PDA

View Full Version : SoCal wild fires

AngryScientist
12-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Wishing for the best for our friends out in southern cali. Looking ugly out there, and lots of challenges for the fire fighters.

i assume air quality for outdoor activities is going to be pretty bad also.

stay safe.

windsurfer
12-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Yes, is snowing ash in Santa Barbara and breathing hurts. Situation in Ventura is surreal with the smoke, ash, and burnt homes. Escaping to slo for a ride this afternoon.

-jd

vqdriver
12-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Was looking like goid weather to take the kiddos up to the trails, but I think I'll pass. It's hard to tell other than the smell when you're not right next to the fires. Sunny, blue skies, low 70s. But every time I come out to my car it's covered in ash and fine dust. No thanks. There's plenty of sunny days here for that

Lanternrouge
12-08-2017, 01:33 PM
The San Diego area Lilac fire is in the heart of some really great riding. Since I'm away from home right now, there's not much I can do about it. It's definitely much too close to home though not nearly as bad as the fires a couple of years ago.

false_Aest
12-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Skirball fire is < 6 miles from work.

I'm sneezing.
At the gym even with the AC on it hurts to breathe.
No cardio.
No bike riding.

Where I am we have it easy. In the valley less so.

I live about 3.5 miles from the base of the Hollywood hills. After seeing what happened in Santa Rosa and knowing just how dry and effed up LA can be, I'd consider keeping a "go bag" just in case.

SoCalSteve
12-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Walking the dog has been my cardio this week. And my nose is pretty wrecked from the extreme dry weather. Our balcony flooring went from light gray to very dark in a couple days. Think I’ll wait a few more days to sweep.

It’s pretty bad here....:eek:

DrSpoke
12-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Was looking like goid weather to take the kiddos up to the trails, but I think I'll pass. It's hard to tell other than the smell when you're not right next to the fires. Sunny, blue skies, low 70s. But every time I come out to my car it's covered in ash and fine dust. No thanks. There's plenty of sunny days here for that

I'm in Escondido so often ride in the Bonsall area. Also, we had plans to ride to Fallbrook from Carlsbad tomorrow. But a change of plans - Torrey Pines to Cabrillo instead. Thankfully, the winds have been relatively calm today though the red warning is in effect until Sunday night.

ravdg316
12-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Miserable driving to work in my car. However, I unfortunately have friends who've had it much worst during these fires.

Thanks for the kind wishes!

KarlC
12-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Im in Mission Hills above Old Town San Diego so no issues here so far.

Its crazy tho as they are saying 0% containment on some of these fires as they keep raging on.

I'm in Escondido so often ride in the Bonsall area. Also, we had plans to ride to Fallbrook from Carlsbad tomorrow. But a change of plans - Torrey Pines to Cabrillo instead. Thankfully, the winds have been relatively calm today though the red warning is in effect until Sunday night.

Thats a nice ride and with some great views, enjoy

Shortsocks
12-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Wow. You folks be safe out there in So Cal. This is Horrible. Like a living nightmare, I would be hysterical. Be safe guys. :)

54ny77
12-08-2017, 05:57 PM
pls. be safe and yes prepare a go bag. keep one with you in your car.

if evacuation is called while you're out, you ain't getting back to your home.

happened to my family back in the 90's fires in so cal.

m4rk540
12-08-2017, 06:14 PM
As dramatic and individually tragic as these fires can be, other than the freeway closures and bad air quality they don't affect 99.9% of the population. Unlike, hurricanes, floods and earthquakes, they're kind of self contained natural disasters. In any case, for any of the thousands of directly affected people, a horrible situation.

PeregrineA1
12-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Since October, I've been evacuated and friend and family in a total of seven California counties have been evacuated due to fire. All in beautiful riding country.

Today the on-shore wind came back very lightly and blew the Ventura smoke back ashore in LA and OC. Burning eyes.

And the winds of the last four days have blown all the ash from the October fires onto us-all outdoor surfaces are black. We even have a black bottom pool now....

Iansir
12-08-2017, 07:35 PM
I was in LA today - hardly saw smoke. Glad things are improving and best wishes to all pals affected.

Luwabra
12-08-2017, 08:20 PM
https://instagram.com/p/BcXhMGnDpEc/

This blew my mind

cadence90
12-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Walking the dog has been my cardio this week. And my nose is pretty wrecked from the extreme dry weather. Our balcony flooring went from light gray to very dark in a couple days. Think I’ll wait a few more days to sweep.

It’s pretty bad here....:eek:

:confused:

6 fires and counting; 141,000 acres burned and counting; 212,000 residents evacuated and counting; 8,700 firefighters working day and night and counting.

Sorry, but maybe a thought for those who already have lost and still could lose homes, pets, belongings, rather than about dirty balconies in the Marina?

mhespenheide
12-08-2017, 09:18 PM

6 fires and counting; 141,000 acres burned and counting; 212,000 residents evacuated and counting; 8,700 firefighters working day and night and counting.

Sorry, but maybe a thought for those who already have lost and still could lose homes, pets, belongings, rather than about dirty balconies in the Marina?

I'm quite sure that the balcony comment was a remark on the amount of ash, and that the comment "It's pretty bad here..." referred to the crazy fires and overall situation. The two sentences are not directly linked.

cadence90
12-08-2017, 09:28 PM
^
I have no idea, as neither one of us wrote those comments.

In any case, there is some very real, terrible suffering and loss going on in the region and that is certainly not at all over yet.

Lanternrouge
12-08-2017, 09:41 PM
As with all disasters, they are horrible to hear about as "news" items, but they take on a whole different meaning when they affect you. You pay a whole different level of attention when you are checking to see whether your neighborhood is going to get hit. As others have noted on the thread, for those of us who have thus far escaped, this is a reminder about setting up a better plan just in case we aren't so lucky the next time. It's also a reminder that most things can be replaced (at least with something similar). It's kind of funny that these fires, the 2007 fires and the (was it 2014 or 2015 fires) all occurred during my travels.

cadence90
12-08-2017, 09:53 PM
^
Very true.

I am "up here" from you (West LA), unaffected so far (and not really concerned regarding my own situation), but I do know people who have been severely affected this week, and who have had significant (even if "just material"...i.e. house, gone) aspects of their lives change radically in the space of a few hours. The 1994 Northridge earthquake was obviously much faster than a few hours, and that did affect me.

SoCalSteve
12-08-2017, 10:43 PM

My comment (s) were in no way meant to minimize what’s going on all around me.

I have 3 different sets of friends who are affected by 3 of the fires and I have reached out to all 3 to offer my place for them to stay. Los Angeles is my home and was the birthplace of my mother as well. I am deeply rooted in this city and when tragedy happens...well...it’s truly not about my balcony.

Anyway, sorry that you took my comment the wrong way.

abguff
12-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Having just escaped the Sonoma fires I wish all of you in So Cal the same luck!!!

SeanScott
12-09-2017, 12:11 AM
I am in Ojai (Thomas fire) and am thankful for all of the brave people that protected the majority of the city. It was looking very bleak Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Very scary to see the flames raging down the mountains and hills at such a rapid pace. The firefighters really had a plan to save structures that worked.
Some really nice gestures that you see around town - People handing out water and dust masks, places offering free food to firefighters and discounts to people in need, neighbors saving houses and working together.

Some not so good - Social media frantic false news, people sending devastating texts that are not true,(No, Johnny cash's house did not burn down!) lack of real information to check up on loved ones and houses. Really scary how people believe anything they see on their phones.

My prayers go out to those who were effected by the fires. I can't imagine loosing a house or a loved one.
Air quality is horrible right now but hopefully it will clear up soon.
Please can we get a low pressure out here and get some rain!?!?!

mhespenheide
12-09-2017, 12:57 AM
^
I have no idea, as neither one of us wrote those comments.

In any case, there is some very real, terrible suffering and loss going on in the region and that is certainly not at all over yet.

You're right, of course. But one interpretation is generous and the other borderline sociopathic. Until I have evidence otherwise, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not trying to step on any toes. Apologies if it comes across that way.

I live north of Santa Barbara. We're good here so far in terms of fire risk, but the air quality is bad. Some of my students who live near Ojai had to evacuate, my wife's coworkers have had to evacuate, and friends and neighbors here are hosting people who have evacuated. I had toyed with the idea of leaving to travel this next week, but will likely stay at least somewhat nearby just in case things get worse. It's absolutely serious. News reports said that particulates (ie, smoke and ash) were at 350+ parts per million for Santa Barbara air quality, when 100 is considered unhealthy. I can only imagine what Ojai and Ventura are like. Best wishes to everyone.

dgauthier
12-09-2017, 05:06 AM

This blew my mind

I live 3.5 miles from where that video was taken, and 2 miles from the mandatory evacuation zone.

I awoke Wednesday to videos of homes burning to the ground a few miles from my house, my wife telling me she'd rather I not go in to work, and packing up suitcases, throwing them in the cars, and waiting to see if we got notice to evacuate. A bit stressy.

I've got nothing to complain about. My home is still standing (knock on wood) and life is good. You've got to appreciate everything good in your life, every day, because it can all change in an instant.

54ny77
12-09-2017, 07:17 AM
wow i know exactly where that is.

surreal.

wishing our so cal forum friends all the luck & best. be safe 1st & foremost.

This blew my mind

oldpotatoe
12-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Washington DC comes through..in spite of POTUS vs GOC 'feud'...Pence announces....:rolleyes:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-northern-california-fires-live-pence-major-disaster-declaration-1507658219-htmlstory.html

cadence90
12-09-2017, 02:46 PM
I am in Ojai (Thomas fire) and am thankful for all of the brave people that protected the majority of the city.
I live north of Santa Barbara. We're good here so far in terms of fire risk, but the air quality is bad. Some of my students who live near Ojai had to evacuate...
Wow, it seems several of you are up near Ojai, etc. What a gorgeous area, but really slammed this time. mhespeneide a little safer so far, being up near Los Olivos, but it is still very dangerous and bad all around still. I really wish you all the best.

Of course human life is the primary concern, but these stories about the horses, etc...really make me cry.

You're right, of course. But one interpretation is generous and the other borderline sociopathic. Until I have evidence otherwise, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Yes, and I certainly never meant to imply I thought it was anything close to the latter, nor intentional. I think the remarks were just worded poorly, unfortunately. I am certainly not looking to step on toes or offend either.

I live 3.5 miles from where that video was taken, and 2 miles from the mandatory evacuation zone.wow i know exactly where that is.
surreal.
wishing our so cal forum friends all the luck & best. be safe 1st & foremost.
Yes those of you living up near the Getty/Skirball...be safe. That area seems far too often to be a tinderbox.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5a299466/turbine/la-me-southern-california-wildfires-live-residents-near-the-skirball-fire-hope-1512673706/500/500x281

http://elcolmadon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/fuego-cali-800x445.jpg

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5053c57f/turbine/lat-me-brush-fire-getty-center-sepulveda-pictures

https://cdn1.nyt.com/images/2017/12/06/us/06fire_xp/merlin_130913115_6f212608-67ec-4a5a-bc11-cd1da68aba02-articleLarge.jpg

cadence90
12-15-2017, 01:35 AM
Dammit, this thing just won't stop.

The Thomas Fire is now the 4th largest wildfire in California history, still only +/-35% contained as of this evening, and today claimed the life of San Diego fire engineer Cory Iverson, 32, married, with a 2-year old daughter and with a second daughter due this spring.

The deaths of fire-fighters are always so hard to read or hear about. They often feel especially tragic, considering all the circumstances.

:(

marciero
12-15-2017, 04:37 AM
Yes, Tragic. They tend to be young, often with young families. Hard to imagine what it would be like working on a fire of this size. I imagine would be like going to another planet. Sure looks that way.

cadence90
12-15-2017, 05:47 AM
Yes, Tragic. They tend to be young, often with young families. Hard to imagine what it would be like working on a fire of this size. I imagine would be like going to another planet. Sure looks that way.

There's a firehouse near me, and so I often see the teams at the grocery store or adjacent laundromat. During events like these, they are so clearly bedraggled and completely exhausted, dirty, haggard. Yet even then they are so friendly, keeping things light.

I have immense respect for them, and at least those I have encountered always seem like truly excellent teams. I'm sure that Iverson's house will do everything they can to console and support his wife and children, and for a long time I would bet.

false_Aest
12-15-2017, 08:56 AM
http://sd13.senate.ca.gov/news/2017-12-14-california-adopts-sweeping-new-fire-safety-rules-utilities

The rules go as far as allowing utilities to cut power to any land owner that doesn't allow utility workers on the land to trim trees/brush around power lines.

I'm glad this happened. Should've been adopted years ago. But it's not enough and the public + govt (unless they're directly affected) tend to have short attention spans and bad longterm memories. Folks are already getting used to the idea of a year-long fire season.

We're effed.

Jeff N.
12-15-2017, 09:04 AM
I'm in the San Carlos area of San Diego. All is good here but there are some really dry areas close by (Cowles Mountain) that I worry about every year at this time. Lots and lots of dry brush that'd go up easily. Fingers crossed. My heart goes out to all those affected.

windsurfer
12-15-2017, 09:29 AM
I went back home to SB for a couple of days this week. We live just outside the evacuation area. Seems like there are more fire trucks than cars on the roads and in parking lots. Air quality was so bad that I left again last night. Hopefully the wind direction will go back onshore soon so they can get things under control.

AngryScientist
12-18-2017, 06:52 AM
thanks for that link false...

so, my Californiac friends, can someone tell me why the central part of the state is so much lower fire risk than the borders, it is because it is more mountainous in the middle part?

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/70/05/33/14702295/3/920x1240.jpg

Steve in SLO
12-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Angry,
That is the San Joaquin Valley i.e. the Great Valley, which is predominantly ag land, so little brushy undergrowth/ big trees, which makes for less fire danger than much of the state which has either manzanita/oak scrub, grasslands or dry mixed/conifer forests. Also, at this time of year, Tule fog tends to sit in the valley and keeps everything a bit more moist and holds winds down.

54ny77
12-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Because Fresno is already hell on earth, fire takes a pass.

Ken Robb
12-18-2017, 11:27 AM

This may be a little harsh. Or maybe not if you are there in August. :)

54ny77
12-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Oh I've been there plenty. And lived to tell about it.

We'll just call that era, "youth."

;)

dave thompson
12-18-2017, 11:49 AM
I went to Fresno once. It was closed.

54ny77
12-18-2017, 11:59 AM
There's nothing quite like going through the fine town of Los Banos in August in full motorcycle gear. Face full of s&#! is an apt descriptor.

Oh and coming across from bay area down 99 in winter tule fog while on a moto is a real treat too. And taking side roads doesn't help either.

Like I said, I lived to tell about it. :D

cadence90
12-18-2017, 12:55 PM

That is very harsh, actually.
Discriminatory, even.

Aginst the month of August, that is.

Because Fresno is exactly as 54ny77 described it 24/7/365-66.

bironi
12-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Wow! Must be some great housing prices in Fresno. Make way for the great migration.

joosttx
12-18-2017, 06:35 PM

That is very harsh, actually.
Discriminatory, even.

Aginst the month of August, that is.

Because Fresno is exactly as 54ny77 described it 24/7/365-66.
Fresno sucks. I did a Post Doc at the USDA Station in Parlier. It had to be the saddest year of my life. I felt it was a cross between Boogie Nights, Grapes of Wrath, and Friday the 13th. I might not made it through it if Kings canyon and Sequoia were not in the backyard.

October was the worse when the cotton farmers west and south of Fresno would spray their chemical defoliants prior to cotton harvest. Good air there.

joosttx
12-18-2017, 06:37 PM
There's nothing quite like going through the fine town of Los Banos in August in full motorcycle gear. Face full of s&#! is an apt descriptor.

Oh and coming across from bay area down 99 in winter tule fog while on a moto is a real treat too. And taking side roads doesn't help either.

Like I said, I lived to tell about it. :D

Man, I had a motorcycle, BMW 650 Dakar, while living in Fresno. You hit the nail on the MF head with your observations.

BTW, there is a bike "race" called the Taint Hammer which starts in Los Banos which I rode one year. Its about 110 miles and probably 110 elevation gain. Nothing like riding on potholed dirt roads covered in cow poop and piss at maximum effort.

Cicli
12-18-2017, 06:40 PM
I went to Fresno once. It was closed.

My girlfriend told me to kiss her where it stinks. I drove her to Fresno. :banana:

beeatnik
12-18-2017, 06:44 PM
My best friend since 9th grade is fighting inoperable cancer. He's lived in Newport Beach, Pasadena, Huntington Beach and USC/West Adams/University Village. He moved to Fresno to be near his only sister and lone family member who left LA for Fresno. He's happy there. I'm happy to visit him. May drive up tomorrow. I'll make sure to post a lot of photos for Paceline forumites who live in favelas.

Ya, I got a sense of humor...

moobikes
12-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Beat, I like your truth telling style.

charliedid
12-18-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure they film every episode of the TV show "Cops" in Fresno and just photoshop other city names in for different episodes to save money on production.

beeatnik
12-18-2017, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty sure they film every episode of the TV show "Cops" in Fresno and just photoshop other city names in for different episodes to save money on production.

Charlie, you must be a Cubs fan.

Beat, I like your truth telling style.

:beer:

joosttx
12-18-2017, 07:39 PM

I lived in a former meth dealers house on a dirt road next to a raisin ranch outside of Easton (West Fresno, west of 99). For the first month living there, I met some very nice people just stopping by to see if Johnny was still living there. I started sleeping with a kitchen knife under my mattress. Sadly, my mattress was an air mattress. After buying a new mattress I bought a .45 too.

charliedid
12-18-2017, 07:42 PM
I lived in a former meth dealers house on a dirt road next to a raisin ranch outside of Easton (West Fresno, west of 99). For the first month living there, I met some very nice people just stopping by to see if Johnny was still living there. I started sleeping with a kitchen knife under my mattress. Sadly, my mattress was an air mattress. After buying a new mattress I bought a .45 too.

Sounds about right.

I had to assist my wife with a sister who had been living there. She wasn't really on the right track. Sad Fu****g place.

Glad you survived to tell it.

charliedid
12-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Charlie, you must be a Cubs fan.

:beer:

Hell yes I am! :-)

54ny77
12-18-2017, 07:44 PM
You're right, not everyone can ride high zoot Colnagos and post on social media about the SoCal lifestyle. :p

My best friend since 9th grade is fighting inoperable cancer. He's lived in Newport Beach, Pasadena, Huntington Beach and USC/West Adams/University Village. He moved to Fresno to be near his only sister and lone family member who left LA for Fresno. He's happy there. I'm happy to visit him. May drive up tomorrow. I'll make sure to post a lot of photos for Paceline forumites who live in favelas.

Ya, I got a sense of humor...

joosttx
12-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Then there was the time I ended up at an illegal casino in someone's track suburban home in Clovis. The chick who took me there, cause "it was a fun Saturday night thing to do", was named Soleil.

Do miss the avocados you could buy on the side of the road for 4 for a $1.

54ny77
12-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Yup. I lived for awhile in Central Coast and Bay Area and been on seemingly every road 10 ways till Sunday and "commuted" to Fresno more times than I care to remember for awhile.

It's so much fun when your face shield is covered with bugs/mosquitos.

"George, George, George of the jungle, watch out for that.....tomato truck!"

Steak and eggs at sunrise at Harris Ranch...mmmmm, good times.

Man, I had a motorcycle, BMW 650 Dakar, while living in Fresno. You hit the nail on the MF head with your observations.

BTW, there is a bike "race" called the Taint Hammer which starts in Los Banos which I rode one year. Its about 110 miles and probably 110 elevation gain. Nothing like riding on potholed dirt roads covered in cow poop and piss at maximum effort.

charliedid
12-18-2017, 07:49 PM
If I recall correctly my wife's sister worked out of a Jack in the Box. Not at Jack in the Box...

beeatnik
12-18-2017, 07:51 PM
H, I saw kids shooting heroin outside my window at The Clift in San Francisco. And last night I read a billionaire and his wife were murdered in Toronto.

Mean Streets!

Nice thing about Fresno (not Easton) is you can buy a 3000 sq ft mid-century modern on 1 acre for about 600K. My pal's place would go for 5 mil on the Westside and 400 mil in Marin.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4733/39146411041_468f3313cc_b.jpg

charliedid
12-18-2017, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=beeatnik;2281182]H, I saw kids shooting Heroin outside The Clift in San Francisco. And last night I read a billionaire and his wife were murdered in Toronto.

Mean Streets!

"Nice thing about Fresno (not Easton) is you can buy a 3000 sq ft mid-century modern on 1 acre for about 600K. My pal's place would go for 5 mil on the Westside and 400 mil in Marin."

That's a lot of mil...

:-)

beeatnik
12-18-2017, 07:55 PM
You're right, not everyone can ride high zoot Colnagos and post on social media about the SoCal lifestyle. :p

Dood, I'm private on Instagram. Did I add you by mistake?

charliedid
12-18-2017, 07:56 PM
I'm eyeing the front gate to our building right now for the Amazon dude. If he gets lazy and just chucks it over the fence, someone may get to it before I do in the 2 minutes it takes for me to get out there.

Happy Holidays

PS this thread is off the rails...

joosttx
12-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Yup. I lived for awhile in Central Coast and Bay Area and been on seemingly every road 10 ways till Sunday and "commuted" to Fresno more times than I care to remember for awhile.

It's so much fun when your face shield is covered with bugs/mosquitos.

"George, George, George of the jungle, watch out for that.....tomato truck!"

Steak and eggs at sunrise at Harris Ranch...mmmmm, good times.

Harris Ranch is an oasis. I did a lot of business over lunch at that spot.

cadence90
12-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Dang, beeatnik, charliedid, joosttx, 54ny77...you cats and your sentimemories about raisins and heroins and bugs and cons and all are making me look for my old beloved copy of "Seeds of Grapes".

joosttx
12-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Dang, beeatnik, charliedid, joosttx, 54ny77...you cats and your sentimemories about raisins and heroins and bugs and cons and all are making me look for my old beloved copy of "Seeds of Grapes".

Best personalized license plate I ever saw was in Fresno:

RASNLL = Rais-in-Hell

54ny77
12-18-2017, 08:07 PM
Heck outta college I almost had a career living in Madera. There's a frightening thought. :eek:

But back to the fire point of this thread, my heartfelt sympathies with those who are going through it. Godspeed on safety and security to you & your families/homes.