PDA

View Full Version : La Shana Tova

znfdl
09-22-2006, 07:14 AM
May everyone have a peaecful and happy new year.

The festival of Rosh Hashanah --the name means "Head of the Year" --is observed for two days beginning on Tishrei 1, the first day of the Jewish year.

Rosh Hashanah thus emphasizes the special relationship between G-d and humanity.

The central observance of Rosh Hashanah is the sounding of the shofar, the ram's horn, which represents the trumpet blast of a people's coronation of their king. The cry of the shofar is also a call to repentance. Another significance of the shofar is to recall the Binding of Isaac which also occurred on Rosh Hashanah, in which a ram took Isaac's place as an offering to G-d; we evoke Abraham's readiness to sacrifice his son and plead that the merit of his deed should stand by us as we pray for a year of life, health and prosperity. Altogether, the shofar is sounded 100 times in the course of the Rosh Hashanah service.

Additional Rosh Hashanah observances include: a) Eating a piece of apple dipped in honey to symbolize our desire for a sweet year, and other special foods symbolic of the new year's blessings. b) Blessing one another with the words Leshanah tovah tikateiv veteichateim, "May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year." c) Tashlich, a special prayer said near a body of water (an ocean, river, pond, etc.) in evocation of the verse, "And You shall cast their sins into the depths of the sea." And as with every major Jewish holiday after candlelighting and prayers we recite Kiddush and make a blessing on the Challah.

atmo
09-22-2006, 07:18 AM
a special h. stern moment for all my bros atmo -

ergott
09-22-2006, 07:38 AM
y tambien!

This will be the first year I will attend services sitting next to my wife and son. I normally sit and sing with the choir. It should be a nice change of pace.

Ray
09-22-2006, 07:45 AM
May everyone have a peaecful and happy new year.

Right back at you, and to all the rest of y'all too.

-Ray

catulle
09-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Health and kindness for all.

Too Tall
09-22-2006, 08:34 AM
:) Watching mom sing tonight :) :)

PBWrench
09-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Wishing you a year of health, happiness and productivity. And cool bike stuff. Campy is working on a carbon fiber shofar for next year atmo. Assos will produce hypo-allergenic etrogs and Calfee is developing a lulav frame. Serotta is considering a Uniscasi sukkah with couplers for easy assembly.

93legendti
09-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Shana Tova vimetuka to all Forumites.

MallyG
09-22-2006, 09:27 AM
May you all have a safe, peaceful and Happy New Year and may all your journeys be scenic.

l'chaim!

djg
09-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Le shanah tovah, y'all. Peace to you and your families and friends in the new year.

Dan

crf
09-22-2006, 11:25 AM
And as they say down south..."Tovah Feldshuh to y'all!".

davids
09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
May everyone have a peaceful and happy new year.

Leshanah tovah tikateiv veteichateim.
Amen!

I not only have the honor of an aliyah tomorrow morning, but the great pleasure of saying it as my wife and daughter read from the Torah.

A good year, of happiness, fulfillment and peace, to all.

Sandy
09-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Happy New Year to all, whenever it begins for you. Hopefully as the year progresses there is an increase, in the world, of sensitivity, compassion, and understanding of others who are different than you in their beliefs.

Sandy

Marco
09-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Peace, Good Health, Happiness, Veloness, Red Vines (not Twizzlers), and Biblical Riding (you say Moab, I say Yerushalayim).

Bruce K
09-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Wishing a peacful, healthy, and prosperous New Year to all my freinds here on the Forum.

Those I have met, and those I have yet to meet.

BK

bigman
09-22-2006, 06:33 PM
May we all be inscribed in the Book of Life