PDA

View Full Version : Another milestone: BB went to the Great Beyond during the ride last night

Tom
09-23-2006, 06:52 AM
On a whim I took the CSI out last night because it's been a while. Lubed it up, looked it over, everything seemed fine. Off I went. About 10 miles into the ride I start getting odd clicks in the pedaling, I attributed it to a dry pedal spindle or a bad chain link. I amused myself trying to decide which. Then it progressed to a protesting squeal now and then after about another ten miles. This, I thought, wasn't good. My money was on the pedal spindle. Then it all quieted down. I decided it was the spindle.

I did notice the rings were going side to side pretty good and when I got home I looked it over again. When I took the chain off the rings and rotated the cranks, it became clear. The BB spins easily but you can hear and feel the grind every half rotation.

I'm surprised I didn't notice it earlier, but maybe what it took was not riding that bike for a while. It sure died fast when it finally went. I hope I didn't screw anything else up by riding it.

And that, folks, is today's idiot rookie post. Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment in the "I have nothing to say and I am going to impose it on you anyway" saga.

saab2000
09-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment in the "I have nothing to say and I am going to impose it on you anyway" saga.

I do that all the time.

What kind of BB was it?

Tom
09-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Chorus with about 11-12000 miles on it.