PDA

View Full Version : C-4 hub manufacturer?

oliver1850
11-29-2017, 01:46 PM
I'd like to change the freehub body on one of their hubs. Most distinctive points are the triple steps in the drive side bearing area and the concave groove in the left side axle cap. It has a 15 mm AL axle with press on caps and O-ring retention. The three pawls are the double type with a retaining spring between the two ears of each pawl. Can anyone tell me who made these hubs? Other threads have suggested USA made but I didn't find any pics to compare. Thanks.

zennmotion
11-29-2017, 02:04 PM
sorry, can't resist...
Are these exploding hubs? Maybe for N. Korean military ox-carts?

oliver1850
11-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Best when paired with Maxxis detonator tires.

Seems that folks think so.

Black Dog
11-29-2017, 06:10 PM
I have the same hub. I can’t tell you what freehub works but I can tell you a HED freehub does not but is very close. I have both campy and Shimano freehub for my c4 hub and they are interchangeable without having to change axels or endcaps. Dish also does not change.

eddief
11-29-2017, 06:19 PM
I believe was the business run by Mark Hoskin. As I recall he sold some good hubs...and some not so good hubs. I had a set of wheels built with them a number of years ago. The rear died, the front is still fine.

Dave Thompson can probably remember the good and the not so good.

Quite the old thread here at Weightweenies:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84343

I think his name is now in the hall of fame with that Australian frame builder whose name is now escaping me.

oliver1850
11-29-2017, 07:29 PM
I have the same hub. I can’t tell you what freehub works but I can tell you a HED freehub does not but is very close. I have both campy and Shimano freehub for my c4 hub and they are interchangeable without having to change axels or endcaps. Dish also does not change.

If you want to part with the C10 freehub, let me know. I'd prefer S11 but they may not even exist.

oliver1850
11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
I believe was the business run by Mark Hoskin. As I recall he sold some good hubs...and some not so good hubs. I had a set of wheels built with them a number of years ago. The rear died, the front is still fine.

Dave Thompson can probably remember the good and the not so good.

Quite the old thread here at Weightweenies:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84343

I think his name is now in the hall of fame with that Australian frame builder whose name is now escaping me.

Interesting thread, though it mostly deals with durability issues and people's experiences dealing with the company. It does sound like the hubs were made in the USA to C-4's specs, as they talk about running changes. There's a new one on ebay right now that's similar to mine, which says made in USA on the left axle cap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C-4-Rear-Hub-Road-Bike-Campagnolo-Freehub-Body-24-Hole-Slotted-198-Grams-USA/302467204044?hash=item466c7343cc:g:KXQAAOSwdPBZybL-:sc:USPSPriority!61345!US!-1

another:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C-4-Rear-Hub-Road-Bike-Campagnolo-Freehub-Body-28-Hole-Made-In-USA-Titanium/302467216814?hash=item466c7375ae:g:RgsAAOSwHqRZybh X:sc:USPSPriority!61345!US!-1

cmbicycles
11-29-2017, 09:25 PM
I have a set of red c-4 hubs that I think are S11, at least 1.75 ish mm deeper FH than the s10 wheels I have laying around. I'd be interested if you find a freehub that works as all my biked are campy 10. I haven't found a round tuit, so mine are sitting waiting for me to get a 20h front rim and some spokes.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171130/db763043ca8237a7a4d045709fb73f2e.jpg

oliver1850
11-30-2017, 02:30 AM
Your hub looks quite a bit different from mine but that doesn't mean the freehubs wouldn't be interchangeable. Sounds like yours is S11. I measure a Shimano 11 (RS11) freehub at 36.8 mm from the outer edge to the ledge that the large cog sits against.

I have NOS 20 hole Kinlin XR-300 rims in blue and gold. Not sure if I have another color.

Black Dog
11-30-2017, 08:44 AM
If you want to part with the C10 freehub, let me know. I'd prefer S11 but they may not even exist.

I will dig around and see if I can find the shimano freehub for the hub. I have the campy free hub on now and if I can mod the shimano freebie to accept 11speed like I did with my HED free hubs I will send you the campy version, Gratis.

cmbicycles
11-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Your hub looks quite a bit different from mine but that doesn't mean the freehubs wouldn't be interchangeable. Sounds like yours is S11. I measure a Shimano 11 (RS11) freehub at 36.8 mm from the outer edge to the ledge that the large cog sits against.

I have NOS 20 hole Kinlin XR-300 rims in blue and gold. Not sure if I have another color.
I have a 24h xr300 in black already, just have no immediate use for another set of wheels at the moment so they will sit. I measured mine a while ago, compared free hubs to a 6700 hub and it seemed about the prescribed length longer at the time, I can double check though.

Is your hub road or mtn? The ends are a bit different and yours seems a little different in the middle shell as well. From what I read (and think I remember) C-4 shifted from overseas manufacture with final machining and assembly in the US, to all made here at some point. I was wondering if a formula/novatec or similar free hub would fit. The BHS hubs actually look pretty similar with the stepped hub shell, but no idea about free hub compatability.

sokyroadie
11-30-2017, 10:34 AM

Paul Taylor

oliver1850
11-30-2017, 11:52 AM
I will dig around and see if I can find the shimano freehub for the hub. I have the campy free hub on now and if I can mod the shimano freebie to accept 11speed like I did with my HED free hubs I will send you the campy version, Gratis.

That would be great. Thanks. I don't plan on going to 11 any time soon, and it's for a C10 bike anyway. I wanted to experiment with respacing a Tiagra 10 cassette to C10 spacing, but I can do that on another wheel.

oliver1850
11-30-2017, 12:05 PM
I have a 24h xr300 in black already, just have no immediate use for another set of wheels at the moment so they will sit. I measured mine a while ago, compared free hubs to a 6700 hub and it seemed about the prescribed length longer at the time, I can double check though.

Is your hub road or mtn? The ends are a bit different and yours seems a little different in the middle shell as well. From what I read (and think I remember) C-4 shifted from overseas manufacture with final machining and assembly in the US, to all made here at some point. I was wondering if a formula/novatec or similar free hub would fit. The BHS hubs actually look pretty similar with the stepped hub shell, but no idea about free hub compatability.

Mine is road, with a 28 hole XR-300. I looked at several Formula hubs I have here, none of them looked similar. Two of them had set screws to retain the end caps and I was unable to pull the end caps off the third by hand. Formula has probably made a bunch of different models but perhaps some of the freehubs swap.

The BHS SL210 does resemble the C-4 hub a bit. If the sketch is accurate, it has about twice as many notches for pawl engagement. Both flanges on the C-4 have a 47 mm spoke hole diameter. Would like to see pics and measurements of the axle and internals of the SL210.

I found a silver 20 hole XR-300 here but no black so far. BHS has 20 black on sale for $45. You might want to pick one up before they are gone.

http://www.bikehubstore.com/Kinlin-XR300-Rim-p/xr300.htm

lzuk
12-02-2017, 05:30 AM
Is this what your looking for? 1 campy, 1 shimano I assume the shimano is 10

oliver1850
12-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Is this what your looking for? 1 campy, 1 shimano I assume the shimano is 10

They look right from here. Hard to tell for sure. Are they for 15 mm axle? Shimano 8/9/10 is about 35 mm from outer edge to where the large cog rests. 11 speed is about 36.8 mm.

lzuk
12-02-2017, 10:20 AM
It appears to be closer to 35mm. I have no use for them.

dookie
12-02-2017, 02:46 PM
I believe was the business run by Mark Hoskin...

Eff that guy...a thousand times over. And Marcus, and whatever other names he goes by.

Deported I hear, and hopefully in jail.

You might try wheelbuilder.com. As I understand it, they had a hand in the C4 game?

tristan
12-02-2017, 08:17 PM
You might try wheelbuilder.com. As I understand it, they had a hand in the C4 game?

From memory it was Fairwheel who were pushing C-4 at the time, not Wheelbuilder.com