PDA

View Full Version : So I did my first cross race yesterday...

chakatrain
09-22-2006, 12:27 AM
...and only completed one lap. I had decent enough legs & lungs, at least for a weekend warrior road rider, but got unnerved by all the other riders. The competition aspect of riding is brand spanking new; I usually ride in a Ramble sort of mindset where everyone takes care of everyone, even if we are trying to put our friends in a "spot of bother" from time to time.

It was really crazy to have all those other riders around me basically trying to get around me. Made me want to just chill out until I was at the very back, then just ride my ride.

Any suggestions to get used to that kind of thing?

I'm going back out next week and going to give it another try.

shinomaster
09-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Show up to the start line early. Then sprint in front of everyone and get a good lead...and don't look back! Don't be afraid to hold your ground.

Kines
09-22-2006, 04:57 AM
testosterone patch.

Too Tall
09-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Hup Hup!!! Do some reading about Euro cross culture and how they train....that'll get your blood up ;)

Bruce K
09-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Raw meat and a cup of blood before bed on Friday. :rolleyes:

But seriously, just relax and go for it. I race the few cross races that I do for fun (yes cross IS fun). I do them to see what I've got and because it's so different.

Does your local club have cross practices or clinics? Ours has a weekly gathering and there are moments when everyone is out there killin' each other. Madisons (relays) are all out elbows flyin' hammer fests up front with us slower folks chasing on the back.

If the pack unnerves you let them go until you reach a thinner part of the herd and then target the rider in front of you and go get him/her. After that, target the next. See how far up you can get before the end.

Eventually you will get comfortable in bigger packs.

But most of all, relax and enjoy it.

BK

stevep
09-22-2006, 07:25 AM
relax. settle in, dont go big red zone in the excitement of the first lap.
then when it stretches out as bruce says... try to catch the guy in front of you and try to not let the guy behind you catch you.
if there is no one in front of you that is excellent.
the corollary..if there is no one bhind you it is not so good

Ray
09-22-2006, 07:43 AM
if there is no one in front of you that is excellent.
the corollary..if there is no one bhind you it is not so good
The nice thing about cross/crits/short course mtb - there's ALWAYS someone behind you, even if they're also ahead of you.

To the OP, all the advice you're getting is great. Keep trying for a while and you'll probably get more comfortable and learn to love it. But if not, don't worry. Racing's not for everyone! I did a number of mtb races early on and never learned to like it. I loved riding the courses, but I always enjoyed the 'ramble' aspect of it too - stopping, hanging out, enjoying the views, giving each other a hard time, etc. Just playing basically. Racing felt too serious, like something was at stake although clearly nothing was. I did well for my experience level and age group but just never enjoyed it enough to stay with it. So I stopped and never looked back. I love riding as much as ever, almost 10 years later. Most people around here love racing and I hope you do too. So give yourself a good honest chance to find out. But its also fine if you decide its not for you.

-Ray

92degrees
09-22-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I'm getting spanked at the races. Worse than I should be ATMO. When I ride the local cross course by myself I feel great and my lap times are pretty decent. Put me in there with a bunch of guys and I'm sucking wind immediately and feel like crap. I think it's stress and nerves? Just need more experience. I hope.

crossjunkee
09-22-2006, 09:45 AM
The hardest part of your first cross race is showing up, and registering. After that, it's just a training ride. Hang in there, everybody is in the same boat. The people trying to run over you on the first lap will usually red line shortly after. You can then start picking them off, because you played it cool. Also, the race will only be 45 minutes max, and you can usually always walk back to the start if you encounter a problem. You'll also make new friends at a cross race, they're much more social in my opinion.

Great job for attempting something new! I always make a point to encourage new cross racers when they show up. It's a great sport, keep it up!

Karin Kirk
09-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Good to hear that you are going back to try it again, Chaka. That's the spirit! The first lap will likely be the most hectic and after that it will settle down and riders will be naturally sorted by speed. So hang in there and let the dust (or mud) settle and see how it shakes out. Try to stick with it through to the end, because only then will you get a taste of the whole thing.

And, this is contrary to Shino's advice, but if your primary goal is not to have so many people around you, you might also consider starting in the back and staying in your own comfort zone. The problem with that approach is that you will also be with less-skilled riders who are more likely to cause you trouble. But either way, it will sort out by mid-race and then I bet you will feel better about it after you hang in there for a bit.

Good luck!

Ray
09-22-2006, 10:10 AM
The hardest part of your first cross race is showing up, and registering. After that, it's just a training ride. Hang in there, everybody is in the same boat. The people trying to run over you on the first lap will usually red line shortly after. You can then start picking them off, because you played it cool.
I'm the last one to be telling racing war stories, but this reminded me of my first mtb race and it was one of the funniest experiences I've had on a bike. It was a beginner class race, back in '97 when mtb racing was BIG, about a zillion and a half people at the start line. The gun sounds and everybody's off like a SHOT - full on dead sprint. I'm quickly off the back wondering what happened. I catch up to the rear of the pack before we get into the single track, a quarter mile or so later. Then we ride through the woods a little bit, up a good sized climb, down the other side and then start the second good climb of the race. Did I mention it was about 103 in the shade and very humid that day? It was. Anyway, about a quarter of the way up the second climb, there are suddenly just LOADs of spectators in the woods. I couldn't figure out why they picked that place to come and watch the race but I was very happy to see such a high level of support! As I got through the 'watching' area, it started to occur to me that all of them had bikes with race numbers and most of them were either puking or lying on the ground moaning or doubled over their bikes trying to catch a breath. And finally - I'm a little slow - it occurs to me that its a very large percentage of the idiots who went out waaaaay too fast and who completely blew before we were a mile into the race. I started laughing, almost hysterically, and had a slightly tough time on that climb. But I settled into a rhythm, took things as fast as I could and maintain it, and finished well inside the top half of those that finished and probably in the top 15-20% of those who actually started, most of whom never finished. Cross races aren't quite that heavily populated, but similar things can happen I'd imagine.

Just have fun with it and see how it goes.

-Ray

coylifut
09-22-2006, 10:21 AM
I think Karin Kirk has the best advice for you. Cross starts as a full on sprint and is utter carnage for the first lap at the beginner levels. However, by the end of lap two, it generally turns into a personal time trial on dirt. The only thing I can add is look way up the course and past the other riders. They should be treated as moving obstacles. This will lower your "perceived" speed and you'll go far faster. Remember, look at where you want to go, not at what you don't want to hit. If you are focusing on "that rock," your front tire will be sucked right into it.

have fun.

BumbleBeeDave
09-22-2006, 10:23 AM
. . . and I'm sure everyone will give you plenty of room. Just tell the judges all the other riders were spitting beer at you . . . ;)

BBD

zank
09-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Chaka, first off, welcome to cross! You have taken your first step to absolute addiction.

One thing to keep in mind about your discomfort in the group...the first 15 minutes of a cross race is the absolute hardest part and harriest part. But it does get sorted out pretty quickly. As you settle into a group, you will find areas of the course where you can put your group-mates into bother and there will be sections where they put you into a world of hurt. Try to hang on!!! For one, it will teach you to hurt more than ever before. Two, it will push your skills to the max. Another tactic is to let them go a bit and then catch them in the areas where you are quicker. This can help you dose your effort. But on the flip side, if you can hang on where they are quicker, you can gap them in the sections you are quicker. The latter is the preferred method if you are concerned about your placing.

Above all else, have fun with it. If riding alone helps you feel comfortable and your enjoyment goes up, by all means do it that way. No matter what, cross will help you with your bike handling. It also helps me keep my motivation to ride my bike up when the cold sets in and the snow flies. Enjoy!

stevep
09-22-2006, 10:54 AM
. . . and I'm sure everyone will give you plenty of room. Just tell the judges all the other riders were spitting beer at you . . . ;)

BBD

great move by bart. imagine pulling that off at full on effort in a big race.
hats off to the guy. he can ride a bike.
and that guy wont be spitting beer on anyone again.

Climb01742
09-22-2006, 12:55 PM
with almost any kind of racing, it'll come more easily each time you do it. experience is the great calm-er.

chakatrain
09-28-2006, 12:04 AM
All,

Thanks for the advice and encourgement. I got back on the proverbial horse and rode in tonight's DFL Cross Dressing Cyclo Cross ride in San Francisco's Crocker-Amazon park. I started way at the back, rode a calm first lap, and focused on my riding, even passing a few people. Pretty fun time & hard enough.

Many thanks to all of you. Will be back for more.

EDIT: forgot to say that I finished the race (!), even though I was pretty dead tired at the end.

shinomaster
09-28-2006, 12:15 AM
All,

Thanks for the advice and encourgement. I got back on the proverbial horse and rode in tonight's DFL Cross Dressing Cyclo Cross ride in San Francisco's Crocker-Amazon park. I started way at the back, rode a calm first lap, and focused on my riding, even passing a few people. Pretty fun time & hard enough.

Many thanks to all of you. Will be back for more.

EDIT: forgot to say that I finished the race (!), even though I was pretty dead tired at the end.

I'm plenty nervous about this Sundays race, my first of the year. Even though my expectations are pretty low, and my bike can barly shift, I have the false hope of sprinting out into a good start, and riding well....I'll let you know..

d_douglas
09-28-2006, 02:30 AM
Having been freaked out by Crit racing when i first got into road bikes, I decided to stick with running competitively.

My first race was a bit like Ray's first MTB race - except I was one of the idiots who took off sticking with the pack of elite runners. I was dropped immediately, but fought to stay with them.
Result: exhausted, sick, thoroughly demoralized and wondering if I liked racing at all.

Next race, I decided to stick in the pack and take it easy/steady for the first bit. I let the real runners take off, the wannabe real runners chase, then got into my own rhythm. By the halfway mark of the race, I was feeling great and chasing down competitors one by one (and of course, getting passed by the odd one too). Nevertheless, I felt happy about running, had a good time and ended up finishing in the top 25% of the field.

If you are not out there to win (as most of us are not) then find a pace that makes you happy and stick with it. You will improve naturally and as your confidence increases, you will be more interested in brushing shoulders with the heavies in packs.