I keep looking used 2015 VW TDI's
This dealer has 55 for sale at good prices
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/d/2015-volkswagen-passat/6394436049.html
but I get concerned about VW transmissions
I found this article
anyone had problems with theirs 2005 and up
4 Common Issues with a Volkswagen Transmission

June 10, 2014

The Volkswagen transmission has been documented by consumers to have a few issues that prevent the car from being a joy to ride. The Volkswagen models that have been affected by these transmission problems and have been recalled by the manufacturer are the Jetta, Jetta Sportswagen, GTI and Eos. The problems are mainly due to a fault in the Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) system. Volkswagen has also had problems with its high-end paddle gearbox, the Tiptronic transmission system.

Start your search for a new Volkswagen >>

1. The Tiptronic Transmission

The Volkswagen's Tiptronic transmission is very modern and uses cutting edge technology. However, it has a few inherent weak points. These have been identified by the manufacturer and steps have been taken to resolve them. The problems with this transmission are hard shifts from gear 1 to 2, erratic shifting from gear 3 to gear 4 and a shudder in the torque converter. These can be rectified by following the Volkswagen service bulletin and downloading the latest software.

2. Solenoid N89 Failure

In certain cases, an important solenoid, N89, has failed. This causes a sudden shift from gear 4 to gear 1, when the gear gets stuck at the shift from gear 3 to gear 4. This causes a sudden deceleration, similar to when the brakes are suddenly engaged.

3. Faulty Temperature Sensor

A faulty temperature sensor in the DSG system of models of the Jetta results in a false negative lighting of the warning lamps on the dashboard. In rare instances, this sensor results in transmission slips, causing the vehicle to shift suddenly to neutral. The affected vehicles have been recalled.

4. Faulty Clutch Component

A faulty clutch component of the mechtronic unit causes sudden downshifts. Affected vehicles have been recalled by Volkswagen.

Before you buy a Volkswagen, you should be aware of the above problems in the transmission and select a model that isn't affected by these troubles. Otherwise you should wait until the problems have been completely resolved by the manufacturer.

AngryScientist
12-05-2017, 06:06 PM
that's why you buy VW's with proper three pedal transmissions.

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/image/cache/data/OEM/DSG/GTI_7_shift_4-640x480.jpg

shovelhd
12-05-2017, 06:40 PM
A lot of those are very old, dating way back. My 2009 has an extended DSG warranty.

If you're not prepared to deal with problems, don't buy a VW. Simple as that.

ls1togo
12-05-2017, 06:52 PM
We've had both a 2003 and a 2009 Passat (still have it)...both with Tiptronic and have never had a transmission problem, actually very few problems...a failed fuel pump on the 2009 and that was it....

gavingould
12-06-2017, 09:19 PM
had a 2013 TDI Sportwagen with DSG, no problems. never made it to the 40k mile service, they bought it back before that came to pass.

palincss
12-06-2017, 09:23 PM
And nothing like those have been reported on any of the VW forums I'm on on the Vortex in the past few years either. I think the article's serving up some very outdated information.

mistermo
12-06-2017, 11:34 PM
I have a 2005 Passat TDI wagon. It's understood the auto transmission gives out somewhere around 150K miles. I found my '05 with the dead transmission, but in otherwise stellar shape. I think I paid $3000 for it? I shipped in to Greenville, SC where a chap who imports manual transmissions from Europe replaced the defunct auto with a manual. In the process, he updated the ECU and did some other fine tuning. I don't recall the final price, but it was quite reasonable. I've got a fabulous TDI, manual wagon, reflex silver, that is as reliable and solid as a tank. The car is surprisingly quick, gets 40+mpg highway, and I can't recommend it enough.

BikeNY
12-07-2017, 07:53 AM
that's why you buy VW's with proper three pedal transmissions.

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/image/cache/data/OEM/DSG/GTI_7_shift_4-640x480.jpg

This! Buy a car with a proper transmission. I've had a 2005 Golf TDI, a 2010 Golf TDI, and now a 'new' 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, and so far all have been perfect. Honestly, I don't think any of them have had any issues, transmission related or otherwise, beyond normal maintenance. All have had manual transmissions though, so can't speak for automatic issues.

I know manual transmissions are going the way of the dinosaurs, but I'm a firm believer in them still. They are usually cheaper, more reliable, require less maintenance, and are more efficient. They also give you more control over the car in adverse conditions. The TDIs in particular match very well to the 6 speed manual.

Let me know if you have any specific questions concerning the 2015 TDI cars, I've had mine since April.

oldpotatoe
12-07-2017, 07:58 AM
This! Buy a car with a proper transmission. I've had a 2005 Golf TDI, a 2010 Golf TDI, and now a 'new' 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, and so far all have been perfect. Honestly, I don't think any of them have had any issues, transmission related or otherwise, beyond normal maintenance. All have had manual transmissions though, so can't speak for automatic issues.

I know manual transmissions are going the way of the dinosaurs, but I'm a firm believer in them still. They are usually cheaper, more reliable, require less maintenance, and are more efficient. They also give you more control over the car in adverse conditions. The TDIs in particular match very well to the 6 speed manual.

Let me know if you have any specific questions concerning the 2015 TDI cars, I've had mine since April.

So, what did they end up doing to it to make it 'legal'??

Really loved my 2013 TDI JSW..really like the 2017 GSW 4 motion S also...

BikeNY
12-07-2017, 08:19 AM
So, what did they end up doing to it to make it 'legal'??

Really loved my 2013 TDI JSW..really like the 2017 GSW 4 motion S also...

The 'fix' depends on the year of the car and the transmission as well. The newest cars were the easiest to fix, as they were already closer to the required levels. I don't know the exact details, but all are getting updated software and some other changes.

I really liked my 2010 golf, was a great car. My 'new' 2015 is an awesome car, so much more refined than the 2010. I considered getting an Alltrack or GSW 4 motion, but when they announced the 'new' 2015 cars would go back on sale, I jumped on one. Honestly, my ultimate car, which unfortunately will never be sold in the US, would be an Alltrack TDI with a manual transmission. Guess I have to move to Europe...

oldpotatoe
12-07-2017, 08:31 AM
The 'fix' depends on the year of the car and the transmission as well. The newest cars were the easiest to fix, as they were already closer to the required levels. I don't know the exact details, but all are getting updated software and some other changes.

I really liked my 2010 golf, was a great car. My 'new' 2015 is an awesome car, so much more refined than the 2010. I considered getting an Alltrack or GSW 4 motion, but when they announced the 'new' 2015 cars would go back on sale, I jumped on one. Honestly, my ultimate car, which unfortunately will never be sold in the US, would be an Alltrack TDI with a manual transmission. Guess I have to move to Europe...

Agree..too bad VW screwed the pooch on these..I love 4 motion, loved TDI...but....

Ralph
12-07-2017, 09:08 AM
RE the "efficiency" of manual transmissions. Every vehicle I have every looked over the specs on with either a CVT or a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) has a higher MPG rating than the same car with a manual transmission car. Most of the 8-9-10 speed tq converter transmissions as well....although they are not more efficient....just have more gears to lower RPM with.

PacNW2Ford
12-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Difference between mechanical efficiency and fuel economy, especially on a standardized "test". The methodology may favor the automatics on a dyno test with an artificial driving program. The EPA test is known to be a poor reflection of how people drive in the real world.

William
12-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Another manual transmission fan here.

Since I posted in the other VW thread, more and more of them have been showing up in Quonset to the point were there is a virtual ocean of VW's out there. Every time I drive through there they have row upon row of them with their hoods up as a group of guys with a truck work their way up and down the rows "fixing" them.

Still wonder what they are going to do with all these things?

William

BikeNY
12-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Another manual transmission fan here.

Since I posted in the other VW thread, more and more of them have been showing up in Quonset to the point were there is a virtual ocean of VW's out there. Every time I drive through there they have row upon row of them with their hoods up as a group of guys with a truck work their way up and down the rows "fixing" them.

Still wonder what they are going to do with all these things?

William

If they are fixing them, they will be resold as certified pre-owned cars.

BikeNY
12-07-2017, 11:21 AM
RE the "efficiency" of manual transmissions. Every vehicle I have every looked over the specs on with either a CVT or a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) has a higher MPG rating than the same car with a manual transmission car. Most of the 8-9-10 speed tq converter transmissions as well....although they are not more efficient....just have more gears to lower RPM with.

Back in the day, the manual version always had better EPA fuel economy numbers than the automatics. As you pointed out, the newer CVT, DSG, and 7+ speed transmissions have made it a different story concerning EPA numbers, with the automatics sometimes posting slightly better numbers. But in real world driving, the manual will still be more efficient. Also, as I mentioned earlier, there are numerous other advantages to a manual as well.

Ralph
12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
I think some of the "newer in use" so called automatics such as a DSG (a DCT) are more efficient period. Not saying I prefer to drive them.

palincss
12-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Well, I will say I prefer to drive them. My cars had manuals from 1980 to 2003. I tried the M6 on a GSW 4Motion. Sorry, but as BB King put it, The Thrill is Gone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oica5jG7FpU). Look for the friction point where the clutch starts to engage - impossible to feel it. Oh, on the Vortex they talk about fixes - remove the something or other valve, replace the shifter mechanism, whatever - even if they did make the clutch feel like my 1992 Saab 900 it would still be hell hitting Vienna on I66 coming back from a ride in Fauquier County.

I'll never forget going to the Shenandoah Fall Festival in 2016: 1 hr to get from I495 onto I66 (and that's what, 0.2 mi on the cloverleaf?) and at the far end around 45 min to get from I66 onto I81 due to traffic jams. Bad enough with a DSG or an automatic, but 200 cycles of neutral to first engage the clutch depress the clutch shift from 1st into neutral repeat in 100 yards - that's not the kind of "driver engagement" I'm interested in, thanks just the same. That's even worse than manually operated windshield wipers.

Ken Robb
12-07-2017, 04:41 PM
I'm still driving my 2007 MINI Cooper S 6 speed manual and it's still fun when I'm not in stop/go traffic. If that traffic is expected we take our 2014 Mazda 3 with 6 speed automatic. It is SUCH a good automatic that I only use the paddle shifters on steep downhills where the car will downshift to 4th with no input from me but I will bump it down to 2nd with the paddles. When I put it in Sport Mode it shifts up and down just as I would driving on a racetrack and I have thousands of track miles behind me.

Mazda manual transmissions/clutches are some of the best I have ever driven but if I were to buy a new car now I would get an automatic if it was as good as Mazda's.

Ralph
12-07-2017, 07:45 PM
The 6 speed auto in the Mazda is a traditional tq converter type auto trans. it is a good one.

I think, but not positive, that transmission is made by Aisin. The old Asian Borg Warner company....now majority owned by Toyota. Strangely.....a few years ago, my wife owned a Mercury with that same transmission. Only Ford product I was aware of that had a serviceable auto trans...with a dip stick. Lots of vehicles come with Aisin's.

I believe the DCT in the VW's is also a good transmission. Same DCT transmission is in the Ford Focus I believe, and after Ford got the programing down, few complaints. Is it a ZF or in house VW? Strange it would have complaints in the VW's, and not in the many other applications it is used.

likebikes
12-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Well, I will say I prefer to drive them. My cars had manuals from 1980 to 2003. I tried the M6 on a GSW 4Motion. Sorry, but as BB King put it, The Thrill is Gone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oica5jG7FpU). Look for the friction point where the clutch starts to engage - impossible to feel it. Oh, on the Vortex they talk about fixes - remove the something or other valve, replace the shifter mechanism, whatever - even if they did make the clutch feel like my 1992 Saab 900 it would still be hell hitting Vienna on I66 coming back from a ride in Fauquier County.

one word: clutch delay valve.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2017, 07:19 AM

I'll never forget going to the Shenandoah Fall Festival in 2016: 1 hr to get from I495 onto I66 (and that's what, 0.2 mi on the cloverleaf?) and at the far end around 45 min to get from I66 onto I81 due to traffic jams. Bad enough with a DSG or an automatic, but 200 cycles of neutral to first engage the clutch depress the clutch shift from 1st into neutral repeat in 100 yards - that's not the kind of "driver engagement" I'm interested in, thanks just the same. That's even worse than manually operated windshield wipers.

Nothing like above but my 2017 GSW is the first non manual I've owned in 47 years of cars..starting with a 1961 Beetle I bought when in college(1970)..7 other VWs, Hondas, Mazda(RX-2...vroom, vroom-Wankel), 2 Fords and even a Fiat...all manuals. And gotta say, stuck in traffic into Denver...DSG pretty nice. I STILL sometimes lift my left foot and put my hand on shift lever but all in all...really like it.

shovelhd
12-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Nothing like above but my 2017 GSW is the first non manual I've owned in 47 years of cars..starting with a 1961 Beetle I bought when in college(1970)..7 other VWs, Hondas, Mazda(RX-2...vroom, vroom-Wankel), 2 Fords and even a Fiat...all manuals. And gotta say, stuck in traffic into Denver...DSG pretty nice. I STILL sometimes lift my left foot and put my hand on shift lever but all in all...really like it.

Launch Control.

velomateo
12-09-2017, 06:15 AM
I like the DSG in my 2012 Golf TDI, its a very slick transmission. I do the service every 40K and it’s held up well so far. The wife has the same DSG in her CC as well.
I was a manual only guy since getting DL at 16, until getting the Golf. Of course in heavy traffic, the auto is a plus. I do find the TDI’s turbo lag a bit frustrating in slow freeway driving tho, so I tend switch to the Sport mode to make the car respond quicker. It doesn’t effect the fuel economy enough for me to notice either.