PDA

View Full Version : 10 speed chain on 8 speed drivetrain?

TronnyJenkins
12-14-2017, 02:07 PM
I apologize if this has been asked before, but would a skinnier 10 speed chain be problematic to use on a Shimano 7400 drivetrain? I've got one on hand, but can order another HG71 if it would be the better thing to use. (I have no use for the 10 speed chain so was going to try to use it.)

oldpotatoe
12-14-2017, 02:26 PM
I apologize if this has been asked before, but would a skinnier 10 speed chain be problematic to use on a Shimano 7400 drivetrain? I've got one on hand, but can order another HG71 if it would be the better thing to use. (I have no use for the 10 speed chain so was going to try to use it.)

Each ‘speed’ requires a certain width chain, with indexing or click shifting. With shimano, and no auto ‘overshift-center’(like Campag), you move the chain over and the cog (or chainring) ‘grabs’ the chain and puts it on selected cog. If the chain is too thin, the chain won’t be close enough to get ‘grabbed’. You can try it but a 8s chain will shift way better.

palincss
12-14-2017, 02:44 PM
And at far less cost, too.

BLD 25
12-14-2017, 02:57 PM
I have done it and it works fine.

TronnyJenkins
12-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Each ‘speed’ requires a certain width chain, with indexing or click shifting. With shimano, and no auto ‘overshift-center’(like Campag), you move the chain over and the cog (or chainring) ‘grabs’ the chain and puts it on selected cog. If the chain is too thin, the chain won’t be close enough to get ‘grabbed’. You can try it but a 8s chain will shift way better.

Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation. That makes perfect sense.
And luckily I did realize a place I can utilize this 10sp chain. Will order the correct width for this bike.

Funnily enough, this totally explains a weird issue I was having with a Campy friction shifter-equipped Bianchi. The chain must have been too narrow. It would shift OK, but the chain would sometimes fall off the RD pulley wheels. Long story on that bike, but I didn't really ride it and then noticed the chain was a Dura Ace Narrow around the time I sold it. Never tried a 6sp chain, but now I'm 100% positive that would have solved the issue.

choke
12-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Funnily enough, this totally explains a weird issue I was having with a Campy friction shifter-equipped Bianchi. The chain must have been too narrow. It would shift OK, but the chain would sometimes fall off the RD pulley wheels. Long story on that bike, but I didn't really ride it and then noticed the chain was a Dura Ace Narrow around the time I sold it. Never tried a 6sp chain, but now I'm 100% positive that would have solved the issue.I would guess that wasn't the problem...IMO it's more likely that the derailleur tab was bent a bit. Since it was friction shifting the width of the chain should be a non-factor. I use a 9sp chain on a 7sp drivetrain and it works fine with friction shifting.

FWIW, the inner width of 6-11sp chains are all the same....only the outer width varies. The difference in outer width from a 6sp to 11sp chain is about 1.5-2mm (one source I found said 1.5mm, the other 2mm).