PDA

View Full Version : Best Time of Year to Sell Your Bike?

BryonB
12-05-2017, 03:19 PM
I have my bike up for sale on the local Craigslist reasonable priced I think.Been on there for several weeks and not a nibble?

Is there a better time of the year to sell?

My Add

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/d/trek-emonda-alr-6-54cm/6394952171.html

MattTuck
12-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Probably not heading into winter :)

This is the time to be selling indoor trainers.

Clean39T
12-05-2017, 03:27 PM
I have my bike up for sale on the local Craigslist reasonable priced I think.Been on there for several weeks and not a nibble?

Is there a better time of the year to sell?

My Add

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/d/trek-emonda-alr-6-54cm/6394952171.html

It’s definitely a rough time to sell in Portland (this week aside). And a rough time to sell “normal” road bikes in general. Good luck though, you’ve got a nice bike there...

zzy
12-05-2017, 03:52 PM
The first really nice weekend of the year (usually mid march here in the NE) is a great time to sell. Everyone wants to get out and ride after the winter.
Those without bikes start looking to pick one up, and those with bikes think about upgrading. You can still move bikes now but you usually lose at least 25%, as the buyers this time of year are usually much more shrewd and it's a buyer's market.

batman1425
12-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Road bikes and MTB in early spring, cross bikes mid to late summer. When your 'average joe' starts thinking about an upgrade as they are feeling the itch for that particular season. Most folks buy for the season they are thinking about now, not what's coming in 4mo+. Instant instead of delayed gratification. Same with any associated gear specific to any of those disciplines. Don't expect to get top dollar for your deep carbon wheels in January or your stash of CX tubulars in April. Post tax return also tends to be a good time to list things.

FlashUNC
12-05-2017, 04:05 PM
There's a reason some bike shops are also in the ski/snowboard business.

cmg
12-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Your ad needs to mention why you think this is a good deal. Talk up the low miles , the wheels, etc. etc. those aspects of the bike you liked. Do not mention what you are not providing, you'll get requests for those. Play up the positives. try to sell in early spring or when your neck of the woods comes alive.

R3awak3n
12-05-2017, 04:06 PM
yeah, right now is not a good time. Gets worst the colder and snowy it gets (unless selling fat bike).

I agree with zzy, first day weather gets nice, people either don't have a bike or want a new bike, they will spend extra.

charliedid
12-05-2017, 04:30 PM
I'd price it at $1100

msl819
12-05-2017, 04:45 PM
The first really nice weekend of the year (usually mid march here in the NE) is a great time to sell. Everyone wants to get out and ride after the winter.
Those without bikes start looking to pick one up, and those with bikes think about upgrading. You can still move bikes now but you usually lose at least 25%, as the buyers this time of year are usually much more shrewd and it's a buyer's market.

And more frugal since, unless it is a gift purchase, this time of year usually involves enough expenditures. Unless the OP is willing to make a real sweet deal I’d wait until Spring.

marciero
12-05-2017, 04:53 PM
I'm going to guess it depends on the market. On Paceline, I've not noticed seasonal swings. I've not really looked, either.

joosttx
12-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Early spring

fa63
12-05-2017, 05:09 PM
I'd price it at $1100

I have to agree; I don't think that pricing is helping it. It is a buyer's market for sure.

shovelhd
12-05-2017, 05:16 PM
You're also up against shops blowing out the 2017 leftovers so they don't get stuck with them in the spring. You can get a new 2017 Emonda for what you are asking. GLWS. I'd wait until April.

BryanE
12-05-2017, 07:12 PM
What did it cost you.
Show everybody what a great deal it is.
I always put down what I have into a for sale bike of mine.
If it remains unsold during prime selling time can mean only one thing.
It's worth more to you than a prospective buyer
Good luck

bobdenver1961
12-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Spring when it starts to warm up is the best by far.

I've bought several bikes this past month. Great deals. The sellers pretty much say that I'm the only one who responded to their ads.

Kontact
12-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Trek makes it hard with too many models, each with multiple levels. So I would make sure you put the new price in the ad, because some Emonda's are less than that new.

BryonB
12-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback. I will update the add and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

josephr
12-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Trek makes it hard with too many models, each with multiple levels. So I would make sure you put the new price in the ad, because some Emonda's are less than that new.

my sentiments exactly....there was an ALR posted here earlier this year with 105 around $900 and then it didn't sell and then he tried to sell as a frameset. Not sure if its still available, but it was a great deal but cash is short these days for me. MSRP on a new ALR with full Tiagra 10s is $1000. Sure, its not Ultegra, but out-the-door depreciation on AL bikes is harsh.

And, its not really a good time to sell.

tuxbailey
12-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Winter is buyer's market.