PDA

View Full Version : New Pacenti carbon rims

ikecycke
11-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Got the email this morning about the Pacenti site redesign and introduction of new products. I was looking through the offerings and the new carbon rims caught my eye.

The specs (21.2mm internal width for disc clinchers) and pricing seem good, especially at the pre-order price. My biggest reason for pause is seeing that they are built without a bead hook. I know there are a number of MTB rims out these days that have gone that way, but I wonder about that with the bit higher pressures run with CX and gravel tires.

Any of you run hookless rims with CX tires? I know the bead hook isn't the only line of defense for tubeless, as that falls more on the tire bead, but I haven't seen any real-life feedback.

NoMoreParagon
11-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Got the email this morning about the Pacenti site redesign and introduction of new products. I was looking through the offerings and the new carbon rims caught my eye.

The specs (21.2mm internal width for disc clinchers) and pricing seem good, especially at the pre-order price. My biggest reason for pause is seeing that they are built without a bead hook. I know there are a number of MTB rims out these days that have gone that way, but I wonder about that with the bit higher pressures run with CX and gravel tires.

Any of you run hookless rims with CX tires? I know the bead hook isn't the only line of defense for tubeless, as that falls more on the tire bead, but I haven't seen any real-life feedback.

this a good question....seems so many new rims only hookless..it started with chinese rim manufacturers and now became popular after ENVE adopted it for their 4.5AR... if you go to Hunt Wheels website they have a all chapter on why hookless makes sense... their point being that without hook you don't need reinforcement material on the rim edge and u can save on average 100-150g a wheelset.
It's also much easier for them to manufacture i guess.
You see all over the social media, people using hookless rims and standard clincher tires..but when you speak with manufacturers they are very adamant in recommending only tubeless tire with carbon beads. No problem running tires with inner tube. as long as the tire is labelled as tubeless ready.

So the choice to make for you is are you ready to give up the ample choice of standard clincher and restrict yourself only with carbon bead tubeless ready tires?

What i can tell you is that every month you see new tubeless tires offered so the selection now looks pretty good.

I run schwalbe G-Ones, but plenty of people speaking v highly of Clement tubeless for CX and gravel. Good luck!

eBAUMANN
11-28-2017, 12:11 PM
been racing 2 sets of hookless carbon rims tubeless for cx this season...with 35 and 38c tires...zero issues, big fan, would/will buy again.

a couple thoughts about the new disc offerings:
1 - rims look sweet
...but
2 - the disc wheels come stock with QR end caps and I have to buy T-A end caps separately...seriously? Its 2017...
3 - the hubs...all I know about them is they use "EZO Japan" bearings...and they dont use that sweet freehub design (with the "bite protector") seen on the rim brake hubs

i get that at this price point ($675 for 2 rims leaves $150 for hubs/spokes/build...which is TIGHT) you can only expect so much out of the hubs, I would just like to know a little more about why these particular hubs were chosen, SELL ME ON EM KIRK ;)

ikecycke
11-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Glad to hear about your experience eBAUMANN. I would certainly like the gained impact resistance from the hookless rims. I've been a CX tubeless convert for the past 2 seasons, with the best luck from Stan's Grail rims and Clement tires, but have dented so many rims it's getting a bit ridiculous.

I'm curious about the hubs as well. I know they did a run of Pacenti-branded White Industries hubs a while back, but the ones built into the new wheels certainly aren't those.