PDA

View Full Version : The $25 racer

Kontact
12-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Okay, maybe more than $25...

I have been looking around for a steel frame to put some classic parts I've had in storage now for years. The idea was something like a nicer lugged Miyata, but short people can't always be choosers. Over last weekend a Lemond Buenos Aires with a 9x3 105 group for $100 in my size came up on Craig's. I sent him an email that there would be no haggling, and picked it up Sunday morning.

By Sunday afternoon I had confirmed that all the parts worked, stripped them off and had them on CL. Monday the group was gone for $75. I kept the frame, fork, headset, the Mavic CPX-21/DB spokes/105 wheels and seat post.

Wednesday all the old stuff was sorted through and assembled, and Friday I had the tape, Campy head shift cable, spacer, etc home from the LBS and done:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697950509&stc=1&d=1512359380

I am not a huge fan of TIG'd steel, but the Lemond/Trek frames were nice geometry with 853 main triangles and 725 stays. 725 stays? Sounds like a downgrade, except that 725 is the heat treated upgrade of 525, the 531 replacement. In other words, an all 725 frame would be awesome, but 853 mains is that much more awesome. The Icon carbon fork is so skinny it looks like steel, but has a good rep. The CXP-21 wheels are pretty nice, required only a minor true and the 17 year old GP3000s have a bunch of life in them. I repacked the headset, but the hubs seem okay. Most of the mileage on this bike is wall scrapes.

I'm not hung up on getting everything 100% period correct as much as putting great old parts to good use. The composite Modolo marked levers are identical to ones Mavic had with the SSC group and feel good with the first gen Rival brakes that look the part. They stop well, but my thick hands don't love the tops. Who cares, they look awesome!

The Mavic cranks are mounted on a loose ball BB - that was something I haven't set up in awhile. I have a Mavic FD somewhere, but couldn't find it, so a Ti Red first gen FD is substituted for now. The SRAM 12-26 8 speed cassette was a problem the first time I set the Mavic stuff up, but I since found instructions for lowering the pulley cage on the 801/851 derailleurs. The shifters are marked Simplex, but are the same ones that came with the SSC Mavic group. I also had to add a 1mm spacer under the cassette to keep the RD cage from touching the spokes.

The Cinelli bars and XA stem were also mint take offs, so I used them despite being a touch short and narrow. I pushed the saddle back a little from KOPS to compensate. The Cinelli cork, white housings and black seat were an effort to avoid the Ronald McDonald color scheme the bike started with.

The bike rides great! The combination of modern ramped cassette and low mounted derailleur actually shifts fantastic. The cassette is doing all the work and the big gap to the pulley seems to just make the system more tolerant of misalignment. The shifters are great - really light touch.

The unramped 53x39 chainrings with the flexy titanium derailleur didn't shift great in the stand, but were totally reliable on the road. Overall, the weird old stuff works great with modern cassettes and chains - better than they did with '80s equivalents. And there's nothing to get out of adjustment.

I love my new kinda/sorta $25 bike.

cadence90
12-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Don't forget: Also free: One re-sized (to normal) built-bicycle photograph.

;)

ultraman6970
12-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Congrats, I never get deals like those :/

ps: Balls cutout, carbon shell and no padding :)

Kontact
12-03-2017, 10:01 PM
ps: Balls cutout, carbon shell and no padding :)

What mean that?

Cadence90, much appreciated.

cadence90
12-03-2017, 10:07 PM
What mean that?

Cadence90, much appreciated.

No problem, a pleasure...sorry I can't help with the Ultra-translation....:)

likebikes
12-03-2017, 10:19 PM
i really like those era steel lemonds. ride fantastic, and will fit 28s+ under the short reach calipers.

weisan
12-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Very nice Kontact pal.

You are short? Don't fret. Just keep a close eye on AngryScientist, he and you ride the same size.

Kontact
12-03-2017, 10:34 PM
The ride really is pleasant. It just doesn't have any particular oddities - just works. Closest bike I have to it is a Basso Ti Gap.

Those Simplex shifters really are great. Back in the day, pros would use them even on C-Record bikes - and Campy offered their own retrofriction shifters:

http://www.flahute.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Ciclismo-Campioni-Laurent-Fignon.jpg

Kontact
12-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Very nice Kontact pal.

You are short? Don't fret. Just keep a close eye on AngryScientist, he and you ride the same size.

Yep, I is short. And already blessed with five 51cm road bikes.

cachagua
12-04-2017, 01:05 AM
Nicely done! What a great rescue.

(Is Craigslist as active as that all the time? I should start looking. No, actually I must absolutely NOT look at it!)

Overall, the weird old stuff works great...

That's what all my bikes say.

sw3759
12-04-2017, 03:33 AM
pretty swanky ride for 25 bucks...looks teriffic!..725 is good stuff..mr DK himself used 725 to build my Terraplane and few bikes ride nicer than that.

oh,that's a great pic of the professor too,from his near miss in the 89 tdf tt

redir
12-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Gotta love that.

My Poprad is TIG 853 and I love it. Best feeling cross bike I ever had. The 853 is smooth.

jumphigher
12-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Beautiful bike, OP. Nice job all around. I am a big fan of TIG'd steel btw, and that frame looks killer, imo.

EDS
12-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Is it an optical illusion or is something wonky going on with the chain in the way in wraps around the chain ring in that picture?

Kontact
12-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Is it an optical illusion or is something wonky going on with the chain in the way in wraps around the chain ring in that picture?

No, it's wonky. I was about to take the picture when I realized I was in the small ring. Realizing the potential outrage this might cause, I quickly hand pedaled the chain onto the big ring - but not completely.

AngryScientist
12-04-2017, 12:40 PM
looks good to me! you done well, IMO!

tumbler
12-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Nice catch. I've always liked those bikes.

choke
12-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Nice looking bike and it's hard to beat that price. And yes, Simplex Retrofrictions are great levers.

cadence90
12-04-2017, 02:43 PM
No, it's wonky. I was about to take the picture when I realized I was in the small ring. Realizing the potential outrage this might cause, I quickly hand pedaled the chain onto the big ring - but not completely.

Doing only half the job for those prying PL eyes...what a cheap-skate!!!

:D