PDA

View Full Version : Apple music - or other services?

AngryScientist
12-12-2017, 08:38 AM
where do you folks get music from these days?

my mp3 player just died, and i need a new one. thinking of a new iPod touch.

will be used primarily for gym workouts. need to be able to listen to music "offline" and my current mp3 collection is getting a little stale.

seems with apple music, you can download playlists to listen when no wifi is available.

what are you guys into?

ColonelJLloyd
12-12-2017, 08:48 AM
I subscribe to Apple Music. I use it in my car via my phone and via Sonos at home. It's comparable to Spotfiy.

I still pay for Sirius as well, though I really only listen to one station (LSUG channel 21), but also that's how I listen to StL baseball games as I live out of market.

I also use Wolfgang's Vault for some live recordings. They recently started offering a free service.

I use Apple Music everyday and nearly all day in the office as well.

dbnm
12-12-2017, 08:52 AM
I have Sirius XM in both cars.

I have a Spotify family plan that is awesome.

AngryScientist
12-12-2017, 08:58 AM
good feedback.

sirius or spotify though - can you download content for listening without a connection?

ColonelJLloyd
12-12-2017, 09:00 AM
good feedback.

sirius or spotify though - can you download content for listening without a connection?

Obviously not Sirius (live radio). I'm sure you can do that with Spotify's subscription services.

FWIW, I can't tell that there's a lot that separates Spotify and Apple Music. But, I use several Apple devices and services so I did the 30 day trial and stuck with it.

mattnes17
12-12-2017, 09:09 AM
good feedback.

Spotify allows you to download any song for offline play. I use this feature all the time and really like it.

pbarry
12-12-2017, 09:13 AM
With Pandora Premium you can create playlists and download songs and playlists. Just upgraded from their Plus service, so no feedback yet.

Gsinill
12-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Been a Spotify paid subscription user for several years and really like it.
As an Apple bigot, I checked into Apple Music but based on my limited research, I did not see a reason to switch.
Only downside: certain artists are not on Spotify but I am not sure whether there is a comparison between the different services that would allow to pick one over the other based on that.

AngryScientist
12-12-2017, 09:43 AM
alright. i'm going to go with apple music for now. seems logical with an ipod purchase i guess.

ideally, i think the newest watch might be the best gym companion at this point, but i'm too attached to my garmin to swap, plus they are still pretty $$$.

ergott
12-12-2017, 10:31 AM
I haven't looked into this in a while. What lead me to Google's Play Music was the ability to upload my own music and combine it with their content in playlists. Last I checked they were alone in this way.

Has it changed?

That was reason enough for me. I have lots of music that's not online (mostly classical and jazz).

SpokeValley
12-12-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm an Apple music guy. iPhones all around at our house, and I like being able to play music stations and download the songs I like.

jasonification
12-12-2017, 10:41 AM
I use Amazon Music. Comes free with Amazon Prime, and has about 80% of the music out there (not the newest stuff). If you want, you can upgrade to Prime Unlimited to get the new stuff as well. Also, music is downloadable for offline use! :banana:

zlin
12-12-2017, 10:50 AM
+1 for Amazon Prime Music. Should have an app if you use an iPod or old phone. You have it included in your prime membership and you can download offline.

For the office, I use Spotify radio.

For wireless headphones, I've had a couple months in these (https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/soundsport-wireless.html?mc=25_PS_HP_PL_00_GO_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5-EvfaE2AIVDDgbCh1ZCApHEAYYASABEgILXvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) and are great for music and the conference call later/earlier in the day. Prev I was using the wired version, there is a nice change to cutting the cord when you're moving around.

benb
12-12-2017, 11:01 AM
I've subscribed to Spotify & Apple Music over the years, I put at least a year into those. I also had a Pandora subscription for > 5 years. I recently switched from Apple Music to Amazon Music Unlimited (similar service).

My take on it is:

- Apple Music & Amazon have significantly better music libraries than Spotify. Apple & Amazon seem comparable
- Amazon can be had a bit cheaper than Apple.
- There are some ecosystem advantages with an all Apple setup
- There are some serious UI problems with Apple Music + iTunes + the Phone/iPad apps, specifically if you both own music + subscribe to streaming
- Apple & Spotify have weaker "radio station" features than Amazon & Pandora.
- Download behavior is similar with most of these services. If you're not on Apple devices their services are not an option really.

I take guitar lessons.. that is one area that has really shown me the weaknesses in the spotify library. My teacher has spotify, we frequently are trying to play something that Spotify does not have. Never once have I seen that song not be present in Apple Music + Amazon music.

The other thing which is also special interest. I like to play along with music when playing guitar. If you have an iPad/iPhone there are apps which can let you repeat A-B sections and do other things like try to isolate parts of the mix. Those applications only allow you access music in the Apple Music Library, not the Spotify or Amazon libraries. (I think there may be some that work with Spotify though.) This is actually a thing with purchased music more than streaming, you generally can't stream through those apps anyway.

For purchased tracks pretty much anything is better than Apple IMO... dealing with iTunes is terrible especially if you have non-Apple devices and want to keep things organized your own way, backup your library to a non-apple device, etc..

pff
12-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Google play music sub is $10/mo and it comes along with youtube red (no youtube ads, ever, on any of your devices). You can stream basically all the music, plus upload your own library and have it stored/streamable from the cloud.

zmudshark
12-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Usenet.

Spaghetti Legs
12-12-2017, 11:28 AM
I will add regarding Amazon Prime music (which I think is different from Amazon Unlimited) is that the Prime library fluctuates, like the video service. I was ready to crank some Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs" the other day and found it had been removed from the library.

glepore
12-12-2017, 12:13 PM
I wish there was a lossless source for streaming. I like Amazon Music, but only for casual background listening, the bitrate really sucks when you listen critically, even in a mobile environment.

Abelicoln
12-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Spotify family plan is really the best that I can find. Rarely do I run into an artist that isn't on the service (although there are a few notables). I think their curated playlists have improved quite a bit and I have actually found some worthwhile bands on the "Discover Weekly" playlist.

BobbyJones
12-13-2017, 10:36 PM
I've been using Rhapsody~Napster for what seems like forever and it seems to suit my listening style- daily binges of a particular artist / genre / era

I rarely use community features like other peoples playlists matches, nor do I care what my friends are listening to.

They seem to have about 95% of stuff I look for and not a lot of licensing drops.

nate2351
12-14-2017, 12:15 AM
Google play music sub is $10/mo and it comes along with youtube red (no youtube ads, ever, on any of your devices). You can stream basically all the music, plus upload your own library and have it stored/streamable from the cloud.

+1

My wife and I have the family plan and it's great. Unlimited music streaming and YouTube Red. The only thing missing is you still have to pay to rent a movie on YouTube, but I like that there's the option not to pay if you aren't.

beeatnik
12-14-2017, 12:23 AM
I take guitar lessons.. that is one area that has really shown me the weaknesses in the spotify library. My teacher has spotify, we frequently are trying to play something that Spotify does not have. Never once have I seen that song not be present in Apple Music + Amazon music.

Not my experience. In 2 years, the only artists or albums which I couldn't find on Spotify are the following (out of a few thousand searches):

Jay-Z
El-P (probably didn't clear that Talking Heads sample)
Bonnie Prince Billy (most the Drag City stuff actually)
and
the tune below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXT68oYgE3I

After owning thousands of albums and CDs I never thought I'd go strictly digital but Spotify, I love you.

mcfarton
12-14-2017, 05:09 AM
I also love spotify! For me the only artist that is missing is Tool

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

commonguy001
12-14-2017, 05:27 AM
Another amazon prime music user, mostly because it's included with a prime membership. I do like that I can download it so when I'm at work I'm not burning data. Selection is ok and enough for me. I've been tempted to try Apple or Amazon unlimited but haven't done it yet so I can't compare the included with prime service with the pay per month versions.

Alan
12-14-2017, 07:25 AM
I have tried Apple music, Amazon unlimited and Spotify and I like Spotify the best. I have a Sonos system at home with 4 wireless speakers and it is fabulous. Spotify is the best service to use with Sonos as you can use the Spotify app with Sonons. For $10 a month it is a good deal.

For those of you who don't know about Sonos you should ck it out. Your phone/tablet becomes your receiver and you can easily integrate your cds that you have burned to a drive and streaming services. PM me with any questions on Sonos. It is a good investment.

Alan

sitzmark
12-14-2017, 10:26 AM
- Apple Music Family subscription
- Amazon Prime
- Pandora (free)
- Tune-In (free)
- Youtube/Vevo (free music vids)

Racked Mac Minis as media servers HDMI/etherneted into home entertainment/whole house audio. For that Apple Music/iTunes provides seamless integration with media on Mini, NAS, and analog. All subscription sources available via MiniServer and keeps phone/ iPad out of the mix at home, other than using phone as a remote to control system.

Amazon echos make it easy to stream low quality sound from Prime library, Pandora, and Tune-In in a single room or linked for multi-room play. A lazy way to hear background "noise" - just say "Alexa play ..." Can you hear me Big Brother:)

All go on road with phone apps. Similarly SlingPlayer ports everything coming in via cable to wherever I go.

AngryScientist
12-14-2017, 10:29 AM
thanks for the insight folks.

going to go with apple music for a while and see hos i like it. i have a lot of indoor training on tap for this winter, so something to keep me sane will be appreciated.

Tony T
12-14-2017, 11:03 AM
my mp3 player just died, and i need a new one. thinking of a new iPod touch.
will be used primarily for gym workouts. need to be able to listen to music "offline" and my current mp3 collection is getting a little stale.

iPod Touch for workouts? Get an iPod Shuffle (eBay — New for ~$90, was $50 before Apple discontinued it :()
I only listen to my own mp3's offline, and online Pandora and Slacker, but if I wanted to download a service, I'd look into Apple and Amazon Music (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201377780) (haven't done it, so no idea if it can be d/l'd to a shuffle)

ColonelJLloyd
12-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Bonnie Prince Billy (most the Drag City stuff actually)

It seems to be on Apple. I'll ask him why no Spotify next time I see him at Walgreen's in those cute little Umbro shorts.

R3awak3n
12-14-2017, 11:32 AM
XM radio on the car and Spotify on the phone / computer.

As much as I want to drop XM radio, I really like it so I will be keeping it. Spotify to me its the best online service and we pay $15 for a family plan.

yonderb0y
12-14-2017, 12:30 PM
I wish there was a lossless source for streaming. I like Amazon Music, but only for casual background listening, the bitrate really sucks when you listen critically, even in a mobile environment.

Tidal offers FLAC (16-bit 44.1kHz CD-quality) streaming for their entire catalog, and have "Master" (24-bit 96kHz) for some of it - that seems to be expanding as time goes by. They're pricier than the rest, but the only service for high-quality streaming that I know of.

makoti
12-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Usenet.

Until Verizon killed it.

Bostic
12-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Usenet.

Until Verizon killed it.

It's been several years since I used a usenet provider. Back then it was trying to find the right local client, winrar, par files, etc.

I recently checked again to see what the monthly rates were. I noticed a lot of providers now will package in a VPN along with it.

I have a bitter pill with it along with IRC as music I worked my tail off to create and record was shared on binaries newsgroups before the final product even got out there. A promotional copy (which I didn't even want sent out) got shared.

casparwhittey
12-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Also should check whatever smart platforms you run at home (apple tv, roku, samsung/lg/etc smart tv UI) support your music service of choice. Example: Spotify is a good choice (I currently use it with a family plan), but isn't yet offered on Apple TV because it's a compete issue. Not an issue unless you'll primarily be streaming from an apple tv when you want to listen to music. Another example would be Alexa integration (if that's important to you).

sitzmark
12-14-2017, 04:40 PM
iPod Touch for workouts? Get an iPod Shuffle (eBay — New for ~$90, was $50 before Apple discontinued it :()
I only listen to my own mp3's offline, and online Pandora and Slacker, but if I wanted to download a service, I'd look into Apple and Amazon Music (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201377780) (haven't done it, so no idea if it can be d/l'd to a shuffle)

My Shuffle hasn't seen much use for a very long time, but don't think it can be loaded with Apple Music that isn't actually purchased. Apple and Amazon control access to d/l and streamed content via the app. As soon as subscription expires, so does access to content that hasn't been purchased. Having "rented" content stored on the Shuffle would not fit that model.

Touch is probably the most basic (Apple) offline answer for APL and AMZ Music because it is app-based which allows app to control access to subscription and content.

AngryScientist
12-14-2017, 05:57 PM
My Shuffle hasn't seen much use for a very long time, but don't think it can be loaded with Apple Music that isn't actually purchased. Apple and Amazon control access to d/l and streamed content via the app. As soon as subscription expires, so does access to content that hasn't been purchased. Having "rented" content stored on the Shuffle would not fit that model.

Touch is probably the most basic (Apple) offline answer for APL and AMZ Music because it is app-based which allows app to control access to subscription and content.

yes, this is exactly right. i've been using a basic sony walkman mp3 player for a few years and it's been "OK", but i want access to more content, as well as the ability to download podcasts to listen to while working out.

fkelly
12-16-2017, 05:11 PM
I just signed up for Amazon Prime Unlimited. 10's of millions of songs. Works on PC's, My Android phones, my Fire TV (which is hooked to my stereo). Can download (haven't tried) to listen offline (I already have 10k songs on the SD card of my phones so don't need that so much).

A quick look sold me: they have the Beatles, Grateful Dead albums including Cornell Barton Hall, found obscure Jerry Garcia/ Merl Saunders Live at the Keystone albums, an "obscure" folk Jazz guitarist named Paul Geremia (5 albums!) obscure, long dead Sandy Denny albums (many). I've read that they also have high resolution downloads, lots of classical. Bought the 99 cent a month three month trial (already a Prime member) that will morph into $7.99 a month for the rest of my life. I can see that I won't be canceling anytime soon.

Web1111a
12-18-2017, 06:37 PM
I just signed up for Amazon Prime Unlimited. 10's of millions of songs. Works on PC's, My Android phones, my Fire TV (which is hooked to my stereo). Can download (haven't tried) to listen offline (I already have 10k songs on the SD card of my phones so don't need that so much).

A quick look sold me: they have the Beatles, Grateful Dead albums including Cornell Barton Hall, found obscure Jerry Garcia/ Merl Saunders Live at the Keystone albums, an "obscure" folk Jazz guitarist named Paul Geremia (5 albums!) obscure, long dead Sandy Denny albums (many). I've read that they also have high resolution downloads, lots of classical. Bought the 99 cent a month three month trial (already a Prime member) that will morph into $7.99 a month for the rest of my life. I can see that I won't be canceling anytime soon.

Which Sandy Denny Albums did you find?

bmeryman
12-19-2017, 12:54 PM
One more vote for Spotify here. Like others, I've had good luck finding almost everything I want (Lemonade by Beyonce is the most urgent example, although they claim they'll have it soon). I download songs, albums and playlists for offline use all the time.

A couple years ago I was overwhelmed by my iTunes library and just deleted all of it. It was then that I switched to a Spotify subscription. I figured I can listen to everything I want and if I'm really missing something that's unavailable I'll just buy a physical copy (which usually comes with a download code). So far it's been working great and I feel much less anxious about my digital footprint.

beeatnik
12-20-2017, 01:34 AM
It seems to be on Apple. I'll ask him why no Spotify next time I see him at Walgreen's in those cute little Umbro shorts.

Louisville is so weird.

and

I like your style!

marciero
12-20-2017, 05:27 AM
A quick look sold me: they have the Beatles, Grateful Dead albums including Cornell Barton Hall, found obscure Jerry Garcia/ Merl Saunders Live at the Keystone albums, an "obscure" folk Jazz guitarist named Paul Geremia (5 albums!) obscure, long dead Sandy Denny albums (many). ...

I knew Paul Geremia in RI back in the day; more like an acquaintance. We had a nice discussion about flat top acoustic guitar set up and action one day on the Block Island ferry. Also a Sandy Denny fan. She was the original prototype for a wave of British singers. Also,That Garcia/Saunders record was in rotation back in college.

marciero
12-20-2017, 05:48 AM
Tidal offers FLAC (16-bit 44.1kHz CD-quality) streaming for their entire catalog, and have "Master" (24-bit 96kHz) for some of it - that seems to be expanding as time goes by. They're pricier than the rest, but the only service for high-quality streaming that I know of.

Intrigued. I'm sure you need fast internet connection. This is one thing about the post-Napster world. With the emphasis on quantity, convenience, variety, and streamability, compressed formats are the standard.

ergott
12-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Intrigued. I'm sure you need fast internet connection. This is one thing about the post-Napster world. With the emphasis on quantity, convenience, variety, and streamability, compressed formats are the standard.

Not really. As far as I know video if far more demanding than audio alone. These days people don't think twice about streaming in HD. I get 4k streaming video of some content too.

marciero
12-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Not really. As far as I know video if far more demanding than audio alone. These days people don't think twice about streaming in HD. I get 4k streaming video of some content too.

60 minutes of 96k hz. 24-bit audio would be about 8.3 GB. According to recommended storage capacity recommendation for memory cards for HD cameras I estimated 60 minutes of 4k video at about 40GB so is more, but not order-of-magnitude more. I would bet that the audio on those HD movies is some compressed format comparable to mp3 or slightly better. I'm sure someone here will know for sure. Maybe there is just not the demand for high-quality sound. I think Google play stores your music in compressed format even if you upload as WAV. That tells me that there is not significant demand. Even the FLAC offered by Tidal is less than the 96k, 24-bit.

marciero
12-20-2017, 08:14 AM
...Now another question is whether you can actually hear, for example, 96k vs 44k. The argument with 44k being that to hear a frequency you need to sample at twice the rate, and 22k is already above human hearing. But there are resonances created by tones in the inaudible range which appear as frequencies in the audible range...
With video it is entirely different with the need for more and more driven by bigger and bigger screens.

fkelly
12-20-2017, 03:57 PM
Re. Amazon Unlimited: "Which Sandy Denny Albums did you find?"

The Acoustic Sandy Denny, No More Sad Refrains, The North Star GrassMan and the Ravens, Sandy, The Millennium Collection, All our Own Work (with the Strawbs), Sandy Denny: The Notes and the Words, Like and Old Fashioned Waltz, Gold Dust, Live at the Royalty, Rendezvous, The Original Sandy Denny, Listen Listen, Ebbets Field 1974 (With Fairport Convention).

The site is obviously very comprehensive. I've been listening to some old Loudon Wainwright Albums which I previously had, if at all, on vinyl. He did some very (for these days) politically incorrect stuff (Clockwork Chartreuse) that would never get played these days. Actually, not "politically" it's about violence that has unfortunately played out in real life all too much.

Lots of playlists and radio stations (Pandora does a similar thing) in case you want a little variety within a theme.

The download feature seems easy to use and I can listen on my PC, Samsung Android phone or through my FireTV hooked to stereo and speakers.