PDA

View Full Version : New ENVE Braking Surface. Break in Period?

Shortsocks
12-14-2017, 12:02 AM
Hey Folks

Just bought a new Set of ENVE 3.4 wheels, w/ the new Braking Surface.
I put some new ENVE black pads on them, and the Braking isn't so good. My question is, is there a break in period for the brake pads to seat in? Or have I set them up incorrectly?

I apply the brakes and there isn't a Firm stop, it just slows down...a little to slowly. I was riding some Far Sports that stopped super quickly. (Chinese open mold wheels)

Using Dura Ace 9000 with new cables, so I don't think that is the problem. But the rear brakes work better than the front.

What experiences do you guys have with these wheels?

sales guy
12-14-2017, 07:35 AM
I have a set and no they don’t change. They suck.

Tickdoc
12-14-2017, 07:37 AM
I have an older set and they suck worse.

Fast wheels moving forward though!

Blown Reek
12-14-2017, 07:48 AM
Soak a clean rag in alcohol, wipe down the entire wheel, and wipe down the brake pads.

Shortsocks
12-14-2017, 09:24 AM
I have a set and no they don’t change. They suck.

I love this answer. Really disconcerting but love it regardless.

adub
12-14-2017, 11:20 AM
The textured surface make a sucky braking surface loud. Now you have loud and sucky braking.

And brake pads, these wheels eat'em for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

bshell
12-14-2017, 11:32 AM
The textured brake track is clearly better (+noisier) at braking than the original, smooth version. They will never brake like aluminum.

Spdntrxi
12-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Mine work fine .. all 4 sets .

SoCalSteve
12-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Mine work fine .. all 4 sets .

My 2 sets work fine, albeit noisy. Call ENVE and see if they will send you new and improved pads. They did for me, braking was the same, just a bit quieter.

Good luck!

Shortsocks
12-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Okay.

So took them into the shop. They adjusted the pads, made them flatter, and adjusted the cable tension. It took 25 miles to make the pads “wear & seat” in. They brake fine now. And they are actually really grabby. It’s going to take some getting used to. But they are pretty good. Very different than my FarSport Carbon wheels. (Which I still think are very good for the price).

I guess the pads just need to be worn in a bit. Another poster wrote that these pads will get worn quIcky. I can definitely see that happening.

As it stands these aren’t as good as Alum, but they seem really good.

Thanks for the help guys.

Shortsocks
12-14-2017, 02:31 PM
My 2 sets work fine, albeit noisy. Call ENVE and see if they will send you new and improved pads. They did for me, braking was the same, just a bit quieter.

Good luck!

Did you use the Black pads that came with it? I’m using the black pads. Are there newer ones?

vqdriver
12-14-2017, 03:35 PM
hrm. interesting. mine brake just fine. in fact, my impression is that the initial bite is actually harder than aluminum, almost too grabby with less modulation. the noise, well, the noise is whiny and annoying.
one thing to note is that the grooves in the pads will fill up with pad material rather quickly. doesn't hurt to periodically clean em out.

jj911c2
12-21-2017, 07:16 PM
I contacted Enve about brake noise and they sent me the old gray pads to try (with 2017 wheels). They have better braking performance but definitely wear faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH
12-21-2017, 10:25 PM
I sent a rather harshly worded email to Enve about their new textured rims. They definitely need a stiff caliper as switching to Campy from eeBrakes made a big difference. Annoyingly though, the Boras, two sets of Mavics and even gen 1 Enve with Reynolds Power Pads were all good with eeBrakes. I made the switch to 9100 today to try to get better braking. On the Crumpton, I had 9100 and Mavic CCU with Campy red pads, that was the jackpot of carbon braking. Well, those and the new itgmax track that are on the Ksyrium Pro Carbon.

Anyway, I tested the other day the Mavics with itgmax and the New Enve from 35mph to a dead stop and both seemed to stop in about the same distance. Brake feel and feedback hands down goes to the Mavic but I think the problem with the Enve is they lack the urgency or immediacy you get with alloy or some of the other top contenders in carbon. Its probable that's just a feeling rather than a real performance item but I'm like 80% sure I'm buying my CCUs back from the guy I sold them to or I'm jumping ship and going disc.

snicko
12-29-2017, 09:59 PM
I've ridden both the old and new surfaces on a set of 3.4 . The new ones are noisier, but they have more initial bite and are easier to modulate than the old smooth surface.

if you can get past the jet engine noise - I think they are better.

As for breakin - As far as I can remember - I just threw them on with the new pads and went for a ride..

Spdntrxi
12-30-2017, 09:24 AM
I contacted Enve about brake noise and they sent me the old gray pads to try (with 2017 wheels). They have better braking performance but definitely wear faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting because they state to use black

sales guy
12-30-2017, 07:07 PM
Interesting because they state to use black

For the textured brake surface they recommend the grey pads. When I spoke to them about it they even asked me if I was using the new greys and I was like yep. They didn't have an answer and changed topics.

RyanH
12-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Mine shipped with black pads when I bought them back in September. There's no mention of a new grey pad on their store...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/5d7fe699f130fce248ef0f83e1e1e4c9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/a16ff7cf5d13924b17537108281be8a0.jpg

sales guy
12-30-2017, 08:54 PM
Mine shipped with black pads when I bought them back in September. There's no mention of a new grey pad on their store...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/5d7fe699f130fce248ef0f83e1e1e4c9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/a16ff7cf5d13924b17537108281be8a0.jpg

I just looked at the Q site and they list the grey AND the black for textured braking surface. Not sure what's up there. And the Enve site lists black for textured and grey for smooth. But when I spoke to them they asked me if I was running grey. Huh.

I rode with the black a few times and the braking was the same. Same noise too. I'll have to call them on Tuesday and ask about this.

bshell
12-31-2017, 01:05 PM
Gray is for original, smooth track. It is softer and won't harm new track/will wear faster (maybe stop better?).

Black pads are new and harder. This results in even worse performance for smooth track(+ sounds like voids warranty?) but longer life on textured track.

RyanH
01-02-2018, 11:24 PM
This is my pair after like 500 miles:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180103/46de2e6454be4d499d1191656d2bdba5.jpg

accordvsick
10-18-2021, 04:36 PM
Resurrecting a old thread.... I am communicating with someone and looking into purchasing a set of good condition Gen 1 3.4's. I'm now learning about the brake surface difference between Gen 1 and what's out now (both ENVE and other companies.

Is the textured surface the way to go now? Or is smooth still plenty fine?

I do not ride in the rain, I do ride when it is foggy out (some condensation).

Wonder if I should look into a new set of BTLOS (or other Chinese carbon) textured rims or go with ENVE bling. If these will brake just as good as my old open pro's then that is good enough for me. I typically ride long descents with less switchbacks.

lavi
10-18-2021, 04:49 PM
Resurrecting a old thread.... I am communicating with someone and looking into purchasing a set of good condition Gen 1 3.4's. I'm now learning about the brake surface difference between Gen 1 and what's out now (both ENVE and other companies.

Is the textured surface the way to go now? Or is smooth still plenty fine?

I do not ride in the rain, I do ride when it is foggy out (some condensation).

Wonder if I should look into a new set of BTLOS (or other Chinese carbon) textured rims or go with ENVE bling. If these will brake just as good as my old open pro's then that is good enough for me. I typically ride long descents with less switchbacks.

Depends. How much do you weigh? If you're say 170, or below....could be fine. 1st gen definitely DID NOT brake as well as open pros/alum brake track. Not even close. If you are getting them for "bling", then maybe look to something more modern. The new texturized braking surfaces are very good.

I had first gen. Hell, I had zero gen (back when they were Edge), and certainly could stop. It just was not powerful braking.

accordvsick
10-18-2021, 04:57 PM
Depends. How much do you weigh? If you're say 170, or below....could be fine. 1st gen definitely DID NOT brake as well as open pros/alum brake track. Not even close. If you are getting them for "bling", then maybe look to something more modern. The new texturized braking surfaces are very good.

I had first gen. Hell, I had zero gen (back when they were Edge), and certainly could stop. It just was not powerful braking.

I'm about 180 6ft tall. The set i'm looking at does come with CK R45 hubs (just under a grand), so thinking if they suck bad I could upgrade yet again at some point.

jimoots
10-18-2021, 05:28 PM
I personally find the textured brake track to at least be on par with alloy and have more initial bite.

When I switch from the textured track to an alloy rim I find the alloys to give a sensation of less braking power.

I'm kinda shocked that they're being referred to as crappy.

FWIW I'm 63kg so that may play into it. I use either DA9100 or Campy Record brakes and find the performance not noticeably different between the two calipers.

Also agree with others. First gen braking is not as good as textured. It is perfectly acceptable in the dry, less good in the wet (but still OK) but say if I'm riding up and down a hill in the wet, I would prefer to do that on alloys.

vqdriver
10-18-2021, 05:36 PM
the textured track is/was great. for me tho, it was annoyingly noisy so i just moved on. braking was great tho.

jimoots
10-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Also am I the only person that kind of likes the brake noise? Hahha. Love the high pitch squeel, kind of like a turbo spooling up

accordvsick
10-18-2021, 05:54 PM
Also am I the only person that kind of likes the brake noise? Hahha. Love the high pitch squeel, kind of like a turbo spooling up

I like that noise lol. Similar to the CK buZZ that some folks think is annoying.

lavi
10-18-2021, 06:04 PM
I don't mind the sound of the textured brake tracks. And, they work too.

I think the OP is asking about Gen 1....which, from what I recall, were smooth brake tracks.

jimoots
10-18-2021, 06:09 PM
I don't mind the sound of the textured brake tracks. And, they work too.

I think the OP is asking about Gen 1....which, from what I recall, were smooth brake tracks.

OP stated 'new brake surface' and most of the discussion has been around textured.

But I'm glad some people like the sound!

lavi
10-18-2021, 10:35 PM
OP stated 'new brake surface' and most of the discussion has been around textured.

But I'm glad some people like the sound!

Sorry. I shouldn't have put OP. This is a resurrected thread...post #22 started the party again.

I read the restart of this as considering 1st gen Enve...prior to textured brake tracks...wheels I've previously owned...braking that works, but not as well as an alum brake track (from what I recall).

jimoots
10-18-2021, 10:58 PM
Sorry. I shouldn't have put OP. This is a resurrected thread...post #22 started the party again.

I read the restart of this as considering 1st gen Enve...prior to textured brake tracks...wheels I've previously owned...braking that works, but not as well as an alum brake track (from what I recall).

Ah I see, yeah, agree. Gen 1 isn't on par with a good alloy rim.

It's not terrible by any means, but it doesn't have the bite of the textured track or an alloy rim.