PDA

View Full Version : Way, way OT-any Ruger LC9s/pro owners?

oldpotatoe
12-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Freebie coming your way (not a hand gun but dovetail grip) if ya want it. :)

parris
12-05-2017, 03:11 PM
I'll ask around work. Most of us are Glock, Sig, Smith of various models but I remember a couple were saying they were thinking of the Ruger.

sales guy
12-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Freebie coming your way (not a hand gun but dovetail grip) if ya want it. :)

How's the safety trigger on that? I can't stand them personally. Sigs are my favorite.

seanile
12-05-2017, 03:49 PM
i'll take it! i was going to buy one by the end of the year. my p229 is a bit too fat for carrying and 1911 too long.

first world problems ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oldpotatoe
12-05-2017, 05:01 PM
i'll take it! i was going to buy one by the end of the year. my p229 is a bit too fat for carrying and 1911 too long.

first world problems ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Done and spoken for!

oldpotatoe
12-05-2017, 05:03 PM
How's the safety trigger on that? I can't stand them personally. Sigs are my favorite.

Thumb safety no big deal...just no fun to shoot. And if yer gonna carry it, gotta practice and be good with it. Glock 42 small, comfy, fun to shoot and as effective as 9mm with right ammo. Dead is dead😝

alancw3
12-06-2017, 09:22 AM
what is rugar overall quality? i am thinking of buying a mark 4 hunter .22 as an inexpensive shooting range pistol. a much cheaper way of shooting versus my 1911 colt .45.

oldpotatoe
12-06-2017, 09:44 AM
what is rugar overall quality? i am thinking of buying a mark 4 hunter .22 as an inexpensive shooting range pistol. a much cheaper way of shooting versus my 1911 colt .45.

Excellent with best warranty department going(could be good news or bad news). But I have very limited knowledge, just this one item that I had for only about 4 months/shot 3 times/about 400 rounds...no issue. But compared to Glock, much more complicated.

Ken Robb
12-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Ruger has made thousands of .22 automatics for about 60 years so they must be doing it right. They shoot well too.

parris
12-06-2017, 10:18 AM
The Ruger 22 is a great handgun. Several models are a pain if you want to disassemble them but like Ken stated they've been around for many years.

If youre not locked into Ruger though take a look at the Browning Buckmark line. I have 2 and have been very happy with them.

Bruce K
12-06-2017, 11:06 AM
I had the LC9s for about 3 hours

Broke after 8 rounds

No more plastic pistols for me

Dealer replaced it with a Sig 938 and I never looked back

As for 22s -I Shoot a S&W Model 41 in Competition. Ruger Mark IVs solve the cleaning/takedown issues. If you’ve got the $$$ get a Volquartsen Scorpion.

BK

jmoore
12-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Thumb safety no big deal...just no fun to shoot. And if yer gonna carry it, gotta practice and be good with it. Glock 42 small, comfy, fun to shoot and as effective as 9mm with right ammo. Dead is dead😝

^this will be my next gun

SpokeValley
12-06-2017, 11:40 AM
^this will be my next gun

I was looking at a Glock 42 this week (already have a 19 Gen 4) for CC but changed my mind and got a S&W M&P 9 Sheild on sale for $369. Great carry piece. 8+1, nice safety (my one complaint about Glock) nice feel and balance.

William
12-06-2017, 11:44 AM
I guess people think I'm snobby because I like my HK's. :) They are more ambi friendly to me. That said I know a few folks who like the LC9 so there is that.

William

jmoore
12-06-2017, 11:47 AM
I was looking at a Glock 42 this week (already have a 19 Gen 4) for CC but changed my mind and got a S&W M&P 9 Sheild on sale for $369. Great carry piece. 8+1, nice safety (my one complaint about Glock) nice feel and balance.

The Shield 9mm was my choice up until I handled the Glock 42. And I've always hated Glocks, so this surprised me a lot. Great guns, both of them.

oldpotatoe
12-06-2017, 12:34 PM

Shot some small 9mm...wrist/thumb couldn’t handle them. Sons Glock 17gen5 very nice but ain’t gonna carry that....Getting old ain’t for sissies(arthritis in wrist, poorly repaired dislocated thumb)...but it’s like ‘whatever shift lever feels best in hand’ type gig.

gdw
12-06-2017, 12:46 PM
It's surprising, well not really, to learn another resident of the bubble feels the need to pack heat for self-protection. Do you already have or are you in the process of applying for a concealed permit OP?

ripvanrando
12-06-2017, 12:47 PM
I guess people think I'm snobby because I like my HK's. :) They are more ambi friendly to me. That said I know a few folks who like the LC9 so there is that.

William

I'm kinda partial to my P938 with its pretty rosewood

ripvanrando
12-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Shot some small 9mm...wrist/thumb couldn’t handle them. Sons Glock 17gen5 very nice but ain’t gonna carry that....Getting old ain’t for sissies(arthritis in wrist, poorly repaired dislocated thumb)...but it’s like ‘whatever shift lever feels best in hand’ type gig.

I hear ya. Its embarrassing. I just cleaned some today and my battered hands had a hard time getting the Glock apart but the Walter was easy. I left the Sig for my son to do

William
12-06-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm kinda partial to my P938 with its pretty rosewood

Nothing wrong with that, if you like what you like go with it.

Interesting note: The folks that run the range I belong to have been Sig heavy for a while. I just went in the other day and everyone had switched to and were raving about CZ. That was a quick switch over...and they even still had SIG days there last weekend even though everyone is running CZ's now.

What ever floats your boat. :)

William

oldpotatoe
12-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Nothing wrong with that, if you like what you like go with it.

Interesting note: The folks that run the range I belong to have been Sig heavy for a while. I just went in the other day and everyone had switched to and were raving about CZ. That was a quick switch over...and they even still had SIG days there last weekend even though everyone is running CZ's now.

What ever floats your boat. :)

William

Like bikes, cars, motorcycles, guns, ‘put name of a thing here’, brand loyalty very strong.

sales guy
12-06-2017, 01:45 PM
I can't stand Glocks. They feel cheap. And the trigger safety, UGH!!! despise that! I like Sig, HK and S&W. The 40 Performance Center model with the ports is awesome. Still love my Sigs tho. 226, 229, MK25, Mosquito even. All really nice. Shoot super well.

oldpotatoe
12-06-2017, 01:51 PM
It's surprising, well not really, to learn another resident of the bubble feels the need to pack heat for self-protection. Do you already have or are you in the process of applying for a concealed permit OP?

Have...not a gun guy or gun freak or 2nd amendment weirdo but it’s all about protecting my grand daughters....strange world, has been for a while. Hear shots at mall? Gonna go the other way. Doubt I’ll ever need it. Many LEO go an entire career w/o ever taking it out.

For salesguy above, like I said, brand loyalty. Shot M/P, Ruger, Glock(42 and 43), Sig...chose Glock but 5 people in a room and ask about handguns, get 6 opinions.:)

sales guy
12-06-2017, 01:58 PM
For salesguy above, like I said, brand loyalty. Shot M/P, Ruger, Glock(42 and 43), Sig...chose Glock but 5 people in a room and ask about handguns, get 6 opinions.:)

Agreed. I have friends who are NRA Instructors and I get to play with a bunch of different guns. That trigger safety is what I don't like. Feels funny to me. Throws me off.

SpokeValley
12-06-2017, 02:00 PM

I've had mine for several years.

SpokeValley
12-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Have...not a gun guy or gun freak or 2nd amendment weirdo but it’s all about protecting my grand daughters....strange world, has been for a while. Hear shots at mall? Gonna go the other way. Doubt I’ll ever need it. Many LEO go an entire career w/o ever taking it out.

Ditto. Strange world indeed. I'm more of a "be prepared" guy, but not really a "prepper".

William
12-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Ditto. Strange world indeed. I'm more of a "be prepared" guy, but not really a "prepper".

Nothing wrong with being prepared...because if you're not, you won't be.

William

oldpotatoe
12-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Agreed. I have friends who are NRA Instructors and I get to play with a bunch of different guns. That trigger safety is what I don't like. Feels funny to me. Throws me off.

Ruger first but 3rd time I shot it realized it wasn’t gonna work. Initially got it for thumb safety, realized non safety(Glock) no big deal. I know a guy who has 4 Sigs of the 4 sizes, 20 magazines(5 per), carries a ‘backup’ gun...ya never want to even mention NRA or anything related to it unless you want to listen to him rant for about an hour......I’m not that guy.

Back to bikes, (slightly) less contentious....:)

For angry above, ‘rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it’....not a ‘doomsday prepper’ either, well except for zombies, gotta remember ‘bout zombies.:eek:

William
12-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Ruger first but 3rd time I shot it realized it wasn’t gonna work. Initially got it for thumb safety, realized non safety(Glock) no big deal. I know a guy who has 4 Sigs of the 4 sizes, 20 magazines(5 per), carries a ‘backup’ gun...ya never want to even mention NRA or anything related to it unless you want to listen to him rant for about an hour......I’m not that guy.

Back to bikes, (slightly) less contentious....:)

For angry above, ‘rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it’....not a ‘doomsday prepper’ either, well except for zombies, gotta remember ‘bout zombies.:eek:

The zombies, I'm going for the treadmill defense there...

William

ripvanrando
12-06-2017, 02:19 PM
I really, really wanted to own an HK but lots of rental time and I'm not accurate with them although not bad with the one that had the police trigger on it (P30L....LEM?). For whatever reason, I am good with the Walter and love the trigger. I tried to love the HK but my permits were about to expire and the Walter had my name on it.

My mosquieto is not terribly reliable even with the recommended CCI. To many failures to cycle or fail to fire. Cheap practice but.....

seanile
12-06-2017, 02:19 PM
hahaha @william, i don't always laugh out loud at posts on the internet, but when i do, it's posts like that which'll make me do it. very funny :hello:

gdw
12-06-2017, 02:20 PM

I asked about the permit because several of my neighbors have expressed interest in purchasing pistols for protection recently and in the past they were difficult to acquire in our county. We've had 4 incidents where homeowners discovered drunken or drugged students, vagrants, or burglars in their homes over the past year and two occasions where the police had to deal with armed transients menacing the public. One doesn't expect to have these real world problems in a nice neighborhood in the people's republic.

sales guy
12-06-2017, 02:46 PM

The one guy who is a long time bike guy in Florida, he's pissed at the NRA also. Oh he will rant if you let him. Former military, lifetime NRA, CCW/OC instructor.

Yeah, I'd rather have a thumb safety. Much happier with them.

William
12-06-2017, 02:53 PM
I really, really wanted to own an HK but lots of rental time and I'm not accurate with them although not bad with the one that had the police trigger on it (P30L....LEM?). For whatever reason, I am good with the Walter and love the trigger. I tried to love the HK but my permits were about to expire and the Walter had my name on it.

My mosquieto is not terribly reliable even with the recommended CCI. To many failures to cycle or fail to fire. Cheap practice but.....

I did the same thing and when I hit the VP9, the USP .09, .40, and .45 I was extremely accurate with them. The ergonomics fit my big hand and the ambi paddle mag release was very nice as a lefty. The S&W M&P's also felt good to me but the HK's I liked slightly better. I didn't dislike Walther, or Springfield and I also worked through a number of different Sig, Kimber, Beretta and Glock models. I wanted to like the P320 but I had way too many failures to extract when I was working it. Checked around online and discovered it wasn't an isolated incident. Maybe I'll try the next version.

William

54ny77
12-06-2017, 03:08 PM
you'll shoot your eye out!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IncredibleArtisticCrow-small.gif

:p

William
12-06-2017, 04:00 PM
you'll shoot your eye out!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IncredibleArtisticCrow-small.gif

:p

That's a good example of irresponsible behavior! Ralphie never attended a firearms safety course, he didn't positively identify what he was shooting at and didn't pay attention to what lies in front of and beyond it. :no:

:):):)

William

jmoore
12-06-2017, 10:45 PM
I think it's interesting that plenty of people on this forum can talk about pistols all day, but any hunting talk would devolve quickly!

Carry on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

seanile
12-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Hows that? Im gonna be spending the next three days in the woods cursing the squirrels that sound like deerz

PSC
12-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Life member of the NRA, which I am now embarrassed about. as the politics have changed in 25 years. Down to a Sig Sauer 239, Glock 17 and the shotgun by my wife's bed. I have a CCW for WA , but I never really carry, even though I live in a really crappy neighborhood. I'm in the military, and hate the way they train you to shoot. I try to shoot every few months (with the Sig, awesome weapon) to keep proficient, keep familiar with the gun and on my terms, don't really enjoy it. Much rather ride my bike. Sorry a few beers into a rant.

dave thompson
12-06-2017, 11:39 PM
I used to sell guns, worked as a rep for a firearms distributor, drove all around the Pacific Northwest with a carload of guns. My personal carry was a 1911 I worked on, that pistol and I got along splendidly. I loved that gun and still have it though I don’t carry anymore.

I *was* a life member of the NRA until they lost their way several years ago. I cut up my membership card, mailed it back to them requesting they strike my name from their membership rolls and cancel my magazine subscription. Never heard from them.

Bruce K
12-07-2017, 04:08 AM
:cool:That is shocking, Dave. ;)

I have had 2, 1-year memberships to the NRA when it was required to join a new club. Never renewed either time. I couldn’t stand their knee jerk reactions to every little thing, and the constant mailings, emails, and phone calls looking for more money or trying to sell me BS stuff drove me crazy.

It took a long time after the membership expired to have it all pretty much stop.

I do belong to GOAL as they are big advocates in MA against a legislature that would ban everything if it could.

We also have some of the dumbest stuff still on the books from long ago We still have a hunting ban on Sundays here (which folks are trying to change), and there is still a law requiring men to bring a long gun to church on Sundays to defend against Indian attacks (no longer enforced).

BK

jmoore
12-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Hows that? Im gonna be spending the next three days in the woods cursing the squirrels that sound like deerz

I am not pointing out anyone in particular about what they do or don't do.

I was simply thinking there was a bit of a different attitude about guns in general and hunting. I posted a thread a few years ago about my son's first dove hunt and that devolved fast!

Good luck on your squirrel/deer hunt! I was squirrel hunting behind some dogs last weekend. It was very fun!

bigbill
12-07-2017, 11:05 AM
I've got a MP Shield 40. With the 7 round magazine it fits nicely in my hand. There's a hardware store about 8 miles from me that has a nice selection and decent prices. I think I paid around $370 for it. 40 ammo is more expensive but I really just need to keep proficient and if I had to defend myself, I'd rather have the 40. I don't carry although there are times I've had it in my rack bag on some parts of the Northeast Texas Trail before they arrested some poachers.

csm
12-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Glock 17 and a ccw permit. Rarely carry anymore; mainly only when back packing or camping. Never a member of the NRA...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sokyroadie
12-07-2017, 12:25 PM
I have a weird issue, I am missing the middle joint in 4 fingers the pinky and the trigger finger on both hands, I can't shoot most handguns (or long guns) unless I use my middle finger. The exceptions are the 1911 based guns, I have a couple of Kimber Micro's in 380 with the extended mag. and I think they are great for carry pistols.

Jeff

Tickdoc
12-07-2017, 12:45 PM
partial to Hk here. Never warmed up to glocks. They feel like bricks in my hand.

I like Ruger too, but didn't like the long trigger pul,l of that LC9.

Would love to try a Steyr M class some day. Their sighting is very unique and I was dead on at the range with one one day.

Pew pew!

ripvanrando
12-07-2017, 01:31 PM
I desperately wanted a competition German air pistol (either Walther or Feinwerkbau) but the pistol permits are good for a very limited period of time (a month if I remember) and could not get one in time because of limited availability, shipping, FFL time.....logistics. Tried three times to get my fancy BB gun. Last permit I burned on a Glock that I rarely use-it has to be the Cannonwhale of the firearm world.

Ken Robb
12-07-2017, 01:39 PM
I desperately wanted a competition German air pistol (either Walther or Feinwerkbau) but the pistol permits are good for a very limited period of time (a month if I remember) and could not get one in time because of limited availability, shipping, FFL time.....logistics. Tried three times to get my fancy BB gun. Last permit I burned on a Glock that I rarely use-it has to be the Cannonwhale of the firearm world.

Where do you live? I hadn't heard about permits to buy air guns.

ripvanrando
12-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Where do you live? I hadn't heard about permits to buy air guns.

NJ

If you visit with a BB/pellet handgun or even airsoft, be prepared for felony charges and generally 3 or 5 year sentence. If you have to pass thru, you know the drill but don't stop

An actor was arrested for using an airsoft gun on set filming without a permit. It took a Governor's pardon to get him off. Kid shooting rubber duckies in back yard using airsoft......felony charge.

Ken Robb
12-07-2017, 02:18 PM
NJ

If you visit with a BB/pellet handgun or even airsoft, be prepared for felony charges and generally 3 or 5 year sentence. If you have to pass thru, you know the drill but don't stop

An actor was arrested for using an airsoft gun on set filming without a permit. It took a Governor's pardon to get him off. Kid shooting rubber duckies in back yard using airsoft......felony charge.

When was this law passed? I guess Gov. Christie might have vetoed it. I don't remember any mention of this law when I watched "The Sopranos". :rolleyes:

ripvanrando
12-07-2017, 03:01 PM
When was this law passed? I guess Gov. Christie might have vetoed it. I don't remember any mention of this law when I watched "The Sopranos". :rolleyes:

It has been the law for quite sometime, not sure of the date. No FFL wants to deal with air pistols (ordering them) because there is no margin and they just don't sell them here, period. This was my problem. Hard to believe but true.

Every state has weird, different laws.

In SC, the gun belongs in the glove box for instance. Massive no-no in most states.