PDA

View Full Version : OT: I was thinking of visiting a friend in Thailand, now will reconsider

fiamme red
11-28-2017, 09:06 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/world/asia/bangkok-snakes.html

BANGKOK — Panarat Chaiyaboon was using the toilet in her downstairs bathroom in July when she felt a sharp bite on her thigh. She jumped up to see a scene straight out of a nightmare: an 8-foot python emerging from her toilet.

She rushed to the hospital, bleeding heavily, and still bears the marks from eight tooth punctures that were around half an inch deep.

That snake was captured. But a week later, Ms. Panarat’s 15-year-old daughter found a second python in the same toilet. The daughter was so shaken, she went to stay with relatives...:eek: :eek: :eek:

weisan
11-28-2017, 09:26 PM
You think that's bad, check this out:

https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/star-bull-elephant-crushes-owner-to-death/

d_douglas
11-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Ha ha - I lived in Thailand for a year and worked in an office directly adjacent to a field of tall grass and apparently, snakes.

I never saw one, but I heard stories of few getting Into the ground floor bathroom of my office. I never used that bathroom once I heard that story :)

oldpotatoe
11-29-2017, 07:09 AM
Ha ha - I lived in Thailand for a year and worked in an office directly adjacent to a field of tall grass and apparently, snakes.

I never saw one, but I heard stories of few getting Into the ground floor bathroom of my office. I never used that bathroom once I heard that story :)

I have visited Thailand a few times when in USN and it seemed snakes were everywhere...swimming by as we ate in a outside patio next to the water(GREAT food, Pataya Beach)...BUT locals kinda shrugged....:eek:

Mikej
11-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Pythons (constrictors) are fine, its the pits, habu's and other venomous non-round slit eyed creepers in the area...

zap
11-29-2017, 08:43 AM
**** can happen anywhere.

http://time.com/5037116/family-finds-4-foot-long-snake-hiding-in-their-toilet/

kevinvc
11-29-2017, 10:19 AM
We had a centipede that must have been close to 12" long knock the drain out of our shower and climb out in our apartment in Thailand. Not cool.

d_douglas
11-29-2017, 10:51 AM
We had a centipede that must have been close to 12" long knock the drain out of our shower and climb out in our apartment in Thailand. Not cool.

I would freak out if I saw that. I had some 3" long cockroaches in my bathroom one time. Killed them, then bought a bottle of bleach and disinfected the entire apartment. I am a bit bug-phobic.

ORMojo
11-29-2017, 11:38 AM
I can't even begin to catalog the creatures I've encountered in Thailand. But keep me from traveling there? Not even close.

My living quarters at the monastery in Thailand are built to dissuade creatures - note that the concrete footings are filled with oil, and the steps are separated from the porch by a good ten inches or more. But the closest encounter I've ever had was in San Pancho, Mexico, when one morning I woke, reached down to pull on my shorts, and as I put my first leg in, a huge scorpion fell out. That would have been an unpleasant shock to the crotch!

eBAUMANN
11-29-2017, 11:44 AM
a friend in austin (TX) recently had about 20 large roaches blasted up out of his toilet thanks to some utility work taking place out on the street.

probably should avoid austin as well ;)

wc1934
11-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Was there a few years ago - didnt see any - but did see 2 last week in my back yard

AngryScientist
11-29-2017, 11:50 AM
PSA: Look before you squat.

OtayBW
12-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Thread resurrection:

I recall a friend of mine some years ago in Tennessee squating in the woods and getting bitten in the butt by a Brown Recluse ('fiddleback') spider. These guys can cause necrotic ulcers that expand for days or weeks, leaving a deep scar -in this case, something about the size of a softball (...or so I have been told).

Reason I wound up here is that I am about to go to Thailand for a few weeks and was looking into the cycling over there. From everything I've read: not good; very dangerous. Any other thoughts on this?

oldpotatoe
12-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Thread resurrection:

I recall a friend of mine some years ago in Tennessee squating in the woods and getting bitten in the butt by a Brown Recluse ('fiddleback') spider. These guys can cause necrotic ulcers that expand for days or weeks, leaving a deep scar -in this case, something about the size of a softball (...or so I have been told).

Reason I wound up here is that I am about to go to Thailand for a few weeks and was looking into the cycling over there. From everything I've read: not good; very dangerous. Any other thoughts on this?

I'd certainly check the 'political' environment these days and how 'safe' it might be for a foreigner. It certainly isn't the Thailand of the 80s and 90s..I'd cycle in VietNam way before Thailand..

joosttx
12-08-2018, 09:24 AM
When I lived in Singapore we had a huge python crawl into our yard. And a friend was hiking in the jungle and one fell from the tree and smashed her on the head. Luckily she was with her father to pull her away or she would have been eating!

andeww
12-08-2018, 10:02 AM
I have been many times if you have any questions! Best bet for cycling would be Chiangmai mai area. The hills around Pai would be amazing but you would need to setup bike rentals and logistics before you head up there. SEA is my favorite part of the world, I'll be in Vietnam in apr

OtayBW
12-08-2018, 11:04 AM
I'd certainly check the 'political' environment these days and how 'safe' it might be for a foreigner. It certainly isn't the Thailand of the 80s and 90s..I'd cycle in VietNam way before Thailand..Thanks. Yeah - I'll be starting out ~75 km south of BKK, but part of the uncertainty is not knowing what it might be like getting some miles in out in the boonies.

When I lived in Singapore we had a huge python crawl into our yard. And a friend was hiking in the jungle and one fell from the tree and smashed her on the head. Luckily she was with her father to pull her away or she would have been eating!I HATE when that happens!

I have been many times if you have any questions! Best bet for cycling would be Chiangmai mai area. The hills around Pai would be amazing but you would need to setup bike rentals and logistics before you head up there. SEA is my favorite part of the world, I'll be in Vietnam in apr

Thx - I plan to head up north to Chaing Mai for part of my time and I have also heard that riding up there is more feasible. Would also like to get to Vientiane, but probably will not be able to get to Vietnam this trip.

Hawker
12-08-2018, 11:47 AM
Some of you guys are exotic travelers to be sure. I think I'm going up to Allentown right after Christmas. I'll be sure to check the toilets there as well.

zennmotion
12-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Thread resurrection:

Fear of the unknown. Thailand is great for cycling, and for better or worse there's a "scene" in Changmai with euro, aussi and american racerboy wannabes abusing the local culture and living cheap. If your trip is cycling-focused I'd skip the South and enjoy the safe (yes!) and very steep hilly roads up North. Road riding in/around Chiangmai is more or less limited to the climb out of town up the mtn to Doi Suthep, you'll have company and be warned the locals can kick your azz up that long hill- but other than that you'll want to get transport out of town to find nice roads. But Chiangmai also has good mountain biking, you can rent a decent rig in town, I'd recommend doing a guided tour (some are great, some just so-so but it's easy to waste time and get lost on your own- and again the guides can kick your azz up or downhill). The roads between Chiangmai, Mae Hon Sun, and Pai are amazing, but you need real climbing gears and decent fitness, double digit grades are the norm. Thailand is quite safe, the roads up North are pretty quiet once you get out of town, the locals super friendly and while you are on narrow mountain roads, the drivers are pretty reasonable and vehicle traffic pretty light. Most Americans are chickensh***s when it comes to travel much beyond western Europe, we live in an insular home environment and too much fox news- go to Thailand without any worries (well, except the hills. Worry about the hills).

Jeff N.
12-08-2018, 01:16 PM
I was stationed at Ubon Air Base, Thailand, for a year, loading bombs on F4's, during the Vietnam mess. There's about a hundred species of snakes there, about 99 of which are deadly poisonous. I remember one that was called a "two-stepper"...if it bites you, you take two steps and drop dead! A MUST to avoid. Here's a pic of the Ubon flightline, taken from atop the revetments, 1970. It's now an international airport. Crazy.

ORMojo
12-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Fear of the unknown. Thailand is great for cycling, and for better or worse there's a "scene" in Changmai with euro, aussi and american racerboy wannabes abusing the local culture and living cheap. If your trip is cycling-focused I'd skip the South and enjoy the safe (yes!) and very steep hilly roads up North. Road riding in/around Chiangmai is more or less limited to the climb out of town up the mtn to Doi Suthep, you'll have company and be warned the locals can kick your azz up that long hill- but other than that you'll want to get transport out of town to find nice roads. But Chiangmai also has good mountain biking, you can rent a decent rig in town, I'd recommend doing a guided tour (some are great, some just so-so but it's easy to waste time and get lost on your own- and again the guides can kick your azz up or downhill). The roads between Chiangmai, Mae Hon Sun, and Pai are amazing, but you need real climbing gears and decent fitness, double digit grades are the norm. Thailand is quite safe, the roads up North are pretty quiet once you get out of town, the locals super friendly and while you are on narrow mountain roads, the drivers are pretty reasonable and vehicle traffic pretty light. Most Americans are chickensh***s when it comes to travel much beyond western Europe, we live in an insular home environment and too much fox news- go to Thailand without any worries (well, except the hills. Worry about the hills).

+100

And if you want all of the above, with less worrying about the hills :) . . . head NE to Isaan. My favorite region of Thailand.

OtayBW
12-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info, but fear of the unknown and most americans are chicken**** about riding outside of western Europe? I don't know - that's a pretty broad brush. This is no different from my point of view than inquring what it's like - or what are the best options - for riding in NYC. Not something that I would either typically do, or shy away from, but definately something that I would inquire about....

fmradio516
12-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Forget about that, what about the lady in Seattle who was using her neti pot with tap water(through a brita) and died of some brain ameba

zennmotion
12-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info, but fear of the unknown and most americans are chicken**** about riding outside of western Europe? I don't know - that's a pretty broad brush. This is no different from my point of view than inquring what it's like - or what are the best options - for riding in NYC. Not something that I would either typically do, or shy away from, but definately something that I would inquire about....

Sorry, not directed at you, you're planning a trip. But all the stories about snakes and bugs and political 'situations' oh my... in scare quotes, from what info I have no idea. And yes, I'd have more concern about riding in NYC than Thailand. And I used to live in Brooklyn, bike commuted to Manhattan...
For Chiangmai, send these guys an Email, they can help set you up with good rental bikes if you want to do some offroad (I think they have road bikes as well), help with routes, and their guides are top notch. Not the cheapest in town, but the best.
https://www.trailhead.co.th/

OtayBW
12-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Sorry, not directed at you, you're planning a trip. But all the stories about snakes and bugs and political 'situations' oh my... in scare quotes, from what info I have no idea. And yes, I'd have more concern about riding in NYC than Thailand. And I used to live in Brooklyn, bike commuted to Manhattan...
For Chiangmai, send these guys an Email, they can help set you up with good rental bikes if you want to do some offroad (I think they have road bikes as well), help with routes, and their guides are top notch. Not the cheapest in town, but the best.
https://www.trailhead.co.th/
Excellent - thanks! FWIW, I will be visiting a friend in the South, and from there, we will travel to who knows where: almost certainly Chiang Mai, and points north, and also NE. It is not inconceivable that I may wind up there (the south) for some extended time, and - maybe this sounds dumb, but - the ability to maintain some reasonable kind of cycling lifestyle is not a trivial consideration.
Thanks once again.