PDA

View Full Version : What's more exciting, Campy Ultra-torque or Sram shifting?

toaster
09-22-2006, 09:36 PM
I guess both new '07 groups are available or at least really soon. What floats your boat more the newer path chosen by Campagnolo of creating a great crankset or the SRAM group and it's innovative shifting mechanism?

coylifut
09-22-2006, 11:05 PM
they're both a yawner for me. I'm waiting for electronic or should I say, I'm still waiting for electronic.

shinomaster
09-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Really? Are your fingers that lazy?

toaster
09-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Electronic!

Gawd, you know how many devices in my life that require batteries?

Give me a screwdriver or an allen key and I'll make it shift, but to go and have to purchase a frickin' battery to make it work again!? Kill me.

saab2000
09-23-2006, 01:17 AM
Sram

Electronic if for Multi-Use trails and the parking lot "rumor and lie" period before the Tuesday Night Weltmeisterschaft.

stevep
09-23-2006, 05:56 AM
i have a vision of coylifut riding along approaching a large climb and trying to figure out how to get the bike into a lower gear with his new electric shifting... the 320 page electronic owners manual is out and every time he does anythign the thing drops a cog in the back....
" no! it says push here... bah..."

terrytnt
09-23-2006, 06:54 AM
With limited knowledge about the new Sram shifting (as a caveat), I think my first move (since I have Record) is to upgrade this winter to the Ultra-torque crank/BB.

manet
09-23-2006, 07:28 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.op.net/~jaw.alt/img/paintcam.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.op.net/~jaw.alt/paintdry.html&h=256&w=256&sz=2&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=hSVxTigCYzy8VM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpaint%2Bdrying%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

1centaur
09-23-2006, 07:47 AM
My goal on the next one is the new Campy crank with SRAM everything else. Nobody knows if it will be flawless as a drivetrain mix, but nobody's come up with any theories why it would not be. If it works, best of both new worlds.

coylifut
09-23-2006, 08:47 AM
go ahead, make fun of me, but when Boeing to comes out with their "fly by wire" gruppo you guys will be the first adopters.

saab2000
09-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Boeing's 777 is Fly-By-Wire.

I fly a fly-by-cable-and-hydraulic....

I can imagine a future bike with a mix of the best of all things and a SRAM shifting setup, but nothing else. I don't really like the look of their brakes or crank. But the shifters seem pretty slick.

Marcusaurelius
09-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Well it wouldn't be the new campagnolo crank which I think it's a bit ugly. I remember there were many critics of shimano's new (old) integrated crankset but I don't think the campagnolo version wins any prizes. The non integrated record alloy crankset is of course one of the nicest looking cranks made but lacks just a little in the performance department.

Sram doesn't nothing for me since I doubt they will make their shifters as easy to rebuild as campagnolo.

Jeff N.
09-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm a DA loyalist myself, but about everyone I know who's using Campy says they'll upgrade to the new Record crankset at the very least. I'm anxious to see what the price tag will be for this little tidbit.
Along with a new crankset, Campy needed to do something about those stubby little brake hoods. Doesn't appear they did though, at least not for '07. Jeff N.

Grant McLean
09-24-2006, 12:19 PM
The non integrated record alloy crankset is of course one of the nicest looking cranks made but lacks just a little in the performance department.

ya, those campy alu cranks suck. :rolleyes:

http://www.math.ethz.ch/~hjfurrer/cycling/TdS2005/large/PaoloBettini.JPG

http://www.sondagsavisen.dk/NR/rdonlyres/96F135DD-F79E-4394-B9AE-95208B3EB7EF/0/74X01KZY.PNG

g

Avispa
09-24-2006, 12:21 PM
....Along with a new crankset, Campy needed to do something about those stubby little brake hoods. Doesn't appear they did though, at least not for '07. Jeff N.

And what's wrong with those? The same that was wrong with square taper, I guess?

I have average size man's hands and I like the smaller (than Shimano) hoods on Campy. I think those huge Shimano hoods just force one to ride on them all the time! Not to mention the freaking antenas coming out of them... if you like to be on the hoods 90% of the time, fine. But those of us that don't... forget them!

Cheers bro! ;)

Bill Bove
09-24-2006, 12:37 PM
And what's wrong with those? The same that was wrong with square taper, I guess?

I have average size man's hands and I like the smaller (than Shimano) hoods on Campy. I think those huge Shimano hoods just force one to ride on them all the time! Not to mention the freaking antenas coming out of them... if you like to be on the hoods 90% of the time, fine. But those of us that don't... forget them!

Cheers bro! ;)
Agreed plus one! Shimano's levers work great but they look like something you'd run away from in a black and white horror movie. I hope SRAM's stuff really takes off just so those Shimano monsters won't be chasing me around so much!

bshell
09-24-2006, 01:10 PM
++1 love my stubby ergo levers. i think the shimano group works great, but to me, the levers/cranks are unpleasant to look at.

p.s. grant, it is clear that you are quite knowledgeable and i enjoy your contributions. you frequently write what i'm thinking but am too lazy to post. we're on a similar wavelength. i have a hard time enjoying my rides on those substandard aluminum cranks, too.

stevep
09-24-2006, 01:15 PM
ya, those campy alu cranks suck. :rolleyes:

http://www.math.ethz.ch/~hjfurrer/cycling/TdS2005/large/PaoloBettini.JPG

http://www.sondagsavisen.dk/NR/rdonlyres/96F135DD-F79E-4394-B9AE-95208B3EB7EF/0/74X01KZY.PNG

g

why are the 2 top quickstep riders on the old alloy cranks, anyway?
what is wrong with the carbon? never mind the new set-up.
anyone really know why?
i can see boonen..he is a 1500+ watt guy. alu crank is probably stiffer.
bettini surely is not. why him?
cees might know.

obtuse
09-24-2006, 01:23 PM
anyone really know why?
cees might know.

boonen uses them because he uses 180mm or 177,5mm cranks depending on the event. campy only makes carbon cranks up to 175.

bettini is using aluminum cranks because he's on a time trial bike and who the hell cares what paolo bettini uses on his time trial bike; he's still doing to come in 89th place out of 100 riders. sometimes bettini just rides a road bike for a time trial too.

obtuse

Grant McLean
09-24-2006, 03:54 PM
p.s. grant, it is clear that you are quite knowledgeable and i enjoy your contributions. you frequently write what i'm thinking but am too lazy to post. we're on a similar wavelength. i have a hard time enjoying my rides on those substandard aluminum cranks, too.

:) :)

g

(too lazy to post anything witty, smiley faces are easier...)

Grant McLean
09-24-2006, 04:04 PM
anyone really know why?
cees might know.

Why do some pro's ride anything in specific?

a) it's all the same shet, makes no difference
b) 6.8kg
c) their sponsor made them
d) they have a particular preference for somthing old/odd
e) their dog ate the other bike after taking their dope
f) to fuel internet forum conspiracy theories

any and all of the above...

g

stevep
09-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Why do some pro's ride anything in specific?

a) it's all the same shet, makes no difference
b) 6.8kg
c) their sponsor made them
d) they have a particular preference for somthing old/odd
e) their dog ate the other bike after taking their dope
f) to fuel internet forum conspiracy theories

any and all of the above...

g

yeah grant, but.
these are 2 of the best riders in the world. surely they should be on the latest, best equipment made by a key sponsor. i buy 25% of the jerks theory, although campy could easily make a 177 or a 180 carbon crank for this showcase rider if he wanted it....
and no argument that it makes a difference...
seems odd to me. that these 2 are using obsolete stuff.
they have to have issues w/ the carbon crank and why they are not using the new crank is anyones guess.

Grant McLean
09-24-2006, 06:39 PM
yeah grant, but.
these are 2 of the best riders in the world. surely they should be on the latest, best equipment made by a key sponsor. i buy 25% of the jerks theory, although campy could easily make a 177 or a 180 carbon crank for this showcase rider if he wanted it....
and no argument that it makes a difference...
seems odd to me. that these 2 are using obsolete stuff.
they have to have issues w/ the carbon crank and why they are not using the new crank is anyones guess.

Don't get me wrong... it's odd.

The number of things I read about how Boonen is too heavy for carbon,
or all the other speculation has to out weigh the cost of just making sure
that all the teams are on current stuff just for marketing reasons.

g

Avispa
09-24-2006, 11:09 PM
So, There!!! In case you're still wondering:

boonen uses them because he uses 180mm or 177,5mm cranks depending on the event. campy only makes carbon cranks up to 175.

bettini is using aluminum cranks because he's on a time trial bike and who the hell cares what paolo bettini uses on his time trial bike; he's still doing to come in 89th place out of 100 riders. sometimes bettini just rides a road bike for a time trial too.

Simon Q
09-25-2006, 12:27 AM
I think the new Campy cranks are still by some margin better looking than DA or SRAM (Truvativ). In fact everything Campy looks great. Italians know how to make things functional and look sexy, if that's a way decribe an inanimate object.

Always a good way to get a thread going - a debate of groupsets!

Too Tall
09-25-2006, 06:34 AM
1Centaur - Spam...I mean Sram fr. der. has no trim for the big ring. All that means is you need to set the thing up properly...pay attention to specs. it will be great paired with any 10spd crank and correct chainline. You are asking about shifting so I'm just sayin'.

1centaur
09-25-2006, 07:34 AM
TT - My LBS is using the new SRAM stuff for 'cross so I expect them to be up to speed on set-up issues. My impression from reading between the lines is that whether the crank/rings are SRAM or anybody else, very correct set-up is needed to enjoy the no-trim reality, but that such correctness is not particularly difficult. If it were, we would be hearing more reports of the need for trim from early riders. Further, SRAM's slowness with compact (and in fact all) cranksets should have led them to tell people to wait on the gruppo if they thought others' compacts would be an issue, but they have not said that.

At least, that's the story I am telling myself.

Frustration
09-25-2006, 09:04 AM

There's only one new Group on the market. :no: