PDA

View Full Version : DIY Campy Power Torque Crank Puller

brewsmith
11-30-2017, 05:31 PM
A few of my recent builds have used Campagnolo Power Torque cranks which were previously unknown to me. I like to do my own maintainenece both for principal and peace of mind, and being my frugal self, I didn't want to shell out $80+ dollars for the Park Tool puller. A quick $15 trip to Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/tie-rod-and-pitman-arm-puller-62708.html

A few minutes with a grinder and a 15mm hex socket (fits perfectly inside the spindle and self-centers w/o blocking the spline interface) and we're in business.

https://s18.postimg.org/bvnn9tzdl/IMG_20171130_143521214.jpg

I have successfully removed three cranks with ease using this tool. For the carbon arms I used some cardstock to protect the arms and there were no issues whatsoever.

It certainly isn't my prettiest work by any stretch as I was going for speed over style, but I had a hard time finding anything online when I was searching for solutions, so I figured it might be helpful to others out there. Cheers!

nesteel
11-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Excellent. Nice work-a-round. Maybe create a bit more clearance, and then Plastidip the ends? Removes the need for cardstock on the carbon units.

dddd
11-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Good to know!

I believe that PowerTorque Plus includes self-extractor in the left arm.

ultraman6970
11-30-2017, 09:01 PM
potenza powertorque has self extracting bold, the other groups not.

Thanks a lot for sharing, that is just genius!!!!

Did you glue the socket or just hammer it in after using the grinder in the bolt?

brewsmith
12-01-2017, 12:16 AM
potenza powertorque has self extracting bold, the other groups not.

Thanks a lot for sharing, that is just genius!!!!

Did you glue the socket or just hammer it in after using the grinder in the bolt?

The beauty of it is the 15mm socket goes right back in the case, it isn't sacrificial.

It may differ depending on your socket set, but I have a cheap Huskey brand set from Lowes. I used the 3/8" drive 15mm socket with the hex end facing the puller bolt and the 3/8" drive side centering the socket on the crank shaft.

As @nesteel says, the next refinements are a bit more dremel work and a plasti-dip finish for a legit home shop tool on a budget

oldpotatoe
12-01-2017, 07:01 AM
A few of my recent builds have used Campagnolo Power Torque cranks which were previously unknown to me. I like to do my own maintainenece both for principal and peace of mind, and being my frugal self, I didn't want to shell out $80+ dollars for the Park Tool puller. A quick $15 trip to Harbor Freight:

A few minutes with a grinder and a 15mm hex socket (fits perfectly inside the spindle and self-centers w/o blocking the spline interface) and we're in business.

I have successfully removed three cranks with ease using this tool. For the carbon arms I used some cardstock to protect the arms and there were no issues whatsoever.

It certainly isn't my prettiest work by any stretch as I was going for speed over style, but I had a hard time finding anything online when I was searching for solutions, so I figured it might be helpful to others out there. Cheers!

Well done!! I kinda did the same thing with a cheapo crank puller, some grinding on the 'feet' for pulling UltraTorque bearings off UT cranks..**

**make sure you remove the keeper c clip on RH one first!!:)

DfCas
12-01-2017, 07:46 AM
There was a thread about this when Power Torque first came out and someone suggested this puller from Amazon. I have not used it so I cannot verify.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042YZIA2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I8N2TUECDJFHI&colid=HQA3DAD0DWUC&psc=0

summilux
12-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Good work. I have the Park Tool CBP-3 and that is too flimsily made to do the job well. I bent the turning arms the first time I used it. It works with a wrench but the main screw does not inspire confidence.

jbf
12-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Not to change the subject, but last time I replaced Ultra Torque bearings I used a cheap automotive steering wheel puller. There are lots of work around's out there.

Plum Hill
10-09-2021, 11:08 PM
The VAR too looks interesting.
Not cheap, though.
https://www.vartools.com/de/crank-extractor-for-campagnolo-power-torque-var-p1066.php

ultraman6970
10-10-2021, 08:50 AM
Call veloclasique to get that one.

Plum Hill
10-10-2021, 11:30 AM
Found it much more reasonable with a British company than ebay prices; $133 vs $200+.
I need to wait for my cranksets to arrive to ascertain how well my pullers work on it.

Now, anything other than longer range needed to pull the DS bearing on the crank? Park has a tool that’s used with their crank puller but it is not available as a separate item AFAIK.

oldpotatoe
10-11-2021, 07:11 AM
Found it much more reasonable with a British company than ebay prices; $133 vs $200+.
I need to wait for my cranksets to arrive to ascertain how well my pullers work on it.

Now, anything other than longer range needed to pull the DS bearing on the crank? Park has a tool that’s used with their crank puller but it is not available as a separate item AFAIK.

Cyclus..part number 720248