PDA

View Full Version : Passoni Thread in the Gallery Deleted

m4rk540
12-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Does Paceline have a de facto policy on removing combative threads in the galleries. Obviously, there's a policy on personal attacks and, yes, my parents taught me the golden rule of opinions. If you don't have anything nice to say....

In any case, just wondering as I will be posting some of my bikes and they're kind of funny looking. Would be nice to have the option to have the thread deleted to keep someone from finding the photos and posting them to the Freaks thread on Weight Weenies. I kid. :p Well, maybe not.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=77170

AngryScientist
12-13-2017, 12:59 PM
that thread was deleted at the OPs request.

pdmtong
12-13-2017, 07:50 PM
In any case, just wondering as I will be posting some of my bikes and they're kind of funny looking.

What people like may or may not be what you like. There is not a universally beloved bike or build style. Share yours and don't worry about it.

I pay particular attention to forum posts whose opinions differ from my own. Reading those comments either reinforces or challenges my beliefs.

madsciencenow
12-13-2017, 07:54 PM
I pay particular attention to forum posts whose opinions differ from my own. Reading those comments either reinforces or challenges my beliefs.

Bingo! It’s how I learn new stuff and refine my opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarlC
12-14-2017, 08:53 AM
that thread was deleted at the OPs request.

What people like may or may not be what you like. There is not a universally beloved bike or build style. Share yours and don't worry about it.

I hope I was not part of the reason the thread was deleted, that's an amazing bike. I did post some thoughts on what I would do different, as others had said I have learned a lot from other people opinions.

Calling Jeff N, please bring back your Passoni !!!

Jeff N.
12-14-2017, 10:19 AM
It's still posted in the Ti bike section. All the negative comments about nearly every portion of the bike (with one pretty much implying that Passoni doesn't know what they're doing) started to wear on me, especially considering all the hassle I went through to make it happen. I consider the bike to be beyond reproach, but obviously my sense of style is quite different than many. I thought it best if the thread were removed. It ran it's course. Thank you Mr. Mod! Merry Christmas, y'all.

wooly
12-14-2017, 11:27 PM
Jeff, I thought it was a beauty. I read the thread and wish I would have said something to encourage some to temper their tone. Anyway I’m sure you’re enjoying it [emoji106]

Jeff N.
12-15-2017, 08:56 AM
I'll say one more thing...anyone considering getting any Passoni model, use SIGNATURE CYCLES on the east coast. They have the most experience dealing with the folks at Passoni as well as the importer. Not going with SIGNATURE was my first mistake.

beeatnik
12-15-2017, 09:04 AM
So, I should not consider Bike Effect or Wrench Science?

54ny77
12-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Bingo.

The Passoni's on display there (all customer bikes) are positively stunning.

Going in there and seeing the toys on display....it's eye candy like no other. Best of the best. As well as the occasional plebian machine in for repairs, like mine! :)

The crew there is top notch and friendly too. Ask for Justin.

I'll say one more thing...anyone considering getting any Passoni model, use SIGNATURE CYCLES on the east coast. They have the most experience dealing with the folks at Passoni as well a the importer. Not going with SIGNATURE was my first mistake.

Jeff N.
12-15-2017, 09:23 AM
So, I should not consider Bike Effect or Wrench Science?Signature only.

cadence90
12-15-2017, 10:14 AM
I'll say one more thing...anyone considering getting any Passoni model, use SIGNATURE CYCLES on the east coast. They have the most experience dealing with the folks at Passoni as well as the importer. Not going with SIGNATURE was my first mistake.

So, I should not consider Bike Effect or Wrench Science?

Signature only.

beeatnik, I think JetBlue might still have pretty inexpensive red-eye flights from Long Beach (or maybe even LAX) to the EC area.

beeatnik
12-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Jeff, would a painted fork push the price over 10 large?

https://bikeeffect.com/collections/build-history/products/passoni-top-force-w

earlfoss
12-15-2017, 10:45 AM
How do SoCal people feel about the bike fitting services available at Bike Effect? One friend had a fit done there, and he had a positive experience. This may be, but before I pull the trigger I'd like to know more.

Also, the Passoni you posted looked great! Not my bag, but I am wise enough to recognize a sharp, beautiful bike when I see it.

OtayBW
12-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Signature only.
Interesting site. Their 2018 trip to Girona looks pretty interesting as well.

But this was really the most surprising and interesting to me....http://signaturecycles.com/project/vivax-assist/

zap
12-15-2017, 10:55 AM
edit

II consider the bike to be beyond reproach, but obviously my sense of style is quite different than many. I thought it best if the thread were removed.

Sorry if I was a contributor.

I appreciate the work and custom touches (crank & stem) you put into your Passoni. I don't often comment about other peoples kit but your's was special (very good) and thought I'd mention that one bit.

Enjoy many happy miles.

NoMoreParagon
12-15-2017, 11:06 AM
This was my last Passoni.
gorgeous bike. Very stiff. Finishes were outstanding.
Then needed a more versatile bike for gravel etc so I sold it.

+1 on Signature. Fitting done right when you drop all that money is of paramount importance. Signature fixed my bike couple of time and their service and knowledge is incredible.

I went also to Bike Effect in Santa Monica when i was there and the shop is very nice. Multiple people told me the owner of Bike Effect is quite the authority when it comes to bike fitting.
So i guess really depends logistically whether you reside east or west coast.
No matter what you will be very pleased with the Passoni. It is costly but its allure and performance will last long time.

GOOD LUCK!

Jeff N.
12-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Jeff, would a painted fork push the price over 10 large?

https://bikeeffect.com/collections/build-history/products/passoni-top-force-wGlad you brought that up. Passoni's come with a Columbus carbon fork with, if you ask, their logo at the top. If I had it to do over I would've ordered a Top Force without their fork and,instead,buy an Enve 2.0 fork. The steerer on the Columbus was only 300mm long which was too short for my liking...I would've had to slam the stem all the way down with minimal spacers...I prefer a more upright riding position. The Enve steerer is 350mm long and a much better fork, IMO, and allowed me to cut to my desired length (I had JB paint it black and bury logo decals under clear coat). When ordering, I already knew ALL my numbers (HT and ST length/angles, TT effective length and slope, CS length, etc.) so there was no measuring involved and simplified things considerably. Also, you're going to save on sales tax if you are out west and buy from the east. Something to consider.

Jeff N.
12-15-2017, 12:08 PM
This was my last Passoni.
gorgeous bike. Very stiff. Finishes were outstanding.
Then needed a more versatile bike for gravel etc so I sold it.

+1 on Signature. Fitting done right when you drop all that money is of paramount importance. Signature fixed my bike couple of time and their service and knowledge is incredible.

I went also to Bike Effect in Santa Monica when i was there and the shop is very nice. Multiple people told me the owner of Bike Effect is quite the authority when it comes to bike fitting.
So i guess really depends logistically whether you reside east or west coast.
No matter what you will be very pleased with the Passoni. It is costly but its allure and performance will last long time.

GOOD LUCK!
Perfection.

m4rk540
12-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Interesting thread as it seems to illustrate the culture of Paceline. I signed up almost 5 years ago and immediately sensed that there was a type of civility here that isn't common in other corners of the internet. But, I've always wondered if it was the type of politeness that my friend from Iowa calls "stab you in the back phony niceness." I'm not a cultural anthropologist so I wont comment. However, could it be that Paceline is somewhat behind the times as there are more voices in the culture now. One of my clients is an Indonesian-born Chinese professor. I love to hear his stories about his "bluntness" getting him into hot water with his colleagues. And we're talking about people in the social sciences who are aware of context. I guess the question becomes when does sensitivity supersede intent or context. And can you ever really be sure online? In any case, the guys I know with very expensive toys - watches, cars, boats - these guys like to show off their nice things but they also like to critique the nice things of others. They claim, as others here have said, it's part of the educational process in the journey from dilettante to connoisseur.

54ny77
12-15-2017, 01:16 PM
sometimes you need to turn the computer off, meet fellow paceliners in real time for coffee or a ride. you know, be social. in person!

the internet is both a blessing and a curse.

this is one of the best viewpoints i've come across on the curses of "social media," coming from a guy who helped invent the concept. some parts are nsfw, there's a few f-bombs in there (which i found to be unnecessary since his message is so powerful as is, but hey, he can say what he wants).

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761016/former-facebook-exec-ripping-apart-society

"Palihapitiya’s criticisms were aimed not only at Facebook, but the wider online ecosystem. “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works,” he said, referring to online interactions driven by “hearts, likes, thumbs-up.” “No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. "

Interesting thread as it seems to illustrate the culture of Paceline. I signed up almost 5 years ago and immediately sensed that there was a type of civility here that isn't common in other corners of the internet. But, I've always wondered if it was the type of politeness that my friend from Iowa calls "stab you in the back phony niceness." I'm not a cultural anthropologist so I wont comment. However, could it be that Paceline is somewhat behind the times as there are more voices in the culture now. One of my clients is an Indonesian-born Chinese professor. I love to hear his stories about his "bluntness" getting him into hot water with his colleagues. And we're talking about people in the social sciences who are aware of context. I guess the question becomes when does sensitivity supersede intent or content. And can you ever really be sure online? In any case, the guys I know with very expensive toys - watches, cars, boats - these guys like to show off their nice things but they also like to critique the nice things of others. They claim, as others here have said, it's part of the educational process in the journey from dilettante to a connoisseur.