PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Brake Pads: Lack of Modulation

bobscott
09-24-2006, 08:56 AM
I am using 7400 generation DA brakes and about 2 years ago replaced the original pads with Kool Stop Salmons. I loved the increase in stopping power...a really big difference. But now, it seems that this has occurred at a cost as these pads seem very grabby (wheels very true) and I miss the ease in speed modulate that the black pad allowed.

I was wondering:

What are other forum members thoughts on this?
Is there some compensation in the black + salmon mixed pads (available for DA)?
Considered trying black in the front and salmond in the back, thoughts on this.
What pads do other forumites like?

Thanks

Ray
09-24-2006, 10:33 AM
I am using 7400 generation DA brakes and about 2 years ago replaced the original pads with Kool Stop Salmons. I loved the increase in stopping power...a really big difference. But now, it seems that this has occurred at a cost as these pads seem very grabby (wheels very true) and I miss the ease in speed modulate that the black pad allowed.

I was wondering:

What are other forum members thoughts on this?
Is there some compensation in the black + salmon mixed pads (available for DA)?
Considered trying black in the front and salmond in the back, thoughts on this.
What pads do other forumites like?

Thanks
I use the old Scott/Malthauser (sp?) salmon pads - precursurs to the Koolstops. I like them a lot, but they are somewhat grabby. I first used them with single pivot brakes and they helped overcome the effort needed to squeeze the brakes. With dual-pivots, they take some getting used to. I adapted to them though, and learned to feather them pretty easily to get decent modulation. Although there are rare instances when I grab a bit too much and half wish I had the black pads, that's more than made up for by the extra stopping power and better wet weather braking. To me. Your balance of preferences may be different.

-Ray

Ahneida Ride
09-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Bobscot

Try this .... This is how I keep my rims clean and my brakes working
as expected.

One can purchase a stone to clean the crud off the rims. Try the Mavic site.

Mavic Soft Stone (http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/p/produit_accessoire_GOMME_ABRASIVE.php?gamme=route)

Alternatively, one can purchase a stone ( med grit) that cleans a horses hoof. 5 fed reserve notes vs. 35 frn.

Clean the rim with this stone and then clean rim and pads thoroughly with
alcohol. At this point, the brakes will be real grippy. Be super careful !!!!!
But they should work nicely after they worn in.

I am using the KS Salmon with Record brakes. Since the rear is single piviot
and this is the brake I use the most, modulation is no problem.

After switching from Campy pads to KS, I found that the KS were sub optimal, until I cleaned the rims with the above procedure. There was just too
much residue on the rims from the Campy pads. KS Salmon pads just don't deposit that much crap on the rims.

I hope this helps.

;)

AgilisMerlin
09-24-2006, 06:43 PM
I use them, and have on all of my present and post road bicycles.

i have some dura ace 7700 calipers and they work perfectly.........

in the past i had used the original dura ace brake shoes, they sucked, and changed to the cool stop. the original durace pads were hard............grabbed aluminum flakes, imbedded them and wore through mavic rims...............they suck big time...........hate shyutmano brake pads..... :no:

good to see another convert to kool stop Salmon pads............they are grippy, but last forever and don't chew the ****out of your rims.

hope you enjoy............i have for a very long time now :)

MerlinA

Peter P.
09-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Kool Stop DOES make a half+half pad that is, half red/half black compound. That may be the nirvana you're looking for.

http://koolstop.com/brakes/index.html

Another alternative costs you nothing at all. Most brakes' mechanical advantage changes versus the lever movement. That is, it's not a linear relationship. You will find that if you run your brakes a little looser, where the lever must travel more before the brakes contact the pads, you'll gain more modulation at the expense of some pure power.

I run my brakes with lots of lever travel and enjoy plenty of modulation with little worry of lock up, even in a panic stop.

Brons2
09-24-2006, 09:59 PM
I run the Kool-Stops on my Rivendell with an all-Tektro braking system. I find that they work fantastic, and aren't really that grabby for me. Then again, I weigh around 260 so grabby is what I want!

Too Tall
09-25-2006, 06:56 AM
They actually do make that. "Koolite ti road brake pad " however in my HO is a waste of $$ big time. Their std. replacement brake pad is the best. I use their green brake pad because it allows me to swap carbon wheelsets and keep the same brake pad...yeah the braking is not as good but I do not live on the top of a mtn. pass. Also, read what Peter P. said...it is dead on. You can "tune" the mechanical advantage of your brakes by using more lever travel.

bobscott
09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the input. Lever travel is a good idea but I had played with it. I also noted some difference and played with the setting of the DA "centering screws". Still not really satisfied.

I don't guess that rubber hardening with age could be a component of this?

I was happy with these at first but had to make a quick stop recently when riding with a friend and now they seem hard to control. Relative to the shoes becoming harder, I can't say if the braking has changed or my perception. As with the Delta brake fans, right now I might say I like my brakes a bit mushy.

Too Tall
09-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Boy that's a softball or what?

(Cough) anywho. Doubt the brake pads have aged / hardened. However they can glaze. Every now and then after you pick bits of metal out of your pads you can give the pads a few licks with a common bar-stard file.

Anyone here love saying that as much as me? (repeat) Common bar-stard.

Must be a slow day at the grist mill (me).

Ahneida Ride
09-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Salmon KS don't seem to harden. Perhaps you recieved an old pair ?

AgilisMerlin
09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
they don't age...........they are too soft.

i have been running a pair for three years..........got a replacement set sitting in my toolbox...........ready for action.........hands down best pad i have ever used.................... :beer:

have fun out their

Amerlin