PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "on/off bike" softshell jacket?

moonhoo
12-07-2017, 12:38 PM
This old topic.... anyone discovered something recently they love?

I've worn out my Outdoor Research Ferrosi and am out of the loop of what's good. I'd get another Ferrosi, but I don't want a hood, and want a little insulation at least in the front.

Cycling-specific features such as reflective striping are a plus, but I don't want another dedicated cycling jacket. I'll be wearing this around town and to the office.

Desired features:

— No hood, but a high-collar
— Pockets for wallet, keys, phone
— Slim fit
— Cost of less than $250

Looking currently at:

Patagonia Adze
7Mesh Recon
various Marmot Polartec M2 offerings

... anything else I should consider?

EDS
12-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Personally, even though I trend toward tighter fitting clothing generally, none of the jackets I wear off-the-bike would work on-on-the-bike and vice versa.

ltwtsculler91
12-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Patagonia Adze is great option for a mid-heavyweight softshell. We gotthem as team post-race/knockaround jackets in college as noone wanted to wander around campus or the racecourse in Boathouse jackets anymore. I've used mine for everything on land and never had a problem. I sized up to a medium in order to use it as more of a shell over a fleece so I've never ridden in it, but I do MTB in my lighter Patagonia All-Free softshell and the fit was good enough

tuxbailey
12-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Gore Phantom.

Edit: I forgot you said you didn't want some bike specific.

zennmotion
12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
I may be overenthusiastic, as I linked to this earlier today in another thread, but you might take advantage of all the closeout Ibex on sale now- this wool jacket might not be a typical synthetic softshell, but maybe what you're looking for-

http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore//Clothing/Scout-Jura-Full-Zip/_/R-244679.htm?voucherCode=979100&id=244679hgl__md&gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4SdrVL4oECKklswGGtg7bg 0zY9ZxdBHxOJzr_Dezg72zeNe7-NrzBwNBoCgIUQAvD_BwE&ad=93106471335

Or this one

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/ibex-wool-aire-matrix-jacket-wool-insulated-for-men~p~238ha/?utm_source=GooglePLAs&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Ibex_Wool_Aire_Matrix_Jacket_-_Wool_Insulated_For_Men&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLES7&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4SdqJEWtSBTXkRG9KRpE3P ICmxjzRHlTdb2z2xjAAB5ErL112D_hi5XRoCpKIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&codes-processed=true

Jaybee
12-07-2017, 02:17 PM
I've been searching for the same garment myself. I have an All-Free that I like quite a bit, with the exception of the back length (though I do have an exceptionally long torso for my height) and the cloud grey color. It looks great off the bike, but it's exactly the same color as the winter sky - poor visibility on the roads. May continue to use it for off-the-bike activities and trail riding and purchase the red for road ($90 at REI right now!), or more likely I will go with one of Gore Bike Wear's many Element options for the road.

zennmotion
12-07-2017, 02:45 PM
I've been searching for the same garment myself. I have an All-Free that I like quite a bit, with the exception of the back length (though I do have an exceptionally long torso for my height) and the cloud grey color. It looks great off the bike, but it's exactly the same color as the winter sky - poor visibility on the roads. May continue to use it for off-the-bike activities and trail riding and purchase the red for road ($90 at REI right now!), or more likely I will go with one of Gore Bike Wear's many Element options for the road.

My favorite bike-specific soft shell is the Gore Fusion Tool for winter riding, but the OP specified not a dedicated bike jacket. The tool has pit zips- key for comfort on the bike and works for a wide range of cold weather- just a baselayer down to 40deg or so, long jersey down to freezing, and baselayer+ jersey+ jacket for anything I would ride in down to 15-20degrees. Works great as a ski or hiking jacket too, sheds mist and light rain pretty well. And it comes in some bright colors, and it's not expensive, seems always on sale somewhere. My favorite winter piece of kit.

DrSpoke
12-07-2017, 03:16 PM
My LBS lost Specialized last year and had all their Spec inventory on clearance. I picked up both a long sleeve jersey and a jacket and was impress w/both. The jacket was the Deflect model.

moonhoo
12-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, which are all great.

I do own a kit pieces (Rapha, Search and State, and a couple others). I'm most comfortable wearing those on longer road rides.

In this case, it's that jacket you wear to the office, and then to dinner with friends, and then on the ride back home. I'm specifically seeking a softshell because that's what works best for me with the clothing and layering system I wear and carry in my bag.

Lovetoclimb
12-07-2017, 03:57 PM
something about a wool jacket with suede shoulder panels and VERY exclusive ...

Likes2ridefar
12-07-2017, 05:39 PM
I like arcteryx for trim fit and looks. It fits me perfect in medium at 6’ and skinny. They have many models so just find what ticks the boxes.

I’ve an icebreaker wool and synthetic blend that is nice. It is trim as well and has some windpoof panels with wool for a loft type insulation, and then stretchy areas that breathe in the expected areas.

Off the grid, I’ve a vapor barrier jacket from rbh that is sort of a soft shell. It is all black and under the radar so can go anywhere. It is an interesting piece that Is custom made, and extremely versatile. I’ve been in minus 40 with just a lightweight synthetic insulation over it and been cozy while winter hiking. When very active it keeps you warm in pretty much any conditions with nothing but a long sleeve base layer beneath it. Ideal for 40s and below, though.

As already mentioned, Patagonia has some options. I prefer their fleece though and commute often in them, or used to anyways when I lived in the NE. Here in az rarely need anything so far.

Birddog
12-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Not 30 mins ago I ordered this jacket/mid layer. They have been out of stock for at least 9 mos and just a week or so ago they announced they had some. It might fit your needs. They are a small Colorado Co, all products made in Pagosa Springs and even the sheep are from the USA. I hope they don't go the way of Ibex.

https://voormi.com/collections/midlayers/products/mens-drift-jacket

Likes2ridefar
12-07-2017, 05:46 PM
I’d forgotten about that company, voormi. I was really interested in them when I first read about their gear but none were available yet...ok, fine, I’ll bite.

moonhoo
12-08-2017, 06:15 AM
Thanks. Looks like a good midlayer. Maybe I’d get it for another use. But from past experience with wool as a jacket material I don’t have a lot of faith that I could pack it, be sloppy and hang it to dry, wear it in the rain, put a backpack over it, etc, without worrying about it quickly pilling or losing its shape. Will be curious to hear how you like it after a month or so.

Not 30 mins ago I ordered this jacket/mid layer. They have been out of stock for at least 9 mos and just a week or so ago they announced they had some. It might fit your needs. They are a small Colorado Co, all products made in Pagosa Springs and even the sheep are from the USA. I hope they don't go the way of Ibex.

AngryScientist
12-08-2017, 06:21 AM
i have an older mountain hardwear jacket that looks like below that i've been abusing for years. wearing it today here in NYC as a matter of fact. with proper layering it's been a great piece of kit. it's "windstopper" so riding in it is good because the wind doesnt cut right through it, which is ultimately what makes you cold. moves pretty good too. been hiking, cycling, sailing, swanky restaurants and dive bars all over the place.

https://image.geartrade.com//userimages/2/0/206324609554c7b37098083.jpg

Pastashop
12-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Rapha Warmup jacket — was gonna write a review of my commuting get-up with it included, but... Anyhow, I wear it often off the bike, as well as on the bike when I’m riding in to work (about 8 miles each way, with a couple of decent hills along the way). I layer it either with a thin T-shirt or a T-shirt + thin wool long-sleeve down to 40*F, or with a thicker wool (Wabi Woolens) down to 30*F. I really like the fit and versatility. The off-center zipper is take it or leave it - I’d be fine with a regular. What I really want now is a vest version of this jacket... (and for my collarbone to heal) Too bad they Rapha don’t seem to carry it anymore?..

chuckred
12-09-2017, 09:09 AM

I've had mine for a couple of years and it's both great looking and very functional. Great for skiing or tooling around town, but haven't ever worn it on the bike.

Birddog
12-09-2017, 02:08 PM
I've had mine for a couple of years and it's both great looking and very functional. Great for skiing or tooling around town, but haven't ever worn it on the bike.

Coincidentally, I intend on using mine as a midlayer skiing and also hacking around town, maybe on the bike some too.

MrDangerPants
12-10-2017, 07:39 AM
I just picked up a Kitsbow Tech Jacket on closeout. Was originally $325, then $195 and a closeout bargain of $97. Made in the USA too. It's seems exactly what you're looking for but unfortunately they sold out. Possibly it's available at a retailer somewhere on the interwebs. I also have a Kitsbow long sleeve all-mountain jersey I got a few years ago and it's a great jacket. Their stuff fits on the slim side which I like (I wear an XS).

http://78.media.tumblr.com/1e658c92a6e2231bb8d0afc7b6a79cda/tumblr_p0qz3r1qOc1tst9oeo2_1280.jpg

http://78.media.tumblr.com/4b5baaee61b148fe6165ef69f80bf6ed/tumblr_p0qz3r1qOc1tst9oeo1_1280.jpg

moonhoo
12-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Nice jacket. I like the Kitsbow designs, only wish they'd expand their color range outside of dark blue, gray, and black.

I tried out a couple of Marmots I might go with. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

Concluding sidebar: I tried out the Patagonia Adze yesterday. Talk about strange sizing. I normally wear a large and I fit into a... small? And the hems and arms are too long, even for me at 6' tall. Can't see how I'd layer that underneath something without looking like I have on an apron. I still like them but I wish they'd get more consistent with their sizing, which seems a little out of wack the past couple of years.

I just picked up a Kitsbow Tech Jacket on closeout. Was originally $325, then $195 and a closeout bargain of $97. Made in the USA too. It's seems exactly what you're looking for but unfortunately they sold out.

AngryScientist
12-10-2017, 08:26 AM
totally agree on the pagagonia sizing. a lot of their stuff fits me good, but a lot does not, very inconsistent. i pretty much wont buy anything i cant try on. they should really straighten that out.

xnetter
12-10-2017, 09:06 PM
You might consider one of the discontinued Arcteryx A2B softshell jackets if you can find a NOS one somewhere.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/arcteryx-a2b-commuter-soft-shell-jacket-for-men~p~9354h/

Swrve also has some casual cycling jackets. https://swrve.us/collections/jackets

KJ

MrDangerPants
12-11-2017, 06:57 AM
Nice jacket. I like the Kitsbow designs, only wish they'd expand their color range outside of dark blue, gray, and black.

My A/M jacket is a lovely green. :) Also check out Mammut as they tend to be on the slim side. I had a couple of fleece jackets a few years back and liked them a lot. For Patagonia, their slim fit isn't as form fitting as advertised. I still take an XS but the chest is a little more roomy than I'd like.

As @xnetter mentioned, try SWRVE. I have several pair of their shorts and the quality is superb.

Dude
12-11-2017, 11:59 AM
I have the same jacket as AngryScientist, only a slightly newer version of it. I've had it 7 years and it's my go to jacket from feb - april and sept - dec. I've ridden in it when it's below freezing (road and mtb). In fact, I love it so much, i bough a bike specific winter jacket (pearl izumi) because I was afraid of slipping on ice and ripping the jacket.

I've worn it over my puffy jacket when it's in the tweens and windy/precipitating and I've worn it under my hardshell. It's roomy for layers but not too roomy to get in your way. It doesn't look baggy either.

Drawcord on the collar is a nice touch too.