PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a stupid question re: barrel adjusters

Nooch
12-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Do you *need* springs with DK Brass adjusters?

I just received a set for the moots and pull the springs off the adjusters that were previously there, but where I've got them screwed into, it just looks sloppy -- springs are fully compressed.

So, i could get some new springs, or is there any issue not using springs at all?

R3awak3n
12-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Do you *need* springs with DK Brass adjusters?

I just received a set for the moots and pull the springs off the adjusters that were previously there, but where I've got them screwed into, it just looks sloppy -- springs are fully compressed.

So, i could get some new springs, or is there any issue not using springs at all?

I feel like if you don't have springs they are a bit woobly. I suppose you could use them without springs but personally I wouldn't

54ny77
12-05-2017, 09:56 AM
no you don't absolutely need them, but yes they're a nice-to-have.

i lost mine somewhere along the way when building a bike with the dk brass jewels. they're probably under a piece of shelving or whatever that is not getting moved anytime soon.

at one point i went to a local true value hardware store and bought a bunch of small stainless springs, snipped them to fit (length-wise), and installed as normal. cost was maybe a couple bucks or thereabouts. that's the easiest & cheapest fix.

i just went down to check my bin of small parts and found 4 springs, but they must've been the two sets that didn't fit (i bought 3 sets and took a guess at sizing, since i forgot to bring the adjuster with me). if i had extras that fit i'd gladly mail 'em to you. sorry!

berserk87
12-05-2017, 10:47 AM
I neglected to add springs to mine on the initial build of my current bike. The adjusters kept backing in over time, and as a result I would lose a bit of cable tension.

It may depend on what adjusters you are using and how tightly they thread into your frame. Mine had a fair degree of play. I put springs in and it eliminated the problem. I think your answer varies - you may be able to get by without, or maybe not.

I'm assuming DK is Dave Kirk? I'm using these myself.

ColonelJLloyd
12-05-2017, 10:50 AM
I usually thread the adjusters all the way in and then back out about 1.5 turns. I've seen some springs that do look too compressed. You may be able to shorten the spring with some wire cutters.

Dude
12-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Springs are there to provide tension on the barrel adjuster so they don't wiggle and effect shifting. They're like a lock washer for your adjuster.

If I'm understanding your first post correctly, you mentioned that the springs are compressed all the way down? If that's the case, just readjust the cable tension unless they are really long springs.

echelon_john
12-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Blue Loc-Tite.

54ny77
12-05-2017, 11:47 AM
p.s. if you already have springs and they're fully compressed, just cut 'em to fit, i.e., snip an 1/8" off or whatever works.

berserk87
12-05-2017, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure I understand the issue after reading some of the replies - is this a cosmetic issue you are having or a functional issue?

sales guy
12-05-2017, 01:16 PM
They aren't mandatory but they help keep the adjusters from vibrating loose while riding.

Nooch
12-05-2017, 01:21 PM
all good advice, and both cosmetic as my wondering the function. I've never used DK's adjusters before, just the usual plastic ones that come with my frames, so i've never really thought about them. I naively thought they came with springs and didn't ask, but Dave told me any spring should work. When I pulled the springs out of the adjusters that were on the frame when received, I still have quite a bit that the barrel adjusters could go in, but the spring is fully compressed and starts to move up the knob -- springs might be both too long and too wide for this purpose.

So, I wasn't sure if I actually needed them :)

Sidenote, paragon lists a McMaster part number for springs that fit their "look a whole lot like Dave's barrel adjusters but in steel" adjusters, but I also don't really want to wait, and I also don't really want to pull the cables to put new springs in after the fact...

Thanks for the advice, all!

sales guy
12-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Sidenote, paragon lists a McMaster part number for springs that fit their "look a whole lot like Dave's barrel adjusters but in steel" adjusters, but I also don't really want to wait, and I also don't really want to pull the cables to put new springs in after the fact...

The ones from Paragon are stainless steel. They don't offer a steel one.

54ny77
12-05-2017, 01:41 PM
chances are you compressed the current springs to render them not too effective. and they might be too big, like you said.

seriously, go to a good true value that has small parts and bring one of kirk adjusters so you know what side to get (just a tad larger than threaded end). a spring is usually about 75 cents. use a pair of wire snips to trim. presto, done.

all good advice, and both cosmetic as my wondering the function. I've never used DK's adjusters before, just the usual plastic ones that come with my frames, so i've never really thought about them. I naively thought they came with springs and didn't ask, but Dave told me any spring should work. When I pulled the springs out of the adjusters that were on the frame when received, I still have quite a bit that the barrel adjusters could go in, but the spring is fully compressed and starts to move up the knob -- springs might be both too long and too wide for this purpose.

So, I wasn't sure if I actually needed them :)

Nooch
12-05-2017, 01:47 PM
chances are you compressed the current springs to render them not too effective. and they might be too big, like you said.

seriously, go to a good true value that has small parts and bring one of kirk adjusters so you know what side to get (just a tad larger than threaded end). a spring is usually about 75 cents. use a pair of wire snips to trim. presto, done.

sounds like a plan.