PDA

View Full Version : *** is wrong with people?

BobO
12-03-2017, 05:51 PM
What in the ever loving **** goes on in some people's heads!?? This dumbass in a Green Toyota Corolla was passing me doing maybe 5mph faster than me, was not yet even with my front wheel and turned into the trailer park driveway. There was a tiny little rubber chirp when his painted bumper touched my rear tire. It felt like a bike touching the wheel. Oh, and he was honking at me as he turned in as though he expected me to stop to let him turn. This was very close to being really bad. I thought about stopping, but that would have been extremely bad.

*Deleted justifiable hyperbole*

Anyway, this was a deliberate act that could have resulted in severe injury, what the hell is wrong with some people?

Seramount
12-03-2017, 06:06 PM
...turned into the trailer park driveway.

there's one clue...

joosttx
12-03-2017, 06:08 PM
What in the ever loving **** goes on in some people's heads!?? This dumbass in a Green Toyota Corolla was passing me doing maybe 5mph faster than me, was not yet even with my front wheel and turned into the trailer park driveway. There was a tiny little rubber chirp when his painted bumper touched my rear tire. It felt like a bike touching the wheel. Oh, and he was honking at me as he turned in as though he expected me to stop to let him turn. This was very close to being really bad. I thought about stopping, but that would have been extremely bad.

It would be an awful shame if he missed work tomorrow because all of his tires were slashed, and his tank had a bag of sugar in it. :mad: I know where he lives.

Anyway, this was a deliberate act that could have resulted in severe injury, what the hell is wrong with some people?

Maybe the problem is with you, dude.

BobO
12-03-2017, 06:09 PM

How so?

Cicli
12-03-2017, 06:12 PM
What in the ever loving **** goes on in some people's heads? Nothing in his head
This dumbass in a Green Toyota Corolla turned into the trailer park driveway. Exhibit 1

It would be an awful shame if he missed work tomorrow Unlikely he will, not because he wouldnt be there. More likely it wouldnt.
what the hell is wrong with some people? see all of the above.

there's one clue...
Yep.

cadence90
12-03-2017, 06:12 PM
there's one clue...
Well, that's one assumption (and a mean one at that) is more like it. :rolleyes:

Other "clues" might be the ranting, cussing, un-vented anger, etc., etc., all on full display in post #1.
Not feeling much sympathy for posts like that, sorry.

rustychisel
12-03-2017, 06:14 PM

In terms of forum etiquette that is just a disgraceful thing to say.

Yes, I'm playing the man, and on the off chance you thought that was in jest, well, have a banana... :banana:

joosttx
12-03-2017, 06:15 PM
How so?

Well, does not seem like it was that big of a deal. You probably should let it slide off and go about your day trying to be positive and make this place a better place. Instead, you are so angry that that anger has clouded your intelligence causing you to post how you plan to commit crimes on this person on the internet.

Your post is just waiting to go viral.... and when that happens the problem will be yours.

Just relax and find something positive in this world to think about.

pjbaz
12-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Wow, dude almost gets taken out and you guys think the problem is with his reaction? He rode away WITHOUT escalating.

I would have, at the VERY least, exchanged words - polite at first, then escalating in both volume and vulgarity depending on the response from the driver.

His comment about missing work (I will assume) is based on frustration and knowing he won't actually do it, but needing to vent.

BobO
12-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Well, that's one assumption (and a mean one at that) is more like it. :rolleyes:

Other "clues" might be the ranting, cussing, un-vented anger, etc., etc., all on full display in post #1.
Not feeling much sympathy for posts like that, sorry.

You don't get angry when someone commits a deliberately dangerous act against you? My anger is in no way a cause of the incident, not, at, all. My anger is the result of the incident. Now, you are well within your rights to not have any sympathy, which is fine as that wasn't the point of the post. The point was to ask a question, what goes on in people's heads that allows them to commit violent acts for no apparent reason?

Enough about the trailer park, it isn't relevant other than a location marker. Being poor does not make one an asshole and I did not imply that snobbery.

BobO
12-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Well, does not seem like it was that big of a deal.

He hit me. The post incident hyperbole is just that, but, what he did was assault.

PacNW2Ford
12-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Can someone draw me a picture? I don't understand how he is not yet even with your front wheel, and is going faster than you, he hits your rear tire...

shovelhd
12-03-2017, 06:27 PM
The driver tried to pass, backed off, honked, and clipped the rider's rear wheel. I'd be pissed. Good that there was no escalation. Leave it, count your blessings, and move on.

gasman
12-03-2017, 06:30 PM
The driver tried to pass, backed off, honked, and clipped the rider's rear wheel. I'd be pissed. Good that there was no escalation. Leave it, count your blessings, and move on.

This. Now let’s tone it down guys. I’d be angry if it happened to me also.
The OP hyperbole shouldn’t be verbalized here but I looked it as just some venting.
Let’s let it drop.

BobO
12-03-2017, 06:32 PM

That's some clarity, but, if he'd dragged the brakes and turned in 0.3 seconds later there wouldn't have been an incident at all.

BobO
12-03-2017, 06:34 PM
The OP hyperbole shouldn’t be verbalized here but I looked it as just some venting.

Venting was my intent, I apologize for doing it in a way this forum doesn't approve of.

Tickdoc
12-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Inconsiderate and some deep seated dislike for “us” in general.

Had a guy turn into my lane last week and stomp on the gas. I was not in his lane, just stopped at a stop sign waiting for him to go. Middle of nowhere. No traffic, just him being an ass.

eddief
12-03-2017, 06:44 PM
We up here 20 miles north can only hope to be as zen as those who live in Marin. Om.

Well, does not seem like it was that big of a deal. You probably should let it slide off and go about your day trying to be positive and make this place a better place. Instead, you are so angry that that anger has clouded your intelligence causing you to post how you plan to commit crimes on this person on the internet.

Your post is just waiting to go viral.... and when that happens the problem will be yours.

Just relax and find something positive in this world to think about.

adub
12-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Wow tough crowd.

simonov
12-04-2017, 04:59 AM
The point was to ask a question, what goes on in people's heads that allows them to commit violent acts for no apparent reason?

It's a combination of a strong sense of entitlement combined with a firm belief that bikes have no right to use the road, whether or not that notion is based in the actual law. The driver saw you as an obstacle, not a person, and the fact that you were slowing them down made the whole incident your fault. Many people lack basic empathy skills, that's what goes on in people's heads.

weisan
12-04-2017, 05:12 AM
This is unfortunate.

The area I ride on goes through trailer parks and rednecks driving diesel trucks.

I try to connect at some human level with all the drivers that I encountered on the rural roads by putting my hand up to say "hi" or acknowledge their presence. I don't allow cars to sneak up on me from behind. When I hear or sense them coming, I turn my head to the left a couple of times, flip my left hand up - that tells them I am alert and aware that they are coming. 99% of the time when they know that I know they are coming, they will usually swing out wide to give me more space while passing or at least wait till the opposite traffic is clear before they can do so safely instead of both cars trying to sandwich and coincide with me on the same spot thereby creating a more dangerous situation.

That has worked well for me.

Until the general public opinion and attitudes towards cyclist change, that's the defensive stance that I take while riding my bike.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2017, 06:46 AM

*Deleted justifiable hyperbole*

"There is always 10%", of anything, including drivers...idiots
Lou P once said, 'people are a__hol_s until proven differently...be careful out there.

I would have parked next to his 'house' and called the cops.

OtayBW
12-04-2017, 06:48 AM
This is unfortunate.

The area I ride on goes through trailer parks and rednecks driving diesel trucks.

I try to connect at some human level with all the drivers that I encountered on the rural roads by putting my hand up to say "hi" or acknowledge their presence. I don't allow cars to sneak up on me from behind. When I hear or sense them coming, I turn my head to the left a couple of times, flip my left hand up - that tells them I am alert and aware that they are coming. 99% of the time when they know that I know they are coming, they will usually swing out wide to give me more space while passing or at least wait till the opposite traffic is clear before they can do so safely instead of both cars trying to sandwich and coincide with me on the same spot thereby creating a more dangerous situation.

That has worked well for me.

Until the general public opinion and attitudes towards cyclist change, that's the defensive stance that I take while riding my bike.Weisan - that is definitely not my preferred way. IMO, any hand motion is likely to be perceived as some directional (or braking, or something) signal which can easily be misconstrued. Whether or not a passing or approaching driver knows that I know they know I know I'm there isn't really important to me. I'm pretty assertive when it comes to taking my place in traffic and interacting accordingly, and I am completely in for eye contact at intersections etc., and good faith gestures where appropriate, but beyond that, I generally just keep it moving forward. Just my way...

weisan
12-04-2017, 06:58 AM
I understand.

My operating principle is based on the fact that I can't control or change anybody but only what is within my control and changes that can come from within.

I can do that or I can scream from the rooftop and insist that others fall in line with my expectations.

My experience informed me that the former works better.

shovelhd
12-04-2017, 07:01 AM
I do a similar thing when riding alone. I will wave a car around once it's clear to pass, and wave as they pass me. I don't wave until they've committed because it might be construed as a signal. In a group, I've waved cars around after alerting the group but in general if I'm in a bunch I keep my hands on the bars.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Weisan - that is definitely not my preferred way. IMO, any hand motion is likely to be perceived as some directional (or braking, or something) signal which can easily be misconstrued. Whether or not a passing or approaching driver knows that I know they know I know I'm there isn't really important to me. I'm pretty assertive when it comes to taking my place in traffic and interacting accordingly, and I am completely in for eye contact at intersections etc., and good faith gestures where appropriate, but beyond that, I generally just keep it moving forward. Just my way...

Agree...AND a hand signal 'might' be construed as a 'I'm number one' signal, and make the guy angry.:)

Be assertive, be VERY defensive, don't be an ass, don't be unpredictable, know your rights but don't be 'dead right', IMHO...

weisan
12-04-2017, 07:12 AM
All I know is this has worked for me.

You can't argue with success. :D

joosttx
12-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Agree...AND a hand signal 'might' be construed as a 'I'm number one' signal, and make the guy angry.:)

Be assertive, be VERY defensive, don't be an ass, don't be unpredictable, know your rights but don't be 'dead right', IMHO...

Never thought about "the wave" being mistook as "the bird"- good point. In certain situations when a car is behind me and I have a better view of the road i I will wave the car/truck through. My wave is an slow deliberate underhand wave.

When in traffic I ride defensively. Basically, how I was trained to ride a motorcycle. It might benefit some cyclists to take a motorcycle training course.

William
12-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave. :)

William

weisan
12-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave. :)

William

And this coming from someone who can take anyone down in 0.002 sec.

https://thediplomat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/yellowjumpsuit_edited-386x217.jpg

etu
12-04-2017, 07:34 AM
I think it's only natural to get worked up in the moment. It's a biologic response with a surge of adrenaline and your natural instinct for survival kicking in. To try to repress or frown upon a physiologic response seems unrealistic. But it would be in our best interest to gather ourselves as quickly as possible and not let it escalate.
I think the value of the forum is the variety of responses you get. Yes, all of us can sympathize with the near miss and the anger it provoked. It's a constant reminder that we do need to be careful in our inherently dangerous sport. We feel you! However after the emotions die down, the most valuable comments may be the ones you may not want to hear. The kind that challenges you to reflect on the incident a bit more and from a different perspective.

unterhausen
12-04-2017, 07:45 AM
I assume there is actually something seriously wrong with the driver described in the OP. Probably engages in (at least minor) criminal activity on a regular basis. And yes, I am being serious, criminals drive. And people with impulse control are fairly likely to act rashly and without consideration of others. Maybe he's living in the trailer park because of a protection order. It's something to take into consideration when you weigh retaliation options.

William
12-04-2017, 07:46 AM
And this coming from someone who can take anyone down in 0.002 sec.

https://thediplomat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/yellowjumpsuit_edited-386x217.jpg

Well, only if they have a problem with my smile and wave...

http://giant.gfycat.com/HarmlessBlueArawana.gif

:);):)

William

Davist
12-04-2017, 07:55 AM
He hit me. The post incident hyperbole is just that, but, what he did was assault.

Assault is a verbal threat, fyi, battery is the physical part, though I'm no legal scholar. sorry about your bad experience, happens too often a version of a right hook or something.

BumbleBeeDave
12-04-2017, 08:12 AM
It's a combination of a strong sense of entitlement combined with a firm belief that bikes have no right to use the road, whether or not that notion is based in the actual law. The driver saw you as an obstacle, not a person, and the fact that you were slowing them down made the whole incident your fault. Many people lack basic empathy skills, that's what goes on in people's heads.

When you have an entire society that has an undercurrent encouraging selfishness, entitlement, refusal to take personal responsibility, and disregard for others and what used to be called "the common good," then you're going to see behavior like this. Is there really more of it totday, or do we just hear more about it because of social media, including groups like this? I can't really tell. There's really not a lot you can do about it except grow another set of eyes in the back of your head, then keep all four open every second.

Plus I try to keep in mind that every driver I see may not see me, or if they do, may well not see me as a living human being, only an obstacle that will be avoided only because it will cause them inconvenience if they hit me.

Oh, and guns. Seek out some figures on how many people carry guns in their vehicles. I've grown to believe there's a real risk that the driver you have an altercation with could very well be packing heat, and may not be afraid to use it in the heat of an argument.

I understand why some have made the decision to go over to mountain biking or other exercise where they just won't end up getting out on the road. I'm not there yet, but some days it's really tempting.

BBD

William
12-04-2017, 08:31 AM
When you have an entire society that has an undercurrent encouraging selfishness, entitlement, refusal to take personal responsibility, and disregard for others and what used to be called "the common good," then you're going to see behavior like this. Is there really more of it totday, or do we just hear more about it because of social media, including groups like this? I can't really tell. There's really not a lot you can do about it except grow another set of eyes in the back of your head, then keep all four open every second.

Plus I try to keep in mind that every driver I see may not see me, or if they do, may well not see me as a living human being, only an obstacle that will be avoided only because it will cause them inconvenience if they hit me.

Oh, and guns. Seek out some figures on how many people carry guns in their vehicles. I've grown to believe there's a real risk that the driver you have an altercation with could very well be packing heat, and may not be afraid to use it in the heat of an argument.

I understand why some have made the decision to go over to mountain biking or other exercise where they just won't end up getting out on the road. I'm not there yet, but some days it's really tempting.

BBD

Well, if you want to take it there add in knives, wrenches, hammers, saps, screw drivers, pepper spray/Mace, etc. All of which you are more likely to encounter than a gun. But, the possibility is always there for confrontations to spiral out of control. That said I think the cell phone and the vehicle it self are the weapon you are most likely to encounter.

N-E-Way, to the actual topic, I've had similar experiences over the years and I've run the gamut of getting into people's faces if I caught them to just smile and waving and going on my way. As the years have gone by I've moved more into the smile and wave category. If I didn't get hurt, count my blessings and move along. I train for the "what if's", but I'm not likely to start anything.

I'll ad, From my motorcycling days I just always assume people don't see me and ride accordingly.

William

2metalhips
12-04-2017, 09:30 AM
I basically ride solo in a rural area with a small number of vehicles but I have found riding with a rear blinky it seems that most drivers (not all) give me more space. I assume it makes them think a bit more about safety.

OtayBW
12-04-2017, 09:49 AM
FWIW - I NEVER (or very seldom...) wave a car through when he wants to pass mainly because that puts the responsibility on ME and not the driver. The only time that someone might want to wave someone through, IMO, is when line of sight has been suboptimal and s/he's been waiting. But I do not want to take that responsibility in a marginal situation; it's not my job to make that call to tell him/her when its safe. That said, if it is NOT SAFE to pass, I will generally take the lane and hold him/her back with a braking signal (they LOVE that :eek:, but that's the breaks...so to speak). Anyway, that's my thinking...

redir
12-04-2017, 09:50 AM
I assume there is actually something seriously wrong with the driver described in the OP. Probably engages in (at least minor) criminal activity on a regular basis. And yes, I am being serious, criminals drive. And people with impulse control are fairly likely to act rashly and without consideration of others. Maybe he's living in the trailer park because of a protection order. It's something to take into consideration when you weigh retaliation options.

Exactly what I was thinking too. There are all kinds of people out there with severe personality disorders, criminal intent, and just basically bad people. We read about it in the news every day.

There is a special place for people like that, it's called prison. I would have at least reported it to the police. if I had managed to get the plate tag that is. Anyway OP you handled it well. I've gotten better at it but in the past I was definitely one to fly off the handle when someone tried to kill me.

BumbleBeeDave
12-04-2017, 09:51 AM
. . . actually thinking when I'm riding, because it's reasonable to apply that to just about everybody.

I also keep in mind that I'm not 6'7"! ;)

BBD

I'll ad, From my motorcycling days I just always assume people don't see me and ride accordingly.

William

rwsaunders
12-04-2017, 10:16 AM
If it's as serious as getting hit or run off the road, just pull over, call the police and let them do their job. In the OP's case, it should be easy because you know where the driver lives.

I've had 2-3 memorable encounters over the years and in each case, I was able to get a license plate number, and the police were very helpful in locating the arsehole and issuing a warning. In one case, there were two of us as witnesses so a summons was issued and a fine for wreckless driving was levied.

Slash a tire and you risk getting sealant in your face and have you seen the price of sugar these days? I'd save the sugar for baking cookies.

pjm
12-04-2017, 10:30 AM
We all have the right to at least imagine what we’d like to do to one of these morons after they almost kill us.:cool:

Mzilliox
12-04-2017, 10:43 AM
consumerism constantly reinforcing a selfish bubble?

merlinmurph
12-04-2017, 10:47 AM
FWIW - I NEVER (or very seldom...) wave a car through when he wants to pass mainly because that puts the responsibility on ME and not the driver. The only time that someone might want to wave someone through, IMO, is when line of sight has been suboptimal and s/he's been waiting. But I do not want to take that responsibility in a marginal situation; it's not my job to make that call to tell him/her when its safe. That said, if it is NOT SAFE to pass, I will generally take the lane and hold him/her back with a braking signal (they LOVE that :eek:, but that's the breaks...so to speak). Anyway, that's my thinking...

Same here, exactly.

BobO
12-04-2017, 12:21 PM
When a driver is going to turn right in proximity to me, they usually pass, signal and I'll back off just enough to avoid collision. Or, I'll accelerate to help ease the passage. I try to make eye contact and hand signal my intent. This didn't happen in this case. Maybe it was the wind noise, but, he came up on me and I had no opportunity to do anything. I was doing close to thirty in a marked signed bike lane. In any case, there is no excuse for him turning into me, I was riding completely within the rules of the road.

The more I think about it, this may be a confused old man who's mind doesn't work right anymore. I have already spoken with a Sheriff's Deputy and given him the relevant info, he said he's going to go have a conversation with him.

Jaybee
12-04-2017, 12:42 PM
When a driver is going to turn right in proximity to me, they usually pass, signal and I'll back off just enough to avoid collision. Or, I'll accelerate to help ease the passage. I try to make eye contact and hand signal my intent. This didn't happen in this case. Maybe it was the wind noise, but, he came up on me and I had no opportunity to do anything. I was doing close to thirty in a marked signed bike lane. In any case, there is no excuse for him turning into me, I was riding completely within the rules of the road.

The more I think about it, this may be a confused old man who's mind doesn't work right anymore. I have already spoken with a Sheriff's Deputy and given him the relevant info, he said he's going to go have a conversation with him.

By the by, both of the times I've been right-hooked I was also doing well over 25. I think many drivers can't really process that a bike is moving at that speed and think they've passed you and are in the clear. They brake to turn and all of the sudden you are on them. Of course, much harder for the cyclist to maneuver/brake at these speeds as well.

This is not meant to imply that's what happened here, or to excuse the driver from their responsibility to know what exists around their vehicle at all times; just saying that a fast-moving cyclist is out of the expectation norm for most drivers.

Glad you kept it upright, be safe out there.

Kontact
12-04-2017, 01:06 PM
I'd call the police. It was a hit and run, should be worth a few hundred dollar ticket that will really cut into the driver's holiday meth purchases.

Shortsocks
12-04-2017, 01:37 PM
My operating principle is based on the fact that I can't control or change anybody but only what is within my control and changes that can come from within.

I’m convinced that Weisan is The incarnation of Buddha.

OtayBW
12-04-2017, 03:03 PM
I’m convinced that Weisan is The incarnation of Buddha.If so, then he is having a big day on Friday...

BobO
12-04-2017, 03:28 PM
By the by, both of the times I've been right-hooked I was also doing well over 25. I think many drivers can't really process that a bike is moving at that speed and think they've passed you and are in the clear. They brake to turn and all of the sudden you are on them. Of course, much harder for the cyclist to maneuver/brake at these speeds as well.

This is not meant to imply that's what happened here, or to excuse the driver from their responsibility to know what exists around their vehicle at all times; just saying that a fast-moving cyclist is out of the expectation norm for most drivers.

Glad you kept it upright, be safe out there.

Ya, I've witnessed this phenomenon many times and it's why I'll usually ease up once they've passed me. This guy never passed, he got along side and turned into me. There's little chance he didn't know I was there.