PDA

View Full Version : Better pack em' well & tight, make sure nuthin' move inside!

weisan
11-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Had my garage door cracked open a few minutes ago and was just in time to catch a spectacular performance in real-time.

First, the appropriate background music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTYymbbEL4
Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube Waltz

So our friendly UPS delivery pal was in the back of the van rummaging through the packages, finding the ones that were supposed to be delivered on my street. I couldn't see him directly as he was further inside. All I could see was packages after packages being thrown with uncanny accuracy to the front or I should say, the back of the van closer to the door and landing right at the corner before they fall out onto the street. It was quite a feat.

I say it lasted for a good 5 minutes.

It was a good show.

Moral of the story:

Practice throwing your package from one corner of the living room to the other, if anything inside breaks or moves, your packing sucks. :butt:

:p

:hello:

https://niketalk.com/data/attachments/1953/1953416-ebc691eac375df42e113dae9f5946f8e.jpg

Tickdoc
11-30-2017, 01:17 PM
yes and we are now into temporary driver season, where even less care is taken.

Dave B
11-30-2017, 01:22 PM
It still surprises me how thoughtless people can be. Oh sure the world isn't all Willy Wonka and Charlie, but I see people daily who ct as though work is beneath them.

What is so hard about delivering packages? I ask out of zero UPS/FEDEX/DHL employment, but come on, surely the drivers have some accountability. Some of these damaged packages surely have to be pid out by the shipping agency.

Jaybee
11-30-2017, 01:31 PM
It still surprises me how thoughtless people can be. Oh sure the world isn't all Willy Wonka and Charlie, but I see people daily who ct as though work is beneath them.

What is so hard about delivering packages? I ask out of zero UPS/FEDEX/DHL employment, but come on, surely the drivers have some accountability. Some of these damaged packages surely have to be pid out by the shipping agency.

I'm also speaking out of zero experience in shipping other than the consumer side, but I'm guessing that drivers get graded on 1) safety in driving 2) adhering to their delivery schedule/getting as many packages delivered as possible in a given unit time. The company may be tracking breakage/claims per delivery person, but it would be tough to say whether that occurred in the final mile, when it was chucked into a shipping container at the terminal, etc. So the incentive is to find the relevant package and get it to the door and get back on the road, not ensure that everything in the truck (a lot of which isn't all that breakable) is pristine.

Clean39T
11-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Had my garage door cracked open a few minutes ago and was just in time to catch a spectacular performance in real-time.

First, the appropriate background music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTYymbbEL4
Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube Waltz

So our friendly UPS delivery pal was in the back of the van rummaging through the packages, finding the ones that were supposed to be delivered on my street. I couldn't see him directly as he was further inside. All I could see was packages after packages being thrown with uncanny accuracy to the front or I should say, the back of the van closer to the door and landing right at the corner before they fall out onto the street. It was quite a feat.

I say it lasted for a good 5 minutes.

It was a good show.

Moral of the story:

Practice throwing your package from one corner of the living room to the other, if anything inside breaks or moves, your packing sucks. :butt:

:p

https://niketalk.com/data/attachments/1953/1953416-ebc691eac375df42e113dae9f5946f8e.jpg

Get's better every loop..

Should report them to OSHA though - that's a workplace injury waiting to happen - throw with your legs, not with your back!

jtbadge
11-30-2017, 01:33 PM
I think it comes down to a time thing. I've had more than one UPS driver in St. Louis say that they are told not to even ring the doorbell unless signature is required, in order to decrease time for each package. Ridiculous.

ripvanrando
11-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Everyday package delivery technique to my porch......by USPS.

cadence90
11-30-2017, 02:02 PM
...For those PLers that don't cotton much to that old opera-style music, here's some relatively more current musical accompaniment (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxs6pSYMJA).

:)

weisan
11-30-2017, 02:33 PM
And then there's my good O' FedEx pal who just placed this down very gently on my feet before my watchful eyes a minute ago...with a smile.

berserk87
11-30-2017, 04:29 PM
The UPS drivers in my area are tops. The seem to be good drivers, courteous, and take care with my packages. I've become a holiday shopping hermit - doing all of my shopping online so I see them a lot more than they probably want to see me. Sorry to hear that your guy was trying to set a record for distance throwing of consumer goods.

The Fed Ex guys around here - not so good. Seems like they have a new driver very 2 weeks. I've almost been hit by Fed Ex drivers about 4 times over the past few years. One guy was fiddling with his clipboard electronics thingie and driving down the road and almost tagged me.

Think I've only had 2 or 3 UPS dudes deliver in my neighborhood since I've been here the past 13 years.

I have a good friend that's a UPS driver in another area. He works a TON of hours on a normal day. But this time of year, he is miserable he's so busy.

dddd
11-30-2017, 06:41 PM
There must always be a little discomfort at having to leave a package unattended, so perhaps this driver is simply trying his best to place the packages where they won't get stolen?

Life's decisions are not always as simple as they appear to the outsider or voyeur. There probably a few things going on in this driver's head and no real extra time to play with.

Lightweight packages don't cause box damage when thrown, so it is expected that the packaging is adequate. Heavy boxes I've seen heavily damaged seem to imply real negligence though, as when consecutive shipments of lead-acid batteries arrived damaged! I blame the packaging equally in that case however, since only the thinnest layer of light foam protected the corners of a ~20lb box.

simplemind
11-30-2017, 07:16 PM
And then there's my good O' FedEx pal who just placed this down very gently on my feet before my watchful eyes a minute ago...with a smile.

Congratulations on the new bike, pal!