PDA

View Full Version : Orbea Terra

Sparshall
12-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Anyone have thoughts on the new Orbea Terra? Or better yet, some experience?

I'm currently riding an Endpoint Coffeegrinder, which is an awesome bike. However, I'm itching to expand my stable and want to go lightweight carbon. I ride almost exclusivity backroad and gravel and prefer a road bike like feel vs. something too slack and stack.

The Open Up is nice...probably a little too pricey for me and stack is too low. Ridley Xtrail is probably a real contender...anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

adub
12-05-2017, 09:45 PM
I recently went through the same process and settled on a Santa Cruz Stigmata.

If you want lower stack take a look at the new focus, apparently they have increased tire clearance to maker it a bit more multi-purpose

mistermo
12-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Ibis Hakka MX?

fignon's barber
12-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Review:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/12/orbea-terra-review/

John H.
12-06-2017, 10:45 AM
How much stack do you need?
You seem to contradict yourself.
You said you don't want too much slack and stack- Then you said that the UP is too low?

I know a guy who has been demoing a Terra- he seems to like it as well or better than his Crux.
I think the Terra is a good option if you like the position that it affords.

Santa Cruz is nice- They run big- So go by stack/reach.

Other good options are the Scott Addict Gravel ro CX.

Sparshall
12-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far.

The Stigmata seems like a good option, as well as the Ibis. Current stack is around 570 and the Medium Open Up is 551...so that's doable. I had a 2016 Cannondale Synapse that I really liked. If I could basically get that with 38-40 tire clearance, I'd be good to go.

Top Tube: 545-550
HA: 71.5-72
Stack: 570ish
Reach: 380ish
BB Drop: 7+

Luckily this space is moving quick and if my "unicorn" doesn't exist today, it will soon enough.

Pelican
12-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Luckily this space is moving quick and if my "unicorn" doesn't exist today, it will soon enough.

Take a look at a Giant TCX. I replaced a Synapse Hi-Mod with the Advanced Pro frameset and it rides as well, but I can swap between a 650b x 47c WTB Byways or the stock 700c with cross, road or road-plus (35-40c) tires. Super nice ride, and understandably overlooked by most people.

Sparshall
12-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Take a look at a Giant TCX.

I've actually always liked the looks of the TCX (yes, that matters to me), but I can't get over the 6cm BB drop. It's possible that's it's a placebo effect, but I'd like closer to 7 or more. Thanks,