PDA

View Full Version : "Show offs"

Keith A
11-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Over the many years of riding, I've had plenty of things yelled at me...but today was a first. As part of our loop, we go through a subdivision and there was a gentleman out riding his bike and he yelled "show offs" to our small group or riders as we went by him. I couldn't tell from the way he said this if he was being humorous or bitter.

gasman
11-30-2017, 09:57 AM
He was clearly jealous of you and the groups’ fine riding style. Maybe it was the Rapha kit.:banana:

Keith A
11-30-2017, 10:04 AM
I was actually wearing my "Paceline" kit today :)

Veloo
11-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Was he in spandex or civilian gear?

ripvanrando
11-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Probably jealousy. I can't ride like I used to and feel a bit envious sometimes seeing a well oiled group. Not often but a twinge of jealousy kreeps in.

Bentley
11-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Keith

Were you riding with your boys from Spacecoast Velo??? My guess is the guy was impressed at how you were riding, more likely how FAST you guys were riding.

Hopefully it was all in good fun, that is unless he gave you "half a Peace sign" to go along with the words.

All good, glad you got out today.

Ray

numbskull
11-30-2017, 10:29 AM
I'd assume he was joking (and intentionally deprecating himself) unless you buzzed and startled him. If he was trying to insult you he'd likely have used a lot harsher term than "showoff".

Keith A
11-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Was he in spandex or civilian gear?Civilian gear.

Ray -- Yes, I was with several members of SCVS. We weren't going too fast, probably 24ish.

Bentley
11-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Civilian gear.

Ray -- Yes, I was with several members of SCVS. We weren't going too fast, probably 24ish.

Ok, for an Old Guy, 24 is FLYING my guess is he was truly impressed

Ray

shovelhd
11-30-2017, 11:23 AM
24mph in a subdivision, on the flats, is fast. I vote that he was pissed.

ColonelJLloyd
11-30-2017, 11:27 AM
As far as humblebrags go, this thread is pretty good.

Keith A
11-30-2017, 11:31 AM
24mph in a subdivision, on the flats, is fast. I vote that he was pissed.The speed limit in this subdivision is 25mph and we gave him plenty of room when we passed by -- no buzzing. I hope he wasn't pissed, but there seemed to be an edge in his voice...but it was hard to tell.

josephr
11-30-2017, 11:39 AM
The speed limit in this subdivision is 25mph and we gave him plenty of room when we passed by -- no buzzing. I hope he wasn't pissed, but there seemed to be an edge in his voice...but it was hard to tell.

he was just having fun being a cranky old man....had you stopped to find out more, he probably would've told you about his bowel movement regularity with a smile on his face! :cool:

rccardr
11-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Please permit me to translate, as I am proficient in CodgerSpeak.

"Showoff" means: Once I was young like you and could actually look good in spandex. Wish I still did. I seem to remember in the recesses of my memory that I could actually ride pretty fast, or at least look fast when riding with a group of equally young, fit folks who don't seem to be trying very hard to do so. I have to work twice as hard to maintain a speed half as great as I estimate you rapscallians were hitting as you breezed by me with plenty of room, perhaps because you were afraid of getting some Old Man Cooties on you. So, go ahead, be thin and muscular and happy. Your day will come, sonny.

You're welcome.

Keith A
11-30-2017, 12:12 PM
rccardr - :D