PDA

View Full Version : OT: Porsche Driving Experience, anyone done it

PeregrineA1
12-06-2017, 08:58 PM
...at one of their facilities?

I’ve been gifted a program and need to decide which car and program.

Feedback much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPOKE
12-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Haven't done it yet but I'd pick a 911 since I own one now. An alternate would be a Cayman.

jlwdm
12-06-2017, 11:15 PM
I have been looking at the Porsche and BMW schools. This weekend I am doing a two day high performance driving class south of Fort Worth where you drive your own car.

Jeff

Ken Robb
12-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Many pals have had a good time at the BMW Experience near LA.

Steve in SLO
12-07-2017, 01:39 AM
Can't help with location, but if you really want to gain the most skill, would suggest you choose a car that lets you turn off traction control (PASM in Porsche-speak) so you can learn to control an off-balance car at speed.
If you are just going out to have fun, choose the car you think you look coolest in.

Louis
12-07-2017, 01:50 AM
If you are just going out to have fun, choose the car you think you look coolest in.

How's this for looking cool?

BTW, that watch was sold at auction just the other day for over $17 million...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cd/94/8b/cd948bd175c83525930fc598c3bc6991.jpg

paredown
12-07-2017, 06:30 AM

My brother got to meet him at a race in Portland BITD when my brother was working pit crew with another racer. He said Mr Newman was just one of the guys who liked to go fast, hanging out with the other drivers and being generally chill...

Ungaro
12-07-2017, 08:40 AM
The facility in Atlanta is outrageously cool. Great track and top level instructors.

summilux
12-07-2017, 08:55 AM
It depends on what you want out of the experience. If you want to drive the coolest car then for sure the 911. If you want to transfer your track education to street driving then the Cayman or even a Macan might be better choices since they will handle much more similarly to your regular non-rear engined vehicle. Don't laugh about tracking a Macan. I haven't done it myself but I have heard that they do pretty well.

Steve in SLO
12-07-2017, 01:10 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cd/94/8b/cd948bd175c83525930fc598c3bc6991.jpg

And a friend of mine was his watchmaker and fellow racer. He kept that $17M watch running for years.

SoCalSteve
12-07-2017, 02:21 PM
I drove by the one just outside of LA yesterday. Looked pretty cool! Would have been fun driving my 911 there. I can’t believe it’s been a little over a year ago that I sold it. Oh well, times change and people grow up....:eek:

Vientomas
12-07-2017, 03:02 PM
I drove by the one just outside of LA yesterday. Looked pretty cool! Would have been fun driving my 911 there. I can’t believe it’s been a little over a year ago that I sold it. Oh well, times change and people grow up....:eek:

Then they buy a Panamera ;)

PeregrineA1
12-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the input.

I've got some driving experience in a track and competitive setting, so I'm more looking to maximize my Porsche experience. Beyond the 914 I had in the '80's and some driving in friends 911/930's.

So I'm leaning towards the GT3, even though it will not be 3 pedals....it makes the correct noises and well, what the hell.

donevwil
12-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the input.

I've got some driving experience in a track and competitive setting, so I'm more looking to maximize my Porsche experience. Beyond the 914 I had in the '80's and some driving in friends 911/930's.

So I'm leaning towards the GT3, even though it will not be 3 pedals....it makes the correct noises and well, what the hell.

A buddy did it a couple times, first in a GT3 since he'd just bought one, then years later in a Cayman. He had MUCH more fun in the Cayman as he could drive it closer to it's limit. Even as a spec 911 racer the GT3 was too much car for him to fully enjoy.

That said, the GT3 is an awesome car.

SoCalSteve
12-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Then they buy a Panamera ;)

Or this...;)

GregL
12-07-2017, 04:01 PM
My brother got to meet him at a race in Portland BITD when my brother was working pit crew with another racer. He said Mr Newman was just one of the guys who liked to go fast, hanging out with the other drivers and being generally chill...
Concur 100%. Used to see PLN at Lime Rock back in the early-mid 1980s when I was an aspiring racer and pit crewed for some IMSA and SCCA teams. He was just another weekend racer, albeit with great equipment support from Bob Sharp. My mother was incredibly jealous that I occasionally rubbed shoulders (but thankfully not fenders...) with her Hollywood heartthrob.

Greg

texbike
12-08-2017, 07:29 PM

A buddy did it a couple times, first in a GT3 since he'd just bought one, then years later in a Cayman. He had MUCH more fun in the Cayman as he could drive it closer to it's limit. Even as a spec 911 racer the GT3 was too much car for him to fully enjoy.

That said, the GT3 is an awesome car.

I drove a current GT3 (and a 488 GTB) at an event today. Man, that thing was a monster. Incredible stick and go. However, it really made me appreciate the old air-cooled 911 that I had driven up to the event. The older car seemed soooo much smaller, lighter and airy after being in the GT3. It was a lot of fun to do the laps on the track with the GT3, but I honestly would have preferred to have done the same laps in the older car. It would have been more fun to me.

Regardless, good experience!

Texbike

tiretrax
12-08-2017, 08:34 PM
I'd go for something with a stick. BTW, the Macan is not a silly suggestion. The sales manager at the local dealership says it tracks as good as any high volume car they make.

PeregrineA1
12-08-2017, 09:20 PM
I’m going to call and find out what is available in a stick. A factor in the decision for sure.

Certainly the GT3 won’t be, but there are other positives...

There is a Master the Manual program in a 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abguff
12-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Or this...;)

NOW YOU'RE TALKING!!!!

I have a German buddy with a Tubo 911 and a S550. He says that the difference between the two on a 5 hour drive is about 4 minutes. But with the Porsche he's needs a nap at the end and with the S550 he feels like he just got off the couch.

bob heinatz
12-09-2017, 12:28 AM
911. Real fun car.