PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT: Subaru Ascent

Nooch
11-30-2017, 08:32 AM
https://www.subaru.com/ascent

I can dig it. Styling looks like a big outback, but also kinda like a Pilot -- wonder how they'd compare. Limited trunk space with the third row up, though (but that's the case with all of these, really...)

Mikej
11-30-2017, 08:42 AM
https://www.subaru.com/ascent

I can dig it. Styling looks like a big outback, but also kinda like a Pilot -- wonder how they'd compare. Limited trunk space with the third row up, though (but that's the case with all of these, really...)

Looks good. I’m a current 2016 OB Ltd owner, it’s a nice vehicle but I’d have to say the infotainment system is weak and hard to use. I couldn’t find a price on the ascent, but I’m guessing the Ltd is 45k

AngryScientist
11-30-2017, 08:43 AM
another behemoth without a cause.

give me the odyssey every day over this with a set of snow tires for the winter.

Veloo
11-30-2017, 08:45 AM
New product, first gen.
Stay away until 2nd gen. Let others be victims while they iron out the bugs.

Mikej
11-30-2017, 08:48 AM
New product, first gen.
Stay away until 2nd gen. Let others be victims while they iron out the bugs.

Let me guess..you grew up in a Chevy family...I don’t think we have those problems much these days, it’s really just a big outback. As far as an odyssey with snow tires....

Vientomas
11-30-2017, 08:50 AM
Sorry...decidedly meh IMHO

Veloo
11-30-2017, 08:53 AM
4+ years with a 1st gen lemon Impreza now.
Also was a quality engineer with Ford for a couple years. We had to stay a few days at the plants launching new cars as each vendor went through their issues and corrective actions.

Let me guess..you grew up in a Chevy family...I don’t think we have those problems much these days, it’s really just a big outback. As far as an odyssey with snow tires....

Mikej
11-30-2017, 08:59 AM
4+ years with a 1st gen lemon Impreza now.
Also was a quality engineer with Ford for a couple years. We had to stay a few days at the plants launching new cars as each vendor went through their issues and corrective actions.

Credit given, I am basing my opinion from forums😀

CDollarsign
11-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Subaru needs so much help on the design side.

Nooch
11-30-2017, 09:05 AM

give me the odyssey every day over this with a set of snow tires for the winter.

I don't necessarily disagree -- and I don't even swap tires on our Ody for the winter.

By the time I pay off and think about a new car to replace my Outback, this might be a viable option... I feel the third kid will likely necessitate the larger-than-outback car by then...

eddief
11-30-2017, 09:12 AM
but I think some design critics might describe it as "slab sided."

Veloo
11-30-2017, 09:15 AM
I've griped about my car to death here so I'll just add a couple more FYI's.
In the last couple of months, I got 2 letters from Subaru out of the blue. One was to extend the warranty on the drivetrain major components. Then I got one extending the warranty on the CVT. Of course they word it like they just wanna keep customer sat good and they are all about "confidence in motion" but companies don't give free service out of the kindness of their hearts.

MattTuck
11-30-2017, 09:18 AM
I mean, there are reasons why Subaru makes a full line up of cars, and I understand why they want more offerings for consumers.

But for me, their bread and butter is the Outback. it is their best car, best driving car too. has a clear market niche. Toyota tried to compete with the Venza and folded after a couple of years. I've owned an impreza, my mom owned a forester. we both drive outbacks now.

The only other car in their line up that is 'differentiated' in my opinion is the WRX. Everything else is an also-ran (again my opinion) when compared to other brands.

p nut
11-30-2017, 09:32 AM
I like it. Seems pretty spacious, second-row captain chair option is nice. And that ground clearance. You have to get a Wrangler for GC like that. I was impressed with our old Outback. Off-road prowess (among the CUV's) was second to none.

Wish they'd just come out with a van, though. I like my Sienna, but the AWD system seems to lack compared to Subaru. Still gets us up the snowy/muddy hill far better than a FWD with or without snow tires (exciting adventure over Thanksgiving), but not as solid as the Subaru did. If VW or Subaru came out with an AWD van, I'd sell mine to get that.

cmbicycles
11-30-2017, 09:44 AM
It looks almost exactly like an outback, probably on purpose, it looks just a few inches taller. I might consider it down the road if they got rid of the standard "icontrolurcar" and infotainment systems. We have a highlander that we use for long trips, the outback is my commuter. Extra space in the highlander is nice as our kids have grown and with the 3rd row seat we can all jump in one car when we visit grandparents... Although leg space is getting tighter in the 3rd row seats as the kids grow.

marsh
11-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Funny how modern "midsized" SUV's dwarf the old XJ.
https://i.imgur.com/ZbJxCqFl.jpg

ultraman6970
11-30-2017, 09:50 AM
As long as subaru fixed the design flaw in the head gasket with this new SW, they could get a hit there.

cloudguy
11-30-2017, 10:14 AM
+1

Bring back the Legacy Turbo Wagon. Never understood why they got rid of that.

CDollarsign
11-30-2017, 10:34 AM
+1

bring back the legacy turbo wagon. Never understood why they got rid of that.

would buy that.

alancw3
11-30-2017, 10:43 AM
i originally posted the ascent to another thread. what would be a deal breaker for me is that if, i understand it right, all subaru cars and suvs only have a cvt transmission. that might be fine for some but just not for me.

MattTuck
11-30-2017, 10:45 AM
+1

Bring back the Legacy Turbo Wagon. Never understood why they got rid of that.

Word. If they brought that back, I'd be interested.

When I bought my Impreza (sport wagon) in 2004, I was lusting after a legacy wagon turbo but did not have the money at the time to justify it. By the time I needed a new car, they no longer made the Legacy wagon.

Oh well.

It was a cool car at the time. Now that the legacy and outback are more or less just a sedan and wagon form of the same car, I'm not sure a wagon version of the legacy would be that distinctive.

I recall there were more differences back in the day. More than just ground clearance, but I cannot really remember. I know they had sedan versions of outbacks at the same time.

daker13
11-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Now, what the hell is a Tribeca? Is that the former big Subaru SUV that was only sold in Canada? I never see them at the dealers.

josephr
11-30-2017, 11:27 AM
I think its too big to not have a V6....same with the new Mazda CX9 and that new VW 3-row SUV...I want something with some oompf!

pjm
11-30-2017, 12:02 PM
I think its too big to not have a V6....same with the new Mazda CX9 and that new VW 3-row SUV...I want something with some oompf!
Better get used to it. The turbo 4-banger is where they are all going now.

JAGI410
11-30-2017, 12:04 PM
19 cup holders. Nineteen.

p nut
11-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Don't discount the turbo's--even in a smaller displacement engine. My F150 ecoboost (V6 turbo) outhauls and outspeeds my old V8's. Torque down low is unreal.

cloudguy
11-30-2017, 12:58 PM
I was lusting after a legacy wagon turbo

Me too. Living in Boulder County (the Subaru capital of 'Merica), it has been disappointing to witness the evolution of the Legacy Wagon --> Outback, with each generation seemingly bigger and higher than the last. All these crossover SUVs look the same IMHO and none really do it for me. I drive an ugly 2006 Outback (currently with ~120 K miles) and I'll just keep driving it till it dies. It goes 0-60 mph in about an hour, but its been pretty reliable.

abguff
11-30-2017, 01:51 PM

I have an Outback and it's a useful size. My girlfriend has an all wheel drive Toyota Sienna and it has soooo much more room inside I feel like I can park the Outback in there. I like Honda products but the all wheel drive pushed us to the Toyota. But those two not-so-mini vans are awesome!!!

AngryScientist
11-30-2017, 01:55 PM
agreed.

i think there are two types of categories of people also:

those who will need to use the 3rd row regularly, like daily, and (2) those who will use the 3rd row occasionally when transporting other peoples kids, friends, whatever.

if you regularly need the 3rd row, to me, a van is the hands down choice.

we recently took a long vacation in california, and i rented a suburban, just for something different. the daily use of that with our family and kids needing to put two people in the 3rd row multiple times/day - i was missing the simplicity of the minivan quickly.

ColonelJLloyd
11-30-2017, 02:04 PM
i originally posted the ascent to another thread. what would be a deal breaker for me is that if, i understand it right, all subaru cars and suvs only have a cvt transmission. that might be fine for some but just not for me.

Same for me. I've driven a friend's and I just don't like it. Not that I am in the market for a new vehicle.

I do wear Five Ten Aescents with flat pedals and I am a fan.

Nooch
11-30-2017, 02:39 PM
the CVT in my outback frankly sucks, but the latest generation got a new transmission/programming and is night and day ahead of mine -- so long as that continues, I won't mind the next one. Even got to thinking if there were a way to mate the new one into my prior gen outback, but seriously not worth the hassle...

p nut
11-30-2017, 03:24 PM
I quite liked the CVT in our old Outback ('13). I went into it knowing it's not a performance machine (speed wise, anyway). It performed well and never had any issues. It was great going up a steep mountain grade and not having the transmission constantly downshift. The only negative was the noise, which was slightly louder than a traditional transmission (bit whiny).

ultraman6970
11-30-2017, 04:46 PM
It sold in the US, not many around tho.

I really liked that one.

Now, what the hell is a Tribeca? Is that the former big Subaru SUV that was only sold in Canada? I never see them at the dealers.

sg8357
11-30-2017, 07:13 PM
The weirdness has been removed, along with the Lycoming 540 flat 6 Subie
used to use in their cars.

Car Driver said of the XT6a "The perfect car for Rocket Boy to take on Rodan"

Had two Subies, a Loyale and the XT6a, got love a car with air suspension
and locking diffs.

ultraman6970
11-30-2017, 08:57 PM
Subaru discontinued some 2 doors cars just because they bet on the station wagons, Nothing wrong with a SW, they are cool but the 2 doors they built were really nice, they should get them back.

BobC
11-30-2017, 09:02 PM
I have had 3 Subarus (1 legacy wagon & 2 outbacks). My wife has had 3 Hondas (1 accord & 2 odysseys).

Her 2017 Odyssey has less leg room (less room everything except the back) than my 2017 Outback. It isn't even close.

You can slag off outbacks all you want, but they are inexpensive & maintenance-wise they are cheap to own. Pretty much does everything. When we take my oldest son back & forth to WVU in the mountains (even in good weather), it is the outback we take vice the Odyssey.

eddief
11-30-2017, 09:04 PM
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/06/how-about-1992-subaru-svx-with-46k-miles.html

I think in Spanish it is called heuvos.

Louis
11-30-2017, 09:18 PM
Other than the big towing capacity, I don't think it has any benefits for me over my Impreza, so I think I'll stick to that.

CNY rider
12-01-2017, 05:37 AM
I like it. Seems pretty spacious, second-row captain chair option is nice. And that ground clearance. You have to get a Wrangler for GC like that. I was impressed with our old Outback. Off-road prowess (among the CUV's) was second to none.

Wish they'd just come out with a van, though. I like my Sienna, but the AWD system seems to lack compared to Subaru. Still gets us up the snowy/muddy hill far better than a FWD with or without snow tires (exciting adventure over Thanksgiving), but not as solid as the Subaru did. If VW or Subaru came out with an AWD van, I'd sell mine to get that.

Yes, this X a million.
We have the same combo of Sienna and Outback.
What I really need is a slightly larger Sienna interior, on the Subaru drive platform.

Mikej
12-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Subaru discontinued some 2 doors cars just because they bet on the station wagons, Nothing wrong with a SW, they are cool but the 2 doors they built were really nice, they should get them back.

Are you joking? A two door wagon?

marsh
12-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Someone in my old neighborhood is still daily driving this bad boy

https://i.imgur.com/5RN5XqZl.jpg

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-01-2017, 11:16 AM

This.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-01-2017, 11:20 AM
agreed.

i think there are two types of categories of people also:

those who will need to use the 3rd row regularly, like daily, and (2) those who will use the 3rd row occasionally when transporting other peoples kids, friends, whatever.

if you regularly need the 3rd row, to me, a van is the hands down choice.

we recently took a long vacation in california, and i rented a suburban, just for something different. the daily use of that with our family and kids needing to put two people in the 3rd row multiple times/day - i was missing the simplicity of the minivan quickly.

Suburbans have always baffled me. How can something so huge on the outside be cramped on the inside?

pasadena
12-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Body on frame construction and solid rear axle.

You trade interior volume for durability and max tow rating

SUVs used to be no more than enclosed pickup trucks, suited for more utilitarian purposes.

Suburbans have always baffled me. How can something so huge on the outside be cramped on the inside?

Saw the Ascent at the LA Auto Show yesterday. It's nice. They will sell a ton.

likebikes
12-01-2017, 12:53 PM
like all subarus solidly 100% meh.

anyone remember the tribeca? lol!

Mikej
12-01-2017, 02:17 PM
The OB is just a very useful sized vehicle, as far as the Ascent, imagine if SMART CAR made a 4 door, it would sort of ruin the whole idea.

sipmeister
12-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Had an Outback. Liked it.
Had a Forester, it was ok but not as good as Outback.

Lately, I've been admiring the Subaru Brat. Depending on the year, some are great while the later ones are quite ugly. Still, keeping my eyes peeled for a deal...

dbnm
12-01-2017, 10:48 PM
260 hp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque and 5000 pound towing.

Really?

seems really underpowered to me.

p nut
12-01-2017, 10:58 PM
260 hp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque and 5000 pound towing.

Really?

seems really underpowered to me.

All V6 powered trucks/suv’s are around that power/TQ range. Most rated to tow 5k lbs+. ie Tacoma’s are 278hp/265tq. I would have no problems towing that much, however, i would only do it in a full size truck platform. Never in a midsize.

xnetter
12-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Looks like a Nissan or a Chevy or any number of other crossover dozers that all looks the same. I love my old Forester but still .. YAWWWN.

KJ

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-02-2017, 05:44 AM
Easily mistaken for a Honda Pilot. And highly doubt that is a coincidence. They will have a hard time keeping up with demand, imo.

AngryScientist
12-02-2017, 07:33 AM
i guy i used to work with was a total subaru believer and had a baja which he loved. totally quirky subie, but we had a few adventures in that thing, and he had some really cool racks for the back to carry bikes and surfboards. i did a lot of surfing back then. good memories.

https://www.cstatic-images.com/stock/900x600/232786.jpg

p nut
12-02-2017, 08:51 AM
i guy i used to work with was a total subaru believer and had a baja which he loved. totally quirky subie, but we had a few adventures in that thing, and he had some really cool racks for the back to carry bikes and surfboards. i did a lot of surfing back then. good memories.

That’s one car I wish they’d kept in the line up. Perhaps an updated one with a slightly longer bed.

Mikej
12-02-2017, 08:54 AM

I never understood those

xnetter
12-03-2017, 12:03 AM

Baby got back! Easily the ugliest Subie of all.
The yellow doesn't help.