PDA

View Full Version : Another fender thread: Curana Mudguards CLite

NoMoreParagon
11-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Just got and installed a pair or Curana CLite and went for a ride.
I know some ppl in the forum have been asking about them. These are my impressions:
Pro:
- very sleek and minimalistic. Fits well with modern all road frames.
- light
- several sizes in 5mm increments
- well priced

Cons:
- supplied hardware is ok but not great. I was able to fit them nicely only by adding VO hardware (leather washer, L bracket and spring bridge bolt).
- they work ok for road applications. For gravel and rough road they bounce a bit. This is a function also of one single connecting arm which leave a section of the fenders unsupported.

I first ordered 40mm wide fenders but because of intereferebce with eTap FD I chose the easy way with 35mm.
Pictures attached.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171128/685b33e94770f5d6e137c3c1259533ee.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171128/2f843d8bbf05400d0a5ed92a0251048b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
11-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Very nice, thanks for sharing your experience.

john segal
11-28-2017, 10:05 AM
These look very promising. I assume you purchased these in Europe?
Doesn't seem that Curana has a US distributor.

NoMoreParagon
11-28-2017, 10:35 AM
These look very promising. I assume you purchased these in Europe?

Doesn't seem that Curana has a US distributor.

Yes only way was Europe :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John H.
11-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Does your bike have fender mounts? Pics are at wrong angle, I can't 100% tell.
And is that the Enve front fender?

This stuff works ok for some rain and riding alone- But it is a compromise if you have fender mounts.
Whatever you use- You want long flaps. That is the real key to staying clean and not spraying others.
I am a fan of Honjos with two struts in the back.

Fenders off-road? Makes sense in theory but it can be an accident waiting to happen. Much more debris (at least where I ride)- a stick in the fender can be a big problem- And this is not uncommon.

David Tollefson
11-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Struts that loop to the inside of the fender = no bueno. Especially on a front fender. And a second on long flaps (front for yourself, rear for buddies).

NoMoreParagon
11-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Does your bike have fender mounts? Pics are at wrong angle, I can't 100% tell.
And is that the Enve front fender?

This stuff works ok for some rain and riding alone- But it is a compromise if you have fender mounts.
Whatever you use- You want long flaps. That is the real key to staying clean and not spraying others.
I am a fan of Honjos with two struts in the back.

Fenders off-road? Makes sense in theory but it can be an accident waiting to happen. Much more debris (at least where I ride)- a stick in the fender can be a big problem- And this is not uncommon.

Good point thank you on that. I rode with front fenders on muddy conditions and all good so far. But i wanted also something on the rear.
Yes i do have fender mounts. yes front is ENVE fender.

I looked at Honjo and VO but they require a powder coat to color them black and i needed something quick.

John H.
11-28-2017, 10:51 AM
You can get black Honjo fenders from here-
http://sim-works.com/en/honjo

You may have to wait a bit for them- But he has them. I have several buddies who have them.

I wish Enve would have done a better job in considering their front fender/mounts.

Good point thank you on that. I rode with front fenders on muddy conditions and all good so far. But i wanted also something on the rear.
Yes i do have fender mounts. yes front is ENVE fender.

I looked at Honjo and VO but they require a powder coat to color them black and i needed something quick.

NoMoreParagon
11-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Much appreciated thanks a lot for the link.
Why don't you like the ENVE front fender? I found it pretty good. Very solid, easy to install/remove

John H.
11-28-2017, 11:07 AM
The Enve fender does not have enough coverage. An ideal front fender contours around the wheel (longer)- then you add a flap to increase the coverage even more.

I can install/remove my Honjo front fender in 2 minutes. It is the rear that takes some time-

I get that some people want to have quick release fenders- Depends on where you live, how much rain you get, how much you ride when it does rain, and how much your tolerance for getting wet and dirty is-

I developed an appreciation for fenders while I was still racing. When I was racing, I was going to complete the scheduled ride- rain or not. So I always had a bike that wore full fenders all winter.
The bike started as a hack- But got nicer and nicer as time went on. Eventually it was a custom ti bike with full fenders and long reach brakes.
Today it is a Parlee Chebacco with Honjo fenders.
But I draw the line at 3 hours in the rain now.

Much appreciated thanks a lot for the link.
Why don't you like the ENVE front fender? I found it pretty good. Very solid, easy to install/remove

NoMoreParagon
11-28-2017, 11:10 AM
The Enve fender does not have enough coverage. An ideal front fender contours around the wheel (longer)- then you add a flap to increase the coverage even more.

I can install/remove my Honjo front fender in 2 minutes. It is the rear that takes some time-

I get that some people want to have quick release fenders- Depends on where you live, how much rain you get, how much you ride when it does rain, and how much your tolerance for getting wet and dirty is-

I developed an appreciation for fenders while I was still racing. When I was racing, I was going to complete the scheduled ride- rain or not. So I always had a bike that wore full fenders all winter.
The bike started as a hack- But got nicer and nicer as time went on. Eventually it was a custom ti bike with full fenders and long reach brakes.
Today it is a Parlee Chebacco with Honjo fenders.
But I draw the line at 3 hours in the rain now.

Thanks for clarifying. Makes total sense. I am still new and experiencing with fenders so I am sure at the end will lean to something with more coverage as you described/