PDA

View Full Version : Odd offers to buy in classifieds?

oldguy00
12-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Anyone else get some.....odd.....looking offers to your classifieds ads?

I have an ad for tires for sale. I got a reply from a user ID (removed), saying:

Hello,
I would gladly purchase your veloflex Carbon tubulars for your asking price of 155$
Let me know your PayPal account name and I will send the funds.
Thank you
J**** H***

(edited out part of the name he gave...)

Said user ID has been registered since 2013, but has zero posts on the forum....

AngryScientist
12-08-2017, 12:59 PM
is that odd? it sounds rather polite, no?

oldguy00
12-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Fair enough....I guess the wording (I would gladly....) combined with zero posts on the forum, just struck me as strange.

ColonelJLloyd
12-08-2017, 01:02 PM

I swear there was an almost identical thread in the last year or so and after a page or two of people suggesting it was a scam the potential buyer chimed in and it was legit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nooch
12-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Fair enough....I guess the wording (I would gladly....) combined with zero posts on the forum, just struck me as strange.

Eh, some people just like to lurk. And if you're not a member or not signed in, you can't see attached pictures. So I get it.

oldguy00
12-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Again, maybe I'm being over cautious. Zero posts in 4+ years and wording that sounds like junk email I get....

jtakeda
12-08-2017, 01:05 PM
I think they’re just lurkers.

If they don’t post I usually don’t respond

drewellison
12-08-2017, 01:07 PM
I have an ad for tires for sale. I got a reply from a user ID (removed), saying:
J**** H***

J**** H*** ... gotta be Jan Heine. I predict in the next BQ we will see that tubulars, plane better than clinchers.

joosttx
12-08-2017, 01:10 PM

Doesn’t look weird to me. What are you concerned about in the reply.

cribbit
12-08-2017, 01:18 PM
I'd only be weirded out if they offered more than the stated price.

Bike people are weird, getting weird messages is normal.

fignon's barber
12-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Could be worse. I had a guy waist an hour of my time this morning regarding the Assos jacket I have up in the classifieds. He committed to buy eventually, so I packed it up for shipment, only to get an email a couple hours later canceling because he didn't like PayPal's Canadian exchange rate (shipping to niagra falls,ny)!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

bostondrunk
12-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Doesn’t look weird to me. What are you concerned about in the reply.

Probably worried that dnovo and dbrk are trying to corner the market for veloflex carbons... ;)

54ny77
12-08-2017, 01:59 PM
that's really lame. talk about amateur hour.

Could be worse. I had a guy waist an hour of my time this morning regarding the Assos jacket I have up in the classifieds. He committed to buy eventually, so I packed it up for shipment, only to get an email a couple hours later canceling because he didn't like PayPal's Canadian exchange rate (shipping to niagra falls,ny)!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

merlinmurph
12-08-2017, 02:09 PM
FWIW, I've never posted across the hall but visit frequently.

cadence90
12-08-2017, 02:37 PM
J**** H*** ... gotta be Jan Heine. I predict in the next BQ we will see that tubulars, plane better than clinchers.

But the asterisks don't add up.

J**** H*** ... might be Jeine Hans, Jan's anti-planing second cousin.

thunderworks
12-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Hello,
I would gladly purchase your veloflex Carbon tubulars for your asking price of 155$
Thank you
J**** H***

Said user ID has been registered since 2013, but has zero posts on the forum....

Regardless of past similar experience that proved legit, I'd be inclined to send the guy a reply asking for his PayPal account and offer to send a bill.

cadence90
12-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Perhaps some of us are just too conditioned to be prematurely paranoid. I know that I unfortunately tend to be that way, and yet:

*I posted a Classifieds WTB for a black/blue Fizik Arione saddle.

*A few days later I received not one, but two PMs, offering to send me not one but two Ariones, for free.

*What??? I was immediately all looking-behind-me-all-around-me-antennas-up-suspicious-like....

*It turned out (also with the help of a very kind mod) that the PMs were from siblings, with of course different usernames, but only one had ever posted here at all.

*A couple of emails cleared up the confusion: the saddles were free because the "seller" no longer uses Ariones; is moving; and just wanted them gone. The sibling was simply trying to help.

*The saddles were packed very well; shipped faster than most "regular" PL members have ever shipped me anything; and are in perfect condition.

*The "seller" still refuses to accept any payment, not even to cover the shipping.

*The moral is: much to our far-too-insulated shock, sometimes people really are just being nice and polite.

The two siblings, you know who you are, and again I greatly appreciate your very kind gesture.

Cheers. :beer:

brewsmith
12-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Bike people are weird, getting weird messages is normal.

Hahaha, and paceliners seem to be a fair bit saner than my local CL bike people

RobJ
12-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Hello,
Thank you
J**** H***

If you still have said tubulars I will pay you 3x your asking price and just send the difference back to my Nigerian account :cool:

oldguy00
12-08-2017, 04:10 PM
If you still have said tubulars I will pay you 3x your asking price and just send the difference back to my Nigerian account :cool:

See, now this I trust, cause you have over 1k posts here! Plus, I'm guessing you are of Nigerian royalty, so nothing to worry about. :)

michaelalderman
12-08-2017, 05:11 PM
It reads just like many a Craigslist scam text I’ve received. Totally understand getting weird vibes on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jumphigher
12-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Honestly the inquiry to your ad sounds weird to me too, OP. I would immediately think scam if I had received that message along with the other factors you mentioned.

joosttx
12-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Probably worried that dnovo and dbrk are trying to corner the market for veloflex carbons... ;)

Truer words never spoken

cderalow
12-10-2017, 08:37 AM
If you had posted to craigslist I’d say scam as well. But 4 years waiting for a set of tubulars to send you a pm to buy them screams either a crappy scammer or just a plain lurker who never feels the need to add to conversations, but uses the forum to find good deals.

oldguy00
12-10-2017, 08:40 AM
The same day I posted this thread, I replied to him/her saying I had made a mistake, and that the price was actually $250, and asked if that was acceptable.
I haven't heard back yet...

ultraman6970
12-10-2017, 11:04 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/darth/images/b/b6/1064090-el_chapulin_colorado_2950_600x841.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160420155944

Perhaps some of us are just too conditioned to be prematurely paranoid. I know that I unfortunately tend to be that way, and yet:

*What??? I was immediately all looking-behind-me-all-around-me-antennas-up-suspicious-like....

Cheers. :beer:

rustychisel
12-10-2017, 07:21 PM
It reads just like many a Craigslist scam text I’ve received. Totally understand getting weird vibes on this one!

Yep. I think your suspicion is justified because the script reads like a script...

Mikej
12-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Will consider interesting trades....

Kontact
12-11-2017, 01:19 AM
The same day I posted this thread, I replied to him/her saying I had made a mistake, and that the price was actually $250, and asked if that was acceptable.
I haven't heard back yet...

Why did you do that?

There are some aspects to the Paceline "culture" that leave me scratching my head. You would think paying for something would grant most people the privilege of receiving goods for sale.

cadence90
12-11-2017, 01:29 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/darth/images/b/b6/1064090-el_chapulin_colorado_2950_600x841.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160420155944
:D

Why did you do that?

There are some aspects to the Paceline "culture" that leave me scratching my head. You would think paying for something would grant most people the privilege of receiving goods for sale.

I don't get that either. Why would one say the price was actually $95 more, just to gauge a reaction? :confused: I know that I as a potential buyer would be 100% done with that seller right then.

And, who knows, maybe the potential buyer started a thread on a forum somewhere titled "Odd offers to sell in classifieds?" about a seller who raised the price on some tires by $95 just like that, and all the posters there are replying, "Yes, extremely odd behavior indeed...."

bewheels
12-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Sometimes things are made more complicated then they need to be...
Send an invoice through PayPay. Get paid. Sent items.

If the payment does not come in. Don't send the items.

lzuk
12-11-2017, 05:37 AM
:D

I don't get that either. Why would one say the price was actually $95 more, just to gauge a reaction? :confused: I know that I as a potential buyer would be 100% done with that seller right then.

And, who knows, maybe the potential buyer started a thread on a forum somewhere titled "Odd offers to sell in classifieds?" about a seller who raised the price on some tires by $95 just like that, and all the posters there are replying, "Yes, extremely odd behavior indeed...."
Agreed, your right to sell or buy from who you want but why flake out? PM's might have put you both at ease.

oldguy00
12-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Why did you do that?

Simple, because I'm pretty darn sure it is bs.

As for why don't I simply send invoice, etc., - Because paypal almost always sides with a buyer. If I send the tires, and he/she claims they were never received, even if I can provide tracking, I'm guessing I'd be in for a struggle with paypal. That is based on other folks having gone through the same ordeal, being able to show a tracking number being delivered, and paypal sides with buyer.

ntb1001
12-11-2017, 09:01 AM
There is is enough "odd" behaviour to go around on both sides.

I had a a few strange encounters when trying to buy something on this forum.
I have had many good/great ones as well, but the ones that fall apart when I"m just trying to buy the item because the seller flakes out leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
12-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Simple, because I'm pretty darn sure it is bs.

As for why don't I simply send invoice, etc., - Because paypal almost always sides with a buyer. If I send the tires, and he/she claims they were never received, even if I can provide tracking, I'm guessing I'd be in for a struggle with paypal. That is based on other folks having gone through the same ordeal, being able to show a tracking number being delivered, and paypal sides with buyer.

I think if you have a hunch then you should go with it, however, scamming people for tubular tires? that is odd

oldguy00
12-11-2017, 09:12 AM
I think if you have a hunch then you should go with it, however, scamming people for tubular tires? that is odd

Why? Anything of value that can be re-sold.

Anyway, no big deal. It just struck me as odd. Move on.... :)

R3awak3n
12-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Why? Anything of value that can be re-sold.

Anyway, no big deal. It just struck me as odd. Move on.... :)

I dunno, I just find it weird that he would pick such thing. If he was going to scam, why not scam for a $2000 bike frame?

But yah, I am not looking down on you at all, go with your gut. You are not loosing anything.

oldguy00
12-11-2017, 09:20 AM
..... If he was going to scam, why not scam for a $2000 bike frame?.....

Maybe he is doing that too....lol. I can only speak to the communication I received.
I've been buying and selling online for about 17 years now, have 700+ 100% feedback on the bay, bought and sold tons on here and slowtwitch.
His message just really seemed odd, and as someone else mentioned, almost a template from typical scam emails.

C40_guy
12-11-2017, 10:19 AM
If you had posted to craigslist I’d say scam as well. But 4 years waiting for a set of tubulars to send you a pm to buy them screams either a crappy scammer or just a plain lurker who never feels the need to add to conversations, but uses the forum to find good deals.

Or a wheel hoarder. :)

(Here's the pot calling the kettle black!)

C40_guy
12-11-2017, 10:19 AM

Tubasti glue sniffer? :)