
09-26-2006, 02:16 AM
just realize that most of these guys bike weigh 150 ish on good form, and that's really heavy for an elite marathoner, and breaking 3 hrs is no big deal either way. just because he has a motor does not mean that he can or ever could have posted a world-class time for 42.2 k. maybe the chicken could do it though...

Climb01742
09-26-2006, 03:52 AM
in that same article, two other salient points were mentioned: how much harder running is on the body, pounding-wise, so much so that even in training, LA's hips and back were already sore. and, i forget the exact distance, but lance's longest training run has been in the half-marathon neighborhood. his cardio system can certainly handle a fast 26.2. whether his muscle-skeleton bits can is a whole other can of ligaments and tendons.

Ken Lehner
09-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Rolf Aldag apparently ran a marathon in the 2.40's earlier in the year.
2:42:57 in April at the Hamburg Marathon. He followed up by qualifying for the Ironman WC at IM Lanzarote about a month later (having the 9th fastest bikes split overall, and a 3:27 marathon following that. At that point, he couldn't swim to save his life: I'd have beaten him onto the bike by half an hour).

As for Lance, nobody knows if he's sandbagging or not (I read the NYTimes article, too). He could run anything from 2:35 to 3:15 (he could go out hard and blow if he doesn't have the requisite miles in him).

He won't run 2:30.

obtuse
09-26-2006, 08:04 AM
too bad there isn't a group of sick twisted kenyan millionaires with an interest in cycling....they could send a bunch of kenyan kids to the slaughter in europe. sure most of'em would come back with mental issues, drug addictions, stunted social development, facial tatoos and other complexes but i bet at least a few of 'em would do allright enough to make the investment pan out.

obtuse

cs124
09-26-2006, 08:25 AM
too bad there isn't a group of sick twisted kenyan millionaires with an interest in cycling....they could send a bunch of kenyan kids to the slaughter in europe. sure most of'em would come back with mental issues, drug addictions, stunted social development, facial tatoos and other complexes but i bet at least a few of 'em would do allright enough to make the investment pan out.

obtuse

don't liggett & sherwen live out that way?

Fat Robert
09-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Is Kristin Armstrong running? It would be great if she outruns him.

the fast kristin wasn't married to LA

the other kristin (who looks like iocaste i mean linda) -- who cares?

neverraced
09-26-2006, 10:58 AM

obtuse

There is a sick twisted Kenyan millionaire sadistic enough to do that, but he's busy right now:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060924/wl_afp/kenyabritaincrime_060924031630

manet
09-26-2006, 11:26 AM
perhaps he'll get the runs