PDA

View Full Version : Nahbs

wc1934
12-13-2017, 11:34 AM
NAHBS tickets now on sale:

https://on.spingo.com/e/nahbs_2018

vqdriver
12-13-2017, 12:17 PM
when do they announce future locations? is it year to year or set ahead of time? i'm hoping there's a west coast date in the future.

cp43
12-13-2017, 12:50 PM
when do they announce future locations? is it year to year or set ahead of time? i'm hoping there's a west coast date in the future.

In the past, they have announced the next location at the close of the show. I assume, but can't be sure, that they'll do the same this year.

adampaiva
12-13-2017, 12:56 PM
that's more expensive than i thought it would be

sales guy
12-13-2017, 02:32 PM

It is announced right after the Best in Show award is awarded. So Sunday afternoon about 3pm-ish.

I would not be surprised if it's west coast next year or even PNW.

SoCalSteve
12-13-2017, 02:38 PM
that's more expensive than i thought it would be

Actually, seems cheap to me. Do you know how much a day pass is to any amusement park? About the same as a 3 day pass including all the seminars. That’s a ton of time chatting with all your favorite frame builders and getting an education at the same time.

Seems like a bargain!

Peter P.
12-13-2017, 05:39 PM
If Popeye took Olive Oyl to a movie today, he'd pay more than that-including sodas and popcorn.

Just sayin'.

pdmtong
12-13-2017, 06:48 PM
I have been to three NAHBS

I would not fly to attend one UNLESS I was actively looking to order a bike and I wanted to speak to potential builders.

I have and would drive 3-4 hours to attend. Day trip.

If you are not a buyer, one day is enough. But you need a plan or else the mindless wandering sets in about lap three.

If you like bikes you owe it to yourself to go, no matter who is exhibiting.
Thats' right...don't decide based on who is exhibiting.

Yea, maybe Philly is "better" in the eyes of some folks. No one says you must chose just one.

It's a lot of fun. $20/ticket? Bargain. If you think it should be $10 you need a calendar to remind it is 2018 not 1985.

Buy your ticket online in advance - save yourself a huge stand in line at 10am headache.

pjbaz
12-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Parking is plentiful at that location but will also cost you at least another $10, maybe a little more. Still, I'll be there, but might park at my office and walk (if the weather is nice) or bum a ride over to save the extra loot :banana:

Also, basically across the street are two great eateries (owned by the same guy) - Bear's Barbecue and Blind Pig (pizza). There are other places but Bears is legit and worth the stop.

huck*this
12-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Do we have a list of exhibitors yet? Also from NAHBS veterans, which day is the best to attend if you are only able to attend a single day?

And yes I can 2nd that Bears is a good spot.

AngryScientist
12-13-2017, 07:14 PM
There is a lot of good information in the other Nahbs thread here:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211776

and i'm going to merge these soon so it all stays in one place.

would be good to meet some of you guys there this year. dinner, drinks, etc.

bikinchris
12-13-2017, 07:25 PM
If NAHBS comes near me or to a place with really cheap airfare, I will happily go and spend one or two days there. The artistry of the bikes deserves it. If I was buying a bike, I would happily spend three days there.

pdmtong
12-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Do we have a list of exhibitors yet? Also from NAHBS veterans, which day is the best to attend if you are only able to attend a single day? And yes I can 2nd that Bears is a good spot.

one day? choose Friday.
- everyone is fresh
- crowds less since many locals not taking day off from work
- plenty of stock for things you may want to buy (paragon ti bottle opener, don walker whisky glass, spur cycle special bits, abbey tools special bits, paul components special bits, and tee-shirts...etc.)

Saturday is the peak day. lots of lines.

forget tying to take pictures (someone else with more time and a better camera will do that)...just look with your own eyes and enjoy it.

sales guy
12-13-2017, 08:23 PM
one day? choose Friday.
- everyone is fresh
- crowds less since many locals not taking day off from work
- plenty of stock for things you may want to buy (paragon ti bottle opener, don walker whisky glass, spur cycle special bits, abbey tools special bits, paul components special bits, and tee-shirts...etc.)

Saturday is the peak day. lots of lines.

forget tying to take pictures (someone else with more time and a better camera will do that)...just look with your own eyes and enjoy it.

Problem with Friday is thats the day bikes are taken out of booths for judging. Last year, we had 6 out of 9 bikes out of the booth at the same time. I personally think Saturday is the better day. But that's just me.

sales guy
12-13-2017, 08:26 PM
For those asking about exhibitors. Here's a screen shot. But note, it takes days to weeks to sometimes get this map updated. It's a small group working on things and it's a BIG show this year. So there are quite a few I know who are not listed. Sorry it's so small.

summilux
12-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Hmmmm. It's a 7 hr drive for me so doable for a weekend. The seminars worth the extra cost?

coachboyd
12-13-2017, 09:21 PM
I am really looking forward to this year's show. With it being in New England I think it's going to be the best one yet.

If anybody from the form is going there please come up and say hey to me. I will even let you buy me a drink :-)

Peter P.
12-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Also, basically across the street are two great eateries (owned by the same guy) - Bear's Barbecue and Blind Pig (pizza). There are other places but Bears is legit and worth the stop.

I thought Bear's was a horror-show. While the food is good, the wait line and the dearth of sufficient seating is a deal breaker for me. Once with that side show novelty was enough.

I'm sure I won't say the same about NAHBS!

csm
12-13-2017, 09:27 PM
5 hr drive..... has some possibility. Just to look around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bmeryman
12-13-2017, 09:39 PM
I'll be going down with a couple folks from Vermont. Psyched that it's (somewhat) local this year.

SlowPokePete
12-14-2017, 03:26 AM
Definitely going, not sure if Saturday or Sunday, couple hour drive for me.

SPP

witcombusa
12-14-2017, 04:41 AM
Twenty minute drive for me...
I'm on the fence :banana:

huck*this
12-14-2017, 09:27 AM
What I meant by an exhibitors list if its available is, will Dario Pergoretti be in attendance?

FlashUNC
12-14-2017, 09:43 AM
About 2 hours drive would be my limit for the show.

But I've been to two, volunteered at one and don't have much of itch to scratch at it.

572cv
12-14-2017, 09:49 AM
It should be about 3 1/2 hrs for me. I'm delighted that it will be in NE this year. I think a pal from Montpelier will go down with me. How 'bout the UpperValley Paceline? Easypeasy for you guys!

Anyway, I'm leaning towards Saturday, just to see a lot of bikes, but maybe Friday. I hope to make the acquaintance of a few forumites too. I'll be wearing my Paceline cap. :cool:

R3awak3n
12-14-2017, 09:53 AM
do tickets for stuff like this ever sell out? Or will I be able to purchase one the week off?

Its not something I want to commit to this much time in advance. Be cool to go but not really a big deal if I don't

pjbaz
12-14-2017, 09:56 AM
I thought Bear's was a horror-show. While the food is good, the wait line and the dearth of sufficient seating is a deal breaker for me. Once with that side show novelty was enough.

I'm sure I won't say the same about NAHBS!

Have you been since they moved to the big location? Also, what time did you pop in? Go there at noon and you're screwed for a while, go before 11:45 and you're all set. There will always be a line, but I've never waited more than 15 minutes.

C40_guy
12-14-2017, 10:06 AM
I'd think the last option on the list:

Two Day, Friday/Sunday
Admission to NAHBS Friday March 10 and Sunday March 12, 2017

would be a bit less expensive. :)

That having been said...Hartford is a 2 hour drive for me...hmmm. :)

dumbod
12-14-2017, 10:07 AM
I've gone to the site to purchase tickets and see I can register for all three days for $60 or for all three days plus the seminars for $120. That's great but I can't find a list of the seminars anywhere.

Does anyone know where a seminar list/schedule can be found?

Thanks

nobuseri
12-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Looks like it's a 6-7hr drive from the Washington, DC area. Doable, and looks like a lot of fun/info. Will see what I can do about going. I had my eyes set on the RedHook Crit this coming year. Mrs will prob not let me attend both.

Seems close enough to justify the drive and walk around for a day or so.

MattTuck
12-14-2017, 12:30 PM
I'll probably end up going. Probably a 2-3 hr trip for me, depending on the weather. I'd like to go, but probably just for one day.

I'll wait until closer to the date, and see when other folks from the forum are going, and try to go on that day -- maybe we can do a meet up, or grab dinner or something.

bmeryman
12-27-2017, 08:28 PM
Just bumping this to check in with folks and see who's going. I'm fairly certain I'll be going down Friday evening (or Saturday morning), checking out everything on Saturday, then coming back north on Sunday morning.

Anyone interested in a dinner get together?

old fat man
12-27-2017, 08:37 PM
It's on President's Day weekend, which is a 4 day weekend for the kids. I might go Friday since I'm local but family obligations will occupy the rest of the weekend.

SlowPokePete
12-28-2017, 06:10 AM
Saturday likely but maybe Sunday.

One or the other, unfortunately not both.

SPP

marciero
12-28-2017, 06:37 AM
Is looking feasible for me. It's 3-hour drive and can stay with my brother in Avon, minutes away. Could combine with a trip to "the city" for the play I have been promising my girlfriend.

Undecided on the day. It might be that Friday is best for me. Would be up for lunch or something with other paceliners. Do we have Paceline caps to identify us? I was looking for the banner of sponsors and now dont see it for some reason.

Hilltopperny
12-28-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm in for Saturday and possibly Sunday. I need to find a descent place to stay while in the area.

avalonracing
12-28-2017, 10:53 AM
I have been to three NAHBS

I would not fly to attend one UNLESS I was actively looking to order a bike and I wanted to speak to potential builders.

I have and would drive 3-4 hours to attend. Day trip.

If you are not a buyer, one day is enough. But you need a plan or else the mindless wandering sets in about lap three.

If you like bikes you owe it to yourself to go, no matter who is exhibiting.
Thats' right...don't decide based on who is exhibiting.

Yea, maybe Philly is "better" in the eyes of some folks. No one says you must chose just one.

It's a lot of fun. $20/ticket? Bargain. If you think it should be $10 you need a calendar to remind it is 2018 not 1985.

Buy your ticket online in advance - save yourself a huge stand in line at 10am headache.

I've only ever been to one (Richmond) but I would say that the above post sums it up quite well. And I just remembered that I also saw the World Championships in Richmond. Go Richmond!

pjbaz
12-28-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm in for Saturday and possibly Sunday. I need to find a descent place to stay while in the area.

Depends on what you consider decent, or what you have to spend lol

Plenty of the quality hotels right there or within an easy walk. Best bet, IMO would probably be the Hampton Inn just across the river.

Hilltopperny
12-28-2017, 09:13 PM
Depends on what you consider decent, or what you have to spend lol

Plenty of the quality hotels right there or within an easy walk. Best bet, IMO would probably be the Hampton Inn just across the river.Thanks Jameson, I am not that picky. As long as there is a good spot to park and I'm not in the hood I'll be good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

old fat man
12-28-2017, 09:24 PM
Plenty of hotel options in Farmington and New Britain and east of the river. Not worth paying a premium (if it is more expensive?) to stay downtown. Driving and parking is very easy on the weekend in Hartford. Finding an open restaurant for lunch in downtown Hartford, not so much.

soulspinner
12-29-2017, 06:45 AM
Got a room downtown. Going with a local race bud I got into the sport. He and I are hyped as we have never gone. Beer, bikes and buds.

William
12-29-2017, 07:39 AM
I'll be there, just not sure which day/s yet.

William

csm
12-30-2017, 06:15 AM
I'm still a strong maybe. Probably head up Thursday evening and visit Friday and Saturday.
Coming in from Harrisburg, PA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mikej
12-30-2017, 07:31 AM
I’m checking the internet on Monday-all you guys have fun though!

shovelhd
12-30-2017, 07:53 AM
I could go either Saturday or Sunday. A get-together would sway my choice, lunch or dinner. Can a poll be added to an existing thread or would a new one have to be started?

Friday lunch
Friday dinner
Saturday lunch
Saturday dinner
Sunday lunch
Sunday dinner

Black Dog
12-30-2017, 08:11 AM
I am a definite possibility. Paceline gathering will push me to make the 8 hour drive.

572cv
01-08-2018, 11:01 AM
If a Paceline gathering time emerges, that would be good to know. I'd arrange to go and meet a few of you folks if I could!