PDA

View Full Version : what happened to our Dirty Little Secret

pmj
04-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Now anyone who owns a CHT or CST knows that mountain bikes are not what Serotta are best known for, but I'm sure most CHT/CST owners love there dream machines as much as any road warrior.

So why exactly has Serotta's dirty little secret, as they used to call it, disppeared off the website, or at least become impossible to navigate to unless you happen to know the underlying layout of Serotta's website. If Serotta are so ashamed of the flurtation with those 'not of the road' why bother.

Buying any kind of bike at the price these machines cost, has almost as much to do with brand loyalty as it does technical specification. So why are we mountain bikers treated with such contempt as to not even get 1 page on a website, and dare I say a nice picture of the bike, instead of some pathetic picture of a frame hanging in mid air.

JohnS
04-20-2004, 02:05 PM
I fail to understand your ire. If you click on "Models", there is a statement saying that they have suspended production of all cantilever or disc brake bikes. What do you want them to do? Why advertise what you don't make anymore?

Serotta PETE
04-20-2004, 02:19 PM
John S was correct - at one point it was on web site

Serotta PETE
04-20-2004, 02:23 PM
from web page Serotta.com

Due to the combination of a particularly high demand for our road frames and a continued slide in orders for our cross and mountain frames, we are temporarily suspending production on those models in order that all of our resources (inventory, purchasing and manufacturing) are applied where the greatest demand is. Our goal is to make the most people possible happy while disappointing the fewest.

This suspension applies to all models utilizing cantilever style brake mounts (MTB, Cross, Touring) and/or disc-style dropouts. While this suspension takes effect immediately, it does not affect any orders currently in process.

We are well aware that this decision will disappoint some of our loyal customers- a fact that we sincerely regret. Serotta customer loyalty is one of our greatest assets. On the other hand, it is largely out of respect for our customers that this decision has been reached.

Re-introducing these models into production while almost certain, is not on a high priority time schedule. Rather, they will once again be available only when we are ready to provide these products in a level of quality and timely fashion that each of our products deserves and on which our reputation stands.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Please feel free to contact either Amy Austin (amya@serotta.com) or myself (bens@serotta.com) should have any questions or concerns regarding this matter.

-Ben Serotta

Sandy
04-20-2004, 02:25 PM
I am really getting confused here, even more so than usual. I thought that Serotta's Dirty Little Secret is that Calfee Kevan is not only allowed to participate on the forum, but that some of you even like reading his posts.

Kevan's Best Bud,

Rosebud Sandy