PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay or Shimano

tjk23
12-04-2017, 05:37 AM
Just wondering which pedal system you are using and why? And if anyone made the change from one to the other what was the deciding factor?

Black Dog
12-04-2017, 06:18 AM
Both are great. Do a thread search and you will find more than enough answers to your question.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2017, 06:41 AM
Just wondering which pedal system you are using and why? And if anyone made the change from one to the other what was the deciding factor?

Speedplay Zero, have for almost 15 years
-Adjustable float
-2 sided, easy, 'step onna bug' entry
-most adjustable cleat-fore-aft and left-right
-Easily rebuildable
-metal cleats and now 'walkable' cleats
-many axle length options
-fall and kill one pedal? Can buy one pedal.

shimano works very well also, more price points but essentially shimano version of LOOK pedals(much better than Look tho, IMO-in terms of function, noise and durability)..

weisan
12-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Just a data point.

Got my one and only bike fit 10 years ago with Dr. Andy Pruitt at Boulder. Limited range of motion, major hip issues due to an old injury. Was using Speedplay at the time thinking that the adjustable float will provide the necessary compensation for wacky pedaling/sitting position. He recommended switching over to Shimano SPL for "better stability" and rein in on the issues.

That's all he said.

Took his recommendation, made the switch, never looked back since.

abguff
12-04-2017, 06:49 AM
I have tried many but keep going back to Time. I still have one set of shimano road and they are OK but just don't feel exactly right.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Just a data point.

Got my one and only bike fit 10 years ago with Dr. Andy Pruitt at Boulder. Limited range of motion, major hip issues due to an old injury. Was using Speedplay at the time thinking that the adjustable float will provide the necessary compensation for wacky pedaling/sitting position. He recommended switching over to Shimano SPL for "better stability" and rein in on the issues.

That's all he said.

Took his recommendation, made the switch, never looked back since.

Pruitt(who I know well and have built probably 5 of his bikes), was 'almost' sued by the owner of SP. NOT saying his rec. wasn't a great one for you but Andy has/had some real issues with SP, mostly the X series(unlimited float).

I'd rec. the OP go to a shop that has a SP test program and try them. I went from LOOK/Campag to Campag ProFit then tried Zeros..and would never go back to Look style.
The adjustable float is what does it for me(torn MCL RH knee and broken back in 2002)..adjusted with almost no float RH and just a wee bit LH(about 2 degrees)...Pruitt added a wedge in my RH pedal(that I still have)..BUT did the fit with SP, and I just nodded when he bad mouthed them. :)

weisan
12-04-2017, 07:01 AM
Pruitt(who I know well and have built probably 5 of his bikes), was 'almost' sued by the owner of SP. NOT saying his rec. wasn't a great one for you but Andy has/had some real issues with SP, mostly the X series(unlimited float).

I'd rec. the OP go to a shop that has a SP test program and try them. I went from LOOK/Campag to Campag ProFit then tried Zeros..and would never go back to Look style.
The adjustable float is what does it for me(torn MCL RH knee and broken back in 2002)..adjusted with almost no float RH and just a wee bit LH(about 2 degrees)...Pruitt added a wedge in my RH pedal(that I still have)..BUT did the fit with SP, and I just nodded when he bad mouthed them. :)

That's a really good data point.

It adds balance and informs.

shovelhd
12-04-2017, 07:05 AM
I needed the Speedplay stomp and go for racing, and the float. They are high maintenance, but I'll never switch.

AngryScientist
12-04-2017, 07:25 AM
they may have improved since i tried them, but what drove me away from speedplays is that the cleats would foul if you even looked at dirt.

i've been very happy with everything about SPD-SLs. thousands of miles now, both road and gravel.

this year i think i am going to switch the bike that i ride mostly offroad to SPD though, for better mud shedding.

these kinds of things, you can read about all day though, saddles, shoes, pedals, handlebar bends - at the end of the day, i think you just need to try some stuff and see what works for you.

berserk87
12-04-2017, 10:16 AM
I've been using Speedplay X-2's since the late 90's. Switched from Look, which gave me knee trouble.

I've got knee issues from an old injury: torn ACL, MCL, partial PCL, and patellar tendon in my right leg. Also had middle 3rd of my patellar tendon taken from my left knee to serve as an ACL graft.

Speedplay advantages: double sided entry, free float (if it's something you need/want), light weight (if you care about it), various float options per model, can rebuild or replace parts as needed.

Speedplay downside: you have to keep the pedal bearings greased regularly, cleats are not cheap (I seem to be breaking springs like it's my job lately), the cleat can be easily fouled with dirt (i.e. from standing my the road changing a flat).

FlashUNC
12-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Neither. Time.

El Chaba
12-04-2017, 10:19 AM
+1 Time.

weisan
12-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Neither. Time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcK9dSkUUAA8fv0.jpg

cmbicycles
12-04-2017, 10:50 AM
I went from Look deltas to Speedplay x-series maybe 20 years ago. I tried a pair of zeros more recently for a few rides, but didn't see a benefit to limiting the float so kept with the x series.

djg21
12-04-2017, 10:59 AM
I needed the Speedplay stomp and go for racing, and the float. They are high maintenance, but I'll never switch.

I’ve loved speedplay pedals, and in particular the easy of entry at the starts of crits. I’ve used them in the early 90s. I find that the Zero cleats don’t wear as fast as the cleats for the X series pedals.

Lately I have been considering a switch. I’m getting some numbness under metatarsals and though about going to something with a wider platform. I’d also like a pedal-based power meter, so have been thinking about the Powertap or Garmin Vector pedals. If there was a legitimate Speedplay based powermeter, I’d likely stay with Speedplay.

Keith A
12-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Several years ago I bought a set of SpeedPlay Zero's and SPD-SL's to figure out which pedal system to use on my bikes. After riding both for a while, I went for the Zeros and bought several sets to put on the bikes I ride regularly. I was happy for quite some time, until the side-to-side pedal rocking starting becoming an issue. I've went through several sets of cleats, and I finally decided to switch over to SPD-SL's. So I again purchased several sets of these pedals and removed all my Zero's

The SPD-SL's are perfectly fine pedals and I do like the fact that I can walk on these easier than the Zero's (without the cleat covers). However, I still like the Zero's better...when they aren't rocking.

unterhausen
12-04-2017, 11:31 AM
I really like speedplay on the bike, but I have had too many problems with fouling them, so I switched to SPD. I still use speedplays on my trainer. We met a guy who broke his wrist because of his road cleats, so I feel even more justified in this decision.

OldCrank
12-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Zeros on the road,
SPD on the CX and MTB.

You need to grease the Speedplays lots more often, but the (plastic) Shimano shoe cleats wear faster.

Shimano SPD-SL gently nudges your foot 'back to center' where Speedplay lets you swing freely, as much/little as you want (adjusting screws).

Both work fine.

macaroon
12-04-2017, 12:18 PM
You may aswell just buy a pair of Shimano's and try them, they cost next to nothing for the cheap ones, and they perform exactly the same as the expensive ones.

I have had R540, R550, 5800, 6600 and DA 9000 pedals and all have performed perfectly. The cleats are pretty durable aswell.

Bob Ross
12-04-2017, 01:37 PM

That's all he said.

This strikes me as an oddly incomplete recommendation from someone as revered for his comprehensive thoroughness as Dr. Pruitt:

From what I've gathered based on conversations with other bike fitters, the only time a fixed (non-floating) cleat is superior to a floating cleat for riders with joint injuries or range-of-motion issues is when the exact, precise position of the cleat is specified to explicitly accommodate that injury.

Saying "try the Shimanos" without further clarifying exactly where the cleats should go seems irresponsible. Glad they work for you; I'm just surprised that's all he said.

mastaliu
12-04-2017, 01:46 PM
I have to say something positive for the Speedplay X series full float pedals. I went from Look and Time stuff in the late 80s and early 90s and made the switch to the X pedals - it seemed like everyone was doing that in the early 90s. The switch took a bit of time to get used to, but they really corrected my knee pain (cartilage, meniscus, and MCL injuries) and I'm on the same pedals today.

Matthew
12-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Speedplay. In lots of years of riding them I have never had one issue. And I have never had a problem with the cleats either. Lasted thousands of miles for me.

Lewis Moon
12-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Love my Speedplays. On them since the early '90s.

weisan
12-04-2017, 02:12 PM
This strikes me as an oddly incomplete recommendation from someone as revered for his comprehensive thoroughness as Dr. Pruitt:

From what I've gathered based on conversations with other bike fitters, the only time a fixed (non-floating) cleat is superior to a floating cleat for riders with joint injuries or range-of-motion issues is when the exact, precise position of the cleat is specified to explicitly accommodate that injury.

Saying "try the Shimanos" without further clarifying exactly where the cleats should go seems irresponsible. Glad they work for you; I'm just surprised that's all he said.

Bob pal, that was 10 years ago. He probably explained quite a bit more than that but that's essentially what stuck with me. The fit session took quite awhile, it's not cheap, I paid out of pocket and flew in from Austin specifically just for this.
What it did for me is set me off at a good starting point and I took it from there.

I wouldn't draw any direct conclusions based on one posting on an internet forum.

oldguy00
12-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Used to use look style pedals (Look, shimano, Campag) as well as Time.
Then I went to SP Zeros about 10 years ago, been with them since. I've tried Shimanos a couple times since, and quickly went back to speedplay zeros. Love them.

kmac
12-04-2017, 02:32 PM
i used speedplays exclusively for probably the first 15 years of my road bike life. x2, zeros, light action -- loved them all. but as someone else mentioned, the cleats clog REALLY easily, and it can really put a damper on a ride. if you take your road bike places that can be muddy, snowy, etc, you'll likely find yourself hunting out a stick and sitting on the cold/wet ground so you can dig the cruft out of the cleats. and once you do, you still won't clip in (and sometimes out) very smoothly until you get home and can do a deep clean.

i switched to good ol' spd mtb pedals, and haven't really looked back. after a week in and out of them, entry/exit becomes muscle memory, and i didn't really miss the old speedplay ways. for me, being more confident that i could put a foot down if i was about to slip, and then knowing i could get it right back into the pedal was worth the ever-so-slightly more difficult entry.

Big Dan
12-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Time.

zzy
12-04-2017, 03:16 PM
I like Shimano pedals, and they cannot be beat for the $$$. Like SPDs, even the cheapest SPD-SLs work great. However, I do not buy the stability/platform argument people usually trot out in these comparisons. I've been using Speedplay Zeros for almost 12 years, using Looks before that (and SPDs for all non-road use). The entry is so much easier that I could never give that up. Living in a city means getting in and out of pedals constantly. Maintenance on SP is very easy - just get a cheapo grease gun from Harbor Fright. I do wish the spares weren't such a ripoff and the company wasn't so litigious against 3rd party bearings. That and spray the pedals and C springs with Beoshield when they get squeaky. They can be easily rebuilt, but I'd warn people that it seems like SP is now using red loctite with the screw that secures the pedal body to the spindle. I have already stripped out 1 torx bolt after easily servicing them for over a decade. Was not happy about that. I also have very large feet so being able to limit the float on the inside really helps be not clip the stays with my yeti feet. I strongly recommend cleat covers with SP - I like my Keep On Kovers, but I'd bet the new aero covers work great (can't believe it took so long for them to release them). If you're breaking C springs check that you're not overtighteneing the 4 cleat screws - the spring needs to be able to move. A dab of loctite really helps, just like it comes from the factory. They also last a LONG time compared to plastic cleats.

berserk87
12-04-2017, 03:28 PM
If you're breaking C springs check that you're not overtighteneing the 4 cleat screws - the spring needs to be able to move. A dab of loctite really helps, just like it comes from the factory. They also last a LONG time compared to plastic cleats.

Here's the thing on my recent breakages: I'm using the torque driver from Speedplay on my cleat screws, and breaking the springs more than ever. The torque seems to be in excess of what I used to do simply by feel before, without the pre-set driver.

Some of the leg strength imbalance that I have plays into it. The breakages are always on the rear spring of the left cleat. My left leg has sustained less trauma than my right, and I put out more power on the left.

I'm trying to be more conscious of clipping out very smoothly and easily. I think I'd gotten into a bad habit of pulling upward a bit when unclipping, instead of just rotating my heel laterally. Changed bowties on the pedal bodies and been working on cleaning up my technique. So far, so good (it's been about 2 months since my last breakage). For awhile I was breaking a spring every 6 weeks, which was insane.

Shortsocks
12-04-2017, 04:14 PM

+1.

I've tried Shimano, Look, Campy.....in the end I always come back to Speedplay.

Climb01742
12-05-2017, 06:37 AM
I used SP for years and was pretty happy, believing that the freedom of the float helped. But the SP platform never felt particularly stable. Switched to Shimano. The wider platform feels much more stable. As with so much in cycling, nothing is perfect, and we choose the 'compromise' that suits us best. I do miss the float a bit of SPs, but Shimano has enough float and a far more solid stable feel...for me.

tuxbailey
12-05-2017, 07:33 AM
So I used to have SP about 15 years ago. I loved the float and the ease to clip in on either side. But they just clog so easily if I ever forget to use the cover. The exposed spring/clip would seize if I step onto grass/wet gravel a few times.

I use look now and I have been quite happy about them. I assume they and the SPD-SL/Time are similar.

moonhoo
12-05-2017, 07:51 AM
I love my Speedplays. Used to use "Light Action" and now I use "Ultra Light Action." Have never unclipped accidentally. If you run clipless on your city bike it's the way to go, as the constant unclipping at lights is no longer bothersome.

And their walkable cleats are actually pretty good for what they are. You wouldn't walk all day in them but they obviate the need for cleat covers. And they do help keep gunk out.

simonov
12-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Speedplay feels great but is much less durable than Shimano, so if you're hard on gear, keep that in mind.

benadrian
08-22-2018, 12:54 PM
I figure I'd post in here rather than start a new thread.

I've always used the MTB style SPD for road biking. I was more of a casual road cyclist and commuter, and I really enjoyed walking like a regular person on a group ride.

I ended up getting a pair of Speedplay pedals thrown in with a used bike deal. I'd always been road-pedal-curious and I'm much more serious about the road riding now, so it's an obvious opportunity to give it a try.

In almost all aspects, I love it. The shoes are more comfortable. The lock-in seems more secure, and the float is very nice when sitting and spinning.

There is one issue, and that is the float when riding or climbing out of the saddle. When standing the float is so frictionless that it feels like I'm standing on ice. There have been no accidental unclipping incidents. If I'm really digging in, I don't notice it as much. It's just that moment when I get out of the saddle it feels like my feet could just slide right off and it freaks me out for a second while I consciously realize that I'm clipped in. I've lessened the float to personal taste, but no matter how much or little float, it always moves enough to sometimes freak me out.

Am I nuts? Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers!
Ben

weiwentg
08-22-2018, 01:24 PM

There is one issue, and that is the float when riding or climbing out of the saddle. When standing the float is so frictionless that it feels like I'm standing on ice. ...when I get out of the saddle it feels like my feet could just slide right off and it freaks me out for a second ...

Everyone is different, and you aren't nuts, but when I started using the X-series pedals in the early 2000s, it felt like this for a while but I got used to it quickly. I've heard it said that you don't get the ice skating feeling in the Zeroes (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2404972&postcount=3), at least not to the same extent as with the Xs. If you persist with Speedplays, I bet you'll get used to it.

That said, everyone is different, and you may not get used to it. And if you don't, that's OK, there's SPD-SL, there's Look, there's Time, there's SPD if you want to stick with MTB shoes. I suspect you may find that road pedals feel more secure in general than MTB pedals, but with every other pedal system, you have to flip the pedal over.

And, I have to say, Speedplay pedals and cleats definitely require more maintenance than SPD-SL, and you'll compromise the system longevity if you don't keep it up. There was a recent discussion about pedals in general on Cyclingtips (https://cyclingtips.com/2018/08/ct-recommends-best-road-bike-pedals/), and the maintenance thing did trip some of the Cyclingtips staff up. I will say that it's not a lot of maintenance, it's just regularly lubricating the cleats and greasing the pedals, but it is still one more set of tasks to do, and not everyone has the time and mental space. And this is OK.

In the theme of the original post, I've used Speedplay for most of my cycling career, being initially drawn in by the low weight and the two sided entry. The pedal system no longer has lower weight than the top offerings from Look and Time, as discussed in the Cyclingtips article I linked. For example, if you let your cleats wear too much, they can wear at the pedal's resin body, and that can cause the issues with your shoes rocking on the pedals. I still prefer Speedplay's two sided entry. I have tried Shimano 105 SPD-SLs, but I did still prefer the feel of Speedplays. I did not feel like the SPD-SL platform was more stable. I do admit that total running costs for Speedplays are higher than Shimano, and maintenance is more burdensome. I would be open to trying Shimanos at some point in the future.

Dave
08-22-2018, 01:27 PM
I've used the x-type for so many years, I don't notice a thing with regards to float. Some riders may need something to hold their foot in position, but I never have. I now have bionic knees with no ACL and they work just fine. Apparently I never throw anything away because I have 6 pairs, bought over many years.

mastaliu
08-22-2018, 02:02 PM
I have used speedplay x series since 1992, when I switched over from the iconic Time Equipe magnesium and matching Time Equipe white shoes with red straps. I made the switch because it seemed at the time, everyone was going to speedplays - for the weight, float, cornering, etc. I had some knee issues (probably IT band syndrome) and these went away with the speedplays. There are probably better options, but why change something that has worked for me for so long. My legs feel fine on them, and I'm ok with any potential loss of watts from all the floating around! I never found them to be a pain to maintain either.

On another note, the problem with the articles from Cyclingtips (I am a fan of their work) on shoes and pedals is that they are presenting these things as if there are real advantages from one to the other without paying attention to the ever important problem that changing pedals/shoes can come with complications in your position and comfort on the bike. These are not insurmountable problems - you can go to a fitter or fiddle with this change to get it right yourself (on the trainer), but for some people with a history of injury, these changes can be harder to deal with.

oldpotatoe
08-22-2018, 02:05 PM

Speed play Zero-
-adjustable float
-most adjustable fore-aft, left-right
-easy to service, OVH, replace small parts
-double sided-kill one pedal, buy one pedal from SP.

d_douglas
08-22-2018, 03:00 PM
I just switched from Shimano to Speedplay for the heck of it. The Shimanos worked great and I knew someone who needed pedals, so I sold him mine and planned to buy a new set of the same, then started looking into options and Speedplay came up.

I deliberated on them because they're 'weird' and I thought I wouldn't be able to figure them out, but lo and behold, they're clipless pedals, just like all the others. I spent 5 min playing with them to ensure that I knew how to unclip, then off I went and I really like them.

Both are good and I don't race, so this probably wasn't good feedback for you :)

oldguy00
08-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Speed play Zero-
-adjustable float
-most adjustable fore-aft, left-right
-easy to service, OVH, replace small parts
-double sided-kill one pedal, buy one pedal from SP.

This is still me too. I yet again (3rd time I think) tried some shimano dura ace pedals recently, for a few rides, and I just miss the free float feel of the SP. The DA pedals/cleats have float, a decent amount, but its not the same feel as speedplay, I find I almost have to try to move my foot with the DA's, whereas with the speedplays my feet just seem to move naturally as they please. I have some hip issues (CAM/FAI) which causes imbalances in my pedaling, so having the free float is even more important to me..

My only complaint about speedplays is what has been mentioned by a few folks here, they wear out faster causing them to develop 'rocking' movement. Sometimes new cleats helps, but often its the pedal body itself. At least that is my experience. So for now I just accept that I'm going to drop 100-150 on a new set of pedals/cleats once a year...

htwoopup
08-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Speedplay. Period. Won't use anything else.

Need the rotation (often improperly called float) for my odd right foot which has a pronounced outward skew at the toe and inward at the heel I guess since I first started walking.

Important thing though...I say this and use the 4 hole Lake shoes.

I love the feel of them and the lower stack that comes from them being attached more directly to the sole of the shoe.

Additional benefit is you are much less likely to kill yourself with the little walking on pavement or floors that you might do.

The Speedplay on a 3 hole shoe is as horrible to me as Shimano or anything other type of pedal. But that is just me. They just don't feel right clipped in or not.

So, Speedplay on a 4 hole Lake..or Sidi...or Bont...or any of the others made for it. ATMO.

Mark McM
08-22-2018, 03:20 PM
I also moved from Time TBT pedals to Speedplay X-series pedals in the early '90s. Like many have mentioned, when first using Speedplay pedals, I got that 'standing on ice' feeling at first, and was concerned that my feet might slide all of the place, or even clip out, when under high cadence/high power pedaling. But I quickly lost that concern after attending the my racing club's weekly point sprint training session. When winding up for the pack sprints, I found that I was concentrating too much on things like positioning, timing, and placing, and didn't even notice what my feet were doing (in terms of rotating on the pedals). And my feet never came out of the pedals, even when flailing the bike out the saddle. Since then, I haven't really be concerned about it and let my feet do what they may with Speedplay X pedals.

hoonjr
08-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Speedplay rider since the late 90's. They were the cool pedal at the time and made clipping in a breeze at the start of crits. I was terrible with maintenance so went through about 3 pairs of X2 pedals. I would tend not to change cleats quickly enough and would grind a groove in the axle. Either that got scary to look at or the bearings would freeze up from lack of maintenance. I bought some zeros and are happy with those.

I did always wonder about how the float reduced power output. Word was all the Euro pros would use Look or the Shimano version pedals with the fixed black cleat. Crap I've been riding for a long time.

delish
08-22-2018, 03:30 PM
After nearly 20 years on Speedplay X's I switched to SPD-SL pedals last year. I made the switch in part to try to find some incremental pedaling efficiency but also because of the high ongoing maintenance costs of speedplays.

Around the same time I started developing some knee pain in my right knee. I also tweaked the knee during a cx race so I'm not sure whether there is causality. What I did notice is that proper cleat position is much more critical on the SPD-SLs. The knee pain is mostly gone now that I have the cleat placement dialed, but I'm going to give speedplays another try. Ive ridden Time ATAC mtb pedals for 20 years (in 17 degree mode) and I think I just prefer having more float. That and 2-sided entry...

The free float of X's definitely takes some getting used to but in many years of riding them, including lots of crits and road races, I've never once unclipped accidentally or unexpectedly.

Mark McM
08-22-2018, 03:49 PM
I did always wonder about how the float reduced power output. Word was all the Euro pros would use Look or the Shimano version pedals with the fixed black cleat. Crap I've been riding for a long time.

There is no doubt that there is a lot personal preference in pedal selection, including the amount and type of rotational float. It may even play a role in causing or preventing injury, depending on a rider's unique physiology. But as far as power and efficiency, the affect of pedal free rotation on pedaling power or efficiency has actually been tested more than once, and no change in power or efficiency has been measured.

coreydoesntknow
08-22-2018, 03:58 PM
I was able to milk the same pair of Speedplay x-series pedals for nearly 10 years with regular maintenance and the occasional bow tie replacement. It's nice to own something that just keeps on working

htwoopup
08-22-2018, 04:25 PM
The free float of X's definitely takes some getting used to but in many years of riding them, including lots of crits and road races, I've never once unclipped accidentally or unexpectedly.

Perhaps I am not understanding what you are saying which is totally possible.

If you adjust the heel in and heel out screws to exactly what you need, I don't think it is a problem/ get used to thing.

For instance, my left shoe has the screws on the cleat tightened down so there is very little play between heel in and heel out which makes clipping out simple but also isn't like "skating" as some have referred to it. On my right shoe, I have the heel in set so it can go way in but not so far that I hit the chain stay. The heel out is set so my pinkie toe doesn't ache from being constrained by the shoe. Again, it isn't "skating" and didn't take getting used to.

But again, perhaps I don't understand what folks say about the "float" and getting used to it. Maybe it is if you leave the cleats as they come out of the box or something/ don't take advantage of the adjustability or maybe it is just me not having experienced it so I don't get what you are meaning. If that is the case, my apologies.

Mark McM
08-22-2018, 04:50 PM
Perhaps I am not understanding what you are saying which is totally possible.

If you adjust the heel in and heel out screws to exactly what you need, I don't think it is a problem/ get used to thing.

For instance, my left shoe has the screws on the cleat tightened down so there is very little play between heel in and heel out which makes clipping out simple but also isn't like "skating" as some have referred to it. On my right shoe, I have the heel in set so it can go way in but not so far that I hit the chain stay. The heel out is set so my pinkie toe doesn't ache from being constrained by the shoe. Again, it isn't "skating" and didn't take getting used to.

But again, perhaps I don't understand what folks say about the "float" and getting used to it. Maybe it is if you leave the cleats as they come out of the box or something/ don't take advantage of the adjustability or maybe it is just me not having experienced it so I don't get what you are meaning. If that is the case, my apologies.

The Heel In/Heel Out screws are only the Zero series pedals. The original X series have no float adjustment screws. The differences in mechanism change a few other characteristics as well: The X series have a larger angle of float, and also require less force to clip in. The Zero pedals also have a little more friction in their float mechanism, whereas the X series feel like the have almost no float friction - thus the "skating on ice" feeling.

htwoopup
08-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Ah, got it. I forgot about the x since I’ve been on zeros since they came out. My apologies. I hope that’s all I forgot about today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
08-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Keywin is the way to go.

Jcgill
08-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Used looks for a while, then switched to shimano and haven’t looked back.

Shimao pedals are basically the same as looks, but the function, fit and finish, and overall feel are much better with shimanos. Plus the cleats last longer.

I want to like speedplay, but having the mechanism to catch and release the pedal mounted on the bottom of my shoe seems like a full time job for maintenance in my anal mind. Plus the stack height of the cleats with the 3 to 4 hole adapter seems huge (unless you buy shoes with the 4 hole pattern)

oldpotatoe
08-23-2018, 07:39 AM
This is still me too. I yet again (3rd time I think) tried some shimano dura ace pedals recently, for a few rides, and I just miss the free float feel of the SP. The DA pedals/cleats have float, a decent amount, but its not the same feel as speedplay, I find I almost have to try to move my foot with the DA's, whereas with the speedplays my feet just seem to move naturally as they please. I have some hip issues (CAM/FAI) which causes imbalances in my pedaling, so having the free float is even more important to me..

My only complaint about speedplays is what has been mentioned by a few folks here, they wear out faster causing them to develop 'rocking' movement. Sometimes new cleats helps, but often its the pedal body itself. At least that is my experience. So for now I just accept that I'm going to drop 100-150 on a new set of pedals/cleats once a year...

Replace just the 'puck' then..no need to get new pedals. If ya wear divots in your Look/shimano pedal body..THAT means new pedals.

oldguy00
08-23-2018, 07:46 AM
Replace just the 'puck' then..no need to get new pedals. If ya wear divots in your Look/shimano pedal body..THAT means new pedals.

Yeah, but the thing with speedplay is that, US prices, the 'puck' is about $50, as are the cleats. Better off just buying a whole new set of pedals for about 140 and flipping the used ones for $40 to someone who just wants a spare set, etc.

weiwentg
08-23-2018, 08:51 AM

I have to ask, is it possible you're not maintaining the cleats enough? Speedplay says (http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zerofaqs) that you should lubricate them "as often as before each ride " ... which is both very vague (that encompasses anything from one time since you bought them to every single ride) and potentially a lot of lubricant.

oldpotatoe
08-23-2018, 08:55 AM
I have to ask, is it possible you're not maintaining the cleats enough? Speedplay says (http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zerofaqs) that you should lubricate them "as often as before each ride " ... which is both very vague (that encompasses anything from one time since you bought them to every single ride) and potentially a lot of lubricant.

I use this..about every third ride..Be careful if ya spray on cleats..they get slippery!!
Good frame cleaner/shiner/preserver also.

delish
08-23-2018, 09:08 AM
The Heel In/Heel Out screws are only the Zero series pedals. The original X series have no float adjustment screws. The differences in mechanism change a few other characteristics as well: The X series have a larger angle of float, and also require less force to clip in. The Zero pedals also have a little more friction in their float mechanism, whereas the X series feel like the have almost no float friction - thus the "skating on ice" feeling.

Yes, thanks Mark. I was referring to X-series ice float.

Speaking of ice. Another downside of Speedplays (again my experience is with X's) is that they are much more susceptible to getting jammed up with mud or ice. I've had my cleats literally freeze up on me after walking through a snow pile on a really cold day which made it darn near impossible to unclip. Same thing can happen if you're on a mixed terrain adventure and have to put a foot down in mud. These are rare events of course the simple solution is to use mtb pedals for silly adventures.

oldguy00
08-23-2018, 09:29 AM

To be honest, no. Almost all my training is indoors, so my cleats don't get dirty. But maybe I should lube them more often.

The pledge spray looks like an idea! lol. But I'd rather not have an aerosol can in my tool kit, so maybe will go with white lightening lube (I think recommended by SP?) or squirt lube, etc.

weiwentg
08-23-2018, 11:00 AM
I use this..about every third ride..Be careful if ya spray on cleats..they get slippery!!
Good frame cleaner/shiner/preserver also.

I certainly failed to lube my Xs that often. I bet this contributed to me wearing the spindle down on my ti Xs (and yes, ti wears faster than steel to begin with). I won an auction for a pair of steel Zeroes (based on feedback in the other thread), and I intend to be lubing these a lot more.