PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Serotta Fierte Steel

Frankp
09-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi folks, I'm looking for some opinions regarding a 2006 Serotta Fierte steel bicycle. I have been test riding one at my LBS recently and I really am impressed. I especially like the carbon forks on the front and back...it sure smooths out the road buzz. I'm looking for a new bike for a wide range of uses from triathlons to long distance brevets and I have been close to buying a Trek Pilot 5.0 recently... until I saw this Serotta. The prices are almost exactly the same. I realize that ultimately it comes down to personal preference but there is also issues such as quality of craftmanship. Given that the prices are not an issue, any opinions regarding the relative value between these bikes? thanks Frank

dave thompson
09-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Welcome Frank and please sit down. You came to the right place.

Louis
09-23-2006, 12:20 AM
I know nothing about the Fierte, but I'll second Dave's welcome.

At which of Indiana's illustrious universities do you teach? I went to grad school (Aeronautics, '86) on banks of the mighty Wabash...

Louis

cydewaze
09-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi Frank,

As I mentioned on the other forum, my wife loves her Fierte.

Here are a couple of threads pertaining to it.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18470

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18520

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20889

swalburn
09-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Fierte

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Fierte Ti, and I really really really like it. I can find nothing wrong with it at all. I love to look at bikes like the new Orca or the Colnago's, but everytime I ride my fierte it makes me smile. I had a specialized allez pro, which was an amazing bike, but I like the fierte much better. The main reason is it fits perfectly, and it so stable it as if it was on rails. Sometimes I look at bikes with racier geometries and think that is what I want, but after every ride on the fierte I put that thought on the back burner. FYI I'm 208 lbs and I notice no frame flexing when I hammer. That is the part I really like about the bike. It is stable, comfortable, relatively stiff and pretty light. I would describe it as the perfect all rounder. You could buy stiffer or lighter or more comfortable, but the Fierte really combines those elements into one great frame.

dekindy
09-23-2006, 08:46 AM
The difference between the 2005 and the 2006, besides the paint scheme, is the back seat stay is steel. I test rode the Trek Pilot 5.0 and Giant OCR C2. I like the "feel of steel" which is what I have always ridden. Trek and Giant carbon may absorb bumps better. Testing with the Giant and Trek was only in the parking lot. I rode a high end Cannondale Synapse carbon with full DuraAce on the road and was not impressed.

The Fierte was all Ultegra. I rode a Giant OCR C2 with a non-Ultegra front chain ring. Even the slightest pressure on the pedals kept it from shifting. I got an all-Ultegra build for $1,900. That cinched the deal. I was hesitant because I was not absolutely sure about the Fierte. I buy bikes infrequently and intend to ride it until the frame fails. After riding some 30 mile training rides and my first century, I have no regrets and would definitely buy it again.

Frank Radaker at BGI does an excellent job of fitting, he is Serotta trained and also has lots of experience. He fit me on my Paramount earlier this summer and I just had to say that Frank had fit me and to have him set up the new bike. It fits perfectly. What a great feeling.

My other bike is a 1989 Schwinn Paramount. Are you looking at Bicycle Garage Indy North? Do you ride any of the CIBA rides? I live in Fishers. Maybe I will see you on a ride. My Fierte is Arancio Orange.

Marcusaurelius
09-23-2006, 09:49 AM
The only real criticism I have of the Fierte is the stock compact geometry I just don't like it. It just looks odd and having to put a 350mm seatpost on a road bike just doesn't look right.

The Coeur D'Acier is not a lot more and comes with custom sizing.

Chad Engle
09-23-2006, 10:33 AM
The Coeur D'Acier is not a lot more and comes with custom sizing.

+1

Climb01742
09-23-2006, 10:46 AM
if a bike's soul matters to you, serottas have soul. a trek pilot doesn't. which doesn't make the trek a bad bike, just a different one. if soul and mojo figure into your choice, i'd go serotta.

Ken Robb
09-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I rode a fierte steel demo this year and was very impressed with the whole experience. I have lots of nice bikes including a Legend so my frame of reference is pretty good. I haven't ridden the other bike you mentioned. If you decided to trade bikes later I think you will recoup more of your initial outlay with the Fierte than the other bike.

davids
09-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I don't have any experience with the steel Fierte, but...

When I was shopping for my most recent bike, I rode a Ti Fierte back-to-back with the top-of-the-line carbon frames from Cannondale, Trek, Orbea, and Specialized. I liked the Fierte much, much more than any of them.

It ended up being a close decision between by Nove and the Ti Fierte, based more on the character of the ride than anything else. I'd be surprised if the steel Fierte had even the slightest bit less quality than any other bike in Serotta's line. If the standard geo works for you (and it works for most people), you will love it. I'd say the steel Fierte is a Serotta through and through, and the best value in their line.

shoe
09-25-2006, 12:14 AM
i own a fierte and just built it back up after giving it some time off and enjoy the feel of the bike...there is something to be said for a bike that is made by hand with integrity...good luck in you decision...dave