PDA

View Full Version : OT: Don't you just HATE it when this happens?

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Ouch. :eek: :eek: :eek:

BBD

Track and field line judge Lia Mara Lourenco is helped after a javelin hit her in her foot during "Brazil Trophy," a national track and field competition, in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Sunday, Sept. 24, 2006. (AP Photo/Jonne Roriz, Agencia Estado) **BRAZIL OUT**

atmo
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM
alotta goth baristas have done that atmo.
beautiful things make me cry too.

Bill Bove
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Ahh, walk it off...

So what does the rule say? Where it impacts the ground? Or where it ends up?

zeroking17
09-25-2006, 02:02 PM
That's a horribly disturbing image. I really feel sorry for her.

Skrawny
09-25-2006, 02:22 PM
... how did mud get on it ABOVE the shoe? Don't they clean 'em before they throw them?

And where's the blood?

-s

Ginger
09-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Probably won't bleed really well until they pull the sucker out.

atmo
09-25-2006, 02:34 PM
i don't mean to sound blonde, but why didn't she move atmo?
i mean - if she did move, then that sucker musta' been all over
the course iirc.

Bill Bove
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
She was probably officiating another event and looking the other way. I've seen this happen a few other times, once a guy got hit on the head by the 16lbs weight. Think of how lucky she is, a foot or two back and that thing might have gone right through her chest.

atmo
09-25-2006, 02:44 PM
but that thing is in the air for a few long seconds no?
it's not like archery atmo. wouldn't ya' think there'd
be a dozen cats yelling for her to cha?

slowgoing
09-25-2006, 02:47 PM
These kinds of things do happen all of the time. At one of our track meets in junior high, a kid was hit in the head by an 8 pound shot put. And in high school, one of my friends was hit in the face by a discus that the thrower let go of at the wrong angle.

Ginger
09-25-2006, 02:48 PM
There's probably a video out there somewhere...

Interesting how it caught the cuff of her jeans.

zeroking17
09-25-2006, 02:51 PM
<snip> wouldn't ya' think there'd
be a dozen cats yelling for her to cha?

That's probably what happened. But imagine a dozen cats shouting MOVE! Which way do you move? And by then it's too late to try to locate the javelin against the sky.

slowgoing
09-25-2006, 02:51 PM
... how did mud get on it ABOVE the shoe? Don't they clean 'em before they throw them?

Each thrower gets multiple throws. They generally don't clean the tips off completely between throws at the same meet.

coylifut
09-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I was a track meet at the university of oregon over 20 years ago when a similar thing happened. a javelin was thrown so far it went through the side of an official's calf and pinned him to the ground. he was officiating a different event.

atmo, gotta remember, there are so many events going on with all kinds of noise, yelling, fans, officials it's easy to block them all out to focus on "your" event.

It could have been worse

atmo
09-25-2006, 04:31 PM
atmo, gotta remember, there are so many events going on with all kinds of noise, yelling, fans, officials it's easy to block them all out to focus on "your" event.
i feel ya' atmo.
but as an observer, and realizing the potential
danger of an errant javelin, one might assume
that saftey precautions of some sort would over-
ride the busy scheduling that makes for concurrent
events. just thinking out loud.

A.L.Breguet
09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Now that's gonna leave a mark!

Sandy
09-25-2006, 06:12 PM
The real sad news is that the insurance company would not pay for her medical treatment, claiming that treatment wasn't necessary, as the splinter was too small. :rolleyes:

Sorry,

Splinter Sandy