PDA

View Full Version : I am not a bike connoisseur

weisan
11-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Just someone who enjoys riding, working on, and looking at bikes. In fact, I dislike anyone trying to slap that label on me as if all of a sudden I need to live up to THEIR standards now. No...I am my own man. In my own little world of bikes, I am the boss, I call the shots.

AngryScientist
11-27-2017, 07:08 PM
http://design-4-life.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/dont-label-me.png

cmg
11-27-2017, 08:39 PM
so, the back story is....................

ColonelJLloyd
11-27-2017, 08:51 PM
kinda sewer rat. . .

dustyrider
11-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Not even in the ironic sense? :confused:

cmbicycles
11-27-2017, 08:59 PM
http://design-4-life.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/dont-label-me.png
You found a sticker for your bike? ;)

roguedog
11-27-2017, 10:42 PM
that was awesome. i really wish we had the like button sometimes!

You found a sticker for your bike? ;)

marciero
11-28-2017, 05:04 AM
Not even in the ironic sense? :confused:

With multiple Weigles, assortment of other bikes of various types...
one might suspect irony here, though perhaps a little out of character.
Weisan-no back story??

Edit: Ah-just saw your other post...

oldpotatoe
11-28-2017, 06:15 AM
Weisan-no back story??

Link to 'other' post?..need some wintertime entertainment..:)

my pal OldPotatoe by saying this : old pal's sometimes tiresome and persistent jab at disc brakes, fat tires as pure marketing bs can get...errh...a bit tiresome at best.

ahh found it..I guess I struck some kind of nerve or something..tiresome..oh well, if you used the far superior Italian threading or used tubulars and not be a ...well, ya know...:)

Sir, it's about bikes, toys and opinions are everywhere, from 'FNG's to guys who have been in this silly biz for decades..but toys..no reason to get tired or tweaked or whatever..toys.

At worse, it's doing nothing to teach up and coming cyclists to learn discernment and exercise good judgements when interacting with marketing materials and bike shops

But not my job or desire or anybody else's to be the source expert or responsible for anybody either getting into or staying around 'bikes'..nope, not me, just my opinion. Yup, some things in bikes these days are market driven, shocking, eh?

Got a bike? Go ride it..easy.

weisan
11-28-2017, 06:40 AM
old pal, I am just making a point there, nothing personal, hope your big heart will forgive my trespass.
And I did used the words "sometimes" and "a bit"...

R3awak3n
11-28-2017, 06:41 AM
old pal, I am just making a point there, nothing personal, hope your big heart will forgive my trespass.
And I did used the words "sometimes" and "a bit"...

were just missing the smiley face :)

weisan
11-28-2017, 06:43 AM
were just missing the smiley face :)

er....but I call him "pal" ;)

oldpotatoe
11-28-2017, 06:48 AM
er....but I call him "pal" ;)

you call everybody 'pal'.

nothing personal

I have an idea, if you don't want it to be 'personal', don't use somebody's 'name'..eh?

PM sent. That's a Private Message'..for info...

weisan
11-28-2017, 06:48 AM
you call everybody 'pal'.

true...but I don't send everybody a personal gift.

bicycletricycle
11-28-2017, 07:16 AM
R u a bicycle gourmet?

paredown
11-28-2017, 07:40 AM
I'm curious as to how bicycles taste?:banana:

weisan
11-28-2017, 08:00 AM
http://www.bicyclescreatechange.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/My-Cupcake-Addiction-by-Elise-Strachan.jpg

happycampyer
11-28-2017, 08:11 AM
R u a bicycle gourmet?
More like a bicycle gourmand. And going by the how many bikes owned since 1978 thread, Spoke is a bicycle glutton.

marciero
11-28-2017, 08:44 AM
More like a bicycle gourmand. And going by the how many bikes owned since 1978 thread, Spoke is a bicycle glutton.

or epicure? or gastronome?
And are those marzipan cyclists on top of that bundt-type cake?

marciero
11-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Weisan-no back story??

...and I had forgotten about Sachs (it of toptube-clamped fame..or was that a Weigle...), the Merckx, etc..

weisan
11-28-2017, 10:24 AM
toptube-clamped fame

That's the other "misconception".

I know pals been making fun of me whenever I clamp my bikes on the top tube. Now here's something you need to know about that Sachs. The tubes that were used to make that bike is from a thousand-year-old cast iron, heavy and strong. If the same tubes were used to smash on this guy here...believe me you, he will surely die. That's how strong it is. So when you guys talked about the potential harm or damage I might bring to my bikes by clamping them over the top tubes...I just laugh, because apparently, you dunno what you talkin' bout. Besides it kinda reminds me of my mum who keep telling me when I was growing up, not to drink anything cold, because it's not good for me. :rolleyes: :p

http://media.comicbook.com/2017/07/hulk-1012357.jpg

As for everything else, the answer is Windex.

http://image.minyanville.com/assets/FCK_May2009/Image/Freddy/0709/packages/02/ul_windex_b_300x250.jpg

weisan
11-28-2017, 10:33 AM

I would never criticize Spoke pal or anybody else with their style or habit of bike collection. I speak for myself and only for myself. There are a few criteria that I use personally to determine whether I will induct a concubine into the harlem...er...I mean, add another bike to my collection. They are:

1) Accessible.

Is the price within my reach? Can I afford it with my budget? I will never lust after something that is beyond my reach. I know my limits and I will never risk my kids college funds on some stupid bikes.

2) Do we connect at some levels?

The bike must speak to me and I, to him/her. If there's no spark or connection, I say, better to part ways early or not get together at all.

3) Has some meaning.

Does the bike signify something? For example, the Weigle that I got. It's special. It belongs to someone who got it as a graduation gift...some 40 freakin' years ago! 1977 to be exact. That was roughly the time when Witcomb ended their relationship in the US and Peter picked up his own business. So, it's one of his earliest creations. And on it, I can see the same level of dedication, attention to details and meticulous handiwork that he is so well known for. It's as if he has given it the same attention that he did now some 40 years later. He did the best he could with his skills, and the tools available at that time. That's more than good enough for me. That's all you can ask of anyone.
http://alicehui.com/bike/Weigle/young_weigle.jpg
http://alicehui.com/bike/Weigle/weigle_mixte.jpg
4) And lastly, an obvious one. It has to be functional (rideable). A bicycle to me, first and foremost, is a tool, it's a human invention, it exists to serve mankind. If I can't use it, then I would rather not have it.

That is all.

R3awak3n
11-28-2017, 10:44 AM
everyone has different styles of acquiring and owning bikes and to me, to each their own.

Personally I am the kind that rather have 3 super bikes instead of 10 ok bikes.

That is just me though, I nerd out and buy some nice stuff, sometimes some stuff is silly, sometimes it makes a difference and its worth the price. I don't think campy super record is better than chorus but if I can get SR for a good price I will get that. I am a tire snob, I will ride what I like even it costs a lot.

Definitely a bike snob here but I have had cheap bikes that I abolutely love to ride, I don't think price equals fun, sometimes the opposite. I hate to baby bikes, if I have it, I will ride it, I will put it on the bike rack and drive 15 hours with it. I will lay the thing on the floor. I will not cry if it gets a dent (will be disapointed if it cracks though).

weisan
11-28-2017, 10:54 AM
(will be disapointed if it cracks though).

R3 pal, you have a rough year for sure. I would buy the lottery if i were you.

R3awak3n
11-28-2017, 11:02 AM
R3 pal, you have a rough year for sure. I would buy the lottery if i were you.

I know :(

Tell you what, I am still ridding the hampsten and its cracked. its the least of my broken bikes. I think you would be proud, still rides great.

weisan
11-28-2017, 11:07 AM
I know :(

Tell you what, I am still ridding the hampsten and its cracked. its the least of my broken bikes. I think you would be proud, still rides great.

I am proud of you.

Same thing with my taylor on the head tube. I just slapped on some stickers and keep goin'!

:p

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697950050&stc=1&d=1511759349

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697950049&stc=1&d=1511759341

rallizes
11-28-2017, 11:09 AM
I am proud of you.

Same thing with my taylor on the head tube. I just slapped on some stickers and keep goin'!

:p

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697950050&stc=1&d=1511759349

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697950049&stc=1&d=1511759341

This is interesting

paredown
11-28-2017, 11:10 AM
I would never criticize Spoke pal or anybody else with their style or habit of bike collection. I speak for myself and only for myself. There are a few criteria that I use personally to determine whether I will induct a concubine into the harlem...er...I mean, add another bike to my collection. They are:

1) Accessible.

Is the price within my reach? Can I afford it with my budget? I will never lust after something that is beyond my reach. I know my limits and I will never risk my kids college funds on some stupid bikes.

2) Do we connect at some levels?

The bike must speak to me and I, to him/her. If there's no spark or connection, I say, better to part ways early or not get together at all.

3) Has some meaning.

Does the bike signify something? For example, the Weigle that I got. It's special. It belongs to someone who got it as a graduation gift...some 40 freakin' years ago! 1977 to be exact. That was roughly the time when Witcomb ended their relationship in the US and Peter picked up his own business. So, it's one of his earliest creations. And on it, I can see the same level of dedication, attention to details and meticulous handiwork that he is so well known for. It's as if he has given it the same attention that he did now some 40 years later. He did the best he could with his skills, and the tools available at that time. That's more than good enough for me. That's all you can ask of anyone.

4) And lastly, an obvious one. It has to be functional (rideable). A bicycle to me, first and foremost, is a tool, it's a human invention, it exists to serve mankind. If I can't use it, then I would rather not have it.

That is all.
Well said. I think I would acquire a few more as you are doing if I were in a better situation financially. Especially from some of the North American makers that I admire--including (but not limited to) Richard Sachs and JP Weigle.

weisan
11-28-2017, 11:10 AM
This is interesting

I know rallizes pal... I know that will get your attention.