PDA

View Full Version : Facilitator etiquette?

henrypretz
12-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Howdy.
I am potentially looking at a long distance CL purchase that could require a facilitator. The details are unclear right now, but it could involve anything from visual inspection to picking up and dropping at a shop for shipping to picking up and hanging on to until shortly after the holidays when I could pick up (9 hour drive one way). I understand that this is a LOT to ask of someone who thoughtfully volunteers to help out, so what would be the adequate compensation? I have facilitated before and gladly did it for nothing, but it was much simpler than this because it was just parts. This is a bike .... a freaking tandem.
Is it too much to ask a person who is stepping up out of kindness? What would be appropriate compensation?
I appreciate the input that the Paceline is so great at providing.
Thanks
Henry

seanile
12-14-2017, 07:39 PM
personally, best thing you can do is ask if anyone is willing, and then if you get volunteers..ask them what they feel would be appropriate (both in arrangement with dropping at a shop vs holding onto it for you, as well as compensation), and then give them a bit more compensation than they asked for. if they offer to do it for free, still give them something...because it's a freakin tandem haha

srcarter
12-14-2017, 07:53 PM
I have not facilitated, so take this for what it is worth. If I were to offer to facilitate, I would not expect any compensation, and I think that payment should be on a gift basis unless the facilitator says something like: "I am happy to facilitate, but I'd need for you to cover my expenses as that is a three hour drive away".

I would tailor the value of the gift to the amount of time, trouble and expense for the facilitator (and to the value of the transaction). If you are buying a $5K bike and paying $150 to pack and ship it, throwing a $100 to the facilitator would seem reasonable (presumably they are helping you score a deal that can't be found locally), but if it is a $500 frame, I would think $25 or so would be nice (unless it took lots of driving, etc.).

A gift certificate to an online bike shop seems like a reasonable choice as we all need tubes/tires/etc.

radsmd
12-14-2017, 08:09 PM
.... a freaking tandem.

We need details! What ya gettin? I’m big into tandems, so if it around the San Diego area, let me know. May be able to “facilitate. “😜

hokoman
12-14-2017, 09:42 PM
We need details! What ya gettin? I’m big into tandems, so if it around the San Diego area, let me know. May be able to “facilitate. “😜

Central CA - 9 hour drive. I will guess it is in Portland! I had 2 people facilitate for me before. I think I gave them between $100 and $150... but I don't remember for sure.

cderalow
12-14-2017, 09:57 PM
If you’re going to pick it up a 6 pack of beer and maybe dinner.

If they’re shipping, a nice gift card for equivalent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
12-14-2017, 11:03 PM
I have facilitated a few deals over the years and never got nor expected any compensation. They were always buys quite local to me----and I got to ride a few really cool bikes on test rides.

What do you all think of the person looking for help posting "I'd pay "X" if someone would do-----------whatever? That way potential volunteers can say "heck yeah" or "I'll do it for nothing cuz we're fellow forumites". I don't think we need fear any rude comments, do we? :-)

Clean39T
12-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Most of my “facilitations” have involved me buying a frame/bike, riding it for a bit, losing interest or it not fitting, and reselling it at a moderate loss or even-Steven to someone else on here - usually after cleaning it up and tuning it...

Those are non-traditional I guess.

The only true facilitation I’ve done was free of charge and made me plenty happy - I helped rescue a Serotta from a pawnshop, got it cleaned up a bit, and got it to its new owner. I see it as community service and will be happy to do it again.

That said, I wouldn’t want to: 1) have financial risk, 2) have condition-judgement risk, 3) be asked to negotiate on someone’s behalf, or 4) have any “I changed my mind” risk (kind of a repeat of (1)).

Also am not going to donate my time to someone flipping project. Facilitation as a community service is all about helping the fiends get their fix, not the flippers find their flips.

ofcounsel
12-14-2017, 11:38 PM
I usually facilitate for beer:beer:

jtakeda
12-15-2017, 12:00 AM
Central CA - 9 hour drive. I will guess it is in Portland! I had 2 people facilitate for me before. I think I gave them between $100 and $150... but I don't remember for sure.

9 hours from central CA? How freakin fast do you drive?!?!
Especially in winter!!!

For a facilitation like this id chip in $100 and a nice local 6 pack.

When I’ve facilitated I’ve received between 0-100. Happy to do it either way, but always nice for an unexpected tip

vqdriver
12-15-2017, 12:26 AM
Ive facilitated a handful of times, and only for this forum. Other than a hearty thank you, I've not received, or expected, any gift. But yeah, only parts and such, not a bike.

The big caveat with used bikes is that part of a craigslist transaction is seeing it in person and performing a quick inspection of the bike and (hate to say it) trustworthiness of the seller. As a go between there is some exposure there. I think that onus lies squarely with the buyer. Have a real conversation on the phone with the seller and ask for whatever pics you need before asking someone else to get it. The gift is a recognition to repay a nice gesture. But the best thing you can do in that case is remove all burden from the facilitator in regards to the actual transaction.

In your case, sit down over a drink and break bread together before turning around for another 9hr haul

likebikes
12-15-2017, 12:48 AM
i've done it a few times and gotten screwed a few as well.

as a facilitator, i usually buy the item outright and have the interested party pay me directly for the item + shipping charges. i don't charge a fee or mark up shipping or charge for packing or anything like that. i used to pack bikes for a living, so it's easy for me to do a good job. i don't expect anything in return either.

sometimes the cl seller gets annoyed with a 3 way transaction, and dips out. if i was selling something on cl and was emailing with one person who wanted person #2 to check it out and all the related nonsense i'd dip too....

henrypretz
12-15-2017, 04:02 PM

The other direction actually .... Phoenix.

These responses are very helpful. Thanks very much for the input. I haven't figured out just how I want to proceed, but I feel better about finding someone to facilitate if I need to.
Henry