PDA

View Full Version : OT: DSLR as an I-Phone Alternative Camera Recommendations and Thoughts

pjmsj21
12-03-2017, 08:45 AM
I am researching a modestly priced, DSLR (APS-C) as an alternative to my I-Phone 8+ camera for my wife and I. The camera will be used for general use including travel and kids/pets. The camera wont be used on a bike.

Assumptions (but certainly open to contrary thoughts):

* The I-Phone will be the "always with me camera" and thus I am not looking for something that will fit in my pocket.
* The DSLR APS-C will provide a slightly better image than 4/3 although not very noticeable.
* The size difference between the APS-C and 4/3 camera with a similar sized zoom is not all that great as neither will fit in your pocket (pants or jacket).
* I really appreciate having a nice viewfinder as opposed to taking photos from screen.

I would like to keep the cost in the $500-800 range. I have been looking at and handling the Nikon D3400 which appears to be a lot of camera for the dollar.

So fellow forum photographers....your thoughts and recommendations and as always TIA.

bjf
12-03-2017, 08:57 AM
I think the D3400 is an excellent choice, and you can get top-level image quality if you pair it with a better lens than the kit lens that comes with it. You might want to look at used from KEH for the lens -- I'd suggest the 18-140for general use. Comes out a little above budget, but well worth it.

pjbaz
12-03-2017, 09:52 AM
The camera is ONLY a box, the lens is what makes it happen. Buy fast glass and you'll be very pleased with what you can achieve. of course, fast glass means lots of loot so there will always be a trade off.

I currently shoot Canon, and love the crop sensor "semi-pro" models, and have used them for years, even when I was a working photojournalist. Currently, I have the 7D MII in solid use. I've used or owned a lot of cameras, both digital and film: Minolta 7000, 7000i, Nikon F3, F5, N90s, N8008s, FM2, Canon EOS-1n, 1D, 1D MII, 20D, 30D, 7D, 7D MII, etc. and that doesn't mention all the kit cameras (the Nikon 3200, 3300, 3400,etc. I've set up for coworkers) and grabbed in a pinch.

Nowadays, I think you need to consider the video aspect. Are you planning to shoot any video with your DSLR? If so, you would be wise to find a body that allows an external mic, and has headphones out so you can monitor your tracks.

After that, it's aesthetics and ergonomics. If it doesn't feel good in your hand you won't use it as much. If the button layout sucks you won't be able to access certain features easily and you won't want to use it as much.

So difficult to recommend a camera for any specific person as we're all so different lol

pjbaz
12-03-2017, 09:54 AM
I think the D3400 is an excellent choice, and you can get top-level image quality if you pair it with a better lens than the kit lens that comes with it. You might want to look at used from KEH for the lens -- I'd suggest the 18-140for general use. Comes out a little above budget, but well worth it.

That's a great length on a crop sensor camera, but beware the aperture shifts at longer lengths.

tuxbailey
12-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Have you considered the mirrorless cameras? My coworker has an older A5000 and he likes it a lot. It has the crop sensor and smaller footprint than a DSLR. I can imagine the latest version (A6500) is much better.

ceolwulf
12-03-2017, 06:12 PM
I would go mirrorless every time. A nice used Fuji X-E2 and 18-55 combo is a lot of camera for the dollar. Add a 27mm f/2.8 "pancake" if you want to slip it into a handlebar bag.

pjbaz
12-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Have you considered the mirrorless cameras? My coworker has an older A5000 and he likes it a lot. It has the crop sensor and smaller footprint than a DSLR. I can imagine the latest version (A6500) is much better.

THIS is also good advice! The 6500 is on my list of wants, but I'm still not enamored with the lens choices.

ceolwulf
12-03-2017, 07:02 PM
The 6500 is on my list of wants, but I'm still not enamored with the lens choices.

I thought about this a lot and ended up with Fuji for this exact reason.

Pastashop
12-03-2017, 07:09 PM
I’m an amateur photographer, doing a mix of art / family / portraiture nowadays. People have asked me to do small “gigs”, etc. for which I just have no time. :-) I’ve run through a bunch of DSLR, Leica, TLR, etc, film and digital. I still shoot film.

Mirrorless, consider Fuji - almost anything that fits your budget will give high quality... XT1 or 2 is phenomenal, even XT 20 is great.

Sony NEX series (or a5xxx, a6xxx, etc.) are good performers.

If have to have a dslr, Nikon d3xxx, d5xxx, d7xxx are great, anything equivalent from Canon or Pentax will work equally well. Canon SL1 with a pancake lens is VERY compact.

I’ll be a contrarian in the sense that if you want the greatest images with the least fuss and the lowest long-term cash outlay, buy up. So, if you get a Fuji XT2 with a good 24 or 35 mm, or a Sony 6500 with the Zeiss 24 mm, you’re gonna love those photos. It’ll cost you $2k now, but it’s a system that may well last you 5-10 years, and then you can upgrade the body if that goes south. But you will want for nothing in terms of satisfaction with the pictures.

If 2k is too much of a commitment right now, seriously consider Panasonic LX100.

(Oh, note about sensor size and depth of field: I know it’s a typical desire to increase sensor size to get that professional look with lots of background blur... Its in the newer iPhones, too! Well, I think it’s mostly a crutch for poor composition skills, but also more of a problem in many amateur photos, of not actually having enough depth of field for the scene / subject. I would only recommend a full frame with reservation, aps-c at most, and 4/3 might be a sweet spot for most situations.)

(Also, for beginners I recommend a couple of books: The Eye of a Photographer, and What Makes a Good Photograph. I’ve a bunch of other photo books, too, but those tend to get beginners in a good direction.)

parris
12-03-2017, 08:09 PM
There's so many good options that it can get confusing. But right now looks to be a really good time to make a purchase. B&H as well as Adorama and I'm sure several other sources are having some really great sales right now. If you and your wife have a big box store close by it may be a good idea to stop and handle a few different cameras. I have a lower priced Canon and although its a nice camera it just doesn't fit my hand or balance as well as some of the other cameras I've handled. This isn't a knock against Canon in the least just that like so many things that we use the way these things fit and operate make a difference.

I still use my Canon camera at times but for how it fit my hands and uses I've gone to micro 4/3 for the simple reason that it has what I want in a system. You stated that you're leaning toward an aps size sensor but if the 4/3 systems are of any interest Olympus has some good revolving sales on their site. Panasonic may as well but I haven't looked.

An advantage to the Olympus cameras is very good in body stabilization. The Panasonic cameras are known for very good video. In the end though it really comes down to what is good and enjoyable for you and your family. Good luck!

avalonracing
12-03-2017, 08:51 PM
I would go mirrorless every time. A nice used Fuji X-E2 and 18-55 combo is a lot of camera for the dollar. Add a 27mm f/2.8 "pancake" if you want to slip it into a handlebar bag.

Agreed. No need to go SLR if you are going APS-C. Hell, I have some nice full-frame Canon equipment that I don't use anymore now that I have the Fuji X system.

mhespenheide
12-03-2017, 11:25 PM
The camera is ONLY a box, the lens is what makes it happen. Buy fast glass and you'll be very pleased with what you can achieve.

That was great advice for film cameras ("The body is only a light-tight box") but no longer really true with digital. There are distinct differences between the sensors from different companies and also between different generations of sensor technology.

Personally, I shoot the Sony a7r2 for landscape work, but there are plusses and minuses to just about every system. Fuji is probably the company with the hottest buzz amongst photographers at the moment, garnering a lot of interest beyond their market share after a series of great cameras and lenses.

gomango
12-04-2017, 04:54 AM
We picked up a Nikon d3400 package for our trip to Alaska last summer.

Super easy to use and we loved the results.

Correctly priced as well.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4375/35744205504_0de9d3f313_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WsAoZf)DSC_0238 (https://flic.kr/p/WsAoZf) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

oldpotatoe
12-04-2017, 06:59 AM
I am researching a modestly priced, DSLR (APS-C) as an alternative to my I-Phone 8+ camera for my wife and I. The camera will be used for general use including travel and kids/pets. The camera wont be used on a bike.

Assumptions (but certainly open to contrary thoughts):

* The I-Phone will be the "always with me camera" and thus I am not looking for something that will fit in my pocket.
* The DSLR APS-C will provide a slightly better image than 4/3 although not very noticeable.
* The size difference between the APS-C and 4/3 camera with a similar sized zoom is not all that great as neither will fit in your pocket (pants or jacket).
* I really appreciate having a nice viewfinder as opposed to taking photos from screen.

I would like to keep the cost in the $500-800 range. I have been looking at and handling the Nikon D3400 which appears to be a lot of camera for the dollar.

So fellow forum photographers....your thoughts and recommendations and as always TIA.

Have a Canon G12 I'll send to ya for $100.....:)

pjbaz
12-04-2017, 08:48 AM
That was great advice for film cameras ("The body is only a light-tight box") but no longer really true with digital. There are distinct differences between the sensors from different companies and also between different generations of sensor technology.

Personally, I shoot the Sony a7r2 for landscape work, but there are plusses and minuses to just about every system. Fuji is probably the company with the hottest buzz amongst photographers at the moment, garnering a lot of interest beyond their market share after a series of great cameras and lenses.

And most people don't come close to using near the potential of their cameras, regardless of sensor. I agree there are substantial differences between sensors, but I can pull up images from 1999 and 99% won't have a clue. Anything he buys today will be great.

Fuji is generating a lot of buzz, but that's what a good product and great marketing will do. They're spending the loot, as well. This year at PhotoPlus they had Nikon's usual huge space and had a massive display.

pjmsj21
12-04-2017, 04:30 PM
OP here again....and thanks for all of your advice. I went to our local camera store and tried the Nikon D3400 with both the kit and the telephoto zoom, the Canon equivalent, the Olympus OM-D EM-10II and the Sony A6000.

I have to say that I was seduced by the size, weight and handling of the Sony, even though I went in thinking that I would not like it. What really impressed me was the size and handling of the telephoto zoom (cant recall the actual focal lengths) and the very bright viewfinder. The controls are likely more difficult to work through using the various menus, but it is of a size and weight that would make it an ideal travel camera, even backpacking with just the kit lens.

pjbaz
12-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Congrats!

The Sony a6xxx line was mentioned previously, and it's one I want to pick up myself. I'm sure you'll love it.

:banana:

mhespenheide
12-04-2017, 11:26 PM
OP here again....and thanks for all of your advice. I went to our local camera store and tried the Nikon D3400 with both the kit and the telephoto zoom, the Canon equivalent, the Olympus OM-D EM-10II and the Sony A6000.

I have to say that I was seduced by the size, weight and handling of the Sony, even though I went in thinking that I would not like it. What really impressed me was the size and handling of the telephoto zoom (cant recall the actual focal lengths) and the very bright viewfinder. The controls are likely more difficult to work through using the various menus, but it is of a size and weight that would make it an ideal travel camera, even backpacking with just the kit lens.

Nice!

A lot of reviewers with rag on the Sony for a difficult menu system, but as someone who own a Sony a7r2, I rarely use the menus after setting it up with the custom buttons of my preference. The only real drawback is in battery usage (particularly for backpacking).

Now stop worrying about it and go shoot!

pjmsj21
12-04-2017, 11:50 PM
OP here...I haven’t purchased as I am debating whether to purchase the camera with the kit lens only or add the telephoto zoom for an additional $200?

jwalther
12-05-2017, 06:13 AM
OP here...I haven’t purchased as I am debating whether to purchase the camera with the kit lens only or add the telephoto zoom for an additional $200?

I assume you're talking about the A6000 kit plus extra lens. . .just bought that exact setup for my son's xmas (and birthday) gift. He did a ton of research and the camera came recommended by my local camera shop. Can't give you any real world feedback obviously, but it seems to present excellent value for money.

pbarry
12-12-2017, 08:54 AM
If you dont need 4k video, this is a great camera for the price. Best kit lens out there.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

eddief
12-12-2017, 09:38 AM
model?

If you dont need 4k video, this is a great camera for the price. Best kit lens out there.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

tuxbailey
12-12-2017, 09:56 AM
model?

it is in the title of the post. Fuji X-T1 with 18-55mm lens.

pbarry
12-12-2017, 10:12 AM
BTW, the deal lasts until midnight EST today, but these usually sell out early. The battery grip is worth adding for an additional $50: You will need another Fujifilm or Watson battery for it. To get the grip deal, add the grip to cart on the first pop up page, before going to "Item details".

eddief
12-12-2017, 10:23 AM
duh dumb
it is in the title of the post. Fuji X-T1 with 18-55mm lens.