PDA

View Full Version : Narrowest bikepacking seat pack

doomridesout
11-29-2017, 09:59 AM
I tried a Revelate seat pack a while back and it was wide enough that it brushed my thighs while I pedalled. I sold it, it drove me nuts. I still wouldn't mind owning a butt-rocket for big days out where I need clothes. Overnight gear not required as a rule, so it doesn't need to be huge.

Anybody know a seat pack that's narrower at the seatpost?

gospastic
11-29-2017, 10:08 AM
I have the Rapha+Apidura saddle pack, it's the same size as their non-Rapha branded compact size. I do not feel it while riding. I don't know how this would compare to the Revelate.

doomridesout
11-29-2017, 10:12 AM
I haven't heard a lot about people complaining about the Revelate, so I think this is not a common concern. Something like a Porcelain Rocket Mr. Fusion might cantilever the bag back, but I'm not sure.

ColonelJLloyd
11-29-2017, 10:28 AM
I tried a Revelate seat pack a while back and it was wide enough that it brushed my thighs while I pedalled.

Do you have a pic of your setup? Do you use a lot of saddle setback?

doomridesout
11-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Nothing particularly crazy, I think I run about 7cm of setback, usually like a 73 seat angle with a ~15mm setback post clamping at the middle of the rails. No pics right now but it's not out of the ordinary.

Edit: In fairness I haven't tried one of these bags for about three years, when I used the Revelate briefly, but I'm super sensitive about thigh rub, one of my pet peeves. It was light brushing on the pack, not full on rubbing, but eventually that will ruin shorts.

ColonelJLloyd
11-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Bikepacking is just rough on stuff. I looked down once on my last trip and saw that a velcro strap on the TT holding a fishing rod had come partially open. Not sure how long it was like that, but long enough to badly abrade a pair of merino bibs only on their third day of use ever. Sucks.

The Porcelain Rocket design might be a better bet. It'd be nice if you could get a loaner and try out. If I used one I'd send it, but I use a Viscacha when I need a seat pack. It could be that I've experienced some rub in a few situations, but not regularly.

Edit: I just asked a friend who uses the PR and he says he's never experienced thigh rub with it. That's his Fargo. B17 on Thomson setback.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4506/37426940276_d29870e47b_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Z2hRpJ)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/Z2hRpJ) by ColonelJLloyd (https://www.flickr.com/photos/51002114@N03/), on Flickr

Cornfed
11-29-2017, 11:00 AM
Depending on how much stuff you need to carry, a Moots Tailgator might work for you. The frame sets the pack out a bit and you can adjust the height. For longer trips, I've even used the frame alone with my Revelate strapped on top. Also helps w any sway.

Ken Robb
11-29-2017, 11:15 AM
I have a couple of racks that clamp to a seat tube and hold a pack above the rear wheel so there is no chance of contacting my legs. One came with a detachable pack and the other provides a flat surface that can support many kinds of bags/packs.

gdw
11-29-2017, 11:23 AM
How much clothing will you be carrying? Are you riding on trails, gravel, or pavement?

El Chaba
11-29-2017, 12:10 PM
The art of carrying stuff gracefully on a bicycle is largely a lost one. It was figured out long ago, but like putting a man on the moon or an effective quick release skewer, it is technology largely lost to civilization. The proper place to carry some extra clothes and a few other things is in a handlebar bag. Admittedly, they are annoying if they interfere with your hand position, but his was sorted out as well. They should be mounted on a small rack slightly lower and forward out of the way. I recognize that this probably requires a bike designed for it, but recognize also that anything else is a compromise and one can expect reduced performance/increased annoyance. A seat bag is a great way to adapt a racing bike to carry a few things, but the key word is adapt. As the OP experienced, they almost always interfere with your legs, etc. Worse yet, it is an okay spot to carry weight while you are seated, but with much load in the bag at all, it really makes the bike suck whenever you have to stand and rock the bike a little.

Clean39T
11-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Carradice?

I used one for commuting for a long time and it was always just about the right size - would be fine for your purpose too I suppose..

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Packs/sqrtrax.jpg

doomridesout
11-29-2017, 02:46 PM
This is for road and gravel. The stuff I carry would mainly be extra layers for on the bike and possibly a pair of flip flops or slip on shoes. Would not be much weight, mainly fabric bulk.

Keys are:
Stable, no chance of a rack on the post shifting to one side or another. I can't tell you the times I've seen cheap seatpost clamp racks that want to move around.
Waterproof is a huge plus considering it would be for brevet days that might necessitate rain gear.
No thigh rub.

Chaba-- I hear you, don't worry, I have a bike for a front bag on the way, but this is for my other bikes. Yes, it's an adaptation and not a purposive solution. I'm OK with that.

Just watched the video on Moots' site about the Tailgator-- a lot more interesting of a design than I'd thought. Might be a contender.

charliedid
11-29-2017, 03:17 PM
I rode this for a weekend with no issues. I'm skinny as a rail but still, this thing is narrow (under two inches I think) where it hits the post.

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/seatpacker-9-bikepacking-seat-bag.html

gdw
11-29-2017, 04:04 PM
Have you considered a partial frame pack? They keep the weight centered on the bike so handling isn't effected and are much easier to access than a saddlebag. A friend used the one pictured to carry lightweight rain gear, arm and leg warmers, a hat, and other miscellaneous items during this year's Ride the Rockies. A number of companies offer production versions or you can get a custom model from one of the small manufacturers.