PDA

View Full Version : fixing a flat in tubeless tires ?

cnighbor1
11-28-2017, 11:07 AM
fixing a flat in tubeless tires ?
while in Trek Bicycle store in Sana Rosa CA I noticed in the display case a way to fix a flat __________________________ in a tubeless tire
Has any member fixed a flat using a tubeless flat repair device on the road
and did it work
would like to try a set but flats to me are the big problem
Thanks
Charles

old fat man
11-28-2017, 12:17 PM
I fix tubeless flats by putting a tube in and finishing my ride. This has happened to me twice in 5 years of running road tubeless (25,000 miles?). I was able to patch one of the two tubeless flats with a tubeless tire patch kit once I got home. It held just fine. The other flat was too big and the tire was old anyway so it went into the garbage.

batman1425
11-28-2017, 12:20 PM
^^^ This. One of the benefits of tubeless is reduced chances of flats, provided an appropriate sealant is used. In the event you get a missed plug, just pop in a regular tube, finish your ride, and boot it later.

If it wasn't a fluke miss by the sealant and the hole/cut is big enough that it wouldn't ever seal, it's probably bordering on unsafe to ride, tubleless or not.

foo_fighter
11-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Dynaplug, Tire Bacon, or Blackburn tire plug.

Mark McM
11-28-2017, 12:48 PM
It seems that the vast majority of people use sealant in their tubeless tires, and the use of sealant to reduce flats appears to be a big reason that many people use tubeless tires. But I've got ask - just how many flats were you getting before using sealant?

Maybe I'm just lucky, but with my regular tires with inner tubes I don't get many flat tires - maybe two or three a year. And that's among all my bikes/wheels (I probably have 7 or 8 pairs of wheels I use regularly). Fixing a flat is quick and easy - the inner tube can be replaced in just a few minutes. And initial tire installation is almost as fast. Some of my tires have gone years without a flat, in which case these tires are essentially maintenance free.

But with tubeless tires and sealant, there appears to be a substantial maintenance overhead. Installing the tire is a little bit more involved, as it sometimes requires a high pressure air source to seat the tire, and then there is the time to install the sealant. Maybe this is not a lot of extra time if you're already set up to do it. But the sealant appears to require periodic maintenance. According to this article on Bike Rumor (https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/02/19/tubeless-tire-sealant-tech-part-1-how-often-should-it-be-checked-replaced/), sealant requires periodic service every 2 to 7 months, and some require that old sealant be removed. If you have a lot of wheels, that seems like a lot of effort to prevent an event (flat tire) that may happen less frequently than the sealant service interval, and even when it does happen, only takes a few minutes to fix.

For those of you that use sealant, did you used to experience a lot of flat tires before using sealant?

FlashUNC
11-28-2017, 12:53 PM
All it took was one ride through goathead country to see the value of tubeless.

batman1425
11-28-2017, 12:58 PM
For those of you that use sealant, did you used to experience a lot of flat tires before using sealant?

It depends on the area and intended use. I used to get a lot of flats when I lived in the city. Lots of crappy roads (pinch flats) and debris would eat tubes like crazy. Tubeless is a good option in those places for the self healing ability. It's also helpful when the weather is crappy and you don't want to stop to change a flat.

The maintainence isn't bad. Check the levels and topp off a few times a season. In the off season, pull the tires, wipe out anything that remains, and remount with fresh stuff once you are ready to go outside again. The only time I see it as a pain is if you regularly change tires for different terrain. It's possible to transfer sealant from one tire to another, but it's messy and more trouble than it's worth IMO.

joosttx
11-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Dynaplug. Google it and get it. It’s the greatest product for fixing tubeless flats. And it’s expensive but totally worth it.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/tubeless-tires-you-need-dynaplug-48181.html

Jaybee
11-28-2017, 01:12 PM
All it took was one ride through goathead country to see the value of tubeless.

This. I visit my parents in southern NM 2 or 3 times a year and I won't do a ride without some sort of sealant. My off-road rigs are already tubeless, and I put a couple ounces of Orange Seal in my regular road clinchers.

Tony
11-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Dynaplug. Google it and get it. It’s the greatest product for fixing tubeless flats. And it’s expensive but totally worth it.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/tubeless-tires-you-need-dynaplug-48181.html

That point looks scary, not sure if I want it pointing at my rim, could cause damage?

Plugs are available that look like smaller versions of auto plugs, work well.

cow
11-29-2017, 10:16 PM
I put a couple ounces of Orange Seal in my regular road clinchers.
I've started putting sealant in my tubulars & my flats (I felt cursed; it felt I was having one almost weekly.) have gone to just about nill. I even used a couple tires till the casing was worn!

Now, please excuse my while I go knock on wood.

chiasticon
11-30-2017, 07:20 AM
I agree with Mark McM when it comes to road riding. I get a few flats a year there and changing them isn't troubling enough to make me deal with the additional hassle of tubeless. off-road, tubeless is awesome.

Mikej
11-30-2017, 07:23 AM
I was just thinking, what about those patches the TV guy just slaps on a pipe leaking water?

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-tape/